LOTROCommunity

When and how did you leave Lotro?

My daughter, long ago, developed a seething hatred of Sapience, for all the right reasons.  (Someone was harassing her on the forums, truly, and she finally reported it. Sapience wrote back to her & said she should toughen up or something.  He should be working at a university... I can't remember which regular it was - some old guy, probably the Heydt guy, or one of those too familiar names. It's apparently ok to harass a girl if you're one of Sapience's pets.)   

Ignoring the irony of someone who infracted posts with even the slightest bit of snark directed at him as "trolling - significant" brushing off your daughter as he did, this sort of sweeping under the rug of actual harrassment is the sort of thing that should be publicized.  Of course, whether or not to publicize this information is entirely your daughter's decision.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think either of us knew who we could complain *to.*  He was *it,* as far as I knew.  He was always followed by his gang of admirers, & it seemed to me that they just buried you if you said

I left not one, but two times. Since I have no plans of ever returning, the last time's for good, I guess for sure. And I'm saying this as a LTA holder who's exclusively played LOTRO since 2007.   F

Ok! Thanks for this topic!  I've been holding this stuff back for a LONG time, & it feels inspiring to vent at last!  It will be long - sorry!    I've taken breaks - sometimes long ones (maybe u

First I played from beta till about 2011 where I trolled the shit out of glff after getting pissed at Turbine for trying to charge me 15$ to undelete a character.

Then I acquired an empty lifetime account just to enjoy the game until its dying days. There's not much to enjoy honestly.

My LotRO play time petered out within a month or two of the major class+combat revamp announcement. Tried another game, liked it, and haven't looked back; uninstalled LotRO permanently before Helm's Deep. I wasn't about to wait for the HD NDA lift, because I knew it'd be crap given Turbine's history and overt attitude on the OF (and I didn't want to "taint" my captain by loading HD). Turbine should have learned from Sony about that.

The camel's back was broken when I managed to log in for a couple hours but I spent almost all of my play time in homework, e.g. on LI resets, vault shuffling, spending skill points. Then when I finally got to quest the air was out.

I made a long post here that I could link to.

Played it a bit in beta, but my computer was not up to the task. Tried it again in mid-2009 (with a much better computer) and really enjoyed the "virtual world" (though never was thrilled with the "game" parts, like combat and the ridiculous numbers of abilities).

Canceled both my subs when Turbine revamped the relic system, told us that getting relics back on deconstruction was no longer necessary because relics were so much easier to get, added a scroll of relic removal to the store, then gave me an infraction when I pointed out (quite politely, actually) that the scroll of relic removal was a bit more than just "convenience" for people who had the irreplaceable older relics.

Stopped playing entirely when they implemented the skill tree system because I had no interest in relearning every class from scratch. Thought about trying it again when I heard that Sapience was gone, but decided that the resulting improvement to the community still didn't fix most of the things I disliked about the business model, so I scrapped the idea.

and the ridiculous numbers of abilities).

If you were to open up some Monster Play (haha nobody does this) right now, you'd already have 2 bars full of buffs that are simply +X% to infamy/commendation gains because Turbine has no fucking idea how to make a simpler system.

It's no doubt a huge cause for all the lag, all the fucking buffs/debuffs being calculated. Poor wooden Turbine servers....

Just after Helm's Deep beta fully, prior to that I was mainly creepside as raiding got hammered. Erebor raids kind of hinted on how little time Turbine wanted to spend on raids, 'big battles' just confirmed that the game was heading into a direction which was not much fun for me to play. Publicly posted my thoughts on the forums, said my goodbyes to a great bunch of people who weren't ready to call it quits just quite then and haven't logged on since. Dead is dead now. Haven't yet found an MMORPG I can stick with for longer than short periods, but won't be returning to Lotro.

Started a couple of months before Moria.  Ended up in a pretty strong raiding kinship on Arkenstone.  Played through every raid.  Turbine basically announced that they weren't making new raids after the Riders of Rohan cluster finally came out.  It was the worst set of raids in the game's history so the writing was on the wall.  As soon as the kinship beat Flight we packed it in. 

