LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Spidey

Archeage

I will admit I haven't given this game a chance at all. I looked at the first quest and how it was given, immediately felt like I was transported back to 2002, and quit playing.

Discuss.

I can see myself trying it. I don't mind WoW-ish quests, and it seems the crafting/other non-typical activities are interesting. I could give it a try.

I read that the problem with this game is when you start, they guide you into playing it like a typical MMO - and into doing a lot of quests - so it is hard to see the unique parts of the game unless you level up and forget questing.

It's interesting Trion is involved. I am hoping actually I can play Archeage on a lower end laptop - which it seem is possible (it's more like WoW and can be played on lower end PCs because it is not a new game at all).

Was very excited when it was in development. Then saw what happened to it in beta. Lost interest at that point.

+1

Like Mephi I was excited about it when it was in development.

1.Then in beta (real developent beta in Korea) game interesting pieces were dropped or modified, and game was severely changed.  

2.many smaller and bigger shortcomings seem to be WAI, as they were never fixed or improved.

3.AA severe cheat & bot problem is unfixable because game relies on 3rd party software in everything - starting from game engine (both graphical and netcode is CE) and even on safety measures (HackShield that was beaten by cheaters & data miners 1 year before Korean release).

4. Playboy costumes, modern clothes, cars, etc + player tools that are allowing to add everything including vending machines, pop posters, refrigeators and all random stuff you can think of.

5. Last but not least, game adopted microtransaction model.

Game was promising in 2011, when in development, but developer changed AA into something else & failed to deliver on most of other important things.

AA is kinda like Lotro,  but it all went downwards into unfixable state before it even released.  (Korean beta was going on for ~2 years)

How old is this game? The way quests are presented it appears as a decade old game. Maybe I've just been spoiled by games like ToR, GW2, TSW, and ESO.

Archeage is 1,5 year old.

You've been spoiled though.   There are other mmorpg-like games released relatively recently that have similar questing - examples are : Wildstar, Neverwinter or Blade&Soul.   I am sure you would be able to find more.

Anyway imho quests while being bad and boring - are not AA main problem, better quests would not save AA in my eyes. Not in the slightest.

I don't know what game you guys were checking out, but I played a buttload of ArcheAge earlier this morning, and had an absolute blast! Yes, it has an "old-school" feel, but I don't see that as a detriment. The game runs great (I have the graphics all the way at Ultra on my laptop under Dx11, by the way), looks beautiful, and is really, really fun. I wouldn't call it the most challenging game ever made, but I'm also still in the low level section of the game, so that's to be expected.

At this point, I can see myself playing the hell out of this game when it goes Live, especially if they swap out the Korean NPC audio for English equivalents.

I don't know what game you guys were checking out, but I played a buttload of ArcheAge earlier this morning, and had an absolute blast! Yes, it has an "old-school" feel, but I don't see that as a detriment. The game runs great (I have the graphics all the way at Ultra on my laptop under Dx11, by the way), looks beautiful, and is really, really fun. I wouldn't call it the most challenging game ever made, but I'm also still in the low level section of the game, so that's to be expected.

At this point, I can see myself playing the hell out of this game when it goes Live, especially if they swap out the Korean NPC audio for English equivalents.

Same one you've been playing, we just like diffrent things and have diffrent expectations it seems.  As for 'old-school'  -  there are only 2 good 'old school' things ArcheAge has:

1. seamless world similarly to UO or vanilla WoW or few other old mmorpgs

2. separate servers (virtual world) game concept  (most of it's meaning was trashed in real beta though, so it does not matter much now)

Most other 'old school things'  (which are not that many actually) - are negatives.

Good for you if you have a blast.  For me though AA is propably gretest disappointment in MMORPG gaming in last 5 years.

I've been playing ArcheAge this weekend in Closed Beta Event 2. Artistically, it reminds me a little of Knight Online, my very first MMO (another Korean import).

Leveling through quests is only a very small part of the game. However, that's about all there is time to do in a single beta event weekend.

The crafting and tradeskills system is incredibly complex. There's even a music system. And lots of PvP.

