LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

All I did was call out his statement as patronising and sanctimonious. Guess that makes me a hardened vet amongst the great keyboard warriors out there.

Or perhaps the Mary Whitehouse reference acted as a trigger!! :D

Oh, and I do talk to people like that in "real life" - much to the annoyance of my poor long suffering wife. Guess when one gets to my age one's tolerance levels tend to sag...

I could start with "Congratulations! You've missed my point!" That would be overtly sarcastic, and you might feel like responding. So might I, were I on the receiving end. I've written far worse than I've read in this thread, and even posted it. In fact, I've written worse things than Doro has ever posted & posted them. Over the years, though, I've learnt it might be emotionally satisfying, but it's counter-productive. It's like the boy that cried wolf. However important your message is, if no-one listens to it because it's you saying it...

I still write walls of flame occasionally, but I almost never post them. I read them & think "Yeah, that's what I'd like to say to you, you...", but I know from bitter experience that there's no point. So I delete it & re-write more calmly having got the angst out of the way. With "serious" posts, it's not unknown for me to write them in WordPad, save them, and re-edit them several times over several days. Even little changes, like "might" instead of "must", makes it sound less like you're metaphorically trying to punch someone in the face, or tell them what they should be doing, and more like you're suggesting something they might like to consider. You'd be astonished how often that results in "I didn't mean it like that" or "I hadn't thought of it like that" or "I see your point", even if a "but" follows.

My purpose on forums is, in one sense, two-fold. I've got a sharp wit, sometimes very pointed indeed (especially where Doro is concerned... ;) ), and occasionally I like to be plain silly (I can't do beautiful silly, you see...). So it's nice to make people grin, smile, laugh. Laughter generally makes the world a better place. And I seem to have the knack of making people not take my banter too seriously, so they do tend to laugh, rather than get offended. When I'm being serious, though, I want to get my point across. It matters not a whit to me whether everyone else, or even anyone else, agrees. You can "but" all you like, disagree all you like, doesn't bother me in the least. If I'm entitled to my opinion, so is everyone else. You don't change an opinion by declaring someone to be narrow-minded, bigoted, ignorant, etc, after all.  But to get my point across means I need to get you to listen. People in shouting matches aren't listening...

Therefore, you've missed my point. Plain & simple & not being sarcastic. What you, Bango, wrote, I scarcely noticed; I was responding to what Vor wrote, not to you. Hence me saying "I'm just making a point". There is a very wise bon mot that says "You are your demonstrated behaviour". In other words, what you think you meant, or how you said it, often isn't nearly so important as what the people you are talking to think you meant or said. The gods only know, I've been bitten in the arse often enough by that!

Was it bucko? I've lost track... It's seems to me that you & bucko are reacting to each other without listening ( / reading). "He's patronising me... again!" Other people are joining in; "I can't see what's wrong with what A / B wrote; it's all in what B / A wrote!!" To all intents & purposes, it looks to me like a shouting match - people aren't thinking; about what is being said to them, or about what they are saying; they're just reacting. Neither of you, so far as I've noticed, have made any real effort to understand or conciliate.

But my point wasn't about you; it was about what Vor wrote. He said "He wrote this!" & "A native English speaker". Well, no. I disagree that he wrote that. Whether or not you, Bango, are a Keyboard Warrior is beside the point. The KW is an internet personality, and courage or cowardice has nothing to do with their existence or modus operandii. So I feel that Vor is wrong to have declared that that is what & why... And as for the "native English", since he's not... Vor, yer a bleedin' eejit, me ol' mucker! :P

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

The language used was used in a way as to convey it as an insult on someone's courage, i.e, "Tough man behind a keyboard".

It's really not that hard to understand why that is an attempt at calling someone a coward.

Only in your non-native English speaker opinion. Others, some of them native English speakers, disagree that that was what was meant.

