LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

Well, OK then. Those two are worth the calories, and I mean that as in more than a joke. It is unprocessed meat with just the sauces on it that belong. The sides are perfectly unprocessed whatever they say it is, e.g. cucumber salad is pickled cucumbers which does add a bit of sugar but not more so than they would in Germany.

And let me know when you show up there next time :)

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH AROUND MIT/central cambridge/kendall. Puke.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

Well, OK then. Those two are worth the calories, and I mean that as in more than a joke. It is unprocessed meat with just the sauces on it that belong. The sides are perfectly unprocessed whatever they say it is, e.g. cucumber salad is pickled cucumbers which does add a bit of sugar but not more so than they would in Germany.

And let me know when you show up there next time :)

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH AROUND MIT/central cambridge/kendall. Puke.

Yeah it forces people to order things specially I understand. 

I've actually eaten in Berlin before.  Never had a bad meal there.  But I like the brownies in Amsterdam better than most European food lol.

I'm also thinking of using linguica as my new forum profile lol.

I never said I had a clue about what you think, you said there is really no need for the C word here that was all I was replying to.

I couldn't care less if someone blasphemes or not, I'm simply making the point that usually when people complain a word is offensive, they happily use other words that others find offensive.

You also have the problem that on a global forum, very often what's offensive in one country is meaningless in another.

I don't like overuse of the f word or the c word, I don't rate one worse than the other, I remember at 15 many moons ago me and my mates standing round a record player playing a Sex Pistols single and loving that it had the word Fuckology on it. 

At the time it wasn't common to hear it walking down the street or schools or TV (in the UK anyway) and when it was first being used, there was just as any complaints as there is now over the use of the c word.

However the C word is being used more and more, appearing frequently on British TV panel shows and the reason it is being used is for the same reason they originally used the f word, Because it gets people annoyed.

Give it a few more years and it will be as common as the f word is now.

I probably hear it more from English women than men to be honest.

It's just a word and my point is, no matter what you talk about, no matter what you say, someone will always find it offensive whether on their moral belief system, their religious belief system (and I include atheists as to my mind they are just as much a religion as any other belief system) . If you talk politics some people get offended, if you talk guns some people get offended.

My point is it's impossible to have a conversation without offending somebody and I would rather people free to speak how they want, than all conversations be wrapped up in cotton wool.

I was recently called a Nazi  for trying to have an adult conversation about something on another forum where the person took offence (and took what I said completely out of context) , I've been called a bigot  while playing devils advocate in  a conversation about a dog for the blind (a few parents scarfed stiff of dogs didn't want the dog at their kids playgroup and while I'm both a dog lover and owner, they got such a public bashing that I stuck up for them)  etc etc etc

We're getting to the point where we cant have adult conversations about anything as someone gets offended. Personally I'd rather we are all allowed to say whatever we want whether racist, homophobic, morally sick or whatever as I'd rather try to educate such people rather than they never air their true opinions.

In the grand scale of things being upset over the use of the c word is very trivial,

All people swear as far as I'm concerned, when people say "fudge" instead of "fuck" they are still using fudge as a swear, not for it's true meaning.

I'm going to have to side with Loth on this one.  I haven't been here that long, but this is the first time that anyone has ever asked for a certain word not to be tossed around in the public forum.  Actually, they didn't really ask that--they just stated they would rather not see it.  And I'm sorry, but most of the adult conversations I have tend to not have the word fuck and c***t in them, and I think you are blowing things out of proportion a bit.  If this is truly the "community" forum that it boasts to be, I think we can just agree not to use the word out of respect.

...  And I'm sorry, but most of the adult conversations I have tend to not have the word fuck and c***t in them, and I think you are blowing things out of proportion a bit.  If this is truly the "community" forum that it boasts to be, I think we can just agree not to use the word out of respect.

I've yet to come across a more sanctimonious and patronising statement on a forum as the one above. I could show you plenty of less "well to do" areas of North London there those words are part of the common vocabulary of many adults. Indeed one of the funniest episodes of "The Thick of It" used the "c" word to great effect as part of the main plot line. 

There's nothing worse that someone who joins an established group and starts bossing the others about. I've used the "c" word on this forum twice if I recall and both times in the context of a certain ex-Turbine community manager, though I'm more than happy to apply it with ever greater aplomb to all my replies to your posts.

So, instead of trying to carry off an excellent impersonation of Mary Whitehouse, why don't you engage with us and understand why some of us felt the need to use that word? No? 

