LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

Not just your neck of the woods, mate.

Yeah fair point. Sorry about that.

Sometimes, just sometimes I get the feeling that this forum's "modus operandi" is biased towards those from the US and as such we are required to align ourselves to their own behaviours and preferences.

So, F&C are not allowed, yet someone can be sanctimonious, patronising and generally insulting. Yay for the new rules!!!

But hey, what does my delusional opinion count for...

edit - on a more positive note, dontcha just love it when you get a mail in Eve indicating that a bounty you put on some idiot has been claimed :D

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

Sometimes, just sometimes I get the feeling that this forum's "modus operandi" is biased towards those from the US and as such we are required to align ourselves to their own behaviours and preferences.

So, F&C are not allowed, yet someone can be sanctimonious, patronising and generally insulting. Yay for the new rules!!!

Word!

This.  There is no reason to insult Loth about this...and yes, I went after Bango but only after he attacked first with a slew of insults of his own.  And that is the trend I see developing.  Regardless of what I say or my intentions, Bango, Doro and now you? seem fit to attack--and keep referencing my shaky start on this forum.  And seriously..."your neck of the woods"?  Talk about a total assumption--when you know nothing about me, my upbringing etc.

Lol, you obviously didn't have a clue what I was saying. That's ok.

So now it's a US vs. UK thing?  You're just proving the whole delusional thing.  And FYI, I live in the UK.

Word!

Lol, you obviously didn't have a clue what I was saying. That's ok.

No, I did...you just assume that I'm not from the same neck of the woods as you, Bango or Doro.  But then, how would you know?

No, you didn't understand one bit.

I was referring to the fact that I am NOT in the same neck of the woods as Bango or Doro. Or of the same nationality.

Are we clear now?

Or will you continue to fail to understand?

FWIW, there are only 2 subsets of posters on here that can dictate terms on what I can or cannot post on here, and what language I may use.

Those are the moderators and MueR.

As long as there is no list of banned words in the forum rules, I will use words as I see fit.

• Upvote 2

No, you didn't understand one bit.

I was referring to the fact that I am NOT in the same neck of the woods as Bango or Doro. Or of the same nationality.

Are we clear now?

Or will you continue to fail to understand?

FWIW, there are only 2 subsets of posters on here that can dictate terms on what I can or cannot post on here, and what language I may use.

Those are the moderators and MueR.

As long as there is no list of banned words in the forum rules, I will use words as I see fit.

Ok, I misread your post.  My apologies.

You might want to look through this thread again, you'll see what the moderator has already said.  But I think it's sad that if two members of your community say they would prefer not to see it...common decency gets thrown out the window and you basically need someone to tell you...moderate you...not to do it in order for you to comply.

What kind of a Hobbit does not have inexhaustible stores of Sugar?

Ok, I misread your post.  My apologies.

You might want to look through this thread again, you'll see what the moderator has already said.  But I think it's sad that if two members of your community say they would prefer not to see it...common decency gets thrown out the window and you basically need someone to tell you...moderate you...not to do it in order for you to comply.

And once those words have been added to a list of banned words in the forum rules, it'll be something that can be moderated.

All Darmokk said is that he prefers if people didn't use it. That isn't saying that the word is banned, that is saying that he prefers the word isn't used.

You'd think someone who's a native speaker of English would grasp this.

Completely uncalled for and out of line. Why must you continue to behave like that? Honestly, it's like you're Jekyll and Hyde. Sometimes you're funny and nice, then other times you get vicious.

Next time you could attempt to disagree with me without hurling an insult at me at the end. I've no issues with a disagreement, but throwing low blows like that is just lame and unhelpful.

Oh ffs, like 3-4 people just made a comment that they'd rather not see *one* word here and now OMG EVERYONE'S BIASED AGAINST NON AMERICANS!! People expressed an opinion and preference, that is it. Good grief...

No one has even remotely suggested we all stop saying 'fuck'.

I didn't read it like that. I read as it was meant to be read: most adult (ie conversations between people age 18 and over.. adult being used as the factual word for what older humans are :P) that he has aren't laden with profanity.

That depends on the adults, he is assuming way too much. If I'm conversing with a bunch of bikers there will be a lot of cursing, same with a bunch of commercial fishermen. If you're at a church social, not so much cursing. :D

That depends on the adults, he is assuming way too much. If I'm conversing with a bunch of bikers there will be a lot of cursing, same with a bunch of commercial fishermen. If you're at a church social, not so much cursing. :D

I've had many a drunk evening playing cards with friends where the language has been...well, what you would expect from a bunch of drunk guys playing cards (I'm not sure where some people got the idea I don't swear).  I think it depends on the context used.

He's using himself as the standard. Acting like anyone who does have profanity in their conversations is immature. Like he's better because he doesn't swear. It's patronising and arrogant.

It's not about his shitty opinions. It's the way he conducts himself. He's basically walking into an established group of people and throwing his opinions about like he expects them to be followed. There are newcomers who haven't come in throwing their weight about and they've now settled in with everyone else. But he isn't doing that, he wants us all to know what he expects of this site now he's here and acts like anyone who does otherwise is inferior. Well fuck that shit.

I would have to agree with Doro. When you're new you should at least know which way the wind blows before you start acting like you own the place.

