LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

It's the size of the plates in America that get me, I'm quite a skinny guy but I put on a load of weight from 2 weeks in Florida last year.

I remember going to one restaurant and ordering fried calamari for a starter, out came a huge plate of greasy, deep fried squid that could have fed 3 people. I honestly don't understand it, fried with some herbs and mayonnaise and a slice of lemon, fried calamari is a delicious thing, yet everybody I spoke to said "if you go there have the squid". It's like you all have very low expectations of what food should be. My main course was chicken breast in some sauce, I don't really remember, but out came three chicken breasts... yes three. Why serve so much? It seemed to me that everywhere I went quantity took precedence over quality.

*I've lost track of which thread this food conversation is going on in, so I posted this here!

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

Starters in most American chains aren't meant for one person. They're meant for several people to share.

This wasn't a chain, we went down and treated ourselves to a few days in Clearwater at some fancy hotel, it was the hotel restaurant. I don't remember the name of the hotel now. It's just one example though, everywhere we ate I found it difficult to finish my plate.

This wasn't a chain, we went down and treated ourselves to a few days in Clearwater at some fancy hotel, it was the hotel restaurant. I don't remember the name of the hotel now. It's just one example though, everywhere we ate I found it difficult to finish my plate.

Still, if it was that large, I'm quite sure it wasn't meant to be a personal starter. Shared starters seem to be quite the norm (except for in super expensive restaurants) in the US whilst the opposite is true in Europe.

And about size of plates, pub meals in the UK aren't exactly small either imo. :P

Still, if it was that large, I'm quite sure it wasn't meant to be a personal starter. Shared starters seem to be quite the norm (except for in super expensive restaurants) in the US whilst the opposite is true in Europe.

Found it, although the menu has changed since I was there. "fed 3 people" may have been an exaggeration but it was more than I am used to.

http://www.sandpearl.com/eGallery/Upload/Ocean%20Properties%20Ltd/Ocean%20Properties%20Ltd%20-%20OPAL%20-%20Sandpearl/Files/Caretta-DinnerMenu-5-1-2014.pdf

The plate size doesn't really concern me. They have to do it, otherwise they get shredded in online reviews by starving people who left with their big bodies hungry.

What concerns me is what's on the plate and what choices you have to get a reasonable amount of oil, other fats, rotten milks products (butter, cheese), sugar (rather, corn syrup) and salt. I see too many restaurants where there is no escape except ordering a salad with the dressing on the side. And even then, you have a piece of chicken on it, don't think it is prepared in any way that leaves it with the original calories.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-salads-pecan-crusted-chicken-as-served_f-ZmlkPTE4NTExOA.html

http://www.thehealthyeatingguide.com/cheesecake-factory-nutrition-information/

That's the kind of thing that needs to stop. And I don't understand why NY can have a law requiring a label in the menu and nobody else can.

Salads
Food                          Calories Carbs Sodium
Caesar Salad	                1280	23	1330
Caesar Salad with Chicken	1510	24	1450
Grilled Chicken Tostada Salad	1130	93	2150

My wife is a bit of a food tourist, she likes to drag us around Europe to eat and the latest fashionable restaurant, but I have to say, some of the best food I have ever eaten is always in tiny little bistro places in Italy. Very affordable, very healthy, very simple food, it's no wonder these Mediterraneans live so long.

Food in Boston is pretty gross over-all too. Unless you go to a good restaurant, or some weird ethnic or health food place. It's all pretty much Dunkin Donuts, pizza, and generally crappy food. Boston is also the city in the US that eats the most ice cream. In general, yeah the food is low quality in the US - such as compared to Europe.

Most Americans also eat what the big companies serves them: soda, crappy, artificial bread with lots of sugar and salt, etc. If you go to a "standard" grocery market in the US, the food is really processed, high in fat, super-cheap oils, salt, etc. Things are changing a bit slowly though.

I lived in France for weeks many times and then came back to Boston. It was always a shock to see how much fatter people were in Boston after being in Europe. California is a bit different, and in SF the general quality of food, even at cheap cafes, etc. is much better. Better quality food, and more fresh vegetables (cause we grow it all close by). But, in general, I would say the US is a lost cause when it comes to food. Sure, some restaurants are good, and the US is a huge place, but Americans don't eat very well (most of us).

I'm sorry I can't hold back the laughter. 

So I've lived in Massachusetts for 31 years and NH for parts of 7.  Where the hell did you eat while you were here?

Seems like you have a problem with fat people?  Well I'm fat.  But no one else in my family is.  My ancestors are Portuguese and they eat far less healthy than we do here.  Nice job with the stereotypes there.