Opinion! :P

Raedwulf, keep up, because you're not doing a good enough job of pissing me off ;)

As if I was actually trying to do so! ;)

I am a bloke and I don't like the C word, if we are talking about a word that, without it would make a post make no sense, I could understand people wanting it off the banned list, but to me and I stress this is just my opinion, every time I see someone using it, they are saying look at me I say controversial words. There are many many thousands of words that you can use to describe something without having to resort to that word. I think the difference with that and the words for male genitals is that men use them all the time where as not many (I know some do) women use the C word and for whatever reason is more of an insult.

PJ

I could start with "Congratulations! You've missed my point!" That would be overtly sarcastic, and you might feel like responding. So might I, were I on the receiving end. I've written far worse than I've read in this thread, and even posted it. In fact, I've written worse things than Doro has ever posted & posted them. Over the years, though, I've learnt it might be emotionally satisfying, but it's counter-productive. It's like the boy that cried wolf. However important your message is, if no-one listens to it because it's you saying it...

I still write walls of flame occasionally, but I almost never post them. I read them & think "Yeah, that's what I'd like to say to you, you...", but I know from bitter experience that there's no point. So I delete it & re-write more calmly having got the angst out of the way. With "serious" posts, it's not unknown for me to write them in WordPad, save them, and re-edit them several times over several days. Even little changes, like "might" instead of "must", makes it sound less like you're metaphorically trying to punch someone in the face, or tell them what they should be doing, and more like you're suggesting something they might like to consider. You'd be astonished how often that results in "I didn't mean it like that" or "I hadn't thought of it like that" or "I see your point", even if a "but" follows.

My purpose on forums is, in one sense, two-fold. I've got a sharp wit, sometimes very pointed indeed (especially where Doro is concerned... ;) ), and occasionally I like to be plain silly (I can't do beautiful silly, you see...). So it's nice to make people grin, smile, laugh. Laughter generally makes the world a better place. And I seem to have the knack of making people not take my banter too seriously, so they do tend to laugh, rather than get offended. When I'm being serious, though, I want to get my point across. It matters not a whit to me whether everyone else, or even anyone else, agrees. You can "but" all you like, disagree all you like, doesn't bother me in the least. If I'm entitled to my opinion, so is everyone else. You don't change an opinion by declaring someone to be narrow-minded, bigoted, ignorant, etc, after all.  But to get my point across means I need to get you to listen. People in shouting matches aren't listening...

Therefore, you've missed my point. Plain & simple & not being sarcastic. What you, Bango, wrote, I scarcely noticed; I was responding to what Vor wrote, not to you. Hence me saying "I'm just making a point". There is a very wise bon mot that says "You are your demonstrated behaviour". In other words, what you think you meant, or how you said it, often isn't nearly so important as what the people you are talking to think you meant or said. The gods only know, I've been bitten in the arse often enough by that!

Was it bucko? I've lost track... It's seems to me that you & bucko are reacting to each other without listening ( / reading). "He's patronising me... again!" Other people are joining in; "I can't see what's wrong with what A / B wrote; it's all in what B / A wrote!!" To all intents & purposes, it looks to me like a shouting match - people aren't thinking; about what is being said to them, or about what they are saying; they're just reacting. Neither of you, so far as I've noticed, have made any real effort to understand or conciliate.

But my point wasn't about you; it was about what Vor wrote. He said "He wrote this!" & "A native English speaker". Well, no. I disagree that he wrote that. Whether or not you, Bango, are a Keyboard Warrior is beside the point. The KW is an internet personality, and courage or cowardice has nothing to do with their existence or modus operandii. So I feel that Vor is wrong to have declared that that is what & why... And as for the "native English", since he's not... Vor, yer a bleedin' eejit, me ol' mucker! :P

Give me a sec whilst I slap on some factor 50 so I can bask in your aura. 

In fact, I've written worse things than Doro has ever posted & posted them.

challenge-accepted.jpg

Let me just work out what would best shock people but simultaneously prevent MueR from going medieval on me...

... but to me and I stress this is just my opinion, every time I see someone using it, they are saying look at me I say controversial words.

