LOTROCommunity

What the hell is happening to this forum with regards to moderation?

This.

My female Hair dresser is a highly talented artist with as cesspool of a mouth. The C-word flies out of her mouth like bullets to a machine gun. Absolute laugh!

The limits to apply are personal limits. Honestly, how many times has the word been used?

Personal responsibility and sense of occasion rules.

No to Censorship.

CrankyCat

I really can't recall it ever being used and I know for sure the only time I used it in these forums is in this thread. The closest I've come is telling Doro he's acting like a twat. :D

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding our reputation, my only real concern is that I'd prefer that we not get too nasty towards newcomers and people who still enjoy LOTRO, because we should want fresh faces and new perspectives

Ugh, this is getting stupid.   1. I think some of you are choosing to assume the worst about all of Bucko's posts because some of them come off the wrong way. I didn't see any difference in his c-wo

What I've always liked about this forum is that it has always felt natural. It was a place where conservations could take place. Conversations start on a particular subject and finish on an often comp

Ooo! Is there a fight, Bas? Who do you reckon Vor is fighting? Which side do you reckon we should pick o.... Sorry? Vor thinks we're fighting each other?! Oh dear. {sniggers nastily} Is he ever in for a nasty surprise. Will you tell him or shall I... {evil grin}

True, Spidey, but on Anet's forums, it must be borne in mind that kitten is an expletive. Only a Yank could do that to such a sweet and innocent... {ducks & runs}

Ooo! Is there a fight, Bas? Who do you reckon Vor is fighting? Which side do you reckon we should pick o.... Sorry? Vor thinks we're fighting each other?! Oh dear. {sniggers nastily} Is he ever in for a nasty surprise. Will you tell him or shall I... {evil grin}

True, Spidey, but on Anet's forums, it must be borne in mind that kitten is an expletive. Only a Yank could do that to such a sweet and innocent... {ducks & runs}

What is this?

Spoiling my entertainment?

This shall not stand!

Wow! Doro finally got banned (albeit, only briefly)? That made my day! :D:P

As to the rest of it, I don't hang around here much these days, so I don't know what Dar's moderation has been like (no, Dar wasn't the trigger for me mostly departing), but I do know that this, as it has always been, is MueR's forum. Now, mostly I trust MueR to be a miserable old git (despite him being rather younger than me), but I also trust him to run a forum. So I would suggest that the best course is to let him sort things out quietly & privately. Yelling in public rarely does any good. Especially on the internet, where you will never even metaphorically carry your teeth home in a paper bag, as you might well deserve! ;)

It didn't last long... when we cut into Doro... ACID FOR BLOOD !!!

I go to Manchester for an interview and some other activities(Old Trafford, YO!)and this shit really took off.

Good luck LV!

I really love Quint... he should've won that fight! :)

My thread here on Quint (some call him Robert Shaw) being robbed of an Oscar.

Watching Jaws right now! What I love about Quint is that Shaw got the part pitch perfect. I've met 100's of Captains in my career from masters of 600 foot freighters to 20 foot mullet boats, they are a strange and rare breed.

Favorite Quint quote:

"Well it proves one thing, Mr. Hooper. It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong."

Make sure you never visit the Netherlands. I'm not sure you could cope. :P

Seriously though, I love all the cycling here (and how they're not stupidly considered a menace!) Much better way of life imho!

Obesity Rates by Country.  Hm...

E3514g1.gif

E3514g1.gif

To be fair, though, our I think our US Food and Drug Administration has revised what they consider to be Obese in America over the last few years. I'm considered "Grossly Obese" on the scale now, while a decade ago my weight was just a little heavy for my height. It's ridiculous! But yes, there are a lot of fat people in America. We eat high fat foods, and don't get enough exercise. That's why I've taken to hiking through the employee parking garage at work each night, upwards through all five floors, then jog down the stairs and hike around a large building nearby, all during my lunchbreak. It amounts to just shy of a mile and a half in distance, and takes me 20-30 minutes to complete. If I make that trek 3 times a week or so, I should be down to my "optimal" weight (under the new guidelines) of 175 pounds in no time at all.

Watching Jaws right now! What I love about Quint is that Shaw got the part pitch perfect. I've met 100's of Captains in my career from masters of 600 foot freighters to 20 foot mullet boats, they are a strange and rare breed.

Favorite Quint quote:

"Well it proves one thing, Mr. Hooper. It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong."

How good is Quint?

Quint is so good he doesn't even need to speak for a great quote!

