LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

(the extra 7 million people aren't all in the same place though.. London is huge and spread out. Also bikes take up far less space than a car. Imagine if all those cyclists in Amsterdam were driving cars. Would look a lot more like London. ;)

7999178447_e3e87542fe_o.jpg

Last off topic post I make about this, I swear. :P)

No need to post more Lothirieth = You win! :)

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

2 cents from a lurker.

And if one isn't up to swimming with sharks they may still enjoy watching the other fish through the aquarium glass.

I'm not one for swimming with sharks.  

Call me a noob, call me a scaredy-cat, call me a weakling for needing to hide behind the protection of moderators.  It is what it is.

I lurk on this forum for the same reason I watch news channels that don't align with my own political leaning--I like to be well informed, and weigh multiple competing perspectives.  There are people on this forum who are capable of presenting very reasonable, intelligent, valid arguments.  I enjoy reading these posts, even if I do not always agree with them 100%.

There are also people on this forum who I would categorize as the afore-mentioned sharks.  They are trolls.  I do not want to engage in discussion with these people, because it would not be a profitable "discussion" in any sense of the word.  I fully appreciate the very commendable idea of a forum free from excessive censorship and moderation.  But I don't think it always works well in practice, because not everyone uses the responsibility of such freedom wisely.  The sharks have very little mercy and understanding.  The sharks will swarm as soon as they smell blood.

I will say--I was once mentioned on this forum (not in any negative manner).  And I will admit that I felt a little bit of pride when I saw it.  I made it onto the angry forum?  I'm famous!

Thus ends my first and only post.

• Upvote 1

I will say--I was once mentioned on this forum (not in any negative manner).  And I will admit that I felt a little bit of pride when I saw it.  I made it onto the angry forum?  I'm famous!

You can't go all teasing me like that. Who are you that we would have mentioned you? And in the neutral/positive manner!

There are also people on this forum who I would categorize as the afore-mentioned sharks.  They are trolls.  I do not want to engage in discussion with these people, because it would not be a profitable "discussion" in any sense of the word.  

...  I made it onto the angry forum?  I'm famous!...

You'll find that introducing yourself using such phrases on any forum will result in some "interesting" responses. Really no more different for someone to post just once on the lotro OF slagging off the posters there as just a bunch of idiot fanboys.

Though I'm sure you're aware, your post fits the following description quite nicely:

8. Provoking, Trolling, and “baiting.”

Threads or posts that are intended to create a strong negative or emotional reaction, provoke conflict, or are made simply for ‘shock value’ are considered trolling. Debating a topic on the merits or holding a strong opinion are acceptable, however making posts to provoke conflict or incite, bait, or mock others who disagree with you are not.

https://www.lotro.com/en/content/community-guidelines

2 cents from a lurker.

Call me a noob, call me a scaredy-cat, call me a weakling for needing to hide behind the protection of moderators.  It is what it is.

I lurk on this forum for the same reason I watch news channels that don't align with my own political leaning--I like to be well informed, and weigh multiple competing perspectives.  There are people on this forum who are capable of presenting very reasonable, intelligent, valid arguments.  I enjoy reading these posts, even if I do not always agree with them 100%.

There are also people on this forum who I would categorize as the afore-mentioned sharks.  They are trolls.  I do not want to engage in discussion with these people, because it would not be a profitable "discussion" in any sense of the word.  I fully appreciate the very commendable idea of a forum free from excessive censorship and moderation.  But I don't think it always works well in practice, because not everyone uses the responsibility of such freedom wisely.  The sharks have very little mercy and understanding.  The sharks will swarm as soon as they smell blood.

Reading opinions that don't line up with your own to broaden your perspective makes you OK in my book.  I hope you can come back some day and tell us more about your own opinions.

2 cents from a lurker.

Welcome Scared Lurker!

No need to swim... you have now entered our domain!

quint-gets-devoured-o.gif

Big ocean and not that many sharks here really... unless the conversation involves a certain, now departed, Community Manager. :)

Edit: Joking above but the conversation here goes beyond LOTRO. As LOTRO gradually moves towards sailing westward there are still plenty of MMO's for addicts to discuss as well as topics beyond the gaming realm.

• Upvote 1

What, no Sharknado clips available yet?