• Upvote 2

I've yet to come across a more sanctimonious and patronising statement on a forum as the one above. I could show you plenty of less "well to do" areas of North London there those words are part of the common vocabulary of many adults. Indeed one of the funniest episodes of "The Thick of It" used the "c" word to great effect as part of the main plot line. 

There's nothing worse that someone who joins an established group and starts bossing the others about. I've used the "c" word on this forum twice if I recall and both times in the context of a certain ex-Turbine community manager, though I'm more than happy to apply it with ever greater aplomb to all my replies to your posts.

So, instead of trying to carry off an excellent impersonation of Mary Whitehouse, why don't you engage with us and understand why some of us felt the need to use that word? No? 

Ok, I'll bite...please enlighten me why you feel the need to use that word.  I'm all ears.  While you are at it, how is defending someone's post being sanctimonious and patronising?  And, let's see if you can do that while not being insulting.

Ok, I'll bite...please enlighten me why you feel the need to use that word. 

Note the use of the past tense in my response. So suggest you start again using the world "felt" and then we can continue.

While you are at it, how is defending someone's post being sanctimonious and patronising?

Ah you'll see I had snipped that part off of the quote I used, so sorry that one falls a bit flat.....

And, let's see if you can do that while not being insulting.

Insulting? I've not even begun to be. 

Note the use of the past tense in my response. So suggest you start again using the world "felt" and then we can continue.

Ah you'll see I had snipped that part off of the quote I used, so sorry that one falls a bit flat.....

Insulting? I've not even begun to be. 

Because what...it's somehow cool to be insulting?  Tough man, sitting behind your keyboard--you're beginning to remind me of someone else on here.

My whole point was this...at least two people within the community said they would rather not see that specific word.  The voiced their opinions.  Period.  What followed was a bit of a mental reaction (I'm sure some if it was for pure comedy) about censorship blah blah blah.  I could see if we were living in North Korea or maybe China...but we are not, and some people on this forum blew it out of proportion.  Sort of like what you are doing now.

I couldn't care less if someone blasphemes or not, I'm simply making the point that usually (not deliberately) when people complain a word is offensive, they happily use other words that others find offensive.

<snip>

I probably hear it more from English women than men to be honest.

It's just a word and my point is, no matter what you talk about, no matter what you say, someone will always find it offensive whether on their moral belief system, their religious belief system (and I include atheists as to my mind they are just as much a religion as any other belief system) . If you talk politics some people get offended, if you talk guns some people get offended.

My point is it's impossible to have a conversation without offending somebody and I would rather people free to speak how they want, than all conversations be wrapped up in cotton wool.

<snip>

In the grand scale of things being upset over the use of the c word is very trivial,

We've already discussed the regional differences regarding this word, which would explain why you may hear more English women use it. The opposite is not true in the States.

I've at least already made a detailed explanation of why this word feels a lot more serious than your average swear word.. along the same lines of racial slurs as well. You're welcome to look back a couple of pages for that. This is not a few people getting their knickers in a twist over, *gasp* some swearing!

Yes, there's a lot of people out there who can be upset by different things. But we're a small, semi close knit group of people here. Obviously there's plenty of profanity being used which means if someone has a problem with that in general, this won't be the place for them. Obviously none of us are calling for outright censorship and a forum filled with just sunshine and unicorns. Instead we've had a few members say they'd rather one word not be used here (asked, not demanded) and given reasons as to why this one word goes much further than your average swear word in some parts of the world. Now personally, when I'm amongst acquaintances and people I generally like, I'll respect their wishes instead of getting uppity about censorship.

And that's it for me regarding this topic.

Fwiw, I don't get the aggression being directed at you, bucko,by Bango just now. Seems pointless and unnecessary.

And regarding the derail.. probably best to let this thread sink into oblivion and use the random crap thread. :P

Because what...it's somehow cool to be insulting?  Tough man, sitting behind your keyboard--you're beginning to remind me of someone else on here.

My whole point was this...at least two people within the community said they would rather not see that specific word.  The voiced their opinions.  Period.  What followed was a bit of a mental reaction (I'm sure some if it was for pure comedy) about censorship blah blah blah.  I could see if we were living in North Korea or maybe China...but we are not, and some people on this forum blew it out of proportion.  Sort of like what you are doing now.

Ah and now the insults start pouring forth... didn't take long did it!!! :D

Now, go back and read why I referred to your post as sanctimonious and patronising. Nothing worse that someone barging in on an established group and telling everyone how they should and should not behave. 

