LOTROCommunity

Nerd Love <3 <3 <3

We've all heard the expression "nerd rage" before but hardly anybody (if anyone) ever talks about nerd love.  What is it?  Is it real?  = |

Well according to this article from June of 2013 it is!  ^.^

http://io9.com/couples-who-meet-online-tend-to-have-better-marriages-511429018

The article claims that "couples who meet online tend to have better marriages" and claims "a third of all marriages now begin online"

"Of those, half started through online dating sites, with the rest beginning through other channels like chat rooms, online games, or other virtual worlds (as an aside, couples who met via social networking and multiplayer games reported the highest marital satisfaction scores). "

There are some criticisms of these statistics towards the end of the article if anybody cares.

I know that there have been many online marriages/relationships that began in online games and other virtual environments like WOW and LOTRO but what about yoos guys?  = |

Did you meet your sweetheart, soul mate, cuddlebug, cuddlebear, cutie pie or cutie pants in game?  How did it happen?  How far did you have to travel to be together?  How long did you have to wait?  DETAILS! We want juicy, raunchy details damn it!!!  (Well maybe not raunchy but we still want details).

And not to exclude anyone...

If you didn't meet online do you have a wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend who games and how has it affected your relationship?  

Do you have a wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend where only one of you games and how has it affected your relationship?

If you're single would you be open to a relationship that started inside a virtual world?  Why or why not?  = |

You're cute! *; No, you're cute!  ^.^ 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems any thread with BOA in it is like this, as he/she is likely to make many short, strange, aggressive statements. Hopefully people will learn not to reply to BOA's little aggressive quips.

I did just that, to be honest it leaves with the impression that boa is emulating a two year old stamping his/her feet because Muer won't give more personal information about his life, he/she's having

I've told all I care to tell. It has nothing to do with open or civil discussions. By the way, where's your story anyway?

I met my first partner, back in college in 1999, We met in a chat room on what was then a popular teen chatroom and magazine site. Bolt.com. Both of us where avid gamers but like all relationships online back then it began with A/S/L. I remember putting 17/f/uk and once you did that you got like a hundred dings from guys who wanted to whisper you. I took a chance on one and met a guy who i dated for around 3 years we met up after about 6 months of talking online and getting to know one another.

This is an interesting topic, because it can take so many forms. I know several couples whose relationships could be defined as Geek Love, in different ways. Some have been more successful than others. For example, the only people I know who have met online (either through chat rooms or video games), those relationships have all failed. But I also know people who met through tabletop roleplaying groups, and every one of them has lasted for many years so far, with one exception (my aunt met her ex-boyfriend through our old gaming group, but she got early onset dementia and had to be put in a care facility. She no longer knew who he was, so the boyfriend left).

It seems to me that, while online romances can succeed, they don't fare nearly as well as relationships that met in-person. And "geek" relationships tend to succeed more than standard relationships, because the two involved immediately have something in common other than physical attraction.

My housemate met his girlfriend online via an MMO--I think they were playing Neverwinter at the time?

That was over a year ago and in a month or so they will be getting their own place together.

In contrast, my best friend plays online a lot (Lotro/STO,etc.) much to the frustration of his boyfriend of 5+ years who is always telling him to get off the computer.

Something tells me that I would probably game a lot less if I had a partner.

I met my partner online initially (not a dating site or a game though she is now playing Lotro and won't shift to another game). Clicked, met, clicked some more. Been together 7 years now and very happy. Online stuff is just part of how we relax. It's quite good fun pvp-ing with your partner very literally right next to you.

I met my sweetie in LOTRO. He led the first raid I ever did (Helegrod). One might say it was love at first raid. *; Almost 4 years later we're now enjoying Rift together, and we're getting married in February.

I met my sweetie in LOTRO. He led the first raid I ever did (Helegrod). One might say it was love at first raid. *; Almost 4 years later we're now enjoying Rift together, and we're getting married in February.

I can almost copy-paste this, except I was the raid leader, it was The Rift, we haven't planned our wedding yet and my girl and I have been together for over 5 years now.

I can almost copy-paste this, except I was the raid leader, it was The Rift, we haven't planned our wedding yet and my girl and I have been together for over 5 years now.

He is not lying... for the most part.

Unfortunately, we don't share gaming anymore (apart from some D3) as Muer decided to give up MMOs completely and I am not a fan of shooters.

Unfortunately, we don't share gaming anymore (apart from some D3) as Muer decided to give up MMOs completely and I am not a fan of shooters.

Buy some instruments and ---> Rocksmith/Rocksmith 2014 and play some sweet music together(KEEP IT CLEAN, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE "OTHER" THING, PERVERTS!)

Details!  Details!  I asked for details!  >: /

For many people who find themselves in online relationships there are other barriers such as being from a different country or continent?  Would this have prevented you from being together?  Who went to whom?  What attracted you to the other person?  How far would you have gone to be together?

I know of several couples that met in LOTRO,  one couple had a baby and I beieve marriage is in the near future. I also know of someone that met another someone, left his wife and kids, moved half way across the country to be with his new love, and then they imploded.

Not sure I would ever get involved with something like this, it's the same reason I don't date people I works with, it can get way too weird, way too fast.

I know of several couples that met in LOTRO,  one couple had a baby and I beieve marriage is in the near future. I also know of someone that met another someone, left his wife and kids, moved half way across the country to be with his new love, and then they imploded.

Not sure I would ever get involved with something like this, it's the same reason I don't date people I works with, it can get way too weird, way too fast.

A lady in a "Rift" guild I was in left her husband for another guildie who lived 1000 miles away. She made it halfway to his place before he dumped her via text message, leaving her stranded at her parents' place until she patched things up with the hubby.

Bad news.

There are just as many strange and odd people met in Nightclubs and other such paces but i feel many people like to jump on the "bash the internet dater" bandwagon.

True. I would consider Nightclubs the absolute worst place to meet someone, unless all you are looking for is a one-night stand. I always suggest to my single friends that they meet new people at places they go to for fun or community. For some people, that's church, for others, it would be their local gaming store, etc. This could also apply to meeting people online, such as in an MMORPG, or on a forum community website. Hell, I met my wife at a Native American Pow-Wow, that we were both attending with others who happened to know each other. We found that - aside from common friends and an interest in Native American history - we both also enjoyed tabletop roleplaying games and heavy metal music.

Almost 22 years later, we're still together.

Awesome!  Best wishes to you all!   :Y

We have 3 couples in our kinship who met in game. One couple were just married last month. We've also seen a few relationships end because of excess in game flirting that their partners at home discovered.

One of the most enjoyable activities we had was when our (then very active) kin held an in game baby shower for one couple who both were active players. I gave permissions to all the kin in one of my houses, emptied the chests and let everyone add presents there for the expectant couple to open. :)

Edit: my husband and I celebrate our 32nd anniversary today. We met in college but nerd-bonded over scifi books and films. We game together as well.