LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tribulation

Taking a break for a few months

I loved this game and honestly expected to be playing it for years.

However, something is simply not going right in my opinion.

I have two main problems, the second being the one that's temporarily driven me away.

1) They keep dumbing elements of the game down in reaction to what some people say, but don't actually address their concerns while doing so.

For example, many people hated the Vet grind,  For me, the only enjoyable thing about having to go through the other two  factions with my main was the challenge. Yes I had to respec and learn a different main weapon in order to solo through it, but once I had done so, I finally started enjoying the vet stuff. It was hard but not impossible (and I'm not the best player), now it's simply a joke, might as well play Lotro, I die about as much

The saving point of course being we still have Craglorn. The bad point about Craglorn is that it really needs a group for all of it (well I do at vet 10) .

While I love group content, I also like being able to log in for 30 mins here, an hour there and just play, which is not really feasible with Craglorn, and while yes I can get a group together at say 7pm tomorrow night if I plan in advance, it's hard logging on and finding guildies that are playing the exact same time I am etc. And I loath pug groups, and pug groups only really exist to grind to vet 14 asap rather than do the content.

And I'm at the point where I'm overleveled for the other two faction grind and I can solo almost blindly with zero worries, or I go to Crag and get killed doing the first quest I find.

Then we have the other dumbing down, When I played the beta, the one thing that drew me to the game was the original mages and fighters guild fights, they were awesome. Yes you would die over and over the first few times if you didn't know what was going on, but all you had to do was ask on the forum and there was no end of advice and once you understood what to do, they weren't really hard.

But some people moaned, they nerfed them, and now the fighters guild one you can kill the boss in seconds without having to do anything, use any pot, and without them ever getting to spawn their healing balls.  That direction worries me for the future.

But the best fun I have had in this game by far has been PvP. I started playing at level 10 and happily played there a few nights a week right up until I got to vet 10. I loved it, fellow guildies would join up with another couple of guilds (or sometimes we would go it alone) and we would have pure fun, whether we died, did something stupid or whatever, we were all on mumble and the hours flew past, which brings me onto my major complaint.

2) The amount of game breaking bugs is the one thing that caused me not to renew my sub this month, my patience has simply run out.

I'm talking about Cyrodiil (PvP) mainly but some are in PvE too.

It is going to depend on your play style as to whether you notice these bugs (if you never go into PvP for example you wont understand my complaints at all) or how annoying you find these bugs.

It also can depend whether you are on the EU or NA server.

When they moved the EU server to Germany, the very next day most of my guild started noticing lag spikes.  It was much more noticeable at peak times, you would open a door, or try to take a quest from an NPC and nothing would happen, then 10 - 30 secs later it would spring back into life. 

This is bad enough if your doing something like that, but trying to fight 3 mobs and it happens, well you know the result.

Weapon swapping also became a pain, It's fine if your standing around testing it somewhere, but at the height of battle when you need it, you try to change weapons and nothing happens.

Not long before the move to Germany, we had PvP (Cyrodiil) totally unplayable for about 2 weeks. They finally fixed it, then they moved the servers and we had bad lag.

A few days later (they didn't wait to see how well the servers work after the move before the update)  we had the 1.3 update. This again made PvP totally unplayable and it continued being so for the entire month to the point I simply stopped logging in as I found it so frustrating.

At first I would log in, try to play, get chucked back to desktop or finding the lag so bad etc that I quit for the night (as did many other of my guildies)

But over the next few weeks I logged in less and less until my sub came up for renewal and I thought "why should I when I can't play"

Looking at my guilds forum, it appears I'm not alone. Up until 1.3, the vast majority of my guild were really really positive about the game, even laughing at the bugs, but since then, person after person has grown tired and we've gone from a very active guild of 50+ members to being lucky if you log on and find another guild member online, all in a period of about 8 weeks.

In the weeks leading up to 1.3, when Zenimax announced their proposed PvP campaign chances, I along with countless other players told them how replacing the 90 day campaigns with one 30 day campaign was not enough for the EU and we all pointed out how currently two 90 day ones are full every night.

