LOTROCommunity

Your doom is nigh! Quitting smoking...

That's right... I'm going to rip off your head and crap down your neck!!!

I quit smoking a few hours ago.... YIKES!!!

Duck and cover folks!

I keep my smokes in the same place at my desk and I've reached for them an infinite number of times in the last few hours. *cry*

Any one else dropped the "coffin nails"?

Any tips?

I have quit before but the last time was >25 years ago.

Back then I found I would go through ~3 days of physical withdrawal before I felt human again.

From my past experience I would try to sleep as much as possible for those three days.

Edit: Withdrawal in the form of muscle aches, dizziness, headache... but it's the CONSTANT desire to reach for one that I find most "annoying".

Holy shit! I was literally about to post this exact same thread!

I quit smoking a couple of years ago but about 6 months ago started again because I am an idiot. I'm now finding quitting again really hard. Anyone tried electronic cigarettes? Do they work?

Duck and cover folks!

I keep my smokes in the same place at my desk and I've reached for them an infinite number of times in the last few hours. *cry*

Any tips?

Back then I found I would go through ~3 days of physical withdrawal before I felt human again.

From my past experience I would try to sleep as much as possible for those three days.

WEAKLING!

I've done stronger shit than that and quit it cold turkey, yo!

You know what I do when I need to quit something? I pretend I'm a god. I walk around shouting things in a deep booming voice in old English, and I find the willpower to do anything. It even works when dealing with spiders. I used to run out of a room the moment I spot them. I now simply roar at them 'FOUL BEAST, THOU DARE TO ENTER MY DOMAIN? YOUR PUNY FORM IS MINE!!!'

I quit smoking a couple of years ago but about 6 months ago started again because I am an idiot. I'm now finding quitting again really hard. Anyone tried electronic cigarettes? Do they work?

You said it, friend ;) Idiot! ;)

I fucked my stamina up(which was EPIC when I was in my late teens/early 20s)by smoking, drinking and doing assorted other stuff.

There's a reason I don't do any of them any more, hehe.

You know what I do when I need to quit something? I pretend I'm a god. I walk around shouting things in a deep booming voice in old English, and I find the willpower to do anything. It even works when dealing with spiders. I used to run out of a room the moment I spot them. I now simply roar at them 'FOUL BEAST, THOU DARE TO ENTER MY DOMAIN? YOUR PUNY FORM IS MINE!!!'

Spiders, yeah, there's a threshold for leaving them alone. Like, smallish sized ones. Those who are mid-size, the Cats use as hunting practice. The bigger ones get killed on sight. Speaking of which, the other week, there was a massive house spider appear out of nowhere in one of the bedrooms, it just had to go!

Like Gus Fring ;)

Duck and cover folks!

Any tips?

Edit: Withdrawal in the form of muscle aches, dizziness, headache... but it's the CONSTANT desire to reach for one that I find most "annoying".

And none of this e-Cig shit either, ya hear!

Gimmie! Gimmie your smokes! Now!!!

Good luck... and to those around us as well as I know I'm going to be "cranky" for awhile. :P

Sorry - No easy way to do quit smoking afaik.  

Well there are some medicine (prescription ones, I am not talking about nicotine pills or chewing gums) so you may try to talk to a doctor and try that. (I did not know about them when I was quitting).

Some people are stopping by constantly dropping of cigarretes smoking each day until they reach zero.  That is propably healthiest route, but propably most difficult one - and most unsuccesful one (% wise).

Only thing - cravings for cigarettes are getting smaller with time.  That's only good news for ya.   Be ready for multiple crisises as well (super intensive cravings for a smoke).

Quit back at the end of 2000 when my daughter was born, but I'd been slowly cutting down so when the time came it was not that much of a shock. But... every now and again I get a massive urge to have a smoke - mostly when sitting outside a pub with friends when the weather is nice. 

