LOTROCommunity

So, apparently it's a thing now to call in anonymous tips to the police as a prank, with the goal being the police sending a SWAT team to someone's house.

WTF is wrong with people?

Anyway, here's a (apparently well-known) Counterstrike streamer being "swatted".

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/27/swat-team-detains-popular-gamer-who-was-live-streaming-counter-strike/

That's insane.  What is more insane is that the SWAT team, even though they saw that there was a person in a chair playing an FPS, decided that he was a "clear and present danger" of some sort. And that was based on some sort of anonymous tip?  I mean, if someone can be assaulted by a SWAT team for doing something perfectly normal in the confines of a place you are allowed to be, it's not just gamers at risk.

Well people have been calling "hey there is a bomb in your hospital (or sometimes school/goverment office, etc)" for ages, at least in my country.  Not surprised at calling Police at someone.

Said all that though :

What is more insane is that the SWAT team, even though they saw that there was a person in a chair playing an FPS, decided that he was a "clear and present danger" of some sort. And that was based on some sort of anonymous tip?  I mean, if someone can be assaulted by a SWAT team for doing something perfectly normal in the confines of a place you are allowed to be, it's not just gamers at risk.

+1

I think not enough people think about that, and instead they focus on less important thing (like that there are idiots that do idiotic things).

The people who get angry at the SWAT team are not thinking clear. People should get pissed at the punk who called the police because his e-peen got stamped on. Sure, the SWAT team should not have been there. Sure, they should not have detained him. But they responded as they should with any call like that, as if the threat reported is real.

The people who get angry at the SWAT team are not thinking clear. People should get pissed at the punk who called the police because his e-peen got stamped on. Sure, the SWAT team should not have been there. Sure, they should not have detained him. But they responded as they should with any call like that, as if the threat reported is real.

But what threat did they see?

You have to watch this video. The game footage at the same time is hilarious. Watch at least until 3:46.

While the police are checking out the streamer, his team mates are running around on screen with guns, knives and bombs. Too funny.

But what threat did they see?

They have to be careful and make sure there is no threat. Honestly, this doesn't happen much, so I am not worried about my rights. He was detained for a few minutes (made to sit in that chair) and then he was released, AFAIK. Not a big deal - being made to sit in a chair for a few minutes. I think he will survive being made to go down on the floor.

If he were arrested, then that would be a lot worse.

There are other things the police do that I worry about more in the US. I would be much more worried if I were stopped suddenly and questioned by police on the street. That could escalate more easily. Overall, though, in my personal life and for the people I know, I have no complaints about the police.

EDIT:

1. The call said someone was shooting or had already shot someone at that location.

2. The gamer knew exactly what was happening - that he was being "swatted" as other people he knew had been.

They have to be careful and make sure there is no threat. Honestly, this doesn't happen much, so I am not worried about my rights. He was detained for a few minutes (made to sit in that chair) and then he was released, AFAIK. Not a big deal - being made to sit in a chair for a few minutes. I think he will survive being made to go down on the floor.

If he were arrested, then that would be a lot worse.

There are other things the police do that I worry about more in the US. I would be much more worried if I were stopped suddenly and questioned by police on the street. That could escalate more easily. Overall, though, in my personal life and for the people I know, I have no complaints about the police.

EDIT:

1. The call said someone was shooting or had already shot someone at that location.

2. The gamer knew exactly what was happening - that he was being "swatted" as other people he knew had been.

I don't buy it.  Again, this was just a guy in front of his computer, with no weapons of any sort on the desk or in his hand.  Nevertheless, they manhandled him, bound him, put him prone on the floor, shouted profanities at him, and treated him as though he was perpetrating a crime.  These law enforcement agents are following a revised rulebook that presumes that people are guilty before coming before a judge and jury.  As far back as ten years ago, law enforcement, by-and-large, would have been able to perceive the non-threat and handle the situation considerably better.

If I were him, I would use the video and a lawyer and seek reparations, so that those agents never did that to me again.

He probably can. The thing is, when a SWAT team is called out because of a shooting, they act as they always do, take down the threat. This guy was reported to have shot a few people. It doesn't matter if he's now calmly sitting on his chair gaming, he might be a psychopath. These guys are trained to act this way.

