LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

Yet I read it as him basically saying if you say 'fuck' or 'cunt', you aren't having an 'adult' conversation (as if profanity is for kids). Acting like he's better than anyone who chooses to swear.

I didn't read it like that. I read as it was meant to be read: most adult (ie conversations between people age 18 and over.. adult being used as the factual word for what older humans are :P) that he has aren't laden with profanity.

Then he goes on with his 'If this is truly the "community" forum that it boasts to be'. He's been here 2 weeks and he's going on about what we should and shouldn't be doing to fit with his 'boasting' delusions.

He offered his opinion. Oh the horror. Nor were there any 'shoulds'. He said "I think". He's staying here, continuing to post, he's now part of the community. Last I heard, we're all allowed to take part in discussions, regardless of any "tenure".

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

I didn't read it like that. I read as it was meant to be read: most adult (ie conversations between people age 18 and over.. adult being used as the factual word for what older humans are :P) aren't laden with profanity. Now we've no way to know if this is true or not. :P Many work situations don't have it.. others do.. some social circles don't use it, some do. So who knows!

He's using himself as the standard. Acting like anyone who does have profanity in their conversations is immature. Like he's better because he doesn't swear. It's patronising and arrogant.

He offered his opinion. Oh the horror. He's staying here, continuing to post, he's now part of the community. Last I heard, we're all allowed to take part in discussions, regardless of any "tenure".

It's not about his shitty opinions. It's the way he conducts himself. He's basically walking into an established group of people and throwing his opinions about like he expects them to be followed. There are newcomers who haven't come in throwing their weight about and they've now settled in with everyone else. But he isn't doing that, he wants us all to know what he expects of this site now he's here and acts like anyone who does otherwise is inferior. Well fuck that shit.

Yet I read it as him basically saying if you say 'fuck' or 'cunt', you aren't having an 'adult' conversation (as if profanity is for kids). Acting like he's better than anyone who chooses to swear.

Then he goes on with his 'If this is truly the "community" forum that it boasts to be'. He's been here 2 weeks and he's going on about what we should and shouldn't be doing to fit with his 'boasting' delusions.

The whole thing just smacks of patronising... again (this isn't the first time he's done it).

I can't change the way you interpret my posts, Doro--but I will say you read it wrong.  And I have a feeling that's not going to change anytime soon.

This back and forth between you and I has officially become boring and tiresome.  How about we both just stay out of each other's lanes...deal?

I can't change the way you interpret my posts, Doro--but I will say you read it wrong.  And I have a feeling that's not going to change anytime soon.

This back and forth between you and I has officially become boring and tiresome.  How about we both just stay out of each other's lanes...deal?

I thought you had me on ignore? Apparently you can't resist.

Allow me to interject again

Get_252520Along.jpg

And I'm the only one who is delusional here..............everytime I see a delicious Linguica sausge.  That never puts me in the right state of mind.  That or this:

l.jpg

32oz ribeye always hits the spot.

And if that is not enought o distract your from your bickering

porterhousefor2.grid-6x2.jpg

Porterhouse for 2 or in my case 1/2 a person.

• Upvote 1

I would prefer such language wasn't used myself but I wouldn't ban it.

Context means a lot as profanity is often used as an obvious insult or for humor or even as a replacement for punctuation for some.

One reason I don't like to see it used is that it's use tends to lower the bar for all conversation across the board IMO.

Hehe... memories of my youthful day of Glory!!!

When I was six years old I went with my parents on a trip to Holland.

When I returned I took it upon myself to educate my peers (some were BIG KIDS... as old as ten!!!) on all the "Dutch swears" I had mastered.

I remember it to this day... a group of kids gathered around me under a train bridge hanging on my every profane word.

I was above them on a support beam which served as my podium of profanity.

I can remember telling them "Shit is Sheet" for example... basically I took my limited six year old English vocabulary of the profane and switched around a vowel here or a consonant there to achieve it's Dutch counterpart. :P

Bow+before+my+wrath+filthy+mortals.+smal

My moment of glory... sadly it's all been downhill from there... now I find myself on a LOTRO forum full of people who don't play LOTRO... :(

• Upvote 1

I would prefer such language wasn't used myself but I wouldn't ban it.

Context means a lot as profanity is often used as an obvious insult or for humor or even as a replacement for punctuation for some.

One reason I don't like to see it used is that it's use tends to lower the bar for all conversation across the board IMO.

When I returned I took it upon myself to educate my peers (some were BIG KIDS... as old as ten!!!) on all the "Dutch swears" I had mastered.

I remember it to this day... a group of kids gathered around me under a train bridge hanging on my every profane word.

I was above them on a support beam which served as my podium of profanity.

I can remember telling them "Shit is Sheet" for example... basically I took my limited six year old English vocabulary of the profane and switched around a vowel here or a consonant there to achieve it's Dutch counterpart. :P

Bow+before+my+wrath+filthy+mortals.+smal

My moment of glory... sadly it's all been downhill from there... now I find myself on a LOTRO forum full of people who don't play LOTRO... :(

Is that just the official forum you are referencing?  lol There's a lot of posters not players over there as well!

Is that just the official forum you are referencing?  lol There's a lot of posters not players over there as well!

Hey! LOTRO is way too hard to play!

The OF serve as basic training for them. :P

Now I'm off to follow your example = food for emotional rather than physical health FTW.

Fresh corn on the cob for me... lightly simmered and positively dripping with butter! :Y

Edit: Followed by Molson Canadian = I know you would approve! d;)b

Since it has been blurred and buried, only the c-word is affected because it can be rated as a gender specific swearword just like the n-word is a racial one. You say say "this fucking game sucks rotten donkey balls" all day long.