A few people from the kinship still play casually but the vast majority all effectively quit on that same day.  Haven't logged in since.

I started in 2008, a few months before Moria launched.

I played a lot - too much, frankly - during Moria and through Mirkwood.  I still played a lot during Isengard, but not as much and I stopped bothering to take all my toons to level cap (went from seven 65s to four or five 75s).  Raiding and the kin I was in from OD onward were the two main reasons I continued to play.

Rohan did me in, though.  Not getting an instance cluster at launch, then only getting it piecemeal, then to have the lair raids be varying degrees of buggy despite being delayed for so long - all those contributed to my lessening desire to play LOTRO.  I did have real life things that cut into my play time as well, but even when I was able to work around those and log into LOTRO I found myself not enjoying it nearly as much.  I think the RNG-based loot system was a large part of that.  I had become too used to the "harder content = better rewards" paradigm, and just couldn't bring myself to appreciate a system in which the only thing being rewarded was one's willingness to mindlessly grind in hopes of getting lucky.

I dropped from playing every day to logging in once or twice a week, to barely logging in at all after much of my kin stopped playing/decided to stop bothering with the lair raids.  When I would log in, I'd see that it'd sometimes been weeks since my last login, I'd putter around for a bit, chat with the 1-2 kinmates online (if any) then log again.  Oh, and my five level 75s became two level 85s.

I wasn't in the HD Beta, but I heard enough about it to know that I wasn't going to like it.  I did purchase HD with TP saved from my Lifetime Sub, but didn't even check it out until it had been out for a few months, and when I did I stayed long enough to do about two hours' worth of quests, didn't enjoy myself at all, and logged off for good.  I never even got to the point where I could try a Big Battle.

I have considered checking it out again and maybe at least taking my main through the quests in HD and the new areas just to see them, but since I can't come up with a better reason to do so than "I feel compelled to complete stuff", I haven't.  Also, until I can update the launcher without Akamai netsessions or some other corporate-sponsored malware being forcibly installed on my machine, I'm not going to even have the opportunity to log in.

tl;dr - As instance and raid content faded, so did my interest in LOTRO.  The largely unneeded wholesale class changes combined with the complete abandonment of traditional raid and instance content erased what little interest I had left.

During Helm's Deep Beta.

I went from hard core lotro addict to quitting in the space of an hour.  

Pretty much the same for me and my family.  4 of us had max level characters (some of us 3).  It still shocks me that I went from a a lifelong Tolkien fan, player since early pre-launch beta, and surefire Helm's Deep buyer to quitting within a few days of testing beta.  It was building for me though.  Draigoch the Bugged, the dead end of mounted combat, the deterioration of the group content, the abandonment of monster play, the eternal disappointment housing, the overall feeling of poor quality... when they took away the captain I played for all those years in the Helm's Debacle, there wasn't much left.  I tried to take part in beta forums but it was a dead end.  Sapience, in addition to his boorish behavior, contradicted Hoarsedev in their rationales on why the character trait change was done and it confirmed for me what a lost cause Turbine was.  I still can't believe I won't be raiding in the mountains of Mordor.

tl;dr - As instance and raid content faded, so did my interest in LOTRO.  The largely unneeded wholesale class changes combined with the complete abandonment of traditional raid and instance content erased what little interest I had left.

Amen.

I still talk with some folks I know that play but it's just on Facebook.

My family is now enjoying building things in EQ Landmark and looking forward to Everquest Next.

Like Catfink, when I saw in Helms Deep beta what was done to my LM and my Cappy, and the announcement of no new raids I said enough.  I made a thread about it here to share that I "fire bomed my account" meaning I deliberately deleted all my characters, all 85s, gave away all my gold, house trophies, etc. and then cancelled my account.  I have happily not looked back since.  Some days I really miss my old LM and his wonderous effects on the fellowships I ran him in, and my Cappy's awesome staying power to save the day, or my Mini's cheerful hobbit giggle which they forever ruined....  But I knew when the class changes came that they would never be the same chars that I had grown to love over the years, so rather than allow the game to "take them out" I did it myself ;)

I sticked around until Turbine cancelled the housing update.