Hmm... perhaps Scared Lurker has a point... we are rather Sharkey's men (and ladies) here.

E3514g1.gif

That is missing India. According to some sources India is worse than the US for obesity, and that is even counting areas that are too poor to be fat.

To be fair, though, our I think our US Food and Drug Administration has revised what they consider to be Obese in America over the last few years. I'm considered "Grossly Obese" on the scale now, while a decade ago my weight was just a little heavy for my height. It's ridiculous! But yes, there are a lot of fat people in America. We eat high fat foods, and don't get enough exercise. That's why I've taken to hiking through the employee parking garage at work each night, upwards through all five floors, then jog down the stairs and hike around a large building neTharby, all during my lunchbreak. It amounts to just shy of a mile and a half in distance, and takes me 20-30 minutes to complete. If I make that trek 3 times a week or so, I should be down to my "optimal" weight (under the new guidelines) of 175 pounds in no time at all.

It's worse than just a lot of fat. The food quality is atrocious and adds a lot of calories compared to eating the same kind of fatty food in civilized countries. Just for example our freedom fries as served in McDonalds are coated. The coat is mostly sugar, and it holds on to fat. Then we cut them thinner so that the coat/potato ratio goes up and calories go through the roof for the same half a pond of fries compared to plain ones.

Large amounts of salt don't help. Everything comes with butter or cheese now, or both. Corn syrup everything. Americanized chinese good has most of the calories in the corn starch that makes the sauce of General whatever chicken so thick I could use it to glue a guitar together. the same chicken dish in Europe has a lot less calories.

And usually it isn't more tasty because of the crappy quality of the basic meat.

Food in Boston is pretty gross over-all too. Unless you go to a good restaurant, or some weird ethnic or health food place. It's all pretty much Dunkin Donuts, pizza, and generally crappy food. Boston is also the city in the US that eats the most ice cream. In general, yeah the food is low quality in the US - such as compared to Europe.

Most Americans also eat what the big companies serves them: soda, crappy, artificial bread with lots of sugar and salt, etc. If you go to a "standard" grocery market in the US, the food is really processed, high in fat, super-cheap oils, salt, etc. Things are changing a bit slowly though.

I lived in France for weeks many times and then came back to Boston. It was always a shock to see how much fatter people were in Boston after being in Europe. California is a bit different, and in SF the general quality of food, even at cheap cafes, etc. is much better. Better quality food, and more fresh vegetables (cause we grow it all close by). But, in general, I would say the US is a lost cause when it comes to food. Sure, some restaurants are good, and the US is a huge place, but Americans don't eat very well (most of us).

@Nosam9 & Darmokk

Althrough Europe and most countries in the world generally are getting fatter.

Biggest problem imho is that healthy food is expensive and it is getting more expensive, while junk food and also things like chocolate, sweets, processed foods high in hardened fat, salt, and conservants is cheap and it is getting cheaper.    At least that is pricing process I see in my country.

Another thing that is making a world of hurt - is that people work longer and/or commute to work longer too. That leave you less time & strenght to make food yourself.

So basically it all comes down to rising inequalities in societies,  lower and middle class have to work longer and longer because they're getting poorer and because corporations are getting bigger,  because food process and distribution technologies are getting better and because big companies and coporation pay less taxes (% wise) than smaller companies and normal people - then they can offer junk food and ingridients (hardened fats, cheap oils, etc)  at very low price.

Of course people laziness and people inability to deny themself food that are absurdly high in sugar, fat, salt and chemical taste improvers and/or artifical sweeteners plays a role too.    I would not blame everything on societies themself, but look on a bigger picture why certain things are happening.

There really is no need to use the C word if some people obviously find it so offensive. There are plenty of other words to use!

Trouble is, a lot of people complaining about the use of the C word as it's offensive, don't give a toss if say they blaspheme in a thread which many Christians would find offensive.

What most are really saying is they find it offensive so sod everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Trouble is, a lot of people complaining about the use of the C word as it's offensive, don't give a toss if say they blaspheme in a thread which many Christians would find offensive.

What most are really saying is they find it offensive so sod everyone else.

I'm sorry but what a load of bull. No they aren't. And I can also count on one hand the people (who did not complain, mind you) who said they'd rather that word not used here. Try reading a bit closer regarding the polite requests which were not demands and not accuse others of motives they don't have. How do you have any clue if me, Tui, or Lauri don't 'give a toss' about blasphemy. Oh, that's right, you don't!

