LOTROCommunity

The Random Crap Thread

Neither of those things should be charity based, though. That's the duty of the government to sort out. Stop spending so much on unnecessary military expenses and start looking after their own civilians.

I agree completely. But if I were going to give money, I still might spend it to help feed children - even if the government should be doing it.

It is political. The republican party and the libertarian party are pretty much against this: "start looking after their own civilians". Meaning they don't support programs that take care for anyone poor - such as children in poor families. Many Democrats also don't really care much about hunger and poverty. 

Yeah, the US spends so many billions on war (making many politicians very rich in the process), but congress is unwilling to make sure children in the US have enough to eat. They will gladly cut a few million used to feed children at school (to make sure the children get at least one healthy meal a day). The US is a bizarre mix of poor and middle class, and then professionals and wealthy who for the most part don't really mind having some serious poverty around them in the country. Of course there are exceptions - but we are a country with a huge range in incomes and wealth. San Francisco for example, has so many rich professionals (and very wealthy) and right in the city so many are very poor and homeless. The bad side of the city is the huge amount of homeless, runaways, drug users, and very poor families.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree   Doro likes to troll sometimes and post crap, he has been doing this for three years, if anyone has been here for any period of time they know this and can handle it. I don't see any need f

If one was to go to the extra life forums and mention another charity would they be banned for life?

Silly move banning Doro. I left the other forum to avoid silly moderation decisions, but it looks like we've got our own Sapience here now.

I agree with both of you guys, there are far more worthwhile charities out there, I feel sympathy for those with ALS, but as was said before it's not as prevalent as many other illness that seem to be underfunded to a much larger extent.

I also won't normally donate to charities that support situations outside my own country (except disaster relief funds like the tsunamis and hurricane emergencies, they're special cases), not because I don't want to help those people in other countries but because I feel that far too many issues inside the UK are being underfunded when money is flowing out of the country through charities. The saying charity begins at home is very much what I believe in. It's not because I'm heartless it's just that I see so many homeless and sick people here not being cared for when more and more of our money is being sent out of the country to help people in similar situations elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

I agree completely. But if I were going to give money, I still might spend it to help feed children - even if the government should be doing it.

It is political. The republican party and the libertarian party are pretty much against this: "start looking after their own civilians". Meaning they don't support programs that take care for anyone poor - such as children in poor families. Many Democrats also don't really care much about hunger and poverty. 

Yeah, the US spends so many billions on war (making many politicians very rich in the process), but congress is unwilling to make sure children in the US have enough to eat. They will gladly cut a few million used to feed children at school (to make sure the children get at least one healthy meal a day). The US is a bizarre mix of poor and middle class, and then professionals and wealthy who for the most part don't really mind having some serious poverty around them in the country. Of course there are exceptions - but we are a country with a huge range in incomes and wealth. San Francisco for example, has so many rich professionals (and very wealthy) and right in the city so many are very poor and homeless. The bad side of the city is the huge amount of homeless, runaways, drug users, and very poor families.

I agree with both of you guys, there are far more worthwhile charities out there, I feel sympathy for those with ALS, but as was said before it's not as prevalent as many other illness that seem to be underfunded to a much larger extent.

I also won't normally donate to charities that support situations outside my own country (except disaster relief funds like the tsunamis and hurricane emergencies, they're special cases), not because I don't want to help those people in other countries but because I feel that far too many issues inside the UK are being underfunded when money is flowing out of the country through charities. The saying charity begins at home is very much what I believe in. It's not because I'm heartless it's just that I see so many homeless and sick people here not being cared for when more and more of our money is being sent out of the country to help people in similar situations elsewhere.

Full agreement all round. But I'm a little harsher in my reasoning.

I don't like charities for a number of reasons, and I don't think the average Joe should be asked for money towards a cause. That should be the domain of the rich, who can easily make changes that the majority can't.