Right there and then I realized that any meaningful investment by Turbine into this great IP was over and done with. And that the crumbs they'd be throwing at us for as long as they could weren't going to cut it for me.

I just stopped playing, cancelled my VIP, removed my payment method, and told myself I'd be back every now and then to keep playing the storyline.

I did actually try my hand at the Isengard in ruins Epic quest. But the magic was already gone.

I removed LOTRO to make room on my harddisk and never felt the need to reinstall it again.

I started playing around a couple of months before Isengard was released (2011? I think, not sure). I played daily.

LOTRO was my first ever mmo. I knew nothing. Didn't have a clue what a tank was or even DPS. 7 months or so later I reached cap and wanted to start doing group content but being on a tiny server would never find any groups so transferred to Brandywine. After a couple months on Brandywine, joining a kin etc. I cut my play down drastically because it was so hard to join groups and the expense of all the nice stuff being in the store started to get to me.  I started to play more with the release of Rohan. After a few months I got bored again so decided to re-roll on a EU server (as it was my time zone) and loved it. Played daily, did groups, both kin and pug, and levelled alts. Wildermore was released and after I started doing dailies, I began to become disillusioned once more with the game and began to hate it.

I took part in HD beta, didn't like what I saw and stopped playing for about 3 months. I'm not sure why I ended up going back. Nostalgia? Perhaps because I love Middle-earth? The fact that no other mmos could really grab me as, for me, it is all about the world? Familiarity? Habit? I played again for about 4 months and then stopped again after Flooded Isengard as I hated the Fangon dailies and thought the content had sunk even lower than HD. The announcement of the cancellation of the housing update also played a big part.

I came back again when Gondor was released, got sucked back in and then became quickly infuriated by the dailies. I recognised a pattern in both me and the game. I realised I'd probably continue quitting, coming back with each new update to only leave out of exasperation with the next inevitable set of grinding, pointless dailies. So I deleted all of my characters to make a final break from the game and haven't looked back. 

I found more of why I left. These are February events. I played since 2009.

[...]after logging in to a ghost town[...]

[...]then doing lots of vault management like this is some logistics simulation[...]

Bags are full of "legendary" weapons. They all get vendor-trashed for the shards. I would even keep them for future toons (haha!) but I cannot buy the storage to do that. That's right I want to buy more storage and they don't let me.

One of my LIs is at max level. Meh. Investment decision, do I pop a scroll on it to extend the lifetime? I think I already did. Can I tell? No. Whatever. I happen to have a LI in the bag for mylevel+1 so I don't lose much.

The other one needs reforging, so I go and play wall street investing my points on it the same way I had before the reforge. Insert meme of Rowan Atkinson playing piano at the olympics. Great play fun.

Since it has been 4+ weeks since I last logged in I forgot that I had a lot of random trash'n'rep quests done in the area I am in and I use star trek teleportation to go to where my epic storyline was stuck. Oops, now I have quest overload, maximum number of quests reached and I can't go back since Scotty has a 1 hour cooldown, not to mention did I make the right investment of travel ports to have one there?

Clean up some more bag space.

Curse the usual "too many requests, slow down" when I try to load my UI layout.

Turn in some quests locally. Pop one level. Oops, now I get a warning that my pocket item is invalid. But I can replace my expired sword. TOO BAD that I liked the looks of the old sword and don't like the looks of the new ones :mad: And I can't keep it either since the vault doesn't accept LIs.

I am ready to log out but I really want some quest, just a quest. So I follow the quest pointer which points up a mountain. It's not me being lazy. The Turbine dude who made the quest does not give any location information. Because he knows I have the arrow. Right. The arrow points up this mountain that I cannot climb here. So I go all the way counterclockwise around the mountain until I hit an invisible wall before hitting an hole in the invisible cliffs. Then I go all the way clockwise until I can get the to quest location.