The only thing I would really object to would be the fact that they went rummaging through his phone. No way they can do that without a warrant. Then again, I wouldn't like them to raid my home like this, since I have an L96, M4 and USP airsoft replica on the top shelf. That would raise some questions :P

People should get really angry at the lowlife who called police. Police should get angry at that punk. They need to find him and fine/sue him for the full cost of sending out all that police, any damages done to any property in the building and damages for the gamer and any others involved. And then some.

• Upvote 1

There's been an urban myth doing the rounds in the UK for years now that when confronted with the possibility that one's property is being burgled to call the police and state that the burlgar(s) has a firearm - fastest police response one could want!!!

Edit, though back when I was a kid the fun then was to call a few minicab firms from a phonebox and send them all to a house 5 mins after each other. Was great fun to watch the recipient getting more and more irate :)

If it was me risking my life dealing with violent criminals, I wouldn't be taking any chances with just what I could 'see'.  Sucks that it happened to this guy, but I'm with MueR on this one.

And if you turned up and found this weedy kid playing a damn computer game, being totally compliant with you and obviously not a threat in the slightest, would you think you were risking your life or dealing with a violent criminal? Police like to go overboard, it seems SWAT is no different.

• Upvote 1

I still think if something is wrong, if a call can make a bunch of guys with guns enter your house, throw you on the ground (or worse) and propably damage your property or possibly damage you. Not to mention scare the shit out of you, treat you like a criminal and throw profanities at you + treat your family, partner, kids, parents, etc  same.

If you think that is justfied ask all those people who got their health damaged because of SWAT teams entering their house on false claims or because they mistaken a guy or mistaken an adress. 

PS. If I would be a SWAT team member - then of course I would be pro-current situation (in Poland it is similar to US when it comes to SWAT it seems), but I am NOT a SWAT team member and I am surprised that people that are not SWAT members are caring for SWAT members instead of caring for themself.

PS2. An idiot who called Police/SWAT with false claims of murder, obviously should be prosecuted both with criminal and material responsibility, but that's a no-brainer. No need to discuss this really.

• Upvote 1

And if you turned up and found this weedy kid playing a damn computer game, being totally compliant with you and obviously not a threat in the slightest, would you think you were risking your life or dealing with a violent criminal? Police like to go overboard, it seems SWAT is no different.

This is true, especially in the US. Your police forces have been acting like bloody 5 year-olds ever since they got their hands on those new military toys. They're a bunch of idiots, walking around in full multicam, tac-vests and helmets, with armoured carriers to back them up. We've seen what a bunch of incapable twats they are in Ferguson. They're acting as if they're soldiers in down-town Fallujah, but lack any training in handling those weapons. For example, they are walking around in packs pointing their assault rifles at civilians. You DO NOT point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot within 2 seconds. They are not capable of handling those toys, they should be taken away. Leave soldiering to soldiers and defuse the situation. By walking around as a wanna-be marine, you're only going to intimidate and frighten.

On the other hand, your country is irreparably damaged because of the powerful gun lobby. So many people own firearms that they can assume that just about every call is legit. Heck, you have how many shootings a year? If a guy can just walk down to walmart and buy himself an AR15, what the hell is wrong with your country?

Maybe the SWAT team was just excited that it got to do something other than a minor drug bust or serve a search warrant.

Report: SWAT Teams Armed With Military Equipment Spend Most of Their Time Waging the Drug War

Of the deployments examined by the ACLU, 62 percent were for drug searches, while nearly 80 percent involved search warrants. In contrast, only 7 percent of deployments responded to hostage, barricade or active shooters, the types of emergency situations for which SWAT teams were originally created. At least 36 percent of drug search deployments, and as many as 65 percent, turned up no evidence of contraband.

On the upside, they didn't kill any children or dogs this time.

Seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones was shot to death by a SWAT officer during a midnight raid in Detroit, moments after a flashbang grenade lit her blanket on fire. The mayor of a small Maryland town and his spouse were held at gunpoint for hours on unfounded drug allegations, during which time officers shot and killed their two dogs. A SWAT officer’s flashbang landed in a baby’s crib, blowing a hole in the 19-month-old’s face and chest.

