LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Bango

#gamergate

Dammit, 'Murica... 

That's NOT what Japan had in mind..... then again..... still...

Dammit, 'Murica

Regarding Mary Kay Latourneau, her victim defended her and has always insisted he was in love with her, despite psychologists telling him he was being manipulated and that he was too immature to understand the concept of love. They ended up having two kids together and were married as soon as she was released from prison. The fact he stood by her even in the face of negative publicity seems to support his feelings for her.

I agree with you, just making a general remark. Adversity and a lot of pressure on couples can play funny tricks with their feelings and their commitment. Having said that, even if that was part of the equation, that wouldn't make it less real. A successful relationship is a successful relationship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

This video is getting a lot of traction in the news right now. Now most of it is showing men being idiots, but there's a few that are just saying good evening. How else do people meet without first saying hello? So are we all suppose to just ignore everyone now?

This video is getting a lot of traction in the news right now. Now most of it is showing men being idiots, but there's a few that are just saying good evening. How else do people meet without first saying hello? So are we all suppose to just ignore everyone now?

Some are pointing out something interesting as well, but pointing it out could land people with being called racists.

I might be the only one here, but when I see a male teacher and a female student I think 'yes, terrible, he's abused his position to have sex with minors'. But if it's the other way around I can't help but think 'niiice... *high five*'. That kid who had a threesome with his teachers is just legendary.

You aren't the only one, it's all part of the double standard thing.

Some are pointing out something interesting as well, but pointing it out could land people with being called racists.

That too. It is Manhattan, the least scummy of all New York's buroughs, but that doesn't mean Manhattan doesn't have it's share of scummy areas. Times Square and 42nd St. comes to mind, I didn't notice her walking down Wall St.

I showed the video to a female friend, who told me that she was used to this kind of behaviour and the only really creepy guys are those following her. I think I never did any of the things in the video. My first reaction to the video was that I probably wouldn't have noticed this woman at all.

I noticed that poor uneducated guys are the only ones sitting on their arse in the street in broad daylight. I guess that wasn't your remark Doro...

• Upvote 1

Yes there are some blatant ass-hats in that video, but a majority of them are just saying hello, the ones that are following her seem to be doing so because she's not responding to them, a little smile and an acknowledgment would have probably sent them away. I agree that street harassment can be bad in some cases but this is blatantly filmed and edited to enhance those incidents, they say it was a 10hr walk and in 10 hours 100 people harassed her, looking at this video which is a selection of the worst offenders in which most of them are merely saying hello and letting her walk on it seems to me the whole thing was an exercise to put the situation in a worse light than it is. I'm not saying women don't get harassed in the street, they do, I've seen it, I'm just saying this video has an agenda to make things seem worse than they are.

So are we all suppose to just ignore everyone now?

Would you ever start talking to men who are passing by in the way in which those men are engaging in 'conversation' with the stacked woman with the pretty face and the nice behind who is passing by are? Do you think that someone moving past you at a brisk pace is likely to be interested in meeting people at that time?

Do you ever feel the need to compliment men who pass you on their appearance? Do you feel that the people who you tell how you feel about their looks should care about your assessment of their looks? (Would you appreciate it if someone you didn't know at all told you, out of the blue, what he/she thinks about the way you look?)

• Upvote 1

Would you ever start talking to men who are passing by in the way in which those men are engaging in 'conversation' with the stacked woman with the pretty face and the nice behind who is passing by are? Do you think that someone moving past you at a brisk pace is likely to be interested in meeting people at that time?

Do you ever feel the need to compliment men who pass you on their appearance? Do you feel that the people who you tell how you feel about their looks should care about your assessment of their looks? (Would you appreciate it if someone you didn't know at all told you, out of the blue, what he/she thinks about the way you look?)

it is a ritual matting dance, you are a racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dx2CUMtZ-0

learn to be more tolerant of other cultures.  

How does your culture mate? enlighten us. tell us what you are looking for. How does your kind find and attract a mate in the concrete jungle?  Have you evolved past the physical state and do you send your avatar into the digital realm seeking that special some one via the eharmony guru?  Do you get drunk and pass out on a random couch and wait for the right manly part to caress your cheek?  Are you of the more of the arranged and presanctioned matting through friends and family  do you shun out siders?  How is it done in your parts i'm clueless?  