Yes great fun, this. Is this a tax accounting game or something?

I left after RoI, due to the security hole issue on the forums, and how that was handled (poorly). I returned once, for a few months, but left again - and for good - after I found I had been put on Permanent Moderation status on the official forums, because Turbine didn't like what I had to say about them on my blog and podcast. When I asked why I was on Moderation, I was told it was because I had left the game, but when I showed I was indeed playing the game actively again, they refused to remove the Moderation status.

Yeah, fuck those guys.

Having already posted in this thread about how i stil pay and play i have to admit that given the recent 14.2 update I am having to serioulsy reconsider. I did not rush I did not skim the quests, I did not use speed boosts, I did finish everything it had to offer in under 1 and a half hours.

I was not expecting miracles or 100 quests and content, not from a .x update but i did expect the content they gave us to be engaging and worthwhile. The entire area felt lacklustre and a wasted opportunity. The two war-bands i came across where both "normal" mobs - 19k one of them had adds but both where far too easy. I would have expected these to be at least signature/elite.

The quest line was an empty route that involved running about what could have been any generic fantasy land killing a few orcs, insects and spirits that only served as a means to get to the final 5 minute session play with Frodo, Sam and something that looked a bit like Gollum ( If you looked at Gollum from 100 miles with very bad sight). There was nothing at all for me to do after I finished the session play.

I don't know what i expected but these quests could have been thrown into any of the exisiting areas and we could have had the session play still. Just such a waste of an area.

I'll keep this one short unlike my other posts.   There were 2 very distinct time periods I remember vividly when it comes to this topic.

1.  When I decided to stop spending money on the game.  This happened about 2 weeks into Wildermore.  This is when the overall quality of questing storylines plummeted.   The random loot system was in full force and I had, had about enough of it. 

2.  When I just uninstalled the game.  This was more recent.  I had just ran 2 toons through HD to level 95 and man it was brutal.  I even tried to go back and start a new alt to reinvigorate my interest.  After trying U13 on 1 toon I decided it was enough.  The randomness to the game was worse than pulling the handle on a slot machine.  It by then was making it's way into every aspect of the game.  Even with all the group features I loved being abandon, I felt the game would be ok to play as a single player, but the randomness made it way into that as well.  Really the HD questing was what made my mind up.  Sitting in a solo instance for nearly 10 minutes reading speech bubbles with no way to opt out of it was just not fun.  I blame nothing other than poor development when talking about my exit from the game.

Unlike when I quit wow this time I did not feel the need to delete toons.  With WOW the temptation was always there to resub and get back into it.  That feeling is not there with Lotro.  I can safely say that I can stay away and have active characters.   Not sure who ran the game into the ground Turbine or WB but it happened quickly!

I was playing actively when HD hit, leveled 3 to 95 did big battles and the same old same old. It wasnt until update 13 that I really started to loose interest in the game, never even went near Flooded Isengard. One of my kin members went off to play Guild Wars 2 and he mentioned the game through our facebook group which got us interested. So, I think it was around June/July that most of my kin and I went over to Guild Wars. I think I've only logged on a handful of times to stand around and talk to some friends since then.

I was most active from about the 3rd month of SoA up to Enedwaith and F2P. I had six raiding toons at that point. Lack of content and the F2P did it for me it never seemed the same after that. I came back briefly for RoI and quit pretty much into the 3rd questing area as I found it so tedious and repetive and as others have mentioned the stupidity of the Grey Company was just farcical. I finally forced my way through this content when RoR came out of curiosity for MC having finished it and realising that end game now consisted of dailies (Hytbolt) I left again now down to two raid ready toons. I came back last for HD for a week did the content on my LM hated the skill trees and BB, logged my captain looked at what they did to him parked him in Evendim and logged for the last time. During the SoA to SoM era I probably poured more hours into this game than any other I ever played but its time to put down the pooch now for me while it still has any shred of dignity left (debateable tbh).