I choose to eat the way I do. Some company doesn't decide what I'm going to eat.  If I wanted to eat organic food and more vegetables I would.  But I have chosen a different path.  One of satisfaction.  I don't eat twinkies because hostess forces them down my throat.  I eat them because they are delicious.   I eat out quite a bit (I mentioned I was fat right?)  and while most of the crap I put in my body is void of nutritious value, just about every restaurant has items for folks that are my opposite.  I only know because my mother is constantly on a diet and is able to order at every place we eat. 

Seriously it sounds like you ate in a pizza joint or pub here.  Pub food is not healthy.

Next time your in town hit me up and I'll take you to some real nice establishments with full menus. 

PS.  We have a dairy queen like 2 blocks from where I work and I've never ordered anything but a milkshake from them in 5 years. 

Also I've been to Europe and if the price is the same it generally is of the same qualities.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry I can't hold back the laughter. 

So I've lived in Massachusetts for 31 years and NH for parts of 7.  Where the hell did you eat while you were here?

Seems like you have a problem with fat people?  Well I'm fat.  But no one else in my family is.  My ancestors are Portuguese and they eat far less healthy than we do here.  Nice job with the stereotypes there.

I choose to eat the way I do. Some company doesn't decide what I'm going to eat.  If I wanted to eat organic food and more vegetables I would.  But I have chosen a different path.  One of satisfaction.  I don't eat twinkies because hostess forces them down my throat.  I eat them because they are delicious.   I eat out quite a bit (I mentioned I was fat right?)  and while most of the crap I put in my body is void of nutritious value, just about every restaurant has items for folks that are my opposite.  I only know because my mother is constantly on a diet and is able to order at every place we eat. 

Seriously it sounds like you ate in a pizza joint or pub here.  Pub food is not healthy.

Next time your in town hit me up and I'll take you to some real nice establishments with full menus. 

PS.  We have a dairy queen like 2 blocks from where I work and I've never ordered anything but a milkshake from them in 5 years. 

Also I've been to Europe and if the price is the same it generally is of the same qualities.

You Fat Bastard!

[...]and while most of the crap I put in my body is void of nutritious value, just about every restaurant has items for folks that are my opposite.  I only know because my mother is constantly on a diet and is able to order at every place we eat.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't mirror my experiences here, and I've been in Boston for many years. It gets harder and harder to find food that doesn't have needless calories added or nutritional values ruined, especially in the chain restaurants. The best you can do is high calorie and nutritionally valuable such as high in vegetable fats.

It doesn't count if there is a salad but you can only eat the lettuce and the tomatoes but not the chicken on it (coated and/or deep-fried), not the dressing, need to get the bacon out and after you ordered it without cheese you have something left that is just not big enough for a meal. They would never give you enough plain rabbit food to make a meal when ordering a salad because that is expensive. And even then, there is a substantial risk of food poisoning in summer, especially if the green base is spinach.

Up in NH it is actually better than in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville.

Ethnic restaurants might or might not be better. Greek here is a complete joke, as are most "corn starch massacre" american chinese. Indian can go either way but that's heavy food for starters.

It's eating anything without properly exercising that is the problem. Everything else is just pure bollocks.

For that to be true, calories would be a meaningful guide to nutrition & it's not. All exercise actually does, in terms of weight los As & ignoring other obvious health benefits, is make you hungry! As Taubes says of the calories in / calories out paradigm, "it is so compelling and so pervasive that it is virtually impossible nowadays not to believe it." Trouble is, when you look at the evidence as he presents it, it's just plain wrong.

Bacon I just do not like.

You're just... strange... :P

For that to be true, calories would be a meaningful guide to nutrition & it's not. All exercise actually does, in terms of weight los As & ignoring other obvious health benefits, is make you hungry! As Taubes says of the calories in / calories out paradigm, "it is so compelling and so pervasive that it is virtually impossible nowadays not to believe it." Trouble is, when you look at the evidence as he presents it, it's just plain wrong.

True.  People try to find simple measurement that will explain everything, but it just does not work that way.    Some sources of calories will not put more weight on you - i.e. alcohol that have tonnes of calories or diet composed of meals made of simple carbs (plain sugar, some kind of fruits, etc) without protein or fat and other nutriments - won't make you put more weight, (but will fuck up your body - which in longer term may result in weight changes or other veryt nasty health things - believe me I speak from experience).

Exercises are good 'looks wise' - because of weight and density of muscles.   Muscles are dense and weight more than fat,  so someone who put on some muscles can have smaller size and look better while being heavier (kg wise) than a person with less muscles that actually weight less.