PS West side story or grease must make your eye balls bleed......

• Upvote 1

Do you ever feel the need to compliment men who pass you on their appearance?

This may sound a little gay, but only just today I passed a guy in the street and said 'that is a powerful beard, my friend'.

... a little smile and an acknowledgment would have probably sent them away.

This has not been my experience of it. I had a brief stint working in a club and I'd often see guys approach girls who were clearly not interested, and they just didn't seem to take no for an answer. If anything, a smile would have made them go into overdrive and think they had a chance.

But, there is another point to make: after 10 hours walking around NYC in tight clothes, she only got 100 or so 'cat calls'. That's 10 an hour. And imagine how many other people she walked past who DIDN'T cat call her at all. The thousands of other humans who walked by without a word.

This may sound a little gay, but only just today I passed a guy in the street and said 'that is a powerful beard, my friend'.

This has not been my experience of it. I had a brief stint working in a club and I'd often see guys approach girls who were clearly not interested, and they just didn't seem to take no for an answer. If anything, a smile would have made them go into overdrive and think they had a chance.

But, there is another point to make: after 10 hours walking around NYC in tight clothes, she only got 100 or so 'cat calls'. That's 10 an hour. And imagine how many other people she walked past who DIDN'T cat call her at all. The thousands of other humans who walked by without a word.

I once got a "That's an Epic Beard" out of a guy in my local Subway store. I didn't think it was gay, I thought it was just the guy pointing out the obvious(that I had an epic beard). Still, I'm a long ways away from Zakk Wylde epicness!

it is a ritual matting dance, you are a racist.

learn to be more tolerant of other cultures.  

How does your culture mate? enlighten us. tell us what you are looking for. How does your kind find and attract a mate in the concrete jungle?  Have you evolved past the physical state and do you send your avatar into the digital realm seeking that special some one via the eharmony guru?  Do you get drunk and pass out on a random couch and wait for the right manly part to caress your cheek?  Are you of the more of the arranged and presanctioned matting through friends and family  do you shun out siders?  How is it done in your parts i'm clueless?  

PS West side story or grease must make your eye balls bleed......

Do people often look at you weirdly when you open your mouth in the real world?

But to what extent do you dress (and maintain your beard) in the way you do because you are thinking of how you will be perceived by others because of the way you dress and behave in public? Would you feel happy if you were judged on your appearance every day?

Personally, I would be very unhappy with myself if I started to weigh my expectations wrt people's likely responses to my appearance more heavily than I do now (never mind standing in front of a mirror for 30 minutes or more daily in order to ensure that people responded favorably to my appearance when they see me). Yet this is what constantly hearing judgments of your appearance is likely to do..

As for your other response: Yes, thousands of people don't demand recognition (or demand that you recognize/validate/express gratitude for their judgments of you) while walking in the street. But that's beside the point, I think, in much the same way as focusing on the skin color and likely occupations of the men in this video would be. Because with variations, these patterns of behavior (and expectations) are relevant in every context.

This is the worst form of sexism. The "white knighting" of women in the name of not being sexist. Think about it, you're defending women because of their sex, it's sexism in all its glory. At least with Doro he mocks everybody, it doesn't matter whether they're male, female, black, white, red, green or shoot rainbows out their arses, he mocks them all.

Ooh, is this like when the act of pointing out racism is called being racist?  I love that one!

But to what extent do you dress (and maintain your beard) in the way you do because you are thinking of how you will be perceived by others because of the way you dress and behave in public?

Zero extent. I don't give two shits what people around me think.

Would you feel happy if you were judged on your appearance every day?

I know I am judged on my appearance every day. Everyone is. I just don't care about it.

Personally, I would be very unhappy with myself if I started to weigh my expectations wrt people's likely responses to my appearance more heavily than I do now (never mind standing in front of a mirror for 30 minutes or more daily in order to ensure that people responded favorably to my appearance when they see me). Yet this is what constantly hearing judgments of your appearance is likely to do.

Then this is an issue of mindset. I get people at work make little comments about how I look. I don't particularly care how scruffy I look or that I don't wear a tie. But they seem to feel it's their duty to say at least something. But do you know what I do every time I go into my bathroom and spot myself in the mirror above the toilet? I wink at myself. Because fuck what people think, I know I'd fuck me... I'd fuck me hard...