It's funny when people say 'just my opinion' when making a statement. Like it makes it untouchable or beyond reproach :P

Objectively, your opinion is wrong. Because, if we think logically, 'cunt' is not a controversial word to many people or the places they live. The use of it doesn't even register in their head as 'oh I just said something controversial'. So it is impossible that people who use it are just trying to be controversial. Some, maybe. But in general? Of course not. Even for me, 'cunt' is no more controversial than 'shit', 'fuck' or 'simian wankstain', i.e. not at all.

• Upvote 1

:O That wasn't a challenge, Doro. I don't think the forum would survive! And anyway, why would I waste the effort on the likes of you? I'm not that bored. Maybe later... ;)

Give me a sec whilst I slap on some factor 50 so I can bask in your aura.

Oh dear. Non-listener. Bye.

:O That wasn't a challenge, Doro. I don't think the forum would survive! And anyway, why would I waste the effort on the likes of you? I'm not that bored. Maybe later... ;)

Oh dear. Non-listener. Bye.

cya!

Only in your non-native English speaker opinion. Others, some of them native English speakers, disagree that that was what was meant.

Opinion! :P

As if I was actually trying to do so! ;)

*yawn*

Wake me when you say something worth paying attention to!

I got laid off today and as a consequence I am somewhat inebriated at the moment, or maybe a little more than somewhat, so it's entirely possible this is staring me in the face and I'm just not seeing it, but how does one put someone on ignore here? It's not something I generally do (even on the OF I only had RKL and FMuck on ignore), but reading back through the last 24 hours worth of posts I found one that I'd prefer to avoid.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Tui.  I hope you find another employer soon.

challenge-accepted.jpg

Let me just work out what would best shock people but simultaneously prevent MueR from going medieval on me...

It's funny when people say 'just my opinion' when making a statement. Like it makes it untouchable or beyond reproach :P

Objectively, your opinion is wrong. Because, if we think logically, 'cunt' is not a controversial word to many people or the places they live. The use of it doesn't even register in their head as 'oh I just said something controversial'. So it is impossible that people who use it are just trying to be controversial. Some, maybe. But in general? Of course not. Even for me, 'cunt' is no more controversial than 'shit', 'fuck' or 'simian wankstain', i.e. not at all.

But that is why I said in my opinion, in other words this isn't fact so my not by right. You don't mind the word, fair enough but why can't you respect the fact your some of your fellow forum members don't like it and not use it? My mum doesn't like some words I use in every day language so when around mum I don't use those words. Called respect.

Also why is it that in virtually every reply you almost add in the words you know others don't like? Why not debate the issue without keeping on repeating it?

I got laid off today and as a consequence I am somewhat inebriated at the moment, or maybe a little more than somewhat, so it's entirely possible this is staring me in the face and I'm just not seeing it, but how does one put someone on ignore here? It's not something I generally do (even on the OF I only had RKL and FMuck on ignore), but reading back through the last 24 hours worth of posts I found one that I'd prefer to avoid.

I feel for you. 

I was out of work for 12 months 1 stint.  And 14 months for another.  

This is the longest stint I've worked in 4 years: 18 months.  It meant a lot of Lotro time!  (back when it was fun)

My job affords me the time to post here.  Yah!

Good luck in the search. 

I just put people on manual ignore by not reading their posts

This isn't the infamous Mrs. dj? Wife of the 12 Hunters and counting, old used up programmer?

If your fuckwit friend trurth had done any of these simple things. Checked my kin. Or my server. Or my other posts here. Or actuality read the post i wrote in this thread then he may not have looked so stupid.

What triggered this response? The word feminist? Or the word 'old'? Or did you both decide to accuse me of being your preferred troll target because you are just very dim?

My OF name is Calta as most people here with half a brain, know.

But that is why I said in my opinion, in other words this isn't fact so my not by right. You don't mind the word, fair enough but why can't you respect the fact your some of your fellow forum members don't like it and not use it? My mum doesn't like some words I use in every day language so when around mum I don't use those words. Called respect.