• Upvote 1

Ah and now the insults start pouring forth... didn't take long did it!!! :D

Now, go back and read why I referred to your post as sanctimonious and patronising. Nothing worse that someone barging in on an established group and telling everyone how they should and should not behave. 

I'm not sure Bango, there are plenty of others in this thread share his opinion, perhaps he was just joining in the conversation?

I don't know what your deal with me is Bango, and I could care less.  If you interpret my post as "telling everyone how they should and should not behave"...well, that is your opinion.  It's bit delusional...but your opinion nonetheless. 

I don't know what your deal with me is Bango, and I could care less.  If you interpret my post as "telling everyone how they should and should not behave"...well, that is your opinion.  It's bit delusional...but your opinion nonetheless. 

/ignore

Makes my life all that easier

I'm going to have to side with Loth on this one.  I haven't been here that long, but this is the first time that anyone has ever asked for a certain word not to be tossed around in the public forum.  Actually, they didn't really ask that--they just stated they would rather not see it.  And I'm sorry, but most of the adult conversations I have tend to not have the word fuck and c***t in them, and I think you are blowing things out of proportion a bit.  If this is truly the "community" forum that it boasts to be, I think we can just agree not to use the word out of respect.

This is a pretty reasonable post, imo. I don't see this as patronizing - or at least from a US perspective it is not. I think bucko is in the US? I really don't think it was said in a patronizing way.

The problem is, we in the US don't get to hear people say cunt all day, or see it on television. It's just different. (And the US is huge, so maybe some groups of people swear all the time when they talk). I think there is misunderstanding here because of differences in how people speak in the two countries, US and UK. In the US, in most places, people don't use c*nt in conversations. You would never see it on TV. It is just completely different than in the UK. So, from this perspective, what bucko said was reasonable, and not intended to put down some other people in another country who talk differently.

Not related, but it is interesting how some people get really annoyed if someone asks them not to use a word on a public international forum. I get the issues of censorship, or letting people talk naturally, but they somehow can't get the idea of not using words that are really offensive and degrading in some countries.

This is a pretty reasonable post, imo. I don't see this as patronizing - or at least from a US perspective it is not. I think bucko is in the US? I really don't think it was said in a patronizing way.

The problem is, we in the US don't get to hear people say cunt all day, or see it on television. It's just different. (And the US is huge, so maybe some groups of people swear all the time when they talk). I think there is misunderstanding here because of differences in how people speak in the two countries, US and UK. In the US, in most places, people don't use c*nt in conversations. You would never see it on TV. It is just completely different than in the UK. So, from this perspective, what bucko said was reasonable, and not intended to put down some other people in another country who talk differently.

Not related, but it is interesting how some people get really annoyed if someone asks them not to use a word on a public international forum. I get the issues of censorship, or letting people talk naturally, but they somehow can't get the idea of not using words that are really offensive and degrading in some countries.

Very interesting! Cultural differences, nuances and subtleties even! I have also witnessed several times, when intentionally neutral thing was received as a rude expression because of this. I speak a strange variation of English, which is "international English" and a lot of "live" language is less accessible for me, but as it seems even native speakers of various sorts might be in different paradigms with their expressions. 

I wonder, is it true that f.. work in UK is in a way considered more rude than in US? (more or less in the same manner as C word is more rude in US, as it was discussed here?)

Now, how not to misunderstand the true intent behind posts and wording etc.. This is a mystery, but maybe trying to interpret it emphatically or from several possible angles of intent, as well as sending PM to clarify stuff could help.

• Upvote 1

In the US, it seems to really vary by social group. In some social groups people swear all the time. It even seems more common recently to swear among younger people - so swears are getting more commonly used. But the US is huge and it is different by city, and state, and ethnic and social group too. On TV and in business people don't swear much.  I think for some people, saying fuck is meaningless and they use it a lot. In other groups people don't say it much and it's just not that polite.

I don't think it ever makes sense to judge people by how their social group speaks. It doesn't matter to me how people talk or if they swear. Using very sexist or racist language is a different story though - although I agree some times there is not intent there. I can see that using c*nt could be not as bad in the UK if it is used all the time there. Still, thinking about other people, and showing some respect, is a good thing imo.

Yet I read it as him basically saying if you say 'fuck' or 'cunt', you aren't having an 'adult' conversation (as if profanity is for kids). Acting like he's better than anyone who chooses to swear.

Then he goes on with his 'If this is truly the "community" forum that it boasts to be'. He's been here 2 weeks and he's going on about what we should and shouldn't be doing to fit with his 'boasting' delusions.

The whole thing just smacks of patronising... again (this isn't the first time he's done it).