LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

Getting started

I was thinking about giving Rift a try, yet after a few hours I'm still not fully convinced ... So hopefully you guys can answer some of my questions:

1) The store

What are the typical items you won't be able to live without in this game?
I noticed the limited bagspace is a problem for f2p as well as not having a mount (although I did get a 16 slot bag & mount already via promo code)

2) Money

Will I have to grind till I drop in order to pay for the gear I need? Auction house seems pretty expensive (not to mention f2p players can't sell anything ... )

3) Crafting

Is it viable? Can you craft useful items for your character like you could in lotro?

3) Endgame

Joined one of these instant adventures and was leveling up like crazy, from doing these team quests. While rushing isn't really what I want, I noticed that leveling at least feels a lot faster than in other games. But what happens once I get to cap? All it took back in lotro was having a second age something, a few guild crafted armour and/or jewellery pieces and you were all set. What about Rift? Is there a lot of gearcheck going, since you can basically buy gear in the store?

4) Retail box

Heard there was a boxed version of this game, offering some decent goodies. Pretty much like tha MoM lotro box with the 30 day vip, ingame items etc. you can still find on amazon. Are they worth picking up or does it make no difference if you buy the new souls from the retail box or fromt the store?

Looking forward to your replies ;)

What server are you on, class, and toon name? Any one of us can donate crafted bags (it follows WoW's model of storage, not LotRO's).

1--- You need nothing, though I personally like experimenting with all the souls, and my favorite store-only purchase is the portal thing (forgot the name) where you can port to anywhere from anywhere once an hour. But I wouldn't bother with something like that unless you invest a whole lot more gaming time.

Per lowbie gear, you can quest or do zone events/Instant Adventures for planar currency to trade for blue/purple quality gear, quite good. Others can craft for you too, either from this board or if you ask in /trade maybe offering the raw materials (probably depends on the server too). And crafting can be quite useful...in fact, given how the AH was buggered up with the 2.8 patch (Trion messed with the fee structure and pissed off a lot of players, but I haven't been able to see longer term effects at the moment), it's easier to just barter and craft for yourself instead of trying to trade on the AH with gold/plat you don't yet have. There's the "buy order" AH section, but I haven't tried it yet, and it does eat fees.

3--- The players who buy endgame gear (only penultimate is available, never top tier) are very rare since it's like over $500 for a full set of something that's already out of date. Keep in mind the Rift store is very different from LotRO's--it contains nearly all NPC vendor barterable items as well as Trion exclusives, and you can tell them apart by the currency types on the right-hand columns for a given gear piece. The progression is pretty standard in WoW-like terms (top-end crafting or chronicles, then various dungeons, then various raids), but there is often the added requirement to "link achievements" to prove you had gone through a certain stage of a given instance/raid, if you PUG.

And don't worry about leveling up too quickly if you don't want to, as there is the lovely mentoring system where you can lower your level to match content if you want to (and it's required for certain things like lowbie zone event bosses).

4--- You can get digital collector's editions from Trion's online store accessible from your Trion Glyph account. I don't know about physical boxes, as the keys may not work anymore. Souls are only sold from the game store these days.

The Store: There's very little in the store that you actually need, about all that could be construed as needed by some really is the bag slots and bank slots.

Money: Money is fairly easy to come by once you are high enough level, and if you do crafting there are crafting daily quests that give a huge chunk of cash.

Crafting: At low level crafting there's not really much that's viable, most of it is outdated pretty quick as you level and dungeon drops are far better. At high levels of crafting you have in each of the gear crafting professions (weapon crafting, armour crafting, tailoring)some best in slot items for base level 60 characters (ie those that haven't started raiding yet), pretty much each profession has one or two items that everybody needs, for example fishing has fish to catch that are used in cooking feasts which are THE food you need to take on raids with you etc.

Endgame: The endgame is where it's really at in Rift, there are 3 tiers of dungeons and raids, each tier has a stat requirement before you can enter, stats that are specific to dungeon/raid gear, this means you need to have at least a good chunk of the previous tiers equipment before you can progress, you don't have to win the item in the raid to get it though, you get currency in raids and can use that to buy raid gear of that tier, so it's not like LOTRO where you have to keep running the raid until you get the item you want but you do need to run the various raids quite a few times to get enough currency etc. You can also buy raid armour from the store, BUT it's you cannot buy the current highest tier, so you can skip the lower tiers by buying the armour but you have to do the raids if you want the current highest tier, plus it's inadvisable to do it that way because each set costs $400 to $500.