I don't consider my mother to be on the same level of respect as posters here...

Also why is it that in virtually every reply you almost add in the words you know others don't like? Why not debate the issue without keeping on repeating it?

Bit hard to talk about a specific word if you don't use it. I could use a euphemism, but that would be pointless because people would still know what word I meant anyway. Like when people describe someone with a gesture, when we all know they mean fat. Doesn't change they've used the same meaning.

I like to think I have at least half a brain (the other half is comprised of solid 'meme'), but I had no idea who you were at all :/

The point that's been raised is that without clear and unambiguous forum rules that prohibit such language, relying on the showing of respect is highly subjective and is likely to result in constant disagreement. 

So, the long & short of it is that we either ban the words outright or we just all agree to drop this subject and consign it to the bin, otherwise like Crossroads, this subject is going to go on and on and on and we'll all be left wondering what on earth is happening. 

Perhaps a good old forum poll is required to help the mods settle this.

If your fuckwit friend trurth had done any of these simple things. Checked my kin. Or my server. Or my other posts here. Or actuality read the post i wrote in this thread then he may not have looked so stupid.

What triggered this response? The word feminist? Or the word 'old'? Or did you both decide to accuse me of being your preferred troll target because you are just very dim?

Hi there Calta! Hope you've settle into EAL by now :)

I knew.

You use the mini icon for your avatar I believe.

My parents are about the Heydts age.  And they don't exhibit any of the strange behaviors they do. 

And for all those that do not know the Heydts play on my home server of Elendilmir. 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?553917-Romania-pe-LotRo-gt-Romanians-on-LotRo&p=7215640#post7215640

Just more proof that every thread will be responded to even when she has zero to input to the discussion.

And CDQ will still tell everyone the RNG loot system is the next best thing since sliced bread.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?553558-I-love-RNG-loot&p=7212438#post7212438

If CDQ's screen name (CDQ1958) is any indication of his age, he is also close to my parents age.    But he's just one step away from RKL fame, as far as him just there to upset posters and no other reason.

With all this said, we had a bunch of players in my Meneldor kin that were over the age of 55.  One who was nearly 70. 

And they loved group content and some enjoyed PVP.   We used to have the old guy group.  I was the youngest at 35/36.  The others were mostly over 50.  I was proud to be part of kin that had mature players as young as 18 and older players as old as 71.

If your fuckwit friend trurth had ...

I am getting kind of sick of people suddenly coming to this forum and talking like this. Is this really necessary? 

It happened a lot in the "My First Post" thread - new players coming and posting with extreme insults at people.

This is not a statement against swears, just vile posts.

• Upvote 3

Yes because saying the c word is so hard to do and tough to understand.

No, you misrepresented what I said. I said we know what the word means if you use a euphemism. We know what you're getting at. So there's no point just saying 'the c word' or 'c***' because we all know what it is anyway. If someone says someone is 'bubbly' they tend to mean 'fat'. We all know it. So why dance around when we all know it?

Who pissed in your Wheaties?

1) Who the fuck is trurth?

2) Why the fuck should check what kin you are in, or which server? I don't give a rat's ass.

3) My trigger was just the thought that you may be one of the Heydt's, it made me salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs. I have wet dreams about them posting here!

4) I don't read the OF, (maybe because I have considerably more than half a brain) other than my servers forums and server PvP forums, so I have no clue at all who you are, and again, don't give a rat's ass.

I'll leave this here: 

B)

The man has class and grace. Very well done.

What's the context of this? Does he have a particular side he likes to join or is he like a German demonstrator who decide right before the event whether to join demonstration or counter-demonstration.

The point that's been raised is that without clear and unambiguous forum rules that prohibit such language, relying on the showing of respect is highly subjective and is likely to result in constant disagreement. 

From what we've seen, my guess is we'd still have constant disagreement and folks itching to find new and inventive ways to circumvent the unambiguous prohibition.  Fight for your right to use the C-word here at the LotroCommunity Saloon:

Lotrocommunity.png