LOTROCommunity

Great news for RPers

Superswim

But in reality they will probably do very little. Only the pitch and other sound tweaks, and never get to new instruments. So very little effort spent on this anyway.

Question: Have you ever used the music system? Because this will allow bands to sound much better as a group, because each instrument will tune with the band as a whole instead of itself. Sounds MUCH better that way.

Also with the possible stuff, they have to be reasonably confident to have at least one of them in U15 to put it up there.

There are things that were a greater priority that needed updating.  More LMB pandering is all I see from this.

I know other things need updating, but the RP community also needs some love atm w/o the housing.

And I am pretty sure the people who are working on music are different than those that would work on instances.

That IS cool they are doing this.  I'm just afraid it is too little too late, as with so much else.  They lost their way under Paiz, and the recent efforts are the water bucket brigade trying to bail out the Titanic.  I miss the days of riding through Bree and stopping unplanned to listen to a group play music.

Also with the possible stuff, they have to be reasonably confident to have at least one of them in U15 to put it up there.

Not at all. History shows Turbine often saying we might do this and never doing it. The odds are very much against them actually following through (housing, LI revamp part 2, PvMP map, more with hobbies, etc.).

I am glad they can do something to the music, and some people are happy, but let's see if they actually add instruments. The way he said it makes me very much doubt they have decided to do this. "NO PROMISES" - so not even scheduled or planned yet.

There are things that were a greater priority that needed updating.  More LMB pandering is all I see from this.

I consider LMB as the Music Mafia of Landroval, so it makes sense they'd cater to them :P

I've played a bit with the music system cause it reminds me of playing the ocarina in Ocarina of Time. Fun little distraction, imo

I know other things need updating, but the RP community also needs some love atm w/o the housing.

If they were actual role-players, they wouldn't need extra tools to role-play.  That is the whole point of role-playing:  you pretend to be doing something that isn't based in your personal status quo.

Question: Have you ever used the music system? Because this will allow bands to sound much better as a group, because each instrument will tune with the band as a whole instead of itself. Sounds MUCH better that way.

Question: how many bands there are to validate time beeing wasted to update a system that is good enough?

Question: is this really a top priority for the devs?

PS: i used to use music system extensively and always found it good enough.

In the end there will be a tweak or two and as usual it is presented as a some big, huge improvement making devs look like they do something meaningfull.

Will we get a Les Paul and a Marshall stack?

With volume knobs going up to 11, because that's louder! :D

And I am pretty sure the people who are working on music are different than those that would work on instances.

If this had been delivered back in 2010 / 2011 then I'd agree but as it stands now the game's lost too many people for this to have any real positive impact - only benefiting those who are already heavily invested in the music system rather than encouraging new people to give it a try.

Still, nice to see LMB's lobbying has paid off for them. 

• Upvote 1

I think it's a logical update, although I won't benefit at all from it. I think the majority of lotro-players are roleplayers, tolkien-addicts and casual players. This is something that will improve a part of the scenery/atmosphere and it probably won't be dev-intensive.

If they were actual role-players, they wouldn't need extra tools to role-play.  That is the whole point of role-playing:  you pretend to be doing something that isn't based in your personal status quo.

Well then you could argue they don't need to play the LOTRO client at all and should just RP in a chat room or something.

From my own experience over the years of both using the music system and helping others with it, I would say that the single biggest issue is the UI, or the lack of it. Not everyone is happy with 3rd party plugins (though the Songbook plugin is excellent). Having a new UI that increases accessibility would have been a better option.

From my own experience over the years of both using the music system and helping others with it, I would say that the single biggest issue is the UI, or the lack of it. Not everyone is happy with 3rd party plugins (though the Songbook plugin is excellent). Having a new UI that increases accessibility would have been a better option.

No new UI is needed. Even a song book plug in is not needed.

Just download (or write them yourself) the abc files and simply /play them. Syncing with other group members is also very easy.

Well...ok a small UI addition would be welcome but it's not the end of the world without it.

I think we need a new setting to play all these wonderful instruments in, like a raid instance or something?

We all benefit from these amazing changes!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?555060-The-Music-System-updates-for-U15&p=7227364#post7227364 

I don't know if more than 10% use it, but more than 10% actually benefit from it.

If they were actual role-players, they wouldn't need extra tools to role-play. That is the whole point of role-playing: you pretend to be doing something that isn't based in your personal status quo.

It's not like any of them ACTUALLY are playing the lute. They click go, and listen. It is literally roleplaying as a musician.

I don't know if more than 10% use it, but more than 10% actually benefit from it.

And more than 10% of players don't benefit from new instances and raids?

I'm considering setting up an account over there finally and counter all this stupid bullshit.

Now that Sapience is gone and people can finally express themselves...

Guess he was replying to my post

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?555060-The-Music-System-updates-for-U15&p=7227428#post7227428

Good news, he will consider anything if it is good for the game and within budget.

Housing, raids.... No, it would seem not from past comments, but at least the resources do stretch to new instruments!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?555060-The-Music-System-updates-for-U15&goto=newpost

Apparently the music system is getting a revamp so that bands sound better, and there are stretch goals for 2 new instrumemts and stages in the world.

Even if there are no stretch goals (which I doubt), it would still be a great update.

The main thing I took from PM's post is that s/he fails at Led Zeppelin

Well at least the band can play on more accurately and with a bigger assortment as the ship goes down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRDg9WS7fk

It really doesn't matter what they update at this point.  The important things that would bring back players will continued to be ignored, simply because it cost too much.