LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

Stuff like that is primarily a "dare" kind of thing...

Yeah. I kinda figured that out after I've posted, when I've realized that info about it is mostly from some sort of faires and that sort of gatherings.   That should teach me to think before post. 

Are you serious?

The guy was basically saying Bango is a coward and wouldn't say it to someone's face(which he has no fucking clue about)by using the "Tough man behind a keyboard" line.

You'd think someone who's a native speaker of English would grasp this.

Are you serious? No, he wasn't. He accusing Bango of being a Keyboard Warrior - someone who behaves in a thoroughly aggressive fashion, in a way which it is highly unlikely he would be doing in real life. It's got sod all to do with courage, and everything to do with the fact that the internet is a place that has practically no meaningful sanction whatsoever. Someone can act like a complete cunt (it seems appropriate to use the word at this point, so I'm using it without apology) on the net & what's the worst that can happen to them? They cop a lifetime ban from a forum.

Big. Fat. Hairy. Deal.

Whereas if someone constantly, even only repeatedly, acts in a ridiculously aggressive fashion (& I'm not suggesting Bango was, I'm merely making a point) in the real world they will wind up either in prison (if they win) or in hospital (if they lose). The internet is a place without restraint or constraint. There are far more Keyboard Warriors than there are real life nutballs, at least in my experience of those I've met in each "world".

Finally, are you serious? Since you're not a native English speaker, what business do you have declaring what a native speaker should grasp? Not only am I a native English speaker, I'm a far better speaker (& writer of it) than most of the other native English speakers I've ever come across (and I swear a lot too, rather more than I'd like, because of early working environments, it's something that just comes out in speech; if anybody gives a damn, ask me to express an opinion about fuck & cunt & etc and I will, if I come back & notice!) . I did not read the comment the same way that you & several others have.

Do you want to tell me that I "don't grasp"? Hmmmm? You've got an opinion. That's all it is. I've got a different opinion. That's all that is. You, most certainly, do not get to lay down the law about what a native English speaker should "grasp". To me, or to anyone else.

And this is only p15 & it's up to p20 already. I don't think I can face any more catching up tonight. Instead, I suggest everyone assume a suitable spiritual position (whatever you consider a spiritual position), breathe in deeply & slowly. Breathe out deeply & slowly and, as you do so, chant not "Ommmmm", but "Baaaaaacoooooooon"!

I realise this does nothing at all for The Official Forum Weirdo, but let's face it, at this point in time, I'm just trying to piss him off. ;) Probably too subtly for him to notice, which is why I point this out... :P

Are you serious? No, he wasn't. He accusing Bango of being a Keyboard Warrior - someone who behaves in a thoroughly aggressive fashion, in a way which it is highly unlikely he would be doing in real life. It's got sod all to do with courage, and everything to do with the fact that the internet is a place that has practically no meaningful sanction whatsoever. Someone can act like a complete cunt (it seems appropriate to use the word at this point, so I'm using it without apology) on the net & what's the worst that can happen to them? They cop a lifetime ban from a forum.

Big. Fat. Hairy. Deal.

Whereas if someone constantly, even only repeatedly, acts in a ridiculously aggressive fashion (& I'm not suggesting Bango was, I'm merely making a point) in the real world they will wind up either in prison (if they win) or in hospital (if they lose). The internet is a place without restraint or constraint. There are far more Keyboard Warriors than there are real life nutballs, at least in my experience of those I've met in each "world".

Finally, are you serious? Since you're not a native English speaker, what business do you have declaring what a native speaker should grasp? Not only am I a native English speaker, I'm a far better speaker (& writer of it) than most of the other native English speakers I've ever come across (and I swear a lot too, rather more than I'd like, because of early working environments, it's something that just comes out in speech; if anybody gives a damn, ask me to express an opinion about fuck & cunt & etc and I will, if I come back & notice!) . I did not read the comment the same way that you & several others have.

Do you want to tell me that I "don't grasp"? Hmmmm? You've got an opinion. That's all it is. I've got a different opinion. That's all that is. You, most certainly, do not get to lay down the law about what a native English speaker should "grasp". To me, or to anyone else.

And this is only p15 & it's up to p20 already. I don't think I can face any more catching up tonight. Instead, I suggest everyone assume a suitable spiritual position (whatever you consider a spiritual position), breathe in deeply & slowly. Breathe out deeply & slowly and, as you do so, chant not "Ommmmm", but "Baaaaaacoooooooon"!

I realise this does nothing at all for The Official Forum Weirdo, but let's face it, at this point in time, I'm just trying to piss him off. ;) Probably too subtly for him to notice, which is why I point this out... :P

All I did was call out his statement as patronising and sanctimonious. Guess that makes me a hardened vet amongst the great keyboard warriors out there.

Or perhaps the Mary Whitehouse reference acted as a trigger!! :D

Oh, and I do talk to people like that in "real life" - much to the annoyance of my poor long suffering wife. Guess when one gets to my age one's tolerance levels tend to sag...

