LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Ilodid

Perma-Death Adventure

Im actually reinstalling lotro for the first time in a good year...this thread inspires me to to try and play for more than 30 mins and delete it again.  Of course Sap quitting <cough fired cough fired> makes it more palatable too.

Hope you have fun. There's still a lot of good content before the latest expansions, so maybe you could try re-rolling instead of playing your main. This thread started with me talking about in another thread how I really wanted to play through Mirkwood again and a bunch of people here encouraged me to do just that. However, why not add a little spice to it? :D

Ok, I have a question. Since this is as much for you all as it is me, I will let you all choose where I quest next.

1) Lone-Lands?

2) North Downs?

Glad to see you are still going strong Ilodid. I've been messing a bit in Rift but I always seem to come back to Lotro. The interesting difference between the two...in Rift, nothing you do before hitting level 50 matters (deeds, traits, rep, story, etc). It has no bearing on your skills and/attributes when u get to level cap. Where as Lotro almost forces you to explore and quest through every part of middle earth in order to reach your full potential at level cap.

The implementation of Rift's Storm Legion expansion (raising cap from 50 to 60) was apparently quite dividing at the time due to completely negating level 50 gains for most people; I don't know, having started after SL. I'd say the leveling experience in 1-50 Rift is decent for practicing grouping and figuring out game mechanics as a whole, not necessarily the finer points of class mechanics until 50-60 since you can't max a tree until later anyway.

Anyway, Ilodid, why not both? :P

Ok, I have a question. Since this is as much for you all as it is me, I will let you all choose where I quest next.

1) Lone-Lands?

2) North Downs?

If it were me, I haven't been to the North Downs since they revamped it so I would want to check that out.

Im actually reinstalling lotro for the first time in a good year...this thread inspires me to to try and play for more than 30 mins and delete it again.  Of course Sap quitting <cough fired cough fired> makes it more palatable too.

I have updated the launcher after a good year as well.

Logged in with my main char (he was at lvl 85) did book 11 and started questing in Rohan and...i quickly reminded myslef why i wasn't playing LOTRO at all. Rohan (the whole of it) has to be the most boring region in the whole game, quest wise (although the landscape is boring as well).

I did not give up and rolled a new LM and...running new char is actually fun. I even bought an xp disabler (had loads of TP stockpiled) to make it even more fun and so that i can spend longer in the early areas as they are the most fun.

I also reactivated my R6 spider which is also fun ;)

All of this was done because of this thread ;)

I would go to North Downs, they've streamlined the quests beginning at Trestlebridge so its not such a mess.  Granted, I wouldn't go until you are at least 24 :)

I normally have skipped that entire area when I level, but now I'm finding it quite fun

North Downs - I have taken way too many alts through Lone Lands (which I enjoy) but I am curious how the revamp worked for ND - if you want - I can try to log on my woodworker and get some bows made up for ya - think I still have some wood somewhere (or it won't take long to gather what is needed for a bow/spear)

I've always liked the Lone Lands, though I think it's mostly for Weathertop being there, it's on the way to Rivendell, and because I like the music.  North Downs always seemed like such a mishmash to me before.  Not sure how the revamp may have changed it though.

I guess I'd be curious enough to see the revamp that I'd head there first, myself.

I love the little dungeon in Lone lands. They did that really well. It was fun the first time finding the door to it and exploring.

Honestly, I kind of think both lone lands and north downs are equally bad. Maybe North downs is a little better IMO. Both are kind of spread out and require a lot of horse riding back and forth, I think.

Hope you have fun. There's still a lot of good content before the latest expansions, so maybe you could try re-rolling instead of playing your main. This thread started with me talking about in another thread how I really wanted to play through Mirkwood again and a bunch of people here encouraged me to do just that. However, why not add a little spice to it? :D

Im rerolling on a new server...really starting over.  I abandoned Elendilmir a few years back and have 500k DP there and a few stripped midlevel toons.  Iwill use all of that to my advantage for my new character, either burg or warden, havent gotten that far yet.  