And, at the end of the day, what should I care what a bunch of invalids think of me? I'd only really have a problem if someone I looked up to and respected mentioned something, and those people often don't care either.

As for your other response: Yes, thousands of people don't demand recognition (or demand that you recognize/validate/express gratitude for their judgments of you) while walking in the street. But that's beside the point, I think, in much the same way as focusing on the skin color and likely occupations of the men in this video would be. Because with variations, these patterns of behavior (and expectations) are relevant in every context.

Not really besides the point at all. If the majority of cat callers are black or latino, then it says more about the culture of those races than this perceived notion of an all encompassing 'male culture'. And if only a minority of men seen in this video are acting like it, it shows even more that this is not an issue with men in general. The distinction is where they fall down. Not every man is going to cat call, but the way they frame a 'point' often over generalises.

• Upvote 1

Not really besides the point at all. If the majority of cat callers are black or latino, then it says more about the culture of those races than this perceived notion of an all encompassing 'male culture'. And if only a minority of men seen in this video are acting like it, it shows even more that this is not an issue with men in general. The distinction is where they fall down. Not every man is going to cat call, but the way they frame a 'point' often over generalises.

In case you didn't check out the link that cossie provided, apparently the makers of the video edited out nearly every single white guy that they filmed.   The article cossie linked didn't have one of the quotes that I've seen elsewhere from the filmmakers, though - namely, that there was usually a siren or some other inconvenient (or perhaps convenient?) noise happening when a white guy did the catcalling.

The end result, whether or not it was intentional, is that white guys can watch the video and say to themselves, "Look, it's a bunch of black and brown dudes harrassing these women - respectable guys like me don't do that."

• Upvote 1

In case you didn't check out the link that cossie provided, apparently the makers of the video edited out nearly every single white guy that they filmed.   The article cossie linked didn't have one of the quotes that I've seen elsewhere from the filmmakers, though - namely, that there was usually a siren or some other inconvenient (or perhaps convenient?) noise happening when a white guy did the catcalling.

The end result, whether or not it was intentional, is that white guys can watch the video and say to themselves, "Look, it's a bunch of black and brown dudes harrassing these women - respectable guys like me don't do that."

No, I got that. And, as you say, there was some other noise going on to block out nearly every single white guy. I don't buy that for one second.

Do people often look at you weirdly when you open your mouth in the real world?

the real world?  Which neighborhood is that one?   Maybe it depends if it is the blue or red one or the black yellow or white one?   I just get confused is all.  It is hard to know what I have to say to whom instead of just calling it like I see it.

But I do know  your post looked funny to me and I pointed it out?   :+  

And as for your question regarding how you look and dress.  Yes people do care and people spend way to much time and money on it if you ask me.  But I guess I am just being honest once more.  I hate to burst your bubble but if you dress like and share the personal hygiene practices a homeless person you will be treated like one.  If you dress for "success" drive a BMW people will treat you differently.   I have observed this first hand and nothing you say will make me think differently.

try it some time. I think you will find my interpenetration of the world is more correct in western society than yours.

PS>> if you don't want to be cat called don't look beautiful and don't wear tight clothing.  I know it may be to much to ask for but give a little.  

• Upvote 1

What i would like to know is how http://www.ihollaback.org/  plans to end this?

Send in the swat teams?  arrest these men?  Maybe just kill them on the spot?

or is this just another case of making paper $$$ and doing nothing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

This is just straight up trolling by feminists.

10 hours of footage cut down to less than 2 minutes of video and it includes several comments that were nothing more than polite greetings. There was also no distinction made between any of it, which leads to the impression that saying "Hi, have a good day" is on the same level as any of the crass objectifications or even shadowing a woman for several minutes. The video presentation also strongly suggests that she was harassed for the entire 10 hours rather than showing long stretches of time where nothing happened.

Now, in fairness, the behaviour by some of the guys was definitely rude and the two guys that followed her was borderline, but still not harassment.

How many times did she tell the men calling out to leave her alone or for the creepy dudes following her to get lost? Once, twice...never? 

And where is the feminist outrage over the original uncut video of "street harassment" in New York?

• Upvote 1

*stretch*

I may start keeping my seat on public transport and letting doors slam into women's faces.... 

When confronted about my ungentlemanly behaviour, Imma refer that video and blame feminazis.

Did you read ALL of my post?