LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

I am getting kind of sick of people suddenly coming to this forum and talking like this. Is this really necessary? 

It happened a lot in the "My First Post" thread - new players coming and posting with extreme insults at people.

This is not a statement against swears, just vile posts.

Apparently calling the person who called me Mrs DJ for no reason, an F-wit upsets some people, including you, but Spidey and Truarth trolling me, did not. But I apologise for using insulting language.  It  won't happen again.

And by the way, I'm not new-I've been here for many months......despite my post count.

Perhaps Trurth will  apologise for calling me DJHeydt. And Spidey will acknowledge he was actually wrong when he mindlessly did the same. (Pavlovian responses are mindless, after all) Even after I explained (angrily, I admit) why I could not possibly be Mrs Heydt he couldn't muster the guts to acknowledge his mistake. He just used his usual tactic of swearing at a poster who had the temerity to call out his nonsense.

edit: @PJ and Doro: sorry for implying you and others here only had half a brain :) I was very angry after being accused of being someone I am not, twice, just to insult me. I 'outed' myself some time ago in another discussion that you missed.

@Bango. Yes, I am enjoying the kin very much although I haven't been able to play much this last week or so. See you again I hope. .

@Quinn. Yes, those who have actually read what I have written here would know I could not possibly be Mrs Heydt. I agree with your postive remarks about older players. After all, I am one and I hope I don't exhibit any CDQ or Heydt tendencies. :) Thanks for your post.

I apologise for offending you. Perhaps Trurth and Spidey will also apologise for calling me DJHeydt. I was angry at their nastiness for no reason. I responded to the name calling in kind. Childish I know. Apparently F-wit upsets you but the c word does not. Won't use it again since it offends your sensibilities. Hope others show ME the same courtesy. But as I'm not paert of the elite here it seems unlikely-c;learly I'm fair game since I've only been here A FEW MONTHS....

I should have written my post differently maybe. I wasn't trying to comment just on your post. Just it was one of a bunch of posts recently with a lot of swears. But maybe you had a valid reason - I don't know.

Anyway, welcome. I can give you the benefit of the doubt and wouldn't ever hold a few posts against anyone. I was more observing how suddenly there are a lot of posts attacking other players with some pretty strong language. This used to be pretty rare around here (although Doro often used very strong language in some of his posts attacking others).

Apparently F-wit upsets you but the c word does not. 

Also, I made a ton of posts saying why I thought people should not use the c-word here, after being asked by 5 or more people not to use that word. And, yeah, if someone called you that - that is pretty offensive. I think I missed that.

I should have written my post differently maybe. I wasn't trying to comment just on your post. Just it was one of a bunch of posts recently with a lot of swears. But maybe you had a valid reason - I don't know.

Anyway, welcome. I can give you the benefit of the doubt and wouldn't ever hold a few posts against anyone. I was more observing how suddenly there are a lot of posts attacking other players with some pretty strong language. This used to be pretty rare around here (although Doro often used very strong language in some of his posts attacking others).

Also, I made a ton of posts saying why I thought people should not use the c-word here, after being asked by 5 or more people not to use that word. And, yeah, if someone called you that - that is pretty offensive. I think I missed that.

Someone called the poster DJHeydt.  Which I think anyone who visits the O board would assume is an insult.   I didn't see anything in the posters post to warrant that. 

Apparently calling the person who called me Mrs DJ for no reason, an F-wit upsets some people, including you, but Spidey and Truarth trolling me, did not. But I apologise for using insulting language.  It  won't happen again.

And by the way, I'm not new-I've been here for many months......despite my post count.

Perhaps Trurth will  apologise for calling me DJHeydt. And Spidey will acknowledge he was actually wrong when he mindlessly did the same. (Pavlovian responses are mindless, after all) Even after I explained (angrily, I admit) why I could not possibly be Mrs Heydt he couldn't muster the guts to acknowledge his mistake. He just used his usual tactic of swearing at a poster who had the temerity to call out his nonsense.

But clearly those of us with fewer posts are fair game for random attacks from people who don't bother to read what was actually written, or the rude posts they were responding to. I expect that to happen to me on the OF but not here. Seems like I was completely wrong. When am I allowed to defend myself? After I have a 1000 posts? After  being a member a year? Two years? I'd like some clarity from you on that...

You are allowed to defend yourself right away.  If anyone suggested that I was ODP himself I'd object to that  (old dirty programmer for the new people).  To be compared to a man with 12 hunters is insulting.  To be compared to a man that feels the need to invalidate posts by associating every one of them he doesn't like by assigning a single digit percentage point to the person posting is appalling. 

Cue laugh track.

This is honestly one of those thread I wish disappeared long ago. Even my attempts at derailing into talks of food failed.  Did I mention I was fat?  It was a dead horse around page 5.  No different from asking for new raids and an instance cluster in Lotro. 

As far as the original topic goes I don't think the moderation is excessive considering we have two threads where someone is intentionally trolling the entire community and is allowed to do it for a few pages.

hi-sorry i edited my post while you were replying. I toned it down as it was more personal than intended. And I know that you oppose that word, as I did. It was my explanation of the reason for my opposition that provoked the poster Trurth to call me Mrs DJ and in turn Spidey doing the same. Anyway-all is a storm in a tea-cup now I have calmed down. Thanks for your nice reply.