I've yet to come across a more sanctimonious and patronising statement on a forum as the one above. I could show you plenty of less "well to do" areas of North London there those words are part of the common vocabulary of many adults. Indeed one of the funniest episodes of "The Thick of It" used the "c" word to great effect as part of the main plot line. 

There's nothing worse that someone who joins an established group and starts bossing the others about. I've used the "c" word on this forum twice if I recall and both times in the context of a certain ex-Turbine community manager, though I'm more than happy to apply it with ever greater aplomb to all my replies to your posts.

So, instead of trying to carry off an excellent impersonation of Mary Whitehouse, why don't you engage with us and understand why some of us felt the need to use that word? No? 

Oh, and I do talk to people like that in "real life" - much to the annoyance of my poor long suffering wife. Guess when one gets to my age one's tolerance levels tend to sag...

I generally talk to people in RL the same way I talk to people here. My tolarance for bullshit has gone down as my age has gone up.

Best thread ever. Should be made a sticky under the title; Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate, and a short intro from Muer -

"Read this first before registering on this forum..." 

Or sticky the thread and change the title to:

"Omnes relinquite spes, o vos intrantes"

@Laurinothaur - we were typing the same reply at the same time.

If you look back through this thread it's not your request that was the trigger, rather for me it was buko's approach. It's a pitty because I've tried to highlight some obvious cultural differences between those from the US and the UK over the use of the C word but I don't see anyone engaging in that discussion....

Thanks for trying.  The real pity is folks now making the use of the c-word a badge of honor to be worn with pride and bravado.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for trying.  The real pity is folks now making the use of the c-word a badge of honor to be worn with pride and bravado.

Yep - less is more when it comes to using profanities :)

Yep - less is more when it comes to using profanities :)

I'd like to remind folks that this scene is not remembered for the excellent acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip2WYXbPuuw

But rather it's use of the F word 21 times in 2 minutes.

I got laid off today and as a consequence I am somewhat inebriated at the moment, or maybe a little more than somewhat, so it's entirely possible this is staring me in the face and I'm just not seeing it, but how does one put someone on ignore here? It's not something I generally do (even on the OF I only had RKL and FMuck on ignore), but reading back through the last 24 hours worth of posts I found one that I'd prefer to avoid.

I got laid off today and as a consequence I am somewhat inebriated at the moment, or maybe a little more than somewhat, so it's entirely possible this is staring me in the face and I'm just not seeing it, but how does one put someone on ignore here? It's not something I generally do (even on the OF I only had RKL and FMuck on ignore), but reading back through the last 24 hours worth of posts I found one that I'd prefer to avoid.

That is very unfortunate to hear, and I hope it's short-lived.

Sorry to hear that, Tui. :(

Go into your account profile > Edit my Profile (black button) > and then Ignore Preferences on the left side.

See above for ignore list but I also encourage to report instead.

What went on while I was out today is trolling and can be killed without much fuzz about it.

Sorry about your job. I think the people who went berserk don't have any important problems at their hand.

Thanks Trilwych! I wouldn't have figure that out while sober, so maybe I'm not that bad, lol.

The bright side is that you all will have to put up with me All Day Long now. Aren't you excited?

edit: Thanks Darmokk, it looks like you've recognized that post already. I don't have any interest in getting anyone in trouble, just want to avoid seeing further unpleasantness, since I'm on sort of a short fuse and that won't lead to anything constructive.

• Upvote 4

edit: Thanks Darmokk, it looks like you've recognized that post already. I don't have any interest in getting anyone in trouble, just want to avoid seeing further unpleasantness, since I'm on sort of a short fuse and that won't lead to anything constructive.

Reporting doesn't get anybody in trouble. Reporting brings on trouble if a mod thinks it points to trolling :)

• Upvote 1

*profanity "appropriate" to the news Tui*

Sorry to hear it and best of luck reversing a bad situation.

Big. Fat. Hairy. Deal.

I'm rubber and you're glue, your words bounce off me and sticks to you ;)

Sorry to hear about that, Tui.

I hope you find gainful employment as soon as possible.

Oh boy, so much aggro from something that was said.

Obviously, if Bango perceived what Bucko said to be an attempt at an insult, that's his right, and for one, I tend to agree with Bango on this one.

The language used was used in a way as to convey it as an insult on someone's courage, i.e, "Tough man behind a keyboard".

It's really not that hard to understand why that is an attempt at calling someone a coward. 

Raedwulf, keep up, because you're not doing a good enough job of pissing me off ;)

Darmok you are acting like Sapience and quite frankly I'm annoyed.

While I would agree that Darmokk has become very heavy handed I wouldn't go quite this far, he's not even close to being a Sap clone.

However, I did notice and post no more than a few days after he got his mod powers that he was being a little heavy handed and I have noticed that since then he has gotten gradually worse and worse, especially when somebody mentions America, even a light hearted joke that no sane person should take offense at seems to turn him into a raging ball of moderator anger (exaggerating a bit but you get the idea).

P.S: Why the hell does all the good stuff happen while I'm taking time out for a bit !?!?!

Sorry to hear about your layoff. Hope something comes up to get you gainfully employed again, soon!