After the European free to play transition before OD launched. I was a lifetime subscriber and did not enjoy the wall to wall adverts for the  cash shop plastered across every loading screen, and a pop-up for the shop occurring when I engaged in certain game activities.

The shop was sold on the basis of convenience not need, and I was not happy when items where added which were better than what could be crafted, eg LM pet food morale and power pots. My raiding guild were insisting pots from the shop were mandatory for raiding.

Played for years. Though LOTRO was not my fist MMO, it was my all time favorite. What I loved the most was the in game community. It had by far the friendliest people on public chat. Trolls were generally shouted down quickly and ignored. I had a great active kinship that raided/skirmed together, helped lower Lvl members, etc. Then RoR hit. We lost a lot of members, but the main kinnies held on...until Helms Deep. The skill trees were the final blow. Even I stopped playing and went to RIFT.

When Gondor arrived and Sapience quite I went back at my kinnie's request. But there are only a few members left active and most rarely socialize. I must admit I still love the public chat. Most of the folks on my server are clever and i can make friends easily. Unfortunately thats something i generally dont find in other MMOs.

Still, the game itself continues to be a great disappointment. Don't know if I can stick with it much longer. :(

Long time lurker, first time poster.  :)

My leaving LOTRO has been gradual.  The first blow was the continually bugged out Draigoch raid.  It basically obliterated my kin and caused my best friends in the game to leave for SWTOR and GW2.  I went with them, but kept a foot in Middle-earth.

Then, RoR basically did me in...The world building was great and the quest lines were an improvement to the boring Dunland and Grey Company content (I still shake my head at the whole concept of Galtrev...Galtrev was truly the first time the immersion in the game was broken for me.  Why would a social hub be in a practically unprotected city in the middle of enemy territory?  How could they have such advanced crafting?  Why would a rider of Theodred be allowed to stand in the middle of town to barter items?).   Anyway, mounted combat and Hytbold ruined the expac for me - endless annoying lag, additional LI grind, cosmetics only in the store, an end game to nowhere.  Haven't returned to Hytbold since I completed the grind...

I bought HD at 50% off.  Log in every 3-4 weeks to pay the rent and mow the lawn at my houses and move my cappy through a quest or two.  Still sitting at lvl 96.  No intention to spend another penny in the game.

Enedwaith was truly the last time I was totally satisfied with the game.  In my opinion, over time, the game drifted away from the things that made it a unique MMO.  One of those things I was thinking about recently was the incorporation of Tolkien's concepts about or use of words like Morale, Power, Corruption, Hope, Dread, Virtues, Deeds, Inspiration, etc. into the game design - from character building to quests to raid mechanics to skill descriptions.  How cool was it to gather around a minstrel to have them inspire you and dispel the dread you had been struck by after a rough dungeon run?  No sign of anything like that in the current game.   Did other people appreciate the use of those ideas/game mechanics? 

P.S. - I was extremely happy to find this site around the time of HD and learn I wasn't alone in questioning the direction of the game and design decisions.  As you can expect, I share many of the same complaints as posters here (grouping philosophy, housing, skill trees, festival grind).

I quit back in SOM. For me it was the fact that the kin I had been in since launch was a shadow of its former self. Most of the people I had played with had quit and for me most of the enjoyment I have in a MMO is with the people I play with. 

I tried a few other kins but it just wasn't the same. 

I came back when Helms Deep was released but hated the game. After all that time away things had only gotten worse. Visually the game looks horrible dated. The character models are just simply terrible, pathing is still an issue, the whole skill tree rework is terrible, there is nothing to aim for since there is no end game content and the I didn't think turbine could make the game any more of a grindfest, damn was I wrong. On top of all of this I hate having the store shoved down my throat every 5 seconds.

The shame is that I have a VIP account since I was a life timer and have last time I checked I had nearly 30k of TP. 

All I can think about is how good Lotro could of been, should of been but instead all we have is this shitty excuse of a MMO