• Upvote 1

But clearly those of us with fewer posts are fair game for random attacks from people who don't bother to read what was actually written, or the rude posts they were responding to. I expect that to happen to me on the OF but not here. Seems like I was completely wrong. When am I allowed to defend myself? After I have a 1000 posts? After  being a member a year? Two years? I'd like some clarity from you on that...

@Bango. Yes, I am enjoying the kin vey much although I haven't been able to play much this last week or so. See you again I hope. .

@Quinn. Yes, those who have actually read what I have written here would know I could not possibly be Mrs Heydt. I agree with your postive remarks about older players. After all, I am one and I hope I don't exhibit any CDQ or Heydt tendencies. :) Thanks for your post.

Trurth proved himself to be a fuckwit, so I consider you in the right on that one. And the insults directed your way were ridiculous. I really have no idea what we're doing here anymore.

Trurth proved himself to be a fuckwit, so I consider you in the right on that one. And the insults directed your way were ridiculous. I really have no idea what we're doing here anymore.

Me neither. It's all a bit bizarre. Sorry for the defensive derail. I was upset but all is done and dustd now :)

By the way-so sorry to here about your layoff. I hope new doors open soon. (I've been there several times-I recently gone from teacher to taxi driver!) Take care.

Me neither. It's all a bit bizarre. Sorry for the defensive derail. I was upset but all is done and dustd now :)

By the way-so sorry to here about your layoff. I hope new doors open soon. (I've been there several times-I recently gone from teacher to taxi driver!) Take care.

Thanks! DC is imploding, and I got stuck in the crossfire. I'm feeling a little sorry for myself since it's my first time in this situation, but I really can't complain since I have friends and family and health, and I can clean houses as well as anyone else. Long weekend of scotch and self pity, then back on my feet and back to raising my amazing son and paying my rent. Onward.

• Upvote 1

I would pay handsomely for you to help me with my move. :P But I'm in Oregon at the moment, meh.

Lol, I don't fly well, but I appreciate the thought! :) If you end up in my part of the world, give me a shout--whether you need someone to manage a multimillion dollar federal contract or scrub your shower, I'm available to the highest bidder.

This used to be pretty rare around here (although Doro often used very strong language in some of his posts attacking others).

It's a matter of perspective, really. Where I live, it's just general language. Even at work recently, my manager called one of the girls into the meeting room for a one to one, and she responded 'one to ones fuck me right off'. It's just how I speak.

hi-sorry i edited my post while you were replying. I toned it down as it was more personal than intended. And I know that you oppose that word, as I did. It was my explanation of the reason for my opposition that provoked the poster Trurth to call me Mrs DJ and in turn Spidey doing the same. Anyway-all is a storm in a tea-cup now I have calmed down. Thanks for your nice reply.

TheTrurth had a whole load of other posts deleted from this thread by Muer, he also hasn't posted since so it's possible he was banned. I wouldn't take anything he said personally, he was an idiot.

TheTruth had a whole load of other posts deleted from this thread by Muer, he also hasn't posted since so it's possible he was banned. I wouldn't take anything he said personally, he was an idiot.

There is a part truth in this, and a part not. I did hide a few posts because he is indeed an idiot, I did not ban him. I think I can count the number of bans on this forum on one hand (maybe two), not counting spambots.

It's a matter of perspective, really. Where I live, it's just general language. Even at work recently, my manager called one of the girls into the meeting room for a one to one, and she responded 'one to ones fuck me right off'. It's just how I speak.

Yeah have to agree with Doro on this, in the UK it's becoming increasingly common to use profanity in everyday conversation, I think over time we've been desensitised to it.

If someone says someone is 'bubbly' they tend to mean 'fat'.

I disagree with this one, describing someone as bubbly generally to me and most people where I am (which isn't far from Doro) refers to their personality, it means they're always happy, outgoing and fun.

Despite the levelling effect of the internet, there's still plenty of regional slang and local usages for words. 

If I were to describe this forum as being "wicked pisser" (pronounced wicket pissah  ;)  ) some people might think it's a negative statement, deriving that from the negative connotations of the individual words,  Those familiar with the phrase know that it's quite positive (I note that at least a couple of people here are in MA). 

I don't use "wicked pisser" much on the internet because I don't know that every reader will know what I mean.  I'd rather avoid misunderstandings.  I avoid strong perjoratives entirely.  They distract people from what I'm trying to say, and merely using them to insult someone accomplishes nothing.

So, I have been away for a few days.

Whats the consensus?

Are these forums the bastion of free speech with grown ups using a sense of respect for others or are we all about to receive a little red book of forbidden words and other unmentionables.

CrankyCat

Whats the consensus?

Are these forums the bastion of free speech with grown ups using a sense of respect for others or are we all about to receive a little red book of forbidden words and other unmentionables.

CrankyCat

Hehehe you said unmentionables.

I hope this turns the topic into something about panties, briefs, knickers, etc

But I hope we can at least try to keep it civil.

Whats the consensus?

CrankyCat

The answer was pretty clear, Cranky.  There will be no respect for others.  Profanity increased and that 'word' in particular folks used just to show they could.  People will say whatever the hell they want and say it more if somebody DOESN'T want them to.  Don't expect different and you won't be disappointed.

Whats the consensus?

CrankyCat

From what I've seen, we're currently in the state of some people who don't like profanity being upset they aren't being listened to, some people who do like profanity being angry they're getting treated as disrespectful, and mods (no idea which) taking it upon themselves to edit posts to replace profanity with asterisks.