But I also don't like charities where the issue isn't that prevalent. 30,000 people are currently suffering from MND in the US (I can't find any figures for a world-wide thing). That's 0.01% of the population, a figure I personally would consider valid enough to apply the word 'only' to. More people die from car accidents in the US than MND. In the grand scale of things, this is not something that people should be so concerned about (or at least fake concern for).

I apply a logical analysis to these sorts of issues, and I would not consider MND to be such an issue that the western world, including the rich and famous, should be making such a fuss about. Not when there are other more prevalent issues out there still. Sounds harsh, but that's how I am.

Full agreement all round. But I'm a little harsher in my reasoning.

I don't like charities for a number of reasons, and I don't think the average Joe should be asked for money towards a cause. That should be the domain of the rich, who can easily make changes that the majority can't.

But I also don't like charities where the issue isn't that prevalent. 30,000 people are currently suffering from MND in the US (I can't find any figures for a world-wide thing). That's 0.01% of the population, a figure I personally would consider valid enough to apply the word 'only' to. More people die from car accidents in the US than MND. In the grand scale of things, this is not something that people should be so concerned about (or at least fake concern for).

I apply a logical analysis to these sorts of issues, and I would not consider MND to be such an issue that the western world, including the rich and famous, should be making such a fuss about. Not when there are other more prevalent issues out there still. Sounds harsh, but that's how I am.

and I wish more people were as harsh, it's getting out of hand and it's time we made a stand and prioritized, I have much sympathy with many of these charities and the people they represent but enough is enough, some of them just aren't as high priority in the grand scheme of things as others, that's a fact, it's harsh but necessary.

And just for the record, Hello Kitty is not a cat.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/28/world/asia/hello-kitty-revelation/   (I picked CNN's rendition because of the punny title)

Mr. Sanrio set it up for 40 years........ epic trolling? ^_^

I still can't work this one out. Hello Kitty is clearly a cat. Whiskers and everything. But he claims she's an English schoolgirl? What in the fuck does he think we are over here?!

I think we have a winner in the ice bucket challenge, 2 scientists at the south pole put on shorts, t-shirts and sandals and then dug up some fresh ice and did the challenge.  They had to rush back inside afterwards to stop from getting hypothermia.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/scots-scientist-endures-ultimate-ice-4132044

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY IBRAHIMOVIC!

He's broken the goal record for the Swedish National Team tonight with 2 goals, Going from 48 international goals to 50!

And he will add to that total!

http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/video/?vid=2961347&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=permalink&utm_campaign=tv4play.se

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY IBRAHIMOVIC!

He's broken the goal record for the Swedish National Team tonight with 2 goals, Going from 48 international goals to 50!

And he will add to that total!

http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/video/?vid=2961347&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=permalink&utm_campaign=tv4play.se

That back heel goal... how he's not in the conversation with Messi and Ronaldo, I don't know (at the very least, in the conversation for best goal scorers).

Also...

Surfa like it's 1999!

That back heel goal... how he's not in the conversation with Messi and Ronaldo, I don't know (at the very least, in the conversation for best goal scorers).

Also...

Surfa like it's 1999!

I think the guy in that advert used to be a presenter on a music channel in Sweden called ZTV. He was, in his own words, very metrosexual in them days ;)

ZTV had the decency to broadcast Woodstock '99 live :D

Stayed up all night to watch(and record, on VHS)Metallica.

As for Zlatan. He scores more outrageous goals than either Messi or Ronaldo. Backheels, Flicks, Longrange ballistic missiles, Ridiculous Bicycle Kicks from way out, etc etc.

One thing is for sure, Sweden instead of Portugal in the World Cup and it would've gotten interesting in that group. Germany - Sweden has yielded 16 goals(total) in the last 2 matches they've played eachother. (4-4 in Germany, 5-3 to Germany in Sweden).

One player that it's a shame missed the World Cup, aside from Ibra, is Radamel Falcao. Imagine how far Colombia would've gone with that guy in the team.

He scores some crazy goals too!