LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Bango

#gamergate

That registers as an evil witch/mother trope, which is still about male fantasy, so it's can't support female main characters in games, imo.

Not really... right? You're just being satirical? Cossie seemed more like he was pointing out quite a strong lack of female villains in games, leading to the impression that it's men (specifically, white men) who are only evil enough to be a villain. Not as an example of main female characters.

Edit: for my own sake, I have to assume you're just joking. No one really says 'male fantasy'.

Sweden is the #3 happiest country in the world right now, but that ranking may plummet after Doro attacks.

a91.png

Not really... right? You're just being satirical? Cossie seemed more like he was pointing out quite a strong lack of female villains in games, leading to the impression that it's men (specifically, white men) who are only evil enough to be a villain. Not as an example of main female characters.

Edit: for my own sake, I have to assume you're just joking. No one really says 'male fantasy'.

That was my point exactly.

It is sexist they way the gaming companies potray men as evil and they need to bring equality to games

With regards to the lack, or perceived lack, of female main characters in games, how often is the main bad guy actually female.

Yeah.  Female main character is common - I don't really understand complaining about that - big amount of games with females as main character,  female as main baddie is quite rare though.

She's my Champions Online beta character.  Hell Fox.  My favorite Champions character was Calamity Cricket, but she didn't photograph well. :O

Sweden reported today to be considering adding sexist gaming labels to games.  Sweden is the #3 happiest country in the world right now, but that ranking may plummet after Doro attacks.

http://www.themarysue.com/sweden-gaming-labels/

Sweden don't give 2 shits about Doro's opinion, because Sweden is the most politically correct country on the planet(unless you're jewish, then attacking you is fair game, especially if you live in Malmo).

I believe the preferred term nowadays is 'Swedistan'.

You've been listening to too much Pat Condell.

It is sexist they way the gaming companies potray men as evil and they need to bring equality to games

Too right it is.

Oh, ok!  I'd lost the tone of the thread.  Thanks for clarifying.

incarceration-by-sex.jpg

What do they say?  Archetypes?  Apparently I need to work on my Sarkeesianese.  Cheers, Doro.

What do they say?  Archetypes?  Apparently I need to work on my Sarkeesianese.  Cheers, Doro.

Well, sane people tend to not believe in imaginary bollocks like games and characters being 'male fantasies'.

incarceration-by-sex.jpg

That is also an effect on how western crime systems are made - which types of crime tend to get prision sentences vs which tend to get short sentences or no prision sentences at all.    I.e. stealing physical objects vs white collar crimes.

Prision sentence usage is very heavily skewed toward crimes made by economically worse situated.  (I am intentionally leaving murders and often extremly violent crimes aside as it is obvious that prision punishment follows so waste of time of discussing it).

incarceration-by-sex.jpg

Ah, I get it! If bad figures are skewed towards men, it's because men are evil. But if figures are skewed towards women, it's because of the patriarchy and misogynists!

Ah, I get it! If bad figures are skewed towards men, it's because men are evil. But if figures are skewed towards women, it's because of the patriarchy and misogynists!

Now you're getting it!

Correct.  Women don't have ridiculously high rates of rape and sexual assault in the U.S. because they rape themselves.  And I suspect the relative domestic violence parity is probably due to a higher percentage of men making reports because they are less afraid of the consequences.

I think we need diversity in our prison system.

I am all for quotas.  We need to get female population up or the male population down or a combination of both until we reach equality.  It is very clear from those numbers that the whole justice system needs to be reformed.  

If we need more laws focused on female crime go for it.

• Upvote 1

Correct.  Women don't have ridiculously high rates of rape and sexual assault in the U.S. because they rape themselves.  And I suspect the relative domestic violence parity is probably due to a higher percentage of men making reports because they are less afraid of the consequences.

Oh, of course. Definitely not because less men would report their own rape. Definitely not because way more men are raped than women if you include prison statistics. Definitely not because many rapes on women reported are actually drunk sex regretted the next day. Definitely not because there have been studies which outright exclude rape on men. Definitely not because female on male rape isn't consider as rape for statistical purposes. Definitely not because there has been pretty much no research into female on female rape.