I would suggest maybe being nicer in threads that are of high value to outsiders such as the one about the lawsuit. Maybe somebody reads it who does something good for us, and wouldn't if he/she is having lunch and can't.

He's using himself as the standard. Acting like anyone who does have profanity in their conversations is immature. Like he's better because he doesn't swear. It's patronising and arrogant.

Nope, that's what you've decided to see in that sentence. :P Only he can know the intent and he says the intent was the way I interpreted, so that's that. :P

It's not about his shitty opinions. It's the way he conducts himself. He's basically walking into an established group of people and throwing his opinions about like he expects them to be followed. There are newcomers who haven't come in throwing their weight about and they've now settled in with everyone else. But he isn't doing that, he wants us all to know what he expects of this site now he's here and acts like anyone who does otherwise is inferior. Well fuck that shit.

He had a rough entrance, but I don't agree at all that's what he was doing then. I saw someone engaging in the conversation and who is settling down with.. well.. some of us. Some others can't get over the rough entrance and come at him swinging for any tiny perceived slight. It seems to me right now anything he says, no matter how innocuous is going to be interpreted in the worst manner.

... and somehow all this reminded me a horror of hilarious Russian swearwords. It just can't be worse in any other language. One of more exquisite examples could be something, which would translate as (vaguely) as "c*nt-eyed mudf*cker". And there are more! 

Hey! LOTRO is way too hard to play!

The OF serve as basic training for them. :P

Now I'm off to follow your example = food for emotional rather than physical health FTW.

Fresh corn on the cob for me... lightly simmered and positively dripping with butter! :Y

Edit: Followed by Molson Canadian = I know you would approve! d;)b

I haven't had one in a while.   I've been drinking some new crap. 

sierra-nevada-summerfest.gif

and

warsteiner.jpg

I like a lighter beer in the summer.

I went to the Portuguese American festival last weekend but all they had was CO-ORS and Bud Light.  The bottom of my shoe has more flavor!

Bleh.. those look so gross. :P

i can already feel the cholesterol coursing through my veins.  Much like the dark side of the force.

Maybe you like the beers better, or are you a mixed drink person? 

You know what's weird? In a couple months I'll have been living here for 3 years.. and I still don't know any Dutch swear words! I know some in Spanish, French and German. I've just never been in a situation where I would learn some. Obviously I'm not going to learn them in my Dutch classes and my boyfriend's family doesn't swear (afaik) and nor will my boyfriend teach me any. :P I've also not had any impulse to go looking them up either.. unlike when I was 15 in French class or younger when looking through my mom's German dictionary. :P

i can already feel the cholesterol coursing through my veins.  Much like the dark side of the force.

Maybe you like the beers better, or are you a mixed drink person?

I rarely eat meat.. but I've never been a big fan of red meat.

And beer.. meh. :P I'd rather a nice cider... or margarita, cape cod, or even a vodka tonic. :P

I've also not had any impulse to go looking them up either.. unlike when I was 15 in French class or younger when looking through my mom's German dictionary. :P

<...>

And beer.. meh. :P I'd rather a nice cider... or margarita, cape cod, or even a vodka tonic. :P

Apparently most of us men never mature. We keep playing games, playing war and find swear words exciting!

Mixed drinks! Lately I've noticed that gin-tonic goes great with cucumber, rather than with lemon. Oh, and vodka-martini with lemon (preferably two halfs - one half being more sour lemon, another - more sweet lemon) is great.

The whole thing just smacks of patronising... again (this isn't the first time he's done it).

Thank you. Takes someone from my neck of the woods to see it.

You know what's weird? In a couple months I'll have been living here for 3 years.. and I still don't know any Dutch swear words! I know some in Spanish, French and German. I've just never been in a situation where I would learn some. Obviously I'm not going to learn them in my Dutch classes and my boyfriend's family doesn't swear (afaik) and nor will my boyfriend teach me any. :P I've also not had any impulse to go looking them up either.. unlike when I was 15 in French class or younger when looking through my mom's German dictionary. :P

I rarely eat meat.. but I've never been a big fan of red meat.

Grey goose with ice.  That's how I drink it.  I speak some german (high school level) and spanish

I only know 3 dutch words

geldautomaat

auto

fiets

The rest of my time was spent in a thick haze!

What insults?

Are you serious?

The guy was basically saying Bango is a coward and wouldn't say it to someone's face(which he has no fucking clue about)by using the "Tough man behind a keyboard" line.

You'd think someone who's a native speaker of English would grasp this.

I don't know what your deal with me is Bango, and I could care less.  If you interpret my post as "telling everyone how they should and should not behave"...well, that is your opinion.  It's bit delusional...but your opinion nonetheless. 

You could care less?

That means you do care a smidgeon about what his opinion of you are.

Are you serious?

The guy was basically saying Bango is a coward and wouldn't say it to someone's face(which he has no fucking clue about)by using the "Tough man behind a keyboard" line.

I saw it the same way as Bango, Doro, and LV, fwiw.

So I'll take that as a "yes" we have a deal.  Cheers.

You come across as a real tool sometimes.

This.  There is no reason to insult Loth about this...and yes, I went after Bango but only after he attacked first with a slew of insults of his own.  And that is the trend I see developing.  Regardless of what I say or my intentions, Bango, Doro and now you? seem fit to attack--and keep referencing my shaky start on this forum.  And seriously..."your neck of the woods"?  Talk about a total assumption--when you know nothing about me, my upbringing etc.

I thought I buried that talk with meat and booze.

I never saw a keyboard tough guy.  Just some people arguing back and forth. 

I think we need some more pictures to bury it even more. 

demotivational-posters-28.jpg

82612922.jpg

Demotivational-Posters-Babies-19.jpg

• Upvote 2