I would have to agree with Doro. When you're new you should at least know which way the wind blows before you start acting like you own the place.

How am I acting like I own the place? If you're going to make a statement like that, I assume you have quotes, etc. I swear.  Card night, beer, lots of swearing.  Most other days, I tend not to.  But Doro and I guess now you...interpret that as I never swear and I look down on those who do--completely ignoring the point of my post?

Oh ffs, like 3-4 people just made a comment that they'd rather not see *one* word here and now OMG EVERYONE'S BIASED AGAINST NON AMERICANS!! People expressed an opinion and preference, that is it. Good grief...

Just so that everyone is absolutely 100% aware of my own thoughts when I mentioned how, in my opinion, this forum's modus operandi is biased it was having read this post:

In the US, it seems to really vary by social group. In some social groups people swear all the time. It even seems more common recently to swear among younger people - so swears are getting more commonly used. But the US is huge and it is different by city, and state, and ethnic and social group too. On TV and in business people don't swear much.  I think for some people, saying fuck is meaningless and they use it a lot. In other groups people don't say it much and it's just not that polite.

I don't think it ever makes sense to judge people by how their social group speaks. It doesn't matter to me how people talk or if they swear. Using very sexist or racist language is a different story though - although I agree some times there is not intent there. I can see that using c*nt could be not as bad in the UK if it is used all the time there. Still, thinking about other people, and showing some respect, is a good thing imo.

Now, and I'm please don't take this as being patronising but by the use the phrase modus operadi I was referring to the forum's general mode of behaviour rather than specific individuals and Nosam9's post above seemed to typify that (not picking on you Nosam9!!!).

And as for the C* word, I rarely use it myself - the two times I have were in the context of our dear & beloved friend, Mr Heaton and his ever so nice remarks on a post of mine when locking a thread. However, even the dear old BBC seems to have decided that the C* word is appropriate, in context of course.... :)

Meh.

No-one here is outside of a glasshouse. We're all on the inside.

Throwing rocks. Some rocks are bigger than others.

Unless you think that it's only ok to throw really personal(as in, abuse directed at personal attributes rather than job performance)abuse directed at Mr Heaton and Ms Brennan?

How am I acting like I own the place? If you're going to make a statement like that, I assume you have quotes, etc. I swear.  Card night, beer, lots of swearing.  Most other days, I tend not to.  But Doro and I guess now you...interpret that as I never swear and I look down on those who do--completely ignoring the point of my post?

You come across as someone that thinks they have to point the rules out to others, they have these on the OF too. This is the impression that I get from your posts, so it's my opinion, there is nothing to quote. Reread what you have posted objectively and you may see the same thing. I'm hardly alone in this opinion as you can read for yourself. Often one may mean one thing when they post because they know what they are thinking, but it can come across much differently to others.

Meh.

No-one here is outside of a glasshouse. We're all on the inside.

Throwing rocks. Some rocks are bigger than others.

Unless you think that it's only ok to throw really personal(as in, abuse directed at personal attributes rather than job performance)abuse directed at Mr Heaton and Ms Brennan?

Indeed, when RH decided to take a well intentioned and well argued post of mine on an official discussion forum and then use that as a means to launch a personal attack on me, a Turbine customer, in order to (and excuse the vernacular) big himself up and then take away my right of reply? Then yes, absolutely.

Not sure who Ms Brennan is though. 

Indeed, when RH decided to take a well intentioned and well argued post of mine on an official discussion forum and then use that as a means to launch a personal attack on me, a Turbine customer, in order to (and excuse the vernacular) big himself up and then take away my right of reply? Then yes, absolutely.

Not sure who Ms Brennan is though. 

And at that point, you had the right.

Not sure how many others here have that right though.

Celestrata.

You come across as someone that thinks they have to point the rules out to others, they have these on the OF too. This is the impression that I get from your posts, so it's my opinion, there is nothing to quote. Reread what you have posted objectively and you may see the same thing. I'm hardly alone in this opinion as you can read for yourself. Often one may mean one thing when they post because they know what they are thinking, but it can come across much differently to others.

But if it's the "impression" you get from my posts (as in plural)...what posts? Otherwise I'm left with the "impression" that you are jumping on the bandwagon and nothing more.  And there are a few folks who disagree with your opinion as well, if you read over this thread.

psst.. he was only talking about his own personal conversations as a whole, not the entire adult population. ;):P

But if it's the "impression" you get from my posts (as in plural)...what posts? Otherwise I'm left with the "impression" that you are jumping on the bandwagon and nothing more.  And there are a few folks who disagree with your opinion as well, if you read over this thread.

You can can have any impression of me you want, I really don't give a rat's ass. Yes, that's me the bandwagon jumper! ./facepalm

I'm a little shocked.  Or surprised.  I could use some other adjectives but they might sound judgmental and that isn't my purpose.

I'm surprised that, in spite of the Wild West (my words) or 'saloon' (Moderate's word) nature of this forum, a few ladies see a word they say they'd rather not see (which to my recollection is the only time I've seen such a thing happen), and instead of 'my bad' or 'sure thing' or 'my apologies' or finding a string of other profane terms for humorous effect... the discussion devolved into... what it has.  Perhaps the nature of the thread prior to that tangent made the responses vary from what might have been the norm.

• Upvote 4