LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Bango

#gamergate

The following link to mmochampion covers a fascinating topic on the subject of corruption in video game journalism. Well worth a read.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1577712-Gamegate-Corruption-in-Video-Game-Journalism

(Apologies if this has been covered before - did have a quick look back through general banter but couldn't see anything)

I remember the flap concerning game "journalism" concerning LOTRO from Massively while Celestrata (who formerly contributed to Massively) was doing Community work for LOTRO.  While this doesn't quite reach the "Zoe-level" of involvement (at least, I hope it doesn't), the reality of bias, payoffs and reporting on the basis of a prior connection is very real in game journalism.

I remember the flap concerning game "journalism" concerning LOTRO from Massively while Celestrata (who formerly contributed to Massively) was doing Community work for LOTRO.

I either missed that or didn't care, but what's the story about this?

I either missed that or didn't care, but what's the story about this?

"Why tripe like HD makes 'expansion of the year' when we all know there's so much better out there"

Except this specific case, the dev was female and apparently banged her way to good reviews instead of paying for them.  The internet was alerted of said misconduct.

The internet being the internet, "sex for reviews" was too much for the lowest of the trolls to resist, so anyone else thinking it was a sleazy move got labelled and grouped with the bigger trolls.  

And the internet being the internet, regardless of whether you were trolling or simply reaffirming your doubts on the gaming press's integrity, since the dev in question was female, the "other side" is screaming "misoginy".

I remember the flap concerning game "journalism" concerning LOTRO from Massively while Celestrata (who formerly contributed to Massively) was doing Community work for LOTRO.  While this doesn't quite reach the "Zoe-level" of involvement (at least, I hope it doesn't),

I hope so too.......... *cringe*

Yeah it's an interesting story.

The first video is quite awful on that link. Why awful? 1) painful to listen to because the guy is annoying and whining how he hates this and that.  2) he is reporting some facts but then heavily adds in his own agenda.

It would be nice to see a more neutral explanation of what happened, without this guys whining about how he is upset.

IMO this whole story is going to be a mess and people are going to use it to "prove" there is no sexism in the gaming industry - like the guy in the video seems to want to do. One woman, one story, and this proves something about a whole industry? I don't think so.

From what I've read of it, most of this only came to light because an ex-boyfriend of hers posted an angry rant online about her and her actions.

I'm not informed enough about the whole thing to have much of a real opinion, but one article I did read did happen to mention that, were the gender roles reversed (male dev sleeping with female reporters, ex-girlfriend posting angry rant online), that the reaction would be much different.  Namely, that the angry rant would probably be dismissed largely as just the rantings of some crazy bitch and the male dev would get a bunch of virtual high fives for getting laid so much.

Assuming the allegations are true, I don't think I even care.  Pay for good reviews with cash, pay for good reviews with pussy (or dick) - it's all the same to me.  Gaming journalism is corrupt and useless, which doesn't make it all that much different from "real" journalism.

From what I've read of it, most of this only came to light because an ex-boyfriend of hers posted an angry rant online about her and her actions.

I'm not informed enough about the whole thing to have much of a real opinion, but one article I did read did happen to mention that, were the gender roles reversed (male dev sleeping with female reporters, ex-girlfriend posting angry rant online), that the reaction would be much different.  Namely, that the angry rant would probably be dismissed largely as just the rantings of some crazy bitch and the male dev would get a bunch of virtual high fives for getting laid so much.

Assuming the allegations are true, I don't think I even care.  Pay for good reviews with cash, pay for good reviews with pussy (or dick) - it's all the same to me.  Gaming journalism is corrupt and useless, which doesn't make it all that much different from "real" journalism.

Agreed.  His overall point in regards to journalism may have been spot on, but when he started going on about how X probably fucked Y and Z probably fucked A...I lost interest.

I've been watching this for a while. Started off with just the realisation that an indie 'dev' (made a terrible 'game' that was just a text adventure but entirely about depression) had managed to shag her way to getting positive reviews for the tripe she labelled a 'game', then had it all hushed up because the websites that gave her these reviews were heavily corrupted by uber-liberals.

Then it just spiralled out of control from there. Turns out the bunch of nobodies who make up the majority of 'gaming press' websites are just out to control information and make money from gullible donators.

