LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Ilodid

Perma-Death Adventure

@My man, the Quinn

Honestly, I'm usually the same way when I play games. Which sucks because I don't like playing tank classes so I die a lot. Which makes this style of leveling really weird and difficult for me. :P

The oh shit button is used on every pull.  If i feel I don't need it more enemies will be pulled. 

Well me personally I'm glad someone can find some enjoyment in the old content.  If it's playing a new style, class or even different way, it won't change the greatness of 1-65, but it can freshen it up.  If i felt my money was going to be spent well by turbine I'd reup and quest with ya!

Sadly it is the equivalent of throwing it into a furnace.

I can't wait for the later level screen shots.  Can I possibly suggest a quest route?

If I could I would suggest you spend some time after completing the Moria intro in Forochel.  Some of the early stuff is real spread out but 48-50 isn't too bad. 

The Peekos are some of my favorite mobs.  Take a screen shot when you are fighting and then take a screen shot after they kick up the snow.   I tried to do a run out of that Peeko cave after killing the matron and it was always funny to just see a white screen.  And then me being a dope running through it into dead ends!

The oh shit button is used on every pull.  If i feel I don't need it more enemies will be pulled. 

Well me personally I'm glad someone can find some enjoyment in the old content.  If it's playing a new style, class or even different way, it won't change the greatness of 1-65, but it can freshen it up.  If i felt my money was going to be spent well by turbine I'd reup and quest with ya!

Sadly it is the equivalent of throwing it into a furnace.

I can't wait for the later level screen shots.  Can I possibly suggest a quest route?

If I could I would suggest you spend some time after completing the Moria intro in Forochel.  Some of the early stuff is real spread out but 48-50 isn't too bad. 

The Peekos are some of my favorite mobs.  Take a screen shot when you are fighting and then take a screen shot after they kick up the snow.   I tried to do a run out of that Peeko cave after killing the matron and it was always funny to just see a white screen.  And then me being a dope running through it into dead ends!

Yeah, I'll consider that. I've never been a big fan of Forochel to be honest though. I typically do Eregion around that level. Though I could always run up there and fight a few mobs just for the screen shots :)

Your game play style sounds a lot like my brother's. Pull anything and everything within sight and barely survive while doing it. It's always fun when I quest with him. Though don't tell him I said that ;)

On the note of "oh shit!" buttons, my kin dubbed me "the coward of OD" because of how I'd always hit desperate flight when it became apparent it was dying time. I'd always be running back with the healer that retreated. Not really the best survival skill to push forward in a fight and its cooldown leaves something to be desired, but it does serve as a really great "oh shit!" skill. :D

Yeah, I'll consider that. I've never been a big fan of Forochel to be honest though. I typically do Eregion around that level. Though I could always run up there and fight a few mobs just for the screen shots :)

Your game play style sounds a lot like my brother's. Pull anything and everything within sight and barely survive while doing it. It's always fun when I quest with him. Though don't tell him I said that ;)

On the note of "oh shit!" buttons, my kin dubbed me "the coward of OD" because of how I'd always hit desperate flight when it became apparent it was dying time. I'd always be running back with the healer that retreated. Not really the best survival skill to push forward in a fight and its cooldown leaves something to be desired, but it does serve as a really great "oh shit!" skill. :D

Let's just say I've scared some kinnies even on my warden during Foundry speed runs.   And in SG.  And in BFE (tanking 2 trolls for a very long time).   At one point I had our supreme mini trying to get me to pull about 8 groups with the troll boss in foundry.........it did not end well for some players.

This might be something fun to try in Rift. I'd do it in TSW, but there is at least one story quest that you have to die during to complete, as you must be in ghost form to enter the otherwise inaccessible jail cell to check out the clues therein.

Lol, I don't think I've managed to play Rift for an evening yet without dying at least once! I'm terrible--it's pretty funny. I really need to work on being aware of my surroundings (for example, me in LOTRO: oh look, isn't this pretty...splat...where did that cliff come from?). But it's great to be playing a game where you have to pay attention and learn how to do things.

Speedy recovery, Ilodid, and enjoy your adventures!

It is quite easy to die in Rift, especially in the large zone events in the higher zones. You can very quickly be overcome by waves of attacking mobs in some areas, not to mention the normal mobs in the zone being brought into the fights as people move around trying to avoid AOE attacks. On the plus side the hectic nature of some of the events is great fun

It is quite easy to die in Rift, especially in the large zone events in the higher zones. You can very quickly be overcome by waves of attacking mobs in some areas, not to mention the normal mobs in the zone being brought into the fights as people move around trying to avoid AOE attacks. On the plus side the hectic nature of some of the events is great fun

It's amazing how many people won't pay attention to the signs of trouble, especially when the raid leader specifically mentions what is going to happen, like:

- How adds will come at certain percentages of Barz's remaining morale; or

- How Asmolf can actually take care of the infinite waves of mobs all by himself; or

- How you don't want to stay in the middle of the giant camp too long, due to the 60k+ Ghashfra that will periodically pour down the path ahead; or

- How those pesky Urfon will keep being spawned by fumeroles until the latter are taken out; or

- How the seers with Narnulubat will give him a nasty damage aura until they are taken out; or

- How you really, really don't want to stay at the top of the stairs in the Norbar fight; or

- How you don't want to get close to Glathlírel until the whole raid is ready to start; or

- How the team will auto-wipe if she dies; and

- How that nasty-coloured water - just like a lot of bodies of nasty-coloured water in the game - will kill characters instantly.

He meant the MMO Rift, Dal, not "the Rift" raid in LotRO. :P

Zone events in Rift are multistage mob invasions covering an entire zone, leading up to the final stage boss fight. The underpinning mechanic for Rift's zone events is public grouping, where you can join any public raid that's participating at the time. The zone event stages often have at least two required prongs to complete by players---both offense and defense, but coordination isn't really required until the boss stage.