It will be interesting seeing this evolve. I've really enjoyed the responsiveness of Trion's developers when it comes to their own titles. However, with ArcheAge, they're just localizing and operating it. Even the tiniest change to the game seems to require weeks or months to get approved and implemented by XL Games. I imagine this is really frustrating for Trion, and will be frustrating for Trion's customers.

Just as an example, there are 18 different dimensions to control the size and shape of my nose. That's billions of different nose possibilities. But there are only 8 skin tones to choose from. Four months ago, Trion said it had already been working with XL for a while already on getting some appearance changes to better suit the diversity found in the western market, and there's still no sign of them.

Just as an example, there are 18 different dimensions to control the size and shape of my nose. That's billions of different nose possibilities. But there are only 8 skin tones to choose from. Four months ago, Trion said it had already been working with XL for a while already on getting some appearance changes to better suit the diversity found in the western market, and there's still no sign of them.

I created an character recently only to find that they looked like they'd come straight out of Deliverance. Aesthetically speaking this is not a nice game.

How far ranging is the open PVP?  What are the limitations?

I was interested in ArcheAge but with limited play time, I have little desire to spend my time dealing with people coming into my home, craft area, or local tavern and attacking me because they can.

How far ranging is the open PVP?  What are the limitations?

I was interested in ArcheAge but with limited play time, I have little desire to spend my time dealing with people coming into my home, craft area, or local tavern and attacking me because they can.

This is the one thing that makes me unsure if I'll try the game. Full time pvp just isn't my thing.

This is the one thing that makes me unsure if I'll try the game. Full time pvp just isn't my thing.

That's how I feel.

I love the look of the game and its gameplay but I don't want to be stressed that I'm going to lose all the work I have put into making something etc by being attacked.

That's how I feel.

I love the look of the game and its gameplay but I don't want to be stressed that I'm going to lose all the work I have put into making something etc by being attacked.

I know there's quite the argument over whether Trion should give in to those who want to just PvE and have a PvE server. Some say the game should try to reach a broader audience and others say people should accept the game as it's being made and not expect it to change for them.. that without the pvp, a lot of the game would become meaningless.

I can see both sides, but I'm beginning to think it's better for games to focus on a target audience rather that trying (and failing) to please everyone.

There is talk that Trion might launch the game with at least a few PvE servers, shutting off the open world PvP unless you flag for it. This is unconfirmed, but they are said to be considering it.

It wasn't terribly hard for me to avoid PvP. I only saw a hostile player once in about 20 hours of time I spent playing. I suppose this might change when there are more characters at max level who are bored, though.

The trial system is hilarious. I usually kept a chat tab open for that, just to read what defendants and jurors were saying.

It wasn't terribly hard for me to avoid PvP. I only saw a hostile player once in about 20 hours of time I spent playing. I suppose this might change when there are more characters at max level who are bored, though.

The trial system is hilarious. I usually kept a chat tab open for that, just to read what defendants and jurors were saying.

I only played for 10 hours or so, never saw a single enemy player once. Lots of high level players in the low level zones, though. I expect they were farming for crafting materials, but I did have one or two that watched over me, and saved my bacon a couple of times, when I got into a bit of a pickle (like when I pulled a named mob with three stars).

And yet, people who know the game well have said it is mainly a PvP game - that PvP is a main component of it. It seems like it is weaker in quests and group content than PvP.

And yet, people who know the game well have said it is mainly a PvP game - that PvP is a main component of it. It seems like it is weaker in quests and group content than PvP.

Oh yes, PvP is certainly the most obvious thing to do. But there's also crafting, economy, and roleplaying, which are all extensively supported. If you like these other things and PvP is getting in your way, you can join a bunch of players who will happily protect your activities. It's really impossible to do everything yourself in ArcheAge (and do it well), so this kind of cooperation and diversity is really important.

There are only two 3-player dungeons for each faction (one around level 20-25 and one around level 30-35) and one 5-player dungeon (level 45-50). I think there's a 10-player PvE raid in the Korean version, but I don't think that's planned for Trion's initial release.

Despite the lack of PvE dungeons and raids, I'd call the majority of the game at max level "group content" since players benefit so obviously from working together and sharing their strengths. Just think of the entire game as one big raid, with every encounter completely unscripted.

• Upvote 1

+1

Like Mephi I was excited about it when it was in development.