And aw, I don't want to see Quint like that!

I really love Quint... he should've won that fight! :)

My thread here on Quint (some call him Robert Shaw) being robbed of an Oscar.

2 cents from a lurker.

I may seem like a shark at first but deep down there's a heart under all this dissension.   What I did on the o boards was let a dozen or so keep me from saying what I really meant at times.  Don't let that happen here.  Mostly we have many players passionate about Lotro.  No matter if they played yesterday or 2 years ago.  There's no need to run away really. 

I will say that yesterday was the first time I put a user on ignore here in the nearly year I've been here.   Sure there are one or two that maybe express themselves loudly, but for the most part it's a tight knit community.   I almost know what some members are going to type before they type it.  And I'm sure most have heard enough of my ramblings to know what diarrhea of the mouth I'm about to have.   I can truly say we have fun here and I've never really been personally attacked here even when I disagree with the masses. 

If this forum has sharks, the o board has Piranhas.   At least the shark will release you when it discovers you are not a seal.  A piranha won't care and continue to feed.   There was a time when a certain few individuals (some well known) would follow me from thread to thread just to either make my point of view invalid or flat out troll me.  None of this ever happened here.   Besides I finally figured it wasn't worth my time to talk to those folks or even make pleas to the developers of Lotro.  The posters I reference post so much that at times their posts do not even make sense.  They'd rather police a forum than play a game.

Some would say that is because I share many of the opinions being posted here.   But honestly the one thing you see on here a lot is the Richard Heaton hate.  That is something I never took part in. Sure Richard and myself had our little tangle around the forth of July weekend, but neither of us takes it personally. 

Now if you want to see Quinn with a pitchfork and torch post a picture of the Paiz's.  That's sure to fill me with piss and vinegar. 

You'll find that introducing yourself using such phrases on any forum will result in some "interesting" responses. Really no more different for someone to post just once on the lotro OF slagging off the posters there as just a bunch of idiot fanboys.

Though I'm sure you're aware, your post fits the following description quite nicely:

8. Provoking, Trolling, and “baiting.”

Threads or posts that are intended to create a strong negative or emotional reaction, provoke conflict, or are made simply for ‘shock value’ are considered trolling. Debating a topic on the merits or holding a strong opinion are acceptable, however making posts to provoke conflict or incite, bait, or mock others who disagree with you are not.

https://www.lotro.com/en/content/community-guidelines

Nah, it was a good post, fairly worded, at least imho.

Though, the only niggle with logic in the post I'd have is that this person participates on the OF's, which most certainly has trolls as well!

Anyway, *waves to Scared Lurker*. Your first post here went well I think, perhaps now that you've dipped your toe in for a second, you might reconsider speaking up in the future. There may be folks you don't want to talk with here and that's fine. You wouldn't be the only one utilising the ignore function. :P

2 cents from a lurker.

Hi, nice post. You did a pretty good job for your only post.

There are a ton of people who lurk here. Nothing wrong with that.

There are always like anywhere from 4 to 40 people reading the main posts on this forum as "guests" - most of them never register and just lurk, I am guessing. 

2 cents from a lurker.

Great post! And the freedom of choice is the most important, being lurker is one of the options.

Unless you really can't be more active, even if you would want to ;) (conspiracy jokes, you know ;))

Wow! Doro finally got banned (albeit, only briefly)? That made my day! :D:P

As to the rest of it, I don't hang around here much these days, so I don't know what Dar's moderation has been like (no, Dar wasn't the trigger for me mostly departing), but I do know that this, as it has always been, is MueR's forum. Now, mostly I trust MueR to be a miserable old git (despite him being rather younger than me), but I also trust him to run a forum. So I would suggest that the best course is to let him sort things out quietly & privately. Yelling in public rarely does any good. Especially on the internet, where you will never even metaphorically carry your teeth home in a paper bag, as you might well deserve! ;)

2 cents from a lurker.

Whether you continue to post or not, welcome and happy reading!

2 cents from a lurker.

What, no Sharknado clips available yet?

And aw, I don't want to see Quint like that!

04-1-hand.gif?w=650&h=365

Lol, it's not that bad here ... really.

02-chomp.gif?w=650&h=365