LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Darmokk

Ebola

We benefit from public education by not having our society burdened by hordes of illiterates. Our European and Canadian friends seem to understand this concept just fine.

Europe and Canada may handle it differently, but in the US those who charter school their children essentially pay for other peoples' children to be in daycare with supervision.  If those children in government schools actually come out educated, it's the exception and not the rule.

If those children in government schools actually come out educated, it's the exception and not the rule.

Then there is a flaw in the system that needs to be fixed.

In the UK you can pay to send your children to private school, they school also gets some money per pupil from the government, and the only reason they tend to have higer exam marks is they have smaller teacher to pupil ratios which leads to better results.

Here's an argument for the Tinfoil Nation:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/six-reasons-panic_816387.html?page=1

And this article was written before our president announced that the "Ebola Czar" is going to be a lawyer...

Nope, nothing wrong here.

7(8)7

Schools in the US use every minor excuse they can to close for the day. It is real cash for them and they need to run a profit. Just the circus that's going on here when there is minor amounts of snow falling, potentially, tomorrow, is mind-blowing.

Are you referring to public schools? What public schools are run for profit?

In all honesty, I want an apocalypse. But I'm even pessimistic of my own pessimism, and I know it won't happen.

Don't think living in England will save you as you no longer live on an island.

This planet would be the perfect place to live if it wasn't for all the people.

^^^^THIS  Agent Smith had a right all along, humans are a virus.

A health care worker who may have had contact with the Texas Ebola patient's specimens is on a cruise right now. So in a typical 'close the barn door after the horse is out' reaction, now there is a rule. 

Travel ban for Texas health care workers in Ebola case.

/facepalm

Then there is a flaw in the system that needs to be fixed.

In the UK you can pay to send your children to private school, they school also gets some money per pupil from the government, and the only reason they tend to have higer exam marks is they have smaller teacher to pupil ratios which leads to better results.

The flaw is allowing a system that is unaccountable to the citizenry to try to do a better job than a business that must either perform or lose profit and reputation.  In the US, the Dept. of Education couldn't care less what its reputation is, because it knows it will continue to get funding, as will the State and local agencies that report to it.  So, if the government system in the US isn't being used by a citizen, then the money of that taxpayer needs to stay in his pocket, which will likely be used toward a charter/private school for his child.

I think it will stop much sooner than this, but it certainly won't reach those values since that is much larger than the combined population of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. We will certainly see isolated cases here or there, but a large scale contamination in any other probably won't happen. The entire world is now watching this closely, and when cases are in dozens and not in thousands, the disease can be stopped in a few weeks.

Bullshit. You don't wash the dead, attack doctors and think that Ebola is a false pretense to kill everyone in your village. Count how many people you touched this week. Or start now, and keep track for a week of how many do you get in direct contact. If everyone is scared of Ebola, the attitude will change in the streets, at work, etc. No-one will touch you.

Could she tell which numbers are NOT going to pop up for the next lottery ? I could use some help there !

when was the last time someone from a rural village in deep dark Africa boarded a 747 for a commuter flight from Washington DC to NYC, BOS or any other large metro area.

the history of ebola pre this out break is it spreading to everyone in the village killing those it was going to kill then stopping.  People in rural Africa don't share are mobility or need for global trade.

If it spreads in part of the US you will be confronted with american savages and hungry people rioting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IAzUHTjjMs

Ha ha. The nurse on the ship:  1) has no symptoms of Ebola, and 2) is on day 20 of the 21 day period that ensures she doesn't have it. So she is very, very likely healthy and Ebola free.  Which doesn't make a cool enough news story. 

Ha ha. The nurse on the ship:  1) has no symptoms of Ebola, and 2) is on day 20 of the 21 day period that ensures she doesn't have it. So she is very, very likely healthy and Ebola free.  Which doesn't make a cool enough news story. 

Let me ask you this, what person in their right mind would let the world or other passengers on that ship know if that nurse was showing symptoms.   Image what could go wrong.   

It would be like yelling fire in a crowded theater. all hell would break out.

The flaw is allowing a system that is unaccountable to the citizenry to try to do a better job than a business that must either perform or lose profit and reputation.  In the US, the Dept. of Education couldn't care less what its reputation is, because it knows it will continue to get funding, as will the State and local agencies that report to it.  So, if the government system in the US isn't being used by a citizen, then the money of that taxpayer needs to stay in his pocket, which will likely be used toward a charter/private school for his child.