We were totally ignored.  When 1.3 came out and within 48 hrs there were queues to enter the 30 day campaign for well over 1 to 2 hrs,

I posted on their site and asked them if they were going to open up another one, or are they going to do their tried and tested practice of saying noting for the next 6 weeks, piss a load of players off to the point of leaving, then announce that in their 1.4 update they were opening another campaign by which time they will have lost a ton of players.

I'm sure you can guess which approach they took. Not that it would matter as PvP is pretty unplayable anyway.

Then there was the Emperor farming, They knew it was happening and basically gave everyone a few weeks countdown date until fixes would be in place, meaning my emperor killing achievement is meaningless as they weren't skilled at all. They could have temporarily disabled the Emporor bit while a fix was found.

They simply don't seem to grasp what's going on at all.

So I decided to take a break until they have fixed the problems, this of course means I can no longer give any input on their forums.

1.4 has come out. I look at my guilds forum chat and what do I see.

"I see the Cyrodiil crashes are back :( Gave up on tonight!"

or from someone else

"ESO hates me! d/led the hotfix thingy and when i try to use a wayshrine i get stuck on loading screen & then crash"

And there aren't many of my guildies trying to play at the moment, they aren't leaving but are all as tired as me of the problems just trying to log in and play a bit of PvP

I look at the official ESO sight and what do I find under the PvP section

2.1K views   "Constant Crash to Desktop"

1.5k views "PvP has become unplayable."

"My Day in ESO PvP - A Crash Story"

And the most annoying thing is people discovering this fairly recent term QQing, and every time someone posts a legitimate concern some smart arse has to reply "another QQ, can I have your stuff please", and then someone decides to post a "Thank you Zenimax" thread and say they are sick of all the QQing and think Zenimax deserves praise for their great game.

And I've reached the point where I think it's the best game I've played in years but there is something wrong with the way it's managed, there are too many bugs still there, they don't communicate enough, they lay staff off and make comments that now the game is running smoothly they don't need so many?????????

They make knee jerk reactions, ignore what people say or suggest

And I simply have reached the point of "why bother playing"

I think for them, a big part of their problem is their 6 week update cycle. If there's one or two major updates a year and a part of the game is unplayable for a couple of weeks while bugs are found, people moan, but get over it and have another 5+ months of playable game time.

With ESO we have 2 weeks of unplayable PvP, 4 weeks of playable, then another update and it's unplayable again (only in 1.3 it was for longer than 2 weeks until I gave up) and now we have 1.4, it's unplayable yet again.

Ah well, great game, I hope things improve and I return.

Rant over.

I was PvPing today, crashed at least 6 times in less than an hour. But I crash in PvE land too, I crash when I sell trash, I crash when I switch mounts, today I started crashing when I used the guild store.

As for vet content nerf, haven't seen that much of a difference. I have a VR11 DK and VR3 NB and it's still fun and challenging for me.

I don't know about guild quests being nerfed, but the Molag Bal fight is a joke now.

And the most annoying thing is people discovering this fairly recent term QQing, and every time someone posts a legitimate concern some smart arse has to reply "another QQ, can I have your stuff please", and then someone decides to post a "Thank you Zenimax" thread and say they are sick of all the QQing and think Zenimax deserves praise for their great game.

Whoa...are the Turbine Trolls moving their act to ESO?

Whoa...are the Turbine Trolls moving their act to ESO?

No, you have to think of this as a typical busy forum (not like Lotro's) like WoW. Most of the people on it are very young and often post quick replies that might not be polite. WoW's forums are a perfect example. These people are nothing like the OF trolls with their longer posts.

Hehe.  Most of your post is spot on, Tribulation, especially about the decline in challenge for the game in general, which sadly started in beta and has not stopped since.

I'd say the Craglorn is a prime example of just how mule headed some are over at ZoS, since they had a good three months to hear that the zone was not WAI - with anyone.  The stupid thing? They stuck to their idea and proceeded to issue more of the same.  Dumb move.  On the other hamnd, there is actually a lot you can do alone out there, despite what appearances may seem.  I have spent a lot of time in delves just tooling around, and found more XP and consequently random ppl in the process to do stuff with than trying to sink up with others for a single quest.  Mobs are just not the challenge they should be, let alone the bosses - it's just farily boring.