Checked out all of my friends lists on the various servers Ive played and none are higher than 85.  Guess that means its been a good year since Ive had a friend log on.  I cant even begin to describe the disappointment that brings me, I really despise what the Paiz's and Warner Bro$ have done here.

I'm glad my thread is prompting people to try to enjoy the game again. I just hope that everyone actually enjoys it that is trying again now because I'd hate to be blamed for tricking someone into wasting their time on the game :P

Anyway, I guess I'll check out what level North Downs opens up now with the revamp. I used to go there around 22 or 24 (I can't remember), but Turbine has probably changed up the level spread. If it's still a few levels into the 20's I'll quest in the Lone-Lands until I can go to North Downs. Otherwise I'll just go to North Downs.

If they added a vault access point in the Lone-lands, people might like it better.

Ok, I know I haven't updated this/played in a bit. I've been busy with some family stuff this past week. And tomorrow I get to go back to the hell that is engineering school. So I don't know how often I'll be able to do this mad adventure but I'll be sure to find some time for it. A casual stroll to Mordor indeed ;)

My baby champ hit 63 and I've just started the expeditionary quests in Mirkwood.  It was nice to see the open sky after being in Moria for a bit (granted the sun wasn't out long, just enough to pick up the quests for Mirkwood--now it's all dark and dreary again lol).

My baby champ hit 63 and I've just started the expeditionary quests in Mirkwood.  It was nice to see the open sky after being in Moria for a bit (granted the sun wasn't out long, just enough to pick up the quests for Mirkwood--now it's all dark and dreary again lol).

Mirkwood is my favorite place in the game :) I love the dark and dreary aspect. My problem with Moria wasn't the long darkness :P

ThreadNecromancy_zpsd93cfbe1.jpg

Ok, I this post won't be about my perma-death run through lotro. But it does have to do with perma death. About 2 weeks ago I hit level 70 hardcore (perma death) in Diablo. It was my first hardcore character. There were quite a few close calls and it was a lot of fun. 

Screenshot1049_zps2cb5e546.jpg

I will still be continuing my lotro adventure, I just need to find the time and motivation to do it. Currently both are lacking. I'm busy with school and I've had some personal issues going on this past month. So even when I can find the time to play games (even ones that are currently exciting to me), its very hard for me to find the motivation to. But I swear, I will at least see this through to the end of Mirkwood. Eventually.

Hey, welcome back. Grats in the Diablo thing, that is pretty awesome! Not sure I would have the patiance to do it to be honest, I'm always a bit reckless when it comes to playing Diablo.

ThreadNecromancy_zpsd93cfbe1.jpg

Ok, I this post won't be about my perma-death run through lotro. But it does have to do with perma death. About 2 weeks ago I hit level 70 hardcore (perma death) in Diablo. It was my first hardcore character. There were quite a few close calls and it was a lot of fun. 

Screenshot1049_zps2cb5e546.jpg

I will still be continuing my lotro adventure, I just need to find the time and motivation to do it. Currently both are lacking. I'm busy with school and I've had some personal issues going on this past month. So even when I can find the time to play games (even ones that are currently exciting to me), its very hard for me to find the motivation to. But I swear, I will at least see this through to the end of Mirkwood. Eventually.

I loved the first 2 Diablo games. Diablo II with the Lord of Destruction expansion was always good fun.

But I tended to play Barbarian chars, so no hardcore mode for me!

Just do it for the fun, Ilodid..... Never should a gaming goal ever become a chore. NEVAH.

Just do it for the fun, Ilodid..... Never should a gaming goal ever become a chore. NEVAH.

This! A very big This. If a game isn't fun anymore it stops being a game.

That's why I haven't been playing it. Though I want to, just saying it's been hard to motivate myself to do anything lately.

Sometimes personal stuff takes over.  It sounds like you might need a change of activity to get you going again - maybe try something completely different and see if that sparks your interest.  It might be a breath of fresh air to shake things up a bit.