Also I don't recall myself ever using blasphemy here (which personally I don't have an issue with since I'm agnostic), but if another person really had an issue with it, made a polite request, I'd do my best not to use said words out of respect if I had been.

• Upvote 4

Actually, it's not high fat foods that are the problem, which is one reason why calorie counting is complete bollocks. It's high-carb diets that are the problem (and they, typically, are eaten by the poorer sections of any society because they're cheap, which is why there are many poor fat, yet malnourished people around). Try getting your hands on Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. You may not agree with everything in it, you may not change your diet as a result, but he has some very compelling arguments to make.

I prefer the Jaws remake out of Uruguay:

I AM VORONTUR AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

Actually, it's not high fat foods that are the problem, which is one reason why calorie counting is complete bollocks. It's high-carb diets that are the problem (and they, typically, are eaten by the poorer sections of any society because they're cheap, which is why there are many poor fat, yet malnourished people around). Try getting your hands on Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. You may not agree with everything in it, you may not change your diet as a result, but he has some very compelling arguments to make.

It's eating anything without properly exercising that is the problem. Everything else is just pure bollocks.

Food in Boston is pretty gross over-all too. Unless you go to a good restaurant, or some weird ethnic or health food place. It's all pretty much Dunkin Donuts, pizza, and generally crappy food. Boston is also the city in the US that eats the most ice cream. In general, yeah the food is low quality in the US - such as compared to Europe.

That's funny since I don't like Boston's ice cream at all. I save my ice cream to when I visit my home in Europe or on NYC trips.

Most Americans also eat what the big companies serves them: soda, crappy, artificial bread with lots of sugar and salt, etc. If you go to a "standard" grocery market in the US, the food is really processed, high in fat, super-cheap oils, salt, etc. Things are changing a bit slowly though.

I lived in France for weeks many times and then came back to Boston. It was always a shock to see how much fatter people were in Boston after being in Europe. California is a bit different, and in SF the general quality of food, even at cheap cafes, etc. is much better. Better quality food, and more fresh vegetables (cause we grow it all close by). But, in general, I would say the US is a lost cause when it comes to food. Sure, some restaurants are good, and the US is a huge place, but Americans don't eat very well (most of us).

There is a bit light at the end of the tunnel and that is improved laws for labeling food. One example is New York's law that restaurants have to list the calories on their menus. That exposes how excessive the non-fast food chains in particular are. It is really evil. TGI Friday for example serves you "salads" that have more calories than a hamburger + freedom fries meal (assuming no further evilness done to the fries and the hamburger).

The chains are really evil and I think that documentation and information will help long-term.

I wonder why we can't have that law in Massachusetts.

@Nosam9 & Darmokk

Althrough Europe and most countries in the world generally are getting fatter.

Biggest problem imho is that healthy food is expensive and it is getting more expensive, while junk food and also things like chocolate, sweets, processed foods high in hardened fat, salt, and conservants is cheap and it is getting cheaper.    At least that is pricing process I see in my country.

Another thing that is making a world of hurt - is that people work longer and/or commute to work longer too. That leave you less time & strenght to make food yourself.

So basically it all comes down to rising inequalities in societies,  lower and middle class have to work longer and longer because they're getting poorer and because corporations are getting bigger,  because food process and distribution technologies are getting better and because big companies and coporation pay less taxes (% wise) than smaller companies and normal people - then they can offer junk food and ingridients (hardened fats, cheap oils, etc)  at very low price.

Of course people laziness and people inability to deny themself food that are absurdly high in sugar, fat, salt and chemical taste improvers and/or artifical sweeteners plays a role too.    I would not blame everything on societies themself, but look on a bigger picture why certain things are happening.

True. I actually said the same thing to somebody yesterday.

I visit Europe once or twice a year and live there as a non-tourist, going to regular supermarkets.

There is a very noticeable tendency that the cheap German food is a lot better than the cheap American food, but also not quite as cheap. Good food is very expensive in America, more so than in Germany, and quite frankly not nearly as good taste-wise (still too much salt and sugar and rotten milk products such as butter and cheese), not to mention nutritional value wise.

In that price region where the Germans place their cheaper food there is a large gap of nothing in the U.S., unless specifically if you go to a farmer's market or farm stand for the veggies and go through extra trouble to get decent plain meat. That takes a lot of time that people simply don't have. And American supermarkets are really annoying and take a lot of time and energy. So people don't do that, especially not after working American hours. And even if they do all the above, then they still have to cook.

Anything ready to eat in the US is unedible for a European brought up person and it seems very unhealthy for those who can eat it.