Most zone event bosses aren't very complicated (eh, none of them are, as I'm thinking about it, just different tricks); besides "avoid the obvious AoE attack circle" thing, some bosses still have mechanics that vets need to communicate to other new players who haven't experienced the event yet. E.g. "Under the Table" in the level cap zone Dendrome, it's common for the raid(s) to completely wipe the first time unless everyone uses the timed Ascended skill or manages to get to a buff keg while slowed. Same goes with the "emo" event also in Dendrome, because EVERYONE has to use a debuff on the boss when the channeled shield goes up or that's an instant wipe on multiple raids. Having three full raids running around a zone event is pretty fun, though.

He meant the MMO Rift, Dal, not "the Rift" raid in LotRO. :P

Zone events in Rift are multistage mob invasions covering an entire zone, leading up to the final stage boss fight. The underpinning mechanic for Rift's zone events is public grouping, where you can join any public raid that's participating at the time. The zone event stages often have at least two required prongs to complete by players---both offense and defense, but coordination isn't really required until the boss stage.

Most zone event bosses aren't very complicated (eh, none of them are, as I'm thinking about it, just different tricks); besides "avoid the obvious AoE attack circle" thing, some bosses still have mechanics that vets need to communicate to other new players who haven't experienced the event yet. E.g. "Under the Table" in the level cap zone Dendrome, it's common for the raid(s) to completely wipe the first time unless everyone uses the timed Ascended skill or manages to get to a buff keg while slowed. Same goes with the "emo" event also in Dendrome, because EVERYONE has to use a debuff on the boss when the channeled shield goes up or that's an instant wipe on multiple raids. Having three full raids running around a zone event is pretty fun, though.

Ahhhhhh.  Gotcha.  Sorry, I see trigger words like "Rift" and "easy to die" and I knee-jerk.

ScreenShot00472_zps5db06b0b.jpg

Already over 1 gold at level 15. I remember when it used to take you a fair amount of time for that.

ScreenShot00482_zps6f2224bc.jpg

Who doesn't like killing Cargul?

Hope you continue to feel better, Ilodid.

Regarding RIFT (mmo): if there were a deed for dying I'd have nailed it a long time ago. Hey, at least I'm good at something. ;)

• Upvote 2

Hope you feel better IIodid - I see you are on Ark and in GOTWT - I used to be in that kin - some really nice folks there - if you need a hand give a shout in GLFF/WD

Hope you continue to feel better, Ilodid.

Regarding RIFT (mmo): if there were a deed for dying I'd have nailed it a long time ago. Hey, at least I'm good at something. ;)

Hope you feel better IIodid - I see you are on Ark and in GOTWT - I used to be in that kin - some really nice folks there - if you need a hand give a shout in GLFF/WD

Thanks to both of you for the well wishes. I've been playing with GOTWT since '09 I think. Did you play a guardian?

EDIT: I knew I recognized you're name. My main is Valondon

I played on one of everything - about the only class I was probably competent in was hunter though (at least on a raid)

I wasn't sure who your main was but I recognized the name

Congrats on 17! Where are you headed after you escape the evils of the Old Forest?

And speaking of how much gold we used to not have, remember how much a horse used to cost?

I played on one of everything - about the only class I was probably competent in was hunter though (at least on a raid)

I wasn't sure who your main was but I recognized the name

Yeah, it was always bugging me trying to figure out where I knew your name from. But now I remember being in groups with you and chatting with you in kin. My memory sucks. A lot of people in GOTWT stopped playing pre helm's deep, and even less played before U14. I actually see more people on now than what I saw after the release of the Erebor "raid" cluster. Malene and Mord mainly play on another server. Spook hasn't really been around in a long time, I think he's busy with real life. Nyn is currently the kin leader. I really miss how things used to be :(

Congrats on 17! Where are you headed after you escape the evils of the Old Forest?

And speaking of how much gold we used to not have, remember how much a horse used to cost?

Yeah! I remember when I first started playing, a guy in my kin decided to show me around the game. He took me on farming routes that he used to grind for money. So I sat in the Lone Lands grinding the gold solo, and I grinded a lot (for back then) of money in the Trollshaws when I was able to get a group. Fun times. Getting a mount felt like a real achievement. 

Yeah - there was a time when GOTWT was great - mostly a mature community that was just plain fun to do stuff with.  Spooky and Gandir were particularly adept at running raids - imo - and going slow enough to explain things even to the "casual raider" like myself

ScreenShot00509_zps12d51ab9.jpg

Lag came close to killing me. I was going to an orc camp when sever lag struck. I was at full health and then I got down to this low before I could even move my character. Lucky I got out of there, otherwise I would have been dead. Would have only taken an additional second or two of lag to kill me.

Death by lag really doesn't seem fair at all...

No, and it would piss me off a lot because it would take away the undying title. I still haven't decided if death by lag will count for real, but at the very least I want all of my "hasn't died" titles.

Maybe you will be killed by turtles by a player who still has them in his bag. About a .0001 percent chance, but hey it could happen.

An old kinmate of mine came up with an idea that you could only wear the undying title until you die.  

What good is it after you die?  Kind of like wearing a Im a Virgin Shirt to your 3rd wedding.

An old kinmate of mine came up with an idea that you could only wear the undying title until you die.  

What good is it after you die?  Kind of like wearing a Im a Virgin Shirt to your 3rd wedding.

Maybe that's why you're on your third wedding? :P

Im actually reinstalling lotro for the first time in a good year...this thread inspires me to to try and play for more than 30 mins and delete it again.  Of course Sap quitting <cough fired cough fired> makes it more palatable too.