Imagine this kind of stories when things like gun sales and wars are being ''lobbied'', let lone whatever widely unknown game 'dev'...

So major stories on gamersgate are now saying that maybe it wasn't true about Zoe Quinn

(like this one: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/09/gamergate_explodes_gaming_journalists_declare_the_gamers_are_over_but_they.html)

So anyone have a sense if the boyfriend was making stuff up? That video makes it seem certain she slept with all those guys, but this article says none of it is proven. Anyone have a sense if it was true or not?

So major stories on gamersgate are now saying that maybe it wasn't true about Zoe Quinn

(like this one: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/09/gamergate_explodes_gaming_journalists_declare_the_gamers_are_over_but_they.html)

So anyone have a sense if the boyfriend was making stuff up? That video makes it seem certain she slept with all those guys, but this article says none of it is proven. Anyone have a sense if it was true or not?

Don't know.  Wasn't there.  This fellow seems to present several interesting ideas concerning the situation, though.  (Explicit language warning.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo

So long story short, Zoe may or may not have fucked a few journalists... 

What we do know is that if gaming companies in general keep finding it cheaper to buy reviews rather than earning them, the ones getting fucked will keep being the gamers.

#GameOverGate

https://storify.com/strictmachine/gameovergate

Apparently the woman at the center of the story, Zoe, has been recording the IRC channels of many of the people behind the whole thing.  As far as I can tell, the whole thing appears to have been some sort of concerted effort/conspiracy to do... something.  I'm not sure what.

#GameOverGate

https://storify.com/strictmachine/gameovergate

Apparently the woman at the center of the story, Zoe, has been recording the IRC channels of many of the people behind the whole thing.  As far as I can tell, the whole thing appears to have been some sort of concerted effort/conspiracy to do... something.  I'm not sure what.

Wow. That's 4Chan for you, though.

We recorded a round-table discussion on the whole #GamerGate debacle and how it has become this umbrella term for all sorts of spurious grievances and side issues. As ever, anything relevant or worthy of merit seems to be trampled under foot by the bandwagon jumpers. Some good writers and commentators has left the scene as a result, which I find especially sad and troubling.

Podcast here for those who are interested.

Guests on the show are of the the non-crazy variety :)

We recorded a round-table discussion on the whole #GamerGate debacle and how it has become this umbrella term for all sorts of spurious grievances and side issues. As ever, anything relevant or worthy of merit seems to be trampled under foot by the bandwagon jumpers. Some good writers and commentators has left the scene as a result, which I find especially sad and troubling.

Sounds like a good topic, Roger.  I'll be sure to give it a listen.

We recorded a round-table discussion ...

Thanks. I have been listening to some old shows on your site. Enjoying them a lot.

But ... are you sure about that last part?

I started listening to the podcast, but work pulled me away and I haven't had a chance to go back.

I just want to say that you sound incredibly similar to that Jimquisition guy.  That is just an observation, and is intended as neither compliment nor insult.

Content-wise, I did like what I heard in the first 10 minutes or so.

There's been a bigger revelation to me from this whole thing: why aren't games 'journalists' cool?! Seriously, I can't remember the last time I saw someone who worked (or at least drenched themselves) in the games industry that was, for lack of a better term, 'alpha'. You get cool actors, cool athletes, even cool comedians. But when it comes to games, it's like the slimmest pickings (outside of politics, I suppose).

No wonder people outside of gaming view it as an inferior hobby...

Cracked.com's wrap-up of gamergate:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-ways-gamergate-debate-has-made-world-worse/

Fair warning, if you're anti-Zoe Quinn and pro-gamergate, this article is not for you (actually, it is for you, you're just not going to accept it).

TERMINOLOGY: I'll be using the term "gater," not "gamer," because these assholes claiming to represent gamers is like a cannibal claiming to represent eaters. They're the only ones who think you have to tear into other people to do it properly, instead of it being something pretty much everybody does now without it defining our lives.

I think women are just as capable of men, in all areas, good and bad. And I think most travelers of this forum know that write-ups are useless anymore for gauging opinion, since money is the currency that pays for them.

• Upvote 1