These rapists, that make up less than 1% of all males in the US, are certainly a valid argument to how evil men are in general. And if you're trying to push a deluded agenda, it's always good to lump all statistics together instead of separating them out by race, social class and even based on criminal records (after all, half or rapists released from prison are arrested again for another crime). Wouldn't want people to know that 34% of all rapes on women are against native Americans, despite being only 1% of the population. Or that 52% of perpetrators against women are white with 17.7% of female rape victims being white, despite being 72% of the population. Or that 30% of all rapes are made by black rapists and 18% of victims are black, despite being only 13% of the population.

And we certainly wouldn't want people to think that domestic abuse against men is a serious issue. Be much better to make it seem like men are less afraid of their abusers than women, which is why so many are reported. After all, if it happens to a woman it's because she's a victim of the patriarchy. But if it happens to men, it's best to ignore it or pretend it's not as bad. What was that word Nosam kept bleating? Oh yeah, 'minimising'. Let's just brush that off, yeah? Better instead to try to post useless infographics of how all men are so evil because 1.5% of all men are criminals.

Pull your head out of your ass, Silver. Feminazi bullshit won't work here.

FYI: Not even going to read this.  I've been drugged (not sure if I was raped since I lost all memories), and also assaulted twice.  My friends have been raped, including one who actually killed the guy after she got his gun.  Don't need to be further traumatized by Doro.

• Upvote 2

FYI: Not even going to read this.  I've been drugged (not sure if I was raped since I lost all memories), and also assaulted twice.  My friends have been raped, including one who actually killed the guy after she got his gun.  Don't need to be further traumatized by Doro.

First off sorry to hear this.

But, If this is traumatizing to you why did you stare us in this direction?  If it was subconscious I am sorry.  May be best to ignore page 21 and 22 and join us back on page 23 when it flows into something else.

• Upvote 2

And there you go playing the victim. The minute anyone refutes your bullshit, you curl up and start pointing fingers. You do not get a free pass to spout nonsense just because things have happened to you. They aren't even relevant to this discussion, you're just using it as a shield (and that, to be honest, is absolutely appalling).

I'm still trying to work out what someone having experienced rape (which is a horrible thing and I really do feel sorry for anyone who has gone through it and respect anyone who has pulled through the other side and gotten through it)has to do with the equality argument, it doesn't prove anything and doesn't really relate to the subject except very loosely.

• Upvote 2

And there you go playing the victim. The minute anyone refutes your bullshit, you curl up and start pointing fingers. You do not get a free pass to spout nonsense just because things have happened to you. They aren't even relevant to this discussion, you're just using it as a shield (and that, to be honest, is absolutely appalling).

As eloquently written as ever. I'm sure you don't mean to say that what happened to her has no meaning or value. Rape is a problem in any country, and it is a horrible act. Having said that, I must agree with what Doro is attempting to say; I'm very sorry this happened to you and your friends, but it is a little off-topic.

Now, can we get back to playing nice everyone? Please?

... Doro is attempting to say; I'm very sorry this happened to you and your friends, but it is a little off-topic.

And it's entirely designed to deflect from the point (seriously, using something as bad as rape to dodge responsibility for her posts). Instead of being disproved on a stupid point of all men being evil, she can now play the victim and claim it's 'traumatising' to dare to disagree with her.

It's a huge trauma, which will color anyone's perception on every topic. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you. Please keep in mind that there are good men as well as terrible ones.

It's a huge trauma, which will color anyone's perception on every topic. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you. Please keep in mind that there are good men as well as terrible ones.

Indeed. (I am also saddened to hear about what happened to Silver and those others she told us about)

And in an effort to be equal, so as to balance this thread so that it isn't sexist towards men, there are good women as well as terrible ones.

Do you actually talk like this to people in real life? I have a feeling not. Everything is so hyper-extreme. Not everything someone says that you disagree with is "bullshit".

• Upvote 1