LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
PJ.

Best MMO to show off my new graphics card

Hey, how are you? Hope you are good :)

I recently got a new Asus gaming laptop with a GeForce 780m GTX on board, not as good as desktop equivilents I know but is 4gb and which with that, the 16gb of memory and a i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz I love it. What MMO that is out now would you recommend please? Trying Rift and whilst I like it I don't love spending too long without getting bored. Done SWTOR and of course LOTRO.

Thanks

PJ

GW2 or TESO will show off your new graphics card the most the most I expect. Personally I am not a big fan of what I tried of TESO in beta but I do enjoy some GW2 every now and then.

• Upvote 1

GW2 or TESO will show off your new graphics card the most the most I expect. Personally I am not a big fan of what I tried of TESO in beta but I do enjoy some GW2 every now and then.

Thank you, does GW2 have better graphics and gameplay than Rift? I find I am a bit bored in Rift and not that keen on the look

GW2 certainly has better graphics. As for gameplay, in my opinion solo play and PvP is better, I enjoy the combat more although it is more difficult than Rift maybe. Where GW2 lacks sometimes is in it's group content, I think I just prefer the classic tank, healer, dps combo where I find GW2 more just about DPS, DPS, DPS.

ArcheAge will be in a large closed beta this weekend, a key shouldn't be too hard to grab. And if that's no success it'll within weeks (guesstimate) also go into open beta.

It is Cryengine 3 based, will put that card to work and within the first 10 lvl's of playing you can find a quest that gives you a glider.

The best way to celebrate that new card would be to find a nice high mountain and use that glider to fly off it.

ArcheAge doesn't offer any groundbreaking questing, will expose you to PvP beyond lvl 30, has quite some Korean grindy elements, has quite some Korean culture elements and endorses a good bit of asshattery done to you by other players.

But.

It's a seamless, beautiful world all open for you to explore sneaking, walking, running, riding a mount, riding a car, coachtravelling, hanggliding, airship travelling, swimming, diving, submarining and (last but not least) sailing.

And while you do that you'll find other players doing a plethora of other things on your way like questing, PvP-ing, crafting but also housing and farming, which are not instanced.

• Upvote 1

ESO ;)

Should it only be a choice between ESO or GW2, there is no contest graphics wise, although GW2 is definitely in the upper echelons when it comes to Mmo gfx that I've played.

I imagine ArcheAge will also give your machine a good workout. Give that a go also if you can.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Guys, will check them all out, so GW2 do you find you need things in the store or do you pay once then not need to pay again?

Thanks Guys, will check them all out, so GW2 do you find you need things in the store or do you pay once then not need to pay again?

You don't need to use the store to play any part of the game but I have used the store to buy extra vault space and some other cosmetics

You don't need to use the store to play any part of the game but I have used the store to buy extra vault space and some other cosmetics

MMO is not a good place to 'show-off' a graphic card generally.

Single player games are most graphically impressive.  

Then lobby / player-server based multiplayer games are second most impressive. 

MMO(RPG) are worst graphically looking kind of AAA games.  It always was like that and it generally have to be like that.

PS. Best looking games generally would be - Modded Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Crysis 3,  Modded Crysis 1&2, Watch Dogs,  Modded GTA4, Modded Dark Souls 1&2,  Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light, Battlefield 4 looks alright too.     There are many upcoming graphical feasts like The Witcher 3 and many others.

Generally MMO are leagues below what (especially modded) non-mmo games can offer.  Really LEAGUES behind. 

Only MMORPG that seems really good graphically (techically wise) is Black Desert, but that's still in beta.

Maybe TSW at a push but as Drul says, MMO's on the whole tend to weaken their graphics offerings in order to allow the huge cardinality of textures and the IO required to load them.

While you might find bank storage upgrades and unlocking more inventory bags very useful, it's up to you to either pay for gems (the store currency) with real money or convert ingame gold to gems. I must admit that gold>gems conversion rates are a bit high and you'll need to grind some to get enough gold. But it can be done with a lil effort (and some lvl80 chars), so you really only pay once, to buy the game.

PS: The other store things really are fluff, like armour skins, minis etc

Maybe TSW at a push but as Drul says, MMO's on the whole tend to weaken their graphics offerings in order to allow the huge cardinality of textures and the IO required to load them.

TSW is a very good choice for testing the limits of your graphics card, the highest graphics setting actually can't be used unless you have over 1.5gb of vram, if you try to set it to the highest setting without that requirement it tells you that you can't.