This all ties to the militarization of the police. It use to be when SWAT was called in it was clear threat designated by real police, not some jackass making a prank call. The funny thing is when they fine one of these jackasses he'll probably be treated the same way and have SWAT breaking down his door.

This all ties to the militarization of the police. It use to be when SWAT was called in it was clear threat designated by real police, not some jackass making a prank call. The funny thing is when they fine one of these jackasses he'll probably be treated the same way and have SWAT breaking down his door.

That's the thing. It was a really rookie move for these SWAT. They're supposed to be called in when it was a clear threat. Yet these guys went rushing through an entire building without even knowing who or what was really in there waiting for them.

• Upvote 1

That's the thing. It was a really rookie move for these SWAT. They're supposed to be called in when it was a clear threat. Yet these guys went rushing through an entire building without even knowing who or what was really in there waiting for them.

This, the correct operational procedure for a SWAT team is usually to respond to a clearly defined incident that has been confirmed by the normal police, they should not be responding in this fashion, something smells funny about this whole thing to me.

This is why this isn't acceptable in any way. And this. But then of course there is this, as well. In fact, this sort of thing happens all the time, and each and every time it is just as unacceptable.

I'm not an anti-police zealot, far from it, in fact. I work every day with former police officers, and I know the shit they have had to deal with. It is not easy being a cop, and just like any other person, sometimes they will make mistakes. But at the same time, in a society that purports to be free, we cannot stand by while civil rights and human dignity are trampled upon by officers either overstepping their bounds, not doing their due diligence in investigations prior to a raid, or simply fucking up. We as a people should expect more from those we task with keeping us safe.

• Upvote 3

We as a people should expect more from those we task with keeping us safe.

You've hit the nail on the head. They aren't here to keep us safe. They are here to punish those who commit crimes and to keep people 'in line'. Submissive, even.

And more often than not, they go full cowboy on the situation and make mistakes. Shoot first and ask questions later. They don't care for the pleading of the people they're wrestling with. They don't care when they are in the wrong and their victim is helpless to stop them. All most of them really care about is dishing out justice and wielding power over people, be that assaulting members of the public and arresting them (read, kidnapping them) or attacking potential 'threats'.

So how did the prank caller know this gamer's name/address? I assume it was another gamer who had a vendetta against this dude. Life lesson about privacy for this guy if nothing else.

I don't think it was his house. It's weird but there's a lot of these streamers and YouTubers who actually have businesses out of that shit. I honestly don't get it myself, but they can literally hire out buildings to keep doing that nonsense as a career. So I would assume he's one of those people.

This is true, especially in the US. Your police forces have been acting like bloody 5 year-olds ever since they got their hands on those new military toys. They're a bunch of idiots, walking around in full multicam, tac-vests and helmets, with armoured carriers to back them up. We've seen what a bunch of incapable twats they are in Ferguson. They're acting as if they're soldiers in down-town Fallujah, but lack any training in handling those weapons. For example, they are walking around in packs pointing their assault rifles at civilians. You DO NOT point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot within 2 seconds. They are not capable of handling those toys, they should be taken away. Leave soldiering to soldiers and defuse the situation. By walking around as a wanna-be marine, you're only going to intimidate and frighten.

On the other hand, your country is irreparably damaged because of the powerful gun lobby. So many people own firearms that they can assume that just about every call is legit. Heck, you have how many shootings a year? If a guy can just walk down to walmart and buy himself an AR15, what the hell is wrong with your country?

Fair question.

Agree 100%  Guns are about money and have very little to do with any constitutional right that may or may not be misinterpreted for a corporation/organization's greedy purposes.  The sad reality is that I felt safer living in other countries than I did in my country of birth.

On the other hand, your country is irreparably damaged because of the powerful gun lobby. So many people own firearms that they can assume that just about every call is legit. Heck, you have how many shootings a year? 

Yes, it's messed up. So many pointless deaths in the US because of so many guns here.

If a guy can just walk down to walmart and buy himself an AR15, what the hell is wrong with your country?

What is wrong:

1) a lot of stupid people in the US

2) laws are made by corporate power and the wealthy, instead of by a government actually trying to figure out what would be best for the people.

It's all about money, companies, the wealthy, and power in the US. And, it's about a public that basically believes the lies fed to them about their government. A big majority of Americans have no clue what is going in their government, or who the government really serves.