The flaw in your thinking is that performing as an educational institution is not the only way to make money.  You can set up the charter schools so that they lease/rent everything via no-bid contracts with another one of your companies.  Just make sure your connections in the state legislature don't tighten up the laws, and you can rake it in.   Here's a link about what's going on with a charter school company and its vendors in North Carolina.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/charter-school-power-broker-turns-public-education-into-private-profits/

Any for-profit company is about profit first and foremost.  The easiest and cheapest path to higher profits is the one that will be taken, just like running the easiest raid that gives the best loot.   If the owners structure things properly, they can ensure that the at-risk company doesn't own any assets, so it has nothing much to lose if it fails and files for bankruptcy.

You see the same thing in for-profit hospitals (dragging this tangent back to Ebola).  Every possible corner will be cut in order to reduce costs and increase profit, never mind the mind-numbing price gouging built into the n-dimensional hospital fee structure.  It's cost effective for a for-profit hospital to spend as little as possible on preparedness for something like Ebola.  If they screw up, they can often rely on local government to bail them out rather than face the prospect of the only local hospital shutting down. 

Corporations game the system every way they possibly can in order to make more money. 

I can tell you one thing though: there's no vaccine.

I'll let you know when local doctors start telling people to come get their shot, at which point you'll know it's almost ready to be approved in the US and the EU.

Guess who was given his Hepatitis C vaccine around 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_C_vaccine

"One effort has involved use of the hepatitis B core antigen.[6] In a 2006 study, 60 patients received four different doses of an experimental hepatitis C vaccine. All the patients produced antibodies that the researchers believe could protect them from the virus.[7] Nevertheless, as of 2008 vaccines are still being tested.[8][9] Some efforts have entered Phase I/II human clinical trials.[10]"

"60".  Never again FFS.  Next time a local doctor offers me a new vaccine, gonna triple check to see if it's commercially available "outside the US/EU" first.  Good news is, not sure if it WORKS but no weird side effects.

• Upvote 1

He's a doctor.  He comes back to the U.S. after treating Ebola patients, and then he goes riding the subway all over the place.  It's mind boggling.

He's a doctor.  He comes back to the U.S. after treating Ebola patients, and then he goes riding the subway all over the place.  It's mind boggling.

You just couldnt make that shit up.. could you?

Stay scared everyone! And buy more stuff, your economy needs you!

My wife and I are going to cut back on our normal huge purchases of Halloween candy, because we don't think there will be many Trick-or-Treaters out this year. Just like in 2001, after 9/11, the parents kept their precious darlings home on Halloween, I expect a lot of people will be afraid to have them going door to door with so many scary diseases floating about. Not just Ebola, but my area is also having a rather nasty panic over something called "Non-Polio Enterovirus", that mostly strikes children, and has killed a handful so far in the western US the last few months.

For those few kids we do get, I've decided for the crowning scare of my always-impressive Halloween display this year, I'm going to come to the door each time feigning a cough and looking like I'm bleeding from the eyes. The kids might not get the scare, but their parents will.

but my area is also having a rather nasty panic over something called "Non-Polio Enterovirus", that mostly strikes children, and has killed a handful so far in the western US the last few months.

I can understand parents worrying about their children, I would too, but it seems to me every time the public become aware of some bug or virus mass hysteria ensues, regardless of the actual danger level.

From what I understand about Enterovirus D68 it's not actually that much more dangerous than any other respiratory infection and has actually been around for decades, according to some of the news reports I've heard recently all of the deaths so far have actually been linked to underlying neurological and lung disorders that were aggravated by the virus, something that could and does regularly happen with any virus not just EV-D68.

Did you know there is a respiratory virus that effects every single person at least once by the time they're 2 years old, killing between 66,000 and 199,000 children annually worldwide, yet it's almost never reported as anything more than natural causes? It's called RSV and also kills 10k elderly Americans every year according to the CDCP.

You just couldnt make that shit up.. could you?

Stay scared everyone! And buy more stuff, your economy needs you!

In the meantime, it seems AT&T Uverse is "accidentally" broadcasting an emergency notification message from the WH this morning...cuts into programming and tunes people's TV's to a certain station, but no emergency exists that anyone knows of. AT&T is saying it's a glitch.

Glad I'm not a TV viewer. Glitch or not, I'd need a change of underwear...

:O

Ebola, ISIS, gamergate, watergate, gaming companies, oil companies, concussions, GMO's ............ weee didn't start the fiiireee

schulz_flipbook_08.jpg

Just be glad your job isn't answering the phone at AT&T customer service today...LOL

I'd say just be glad your job isn't customer service in general.  I worked a few CS jobs while in college, and the only one I enjoyed was working for The Limited's credit card and catalog division - and that was mainly because of the woman from Tennessee who called to ask if Victoria's Secret had a special catalog for women whose bra size could not be found in the regular catalog (she needed bigger bras than VS offered).

I wonder if anyone is testing the rat population in Dallas or NYC for Ebola.

The scariest thing I read is the military is doing test to see how Ebola would effect sore systems.

If this is the case god help us all