Another thing - if you have a lot of overweight, exercises with good diet will make you lose weight, even though you'll eat more calories :)

PS. Onions are good and they're actually very healthy as long as you eat them cooked or raw and not i.e. deep fried lol

I'm sorry but that just doesn't mirror my experiences here, and I've been in Boston for many years. It gets harder and harder to find food that doesn't have needless calories added or nutritional values ruined, especially in the chain restaurants. The best you can do is high calorie and nutritionally valuable such as high in vegetable fats.

It doesn't count if there is a salad but you can only eat the lettuce and the tomatoes but not the chicken on it (coated and/or deep-fried), not the dressing, need to get the bacon out and after you ordered it without cheese you have something left that is just not big enough for a meal. They would never give you enough plain rabbit food to make a meal when ordering a salad because that is expensive. And even then, there is a substantial risk of food poisoning in summer, especially if the green base is spinach.

Up in NH it is actually better than in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville.

Ethnic restaurants might or might not be better. Greek here is a complete joke, as are most "corn starch massacre" american chinese. Indian can go either way but that's heavy food for starters.

I live in south eastern mass now.  Just so we are both on the same page when I worked in Woburn we had several restuarants that would make me grilled chicken.  Chicken breat placed on a grill and that's it.  I used to pound 2 a day for breakfast.  As far as a chain goes none of those are any good for any food.

But I could give two shits less.  Half my diet is portuguese food and the other half is take out. 

The only few resturants I eat at in Boston are not healthy, because I'm not looking for that experience.  Lot's of steak in my diet. 

http://abeandlouies.com/

http://blueribbonbbq.com/

https://www.redbones.com/

http://www.ruthschris.com/

In the town where I live we have some awesome places:

http://www.boneyardbarbecue.com/

http://www.papa-gallo.com/

http://canovaitaliangrill.com/

meat.jpg

I'm sorry but what a load of bull. No they aren't. And I can also count on one hand the people (who did not complain, mind you) who said they'd rather that word not used here. Try reading a bit closer regarding the polite requests which were not demands and not accuse others of motives they don't have. How do you have any clue if me, Tui, or Lauri don't 'give a toss' about blasphemy. Oh, that's right, you don't!

Also I don't recall myself ever using blasphemy here (which personally I don't have an issue with since I'm agnostic), but if another person really had an issue with it, made a polite request, I'd do my best not to use said words out of respect if I had been.

I never said I had a clue about what you think, you said there is really no need for the C word here that was all I was replying to.

I couldn't care less if someone blasphemes or not, I'm simply making the point that usually (not deliberately) when people complain a word is offensive, they happily use other words that others find offensive.

You also have the problem that on a global forum, very often what's offensive in one country is meaningless in another.

I don't like overuse of the f word or the c word, I don't rate one worse than the other, I remember at 15 many moons ago me and my mates standing round a record player playing a Sex Pistols single and loving that it had the word Fuckology on it. 

At the time it wasn't common to hear it walking down the street or schools or TV (in the UK anyway) and when it was first being used, there was just as any complaints as there is now over the use of the c word.

However the C word is being used more and more, appearing frequently on British TV panel shows and the reason it is being used is for the same reason they originally used the f word, Because it gets people annoyed.

Give it a few more years and it will be as common as the f word is now.

I probably hear it more from English women than men to be honest.

It's just a word and my point is, no matter what you talk about, no matter what you say, someone will always find it offensive whether on their moral belief system, their religious belief system (and I include atheists as to my mind they are just as much a religion as any other belief system) . If you talk politics some people get offended, if you talk guns some people get offended.

My point is it's impossible to have a conversation without offending somebody and I would rather people free to speak how they want, than all conversations be wrapped up in cotton wool.

I was recently called a Nazi  for trying to have an adult conversation about something on another forum where the person took offence (and took what I said completely out of context) , I've been called a bigot  while playing devils advocate in  a conversation about a dog for the blind (a few parents scarfed stiff of dogs didn't want the dog at their kids playgroup and while I'm both a dog lover and owner, they got such a public bashing that I stuck up for them)  etc etc etc

We're getting to the point where we cant have adult conversations about anything as someone gets offended. Personally I'd rather we are all allowed to say whatever we want whether racist, homophobic, morally sick or whatever as I'd rather try to educate such people rather than they never air their true opinions.

In the grand scale of things being upset over the use of the c word is very trivial,

All people swear as far as I'm concerned, when people say "fudge" instead of "fuck" they are still using fudge as a swear, not for it's true meaning.