Retail Box: If you can get a cheap one from amazon (don't get it from ebay as you don't know if the coded been used or not) then it's very useful, you get; 30 days patron, two extra bag slots, an extra character slot, and some other items. The codes still work finer, however some batches of codes don't always work but if you submit a ticket Trion will fix it for you (the reason they don't work is because they were editions that offered extras and required owning the base game, because you're F2P you never purchased a base game and a base game code wasn't entered on your account which means when you enter the expansion code it doesn't find the base game code and won't work), also make sure the version of the box you buy says on it that you get 30 days subscription as some of the editions had subs included and some didn't.

Dont worry to much about bag space, you can sell anything via the store interface even when you are in the middle of no where.

Which server are you on, there may be some from here on the same server that may be willing to help you out with some low level crafted gear

1) Bags space. If you join a good guild often you can find guild mates who will craft you the bags you need. You can buy some on the AH or just barter for them in chat. I think some vendors sell basic smaller bags. Other than Souls I have wanted to try I don't think there is much from the store that is essential. I have purchased a few mounts, which is strange as I never normally do that!

2) Money, I find money comes quite naturally whilst questing, you will find it cheaper to keep an eye on any trade going on in chat or to seek out a good guild that may help you out or sell you stuff cheaper. The AH is expensive.

3) Crafting is very viable but not until endgame really, I would still pick some professions and make sure to keep on top of them as you level though so you don't have to go back and do them later.

4) Endgame, think WoW more than Lotro, however I haven't met that many jerks that want to bang on about my mediocre gear or anything. Buying gear in the store is expensive and it is the previous generation of top end gear.

5) Retail box, no idea. It occurs to me that I haven't purchased a retail box for any game for at least 2 years now!

Thanks everyone for the great feedback :)

Currently I'm still kinda testing the waters, but I'm pretty sure I'll (once again) start with crafting. I was thinking about Butchering/Outfitter/Runecrafter since I heard that combo was pretty viable.

Not sure which crafts are best together, but if you do take butchering you can butcher any animal kill by any player so it is easy to level it up. The same applied to plant type monsters which can be foraged and the golems that can be mined, but these two types are not as common.

The sheer variety of currencies in the game can be confusing. Well worth looking up one of the many decent references that covers what they are and what can be had for them.

Also worth looking up the class guides, as the sheer variety of potential builds can be daunting.

Per crafting, just keep in mind that it's like WoW's model and not like LotRO's; you have to fight the RNG to level up your crafting. Runecrafting is great but similar to WoW's enchanting in that it's often seen as a "second tier" crafting profession, easier to level when your other professions are already capped. But if you're diligent, doesn't matter.

The Rift OF is way more useful than the LotRO OF, by the way, so I recommend skimming their subsections (like class guides, etc.).

Also, cossieuk's tip about selling vendor trash via the store interface is spot on.

(Edit: Aw, I wanted to post something cooler for my 1337th post. :P)

Yep, I think it's a good choice. You'll always need enchants, and those professions support each other.

I picked Apothecary/Foraging/Butchering myself. It's simple to level, and I figured I'll always need some potions.

I was thinking about giving Rift a try, yet after a few hours I'm still not fully convinced ... So hopefully you guys can answer some of my questions:

1) The store

What are the typical items you won't be able to live without in this game?

I noticed the limited bagspace is a problem for f2p as well as not having a mount (although I did get a 16 slot bag & mount already via promo code)

2) Money

Will I have to grind till I drop in order to pay for the gear I need? Auction house seems pretty expensive (not to mention f2p players can't sell anything ... )

3) Crafting

Is it viable? Can you craft useful items for your character like you could in lotro?

3) Endgame

Joined one of these instant adventures and was leveling up like crazy, from doing these team quests. While rushing isn't really what I want, I noticed that leveling at least feels a lot faster than in other games. But what happens once I get to cap? All it took back in lotro was having a second age something, a few guild crafted armour and/or jewellery pieces and you were all set. What about Rift? Is there a lot of gearcheck going, since you can basically buy gear in the store?

4) Retail box

Heard there was a boxed version of this game, offering some decent goodies. Pretty much like tha MoM lotro box with the 30 day vip, ingame items etc. you can still find on amazon. Are they worth picking up or does it make no difference if you buy the new souls from the retail box or fromt the store?

Looking forward to your replies ;)

1.  Storage space/using the AH.  Even if you want to buy rex via