Serpent Trial and Arena are not anything to write home about either.  Especially since the same principal is still at work - dps race... snzzzzzzzzz.  Honestly the vet dungeon challenge modes are more interesting and at least satisfying to finish.

At this point, I have left my Templar at vr12 as I just do not have much interest at all in grinding out further levels.  She may hit 14 by accident due to the dungeon dives here there, but that is about it - considering the supposed "overhaul to the vet system" I have no inclination whatsoever to regear anything nor invest time in something that is being scrapped.

I am however, busy leveling my Sorc and NB alts, which I have been having fun doing as a break from the rest.  I imagine they may be vet ranks by the time to actual change to vet levels happen.  Mostly, I don't play as often and don't forsee resubbing either until such time as they release the new zones that have actual content that is new - which supposedly means spring sometime...

Serpent Trial and Arena are not anything to write home about either. Especially since the same principal is still at work - dps race... snzzzzzzzzz. Honestly the vet dungeon challenge modes are more interesting and at least satisfying to finish.

When I saw a 14 minute video of Atherian Archive (sp?) featuring what looked like 12 Light armour DKs with Destro/Resto staff combo all spamming the fire AoE skill on every pull/boss, I realised that I will most likely never come back to ESO

Well it's now December. What do I read on their site?

Dec 2nd in huge thread entitled "Lag is unbearable" from Zenimax

We understand the frustration expressed in this thread and others like it. Though we may not respond to every one, we do read them and are very aware of the game performance issues some of you are experiencing in Cyrodiil. There are many contributing factors that can potentially result in lag and game performance issues. Each time we identify one, we do all we can on our end to make things run more smoothly. For example, we have identified an issue with particle effects staying on player characters longer than they should. We're currently investigating and working toward a fix.

We know that this may not be the immediate all-encompassing fix or answer everyone is hoping for; we want you to know that improving game performance and reducing lag in Cyrodiil is an ongoing effort we're dedicated to.

A few responses

It's not just Cyrodiil. Something has changed recently. I used to never get lag in PvE, now it's like I'm playing a stop-motion animation almost everywhere I go. Nothing has changed on my end. I'm getting infinite loading screens at least 4 times per session which I have to end process on ESO to get out of.

I think we now have less in Cyrodill and have worse lag. I have voted the only way I can, I have cancelled my subscription. I may come back if improvements are made.

Yeah, i just quit pvp after only 10 minutes of playing when the lagging started and quickly turned into players hanging in the air frozen. Thanks for that.

Cyrodiil? What Cyrodiil? I stopped PvPing months ago since it was so freaking laggy, and then the lag found it's way to PvE so now I can do exactly nothing to escape lag.

It's worrying that you just now realise there's lag in Cyro. That means it will take half a year until you acknowledge the lag outside Cyrodiil?   :|

And a few other quotes from other threads in the past few days (all from December)

To the surprise of absolutely no one, there is nothing in 1.5.7 that even attempts to fix the lag issue in Cyrodiil. I can only assume ZOS does not perceive the issue to be a serious problem that needs to be fixed

We did receive a fix for the Lethal Arrow healing reduction problem and a fix for some weird teleportation problem. Oh, the LFG tool was "fixed" again as well.

Cyrodiil for lack of a better word is a total WRECK. Delayed sound effects, animation effects, serious lag, crashes etc, etc, etc. With those issues the game is not even fun to play. Since patch 1.5.6 it is the worst I have ever seen and I have been playing in Cyrodiil for some time. Heck it took two minutes for the game to finally realize that I was out of combat so I could mount my horse and I was standing in the middle of a Keep courtyard that was not even under attack...........

im going to be honest, i did not read yoour post, but iv read dozens of posts complaining about the same exact thing, so i dont even need to read it to know what you are complaining about:(

So why do we PvP?

To view the lovely art work on the endless load screen?

To fight for keeps/scrolls then have low pop bonus screw the low pop faction?

To enjoy 10 second delays on spells?

To play fair and then have scrolls stolen or get one shotted by exploiters?

To do the same thing over and over?

To not see your own and enemy skills which affects play greatly?

