LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

When one keeps having to add people to the ignore list.. it just becomes not worth it anymore.

Funny thing is, people keep going on and on about some of us being offended.. I never said I was. I said it made me uncomfortable due to the feelings it conjured up.. you know, how Tui explained trigger words and all that. I never asked for any rules to be made, nor did Tui or anyone else. I just made my feelings known and hoped that this group of acquaintances would be cool enough to be kind to each other. But no, that's too much for some. They have to pull the "help! help! I'm being repressed!" routine, claim national bias, blow things out of proportion, start making accusations that even more censoring is being demanded and generally appear to purposefully misunderstand people and what they said.

It's... disappointing. And not worth it.

It is all about clash of value systems.

It seems (judging by what you write) that You feel that being considerate of someone else feelings caused by some words is more important than freedom of using all kind of words. 

Someone else may feel that freedom of expressiong and using all kind of words is more important than someone being uncomfortable because of some word.

You and few other people want Doro and few other people to adopt your value system (make a small concession of out kindness) and Doro and few other people want exactly same thing (to get over such thing as being uncomfortable by a few pixel).

That is why there is strong reaction (even 'blown out of proportion') - because maybe Doro or other feel that they're not 'bad' because they don't want to cope with your request and your reaction ('dissapointment', it is just a small thing - 'just to be cool and kind', etc) maybe may seem to them like a suggestion that they are 'bad person', while they don't agree with it.

Sometimes there is no place for compromise.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

Well, I don't really think just being uncomfortable with a word justifies it being banned from usage.

In my opinion, it's a slippery slope to start banning words because they make people uncomfortable.

Where does it stop?

If I really wanted to offend someone, I wouldn't use the c word anyway.

• Upvote 1

I'd type an example of a particular sentence you could use... but I reckon they'd fire me for typing something like that on a work computer. In fact, I reckon it would be an insta-ban, and the police would likely question me :P

Well, I don't really think just being uncomfortable with a word justifies it being banned from usage.

In my opinion, it's a slippery slope to start banning words because they make people uncomfortable.

Where does it stop?

So what word would you use?  Would you call them a "Doro"?  :D

Finally... a well deserved ban... now just need to add ABBA to the banned forums words!

Oh heck no!

ABBA FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvChjHcABPA

Erasure cover!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVIKl4k700

Austrian adaptation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Jx20A3mr8

And (while unrelated) just because I like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA

Amazing where this thread has gone, everywhere from moderation to word usage, differences between the UK and the states with sexism, racism, bacon and bar food in general, the bucko-bango dance, self admissions of heavy use of the ignore button, pretty amazing.

All i know is sapiance is still a cu... uhm... twa... uhm.... fuck i dunno. I have said before the only time i have/would ever use the C word was was in reference to SAP. Well i was wrong.

To the asshole driving that jacked up Tahoe sunday night that blew by me and threw a tidal wave over, through, and under my pony car that caused my induction system to snorkel up water into my engine while i was tiptoe'ing through a big ass puddle causing hydrolock and bending a rod and blowing out a rear seal, if i ever EVER see you again in this life, i am going to pull you down outta that big piece of shit and pound sand straight up your ass and pack it tight like a rat hole you fucking cunt!!

There i said it. Let's see where the next 20 pages takes us now.....

Well yeah, you can. Their great grandparent was a slave (well, more likely further down than that). So what? I've got ancestors who have suffered things as well. So have most people. But that wasn't me that suffered it. I didn't know them. Same with them. If anything, it was a good thing for their descendants who now live in the US (as others have said, the country of opportunity). If I'm told I can't use a word that they use all the time, well that's racist to be honest. I can't use a word because of the colour of my skin.

Just because they are several generations removed from slavery doesn't mean they haven't suffered. Maybe you should bone up on the civil rights movement and Jim Crow laws (some of the latter being re-enacted with ridiculous new voter registartion laws.) I still remember White Only drinking fountains. I realize the word nigger has been given a reprieve because of rap music, and has become "acceptable" amongst blacks talking amongst themselves, but it still doesn't make it right and just confuses the issue further. But in the 1960's nigger had the same meaning and conotation that it did in the 1860's. Bottom line, no one should use the word, white, black, yellow, brown, purple and or any color in between. It's just fucking ignorant.

• Upvote 1

The newest in American nutrition. Deep-fried butter on a stick.

Yes it is exactly what it sounds like. A stick of butter in batter, then deep-friend and put on an ice-cream stick. The really large ice cream sticks we have here, the kind you can make a garage from.

https://www.google.com/search?q=butter+on+a+stick&oq=butter+on+a+stick&aqs=chrome..69i57.3288j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Yes it is exactly what it sounds like. A stick of butter in batter, then deep-friend and put on an ice-cream stick. The really large ice cream sticks we have here, the kind you can make a garage from.

https://www.google.com/search?q=butter+on+a+stick&oq=butter+on+a+stick&aqs=chrome..69i57.3288j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Butter? That's nothing.

If that were done in the UK it would be deep-fried LARD!

Though of course no one can consider themselves having lived until they've eaten potatoes & garlic sautéed in duck fat :)

Seriously?

*facepalm*

I remember a whole thread about the BA, IIRC, ./taunt emote, which resembles the XXX (rassler) "suck it" routine, you'll have to google it, youtube is blacklisted at work for me. The OP wanted it removed because a BA did it to his wife after he killed her, said it was a mock sexual act and virtual rape. The biggest facepalm moment of the OF for me.

I remember a whole thread about the BA, IIRC, ./taunt emote, which resembles the XXX (rassler) "suck it" routine, you'll have to google it, youtube is blacklisted at work for me. The OP wanted it removed because a BA did it to his wife after he killed her, said it was a mock sexual act and virtual rape. The biggest facepalm moment of the OF for me.

The genital thrust into the face of the deceased?  Always a classy move and, although I generally respect folks' wishes regarding how to be treated in RL, if someone can't handle being corpse-humped in a video game, then that person needs to not PvP.

Edit to add: if someone can provide proof that he or she has been the victim of a necrophiliac, then I will support his or her request to not be corpse-humped.  I will also congratulate them on returning from the dead.

Wtf?   How can anyone eat something like this voluntarily?

The genital thrust into the face of the deceased?  Always a classy move and, although I generally respect folks' wishes regarding how to be treated in RL, if someone can't handle being corpse-humped in a video game, then that person needs to not PvP.

Edit to add: if someone can provide proof that he or she has been the victim of a necrophiliac, then I will support his or her request to not be corpse-humped.  I will also congratulate them on returning from the dead.

That was exactly my point and I received an infraction for it! I may have thrown a care bear remark in there some where.

A Freep doing ./pushups on a dead Creep is MUCH more objectionable, IMHO.