I've tried them in one of my attempts to quit. They're cute for the nicotine, but they lack the "real feel" (I know you made that dirty in your head, you sick puppy) which is why it didn't work for me. Nicotine addiction is easy to get out of your system anyway, that only takes three days. I've quit smoking at home recently, only smoke at the office, that helps a lot. I went from a pack a day to just shy of a pack a week.

Quit back at the end of 2000 when my daughter was born, but I'd been slowly cutting down so when the time came it was not that much of a shock. But... every now and again I get a massive urge to have a smoke - mostly when sitting outside a pub with friends when the weather is nice. 

I know that feeling... drinking.... when I'd have a few drinks in the bar or other social setting... torture.

I have quit for 9, 11 and 24 months when I was younger.

I was watching Hogan's Heroes on TV when Hogan grabbed a smoke and lit 'er up... I immediately was out the door on way to the nearest store.

If some actor in a totally realistic WWII prison camp can have a smoke why can't I?

That was the end of the 9 or 11 month attempt. :P

The thing (and I do not suggest this method to anyone) that worked for me is when I was in a rehab center for 6 weeks due to a leg injury where I was limited to a wheelchair in a facility that did not support smoking - it was winter time in northern New England and although they would have assisted me in going outside it would have been cruel to the staff and too much work to bundle up (when I was so weak from my injury) .  FWIW - I found quitting drinking far easier than quitting smoking

WEAKLING!

I've done stronger shit than that and quit it cold turkey, yo!

Spiders, yeah, there's a threshold for leaving them alone. Like, smallish sized ones. Those who are mid-size, the Cats use as hunting practice. The bigger ones get killed on sight. Speaking of which, the other week, there was a massive house spider appear out of nowhere in one of the bedrooms, it just had to go!

Like Gus Fring ;)

And none of this e-Cig shit either, ya hear!

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that was your default setting ;)

Only someone so thoroughly brainwashed and indoctrinated into the ABBA cult could possibly post such heartless personal attacks!

I'll show you... I'll show you all!

I'm strong!

The world trembles before my strength!

*crawls back into corner... gets into foetal position... puts thumb in mouth... softly whimpers... they'll all pay one day...*

So your vision of God is that of a man with a deep booming voice speaking in Old English?

That has got to explain something. I have no idea what yet.

Duck and cover folks!

Any tips?

Fighting the addiction of your body is the first phase.

Fighting the addiction of your mind is the second phase.

Good luck during both phases.

It can be done and it is highly beneficial to you.

You have my sympathies , i quit nearly 4 years ago and did well for 3 years then stupidly started again in March this year , i've recently quit again and it is torture , especially when friends and family members are smoking around you !

I've found the E-cigs to be very helpful this time around , i find it helps to have something in my hand and you still get the feeling of smoking to a degree plus i'm finding i enjoy it now , good luck in your endeavours :)

Spiders and insects in my room get killed, they have invaded my private space and deserve to die. Those outside I tend to leave alone unless they are bugging me

Snap! About 2 years ago I stopped smoking for about 18 months and have been smoking again for about 6 months now. I actually stopped for that 18 months by using the Ten Moments E cigarettes, they worked really well for me.

I have found though that now I've managed to quit for a considerable amount of time I can go really long times without a cigarette, originally I was on at least 20 a day but now I have restarted after an 18 month break of the habit I find that I'm only getting through about 30 per week, how about you?

Snap! About 2 years ago I stopped smoking for about 18 months and have been smoking again for about 6 months now. I actually stopped for that 18 months by using the Ten Moments E cigarettes, they worked really well for me.

I have found though that now I've managed to quit for a considerable amount of time I can go really long times without a cigarette, originally I was on at least 20 a day but now I have restarted after an 18 month break of the habit I find that I'm only getting through about 30 per week, how about you?

I was back up to about 5 a day. Not much perhaps but I could see it creeping up higher again and toward the end of last week was up to 10 a day, I decided it was time to stop then. Day 2 now of not smoking again although today has been hard, I will stick to the cold turkey method for now but I may cave in and try an e-cig if it gets too much.