To get 16fps in large fights when your PC should eat it?

and i could of course go on for pages.

Looks like I'm not going back any time soon :(

Yeah, I'm beginning to think the whole last year was a beta with all these "final" changes happening about the same time the console version comes out. I really think Zenimax thinks the console market is going to bail them out, but they are sadly mistaken. Just bring on F2P already.

People talk about bugs unfixed, but I really think there is an interesting question here:

bug are unfixed that were in the original game, or bugs that were introduced while in progress of making other unwelcome changes?

I loved this game and honestly expected to be playing it for years.

However, something is simply not going right in my opinion.

*snip*

Rant over.

Wall of text, didn't bother reading, too much QQ, can I have your stuff?

• Upvote 1

Well it's now December. What do I read on their site?

Dec 2nd in huge thread entitled "Lag is unbearable" from Zenimax

A few responses

And a few other quotes from other threads in the past few days (all from December)

and i could of course go on for pages.

Looks like I'm not going back any time soon :(

There is very little(if any) lag on the EU server chap...

Certainly not as bad as what those excerpts you pasted here indicate.

I would've thought you would know better than to base total assumption on a forum :P

I'm basing it on what it was like when I left (and was the main reason for me leaving) and what guild mates have said since, and what Zenimax themselves have admitted.

I'm not paying to see whether it's fixed only to find out it isn't.

Wall of text, didn't bother reading, too much QQ, can I have your stuff?

I love these useful responses, how someone who cant be bothered to read something that takes 20 secs but finds the time to write about how they found it too long for their brain to read.

Especially when they end with "can I have your stuff" when I state I'm not leaving.

I'm in the Uk and play on the NA server and have had no lag so far at all in PVE. I have never tried PVP as its not really my thing, but am surprised at how many people think there is lag in PVE. Maybe I have just been lucky, but if I have then so have the people in my guilds too. 

There are bugs with the game for sure, and I hope they fix them soon (like broken face mechanics during conversations) but I have to say that I don't think lag has really been an issue in PVE so far. 

Lag was never an issue with me. The constant adjustments that affected PVE play due to PVP, and the fact some shit still isn't working right. That's what killed it for me. They released a beta state game.

Paper and pencil RPG's are really starting to seem to be a much better investment of money and time compared to the jokes that are being sold to people anymore.

They released a beta state game.

I completely agree with this. The game was nowhere near to being in a releasable state when they did actually release it, and I remember saying that to one of the "ESO Elite" pr!cks on their twitch program, who ignored the points I was making about the broken mechanics in the beta and dismissed me with the comment "like you would know". They definitely rushed the game for release and it suffered because of it. 

I love these useful responses, how someone who cant be bothered to read something that takes 20 secs but finds the time to write about how they found it too long for their brain to read.

Especially when they end with "can I have your stuff" when I state I'm not leaving.

And I love people who can't pick up on obvious sarcasm.

And I love people who can't pick up on obvious sarcasm.

Well with 9 whole posts I'm sure we are all well aware of your forum idiosyncrasies.

Pro tip, add ./end_sarcasm next time.

• Upvote 2

Just chiming in again after some time to say I am finally throwing my hat in with Tribulation here, after yet another "professional" video cast of the team over the upcoming roll out of the champion system. 

For the forseeable future I am leaving my vr14s in the dirt since it appears there is really very little reason to play them until the whole sordid mess gets worked out, as it appears none of the xp that they have been earning really is going to be rewarded any differently than someone with 1 veteran rank player just hitting vr1.

The one thing that baffles me about this development team is how on earth have they managed to convince the suits that pay them that this game is actually viable.

I think that at onset, during the beta phase (albeit massively bugged), it truly was actually a better game.  As the months have rolled on and the constant shifting of directions has ensued, things just keep going backwards instead of the other way around. 

That my sub was on auto-renew was too bad, but now it seems they are also cancelling the 6month option for players to choose (jee, I wonder why that is....) and what with the console version looming into next year, it would seem the writing is on the wall. 

Maybe I will check back in May to see the result of all this finaegeling of the game systems currently in place... but I smell "fireboming" again if it looks the way I think it will.