1.Then in beta (real developent beta in Korea) game interesting pieces were dropped or modified, and game was severely changed.  

2.many smaller and bigger shortcomings seem to be WAI, as they were never fixed or improved.

3.AA severe cheat & bot problem is unfixable because game relies on 3rd party software in everything - starting from game engine (both graphical and netcode is CE) and even on safety measures (HackShield that was beaten by cheaters & data miners 1 year before Korean release).

4. Playboy costumes, modern clothes, cars, etc + player tools that are allowing to add everything including vending machines, pop posters, refrigeators and all random stuff you can think of.

5. Last but not least, game adopted microtransaction model.

Game was promising in 2011, when in development, but developer changed AA into something else & failed to deliver on most of other important things.

AA is kinda like Lotro,  but it all went downwards into unfixable state before it even released.  (Korean beta was going on for ~2 years)

Think it was you who pointed out to me the direction it had taken in Korea Drul. Interested by what Fred is saying but would take a fair amount to convince me that the game is going to be something I'd like to play now. Understand where the Troll is coming from, but I'm with Drul on the disappointment of what was initially shown to what is now there.

There are activities in ArcheAge that will have you visit lands at war. You will get ganked. You will get robbed of your tradepack. You will get camped at a ressurection point.

You can avoid much PvP. Examples: by questing in contested zones during peacetimes, by limiting your landownership to safe zones, by crafting in safe zones, by fishing in 'fishing raids' rather than alone, by only shipping tradepacks on the same continent and using the daillies for your gilda needs.

But as gamers go, they'll prefer shortcuts, more efficient ways. And as it happens, ArcheAge has been designed for those to put you into possible PvP situations.

I will say this. ArcheAge is no game for 'carebears'. If you can't handle asshats, trolls and griefers, don't go there. Not saying the community is bad, it actually is a pretty decent community, but the game gives the few bad apples a lot of room. I think that adds to the fun, even if I'm not the kind of player that would ever grief/troll/asshat. It takes a different mindset than LOTRO to play ArcheAge. Embrace the gank. Expect the nasty. Find joy in it, and you'll defeat any wouldbe griefer. Instead of tears they'll harvest laughs and joy. Oh my. 

I've been playing ArcheAge this weekend in Closed Beta Event 2. Artistically, it reminds me a little of Knight Online, my very first MMO (another Korean import).

Leveling through quests is only a very small part of the game. However, that's about all there is time to do in a single beta event weekend.

The crafting and tradeskills system is incredibly complex. There's even a music system. And lots of PvP.

It will be interesting seeing this evolve. I've really enjoyed the responsiveness of Trion's developers when it comes to their own titles. However, with ArcheAge, they're just localizing and operating it. Even the tiniest change to the game seems to require weeks or months to get approved and implemented by XL Games. I imagine this is really frustrating for Trion, and will be frustrating for Trion's customers.

Trion is the Publisher only and that is a weakness. Some of the communication I've seen during alpha indicates to me that Trion and XLgames still have some ways to go to 'understand' eachother on the working floor level. South Koreans mean wholly different things than US folks when they say yes or no - in fact try to get a South Korean to ever say no, good luck with that.

Also it's looking rather clear to me that Trion's scope of changes to XLgames' code is very limited. It's of course at it's broadest concerning the contents of the in-game shop. But when it concerns gamecode that applies to KR/Ru localisations as well, you're basically looking at parameter level changes. The mere fact how loudly the change from 60/40 turn-in on stolen packs to 80/20 turn-in on stolen packs was heralded tells you something. If it's just changing a few numbers in the code, it can be negotiated. If it's adding or rewriting swaths of code, it's likely a no-go.

I'm at level 40 on alpha and I haven't even scratched the surface of many things. This game is going to provide me with many, many, many hours of solid entertainment.

Much of it isn't even going to be bothered by the occasional hackuser willing to risk losing his account to 'godmode kill anyone' or 'insta teleport' or 'insta spawn Kraken on my arse'.

The English audio is great. All throughout Alpha I was mesmerized by the cutscenes and the Korean. What was going on there? Now I know. And I like it.

Just noticed I got an invite for Beta 3 on the 14th but missed the e-mail! That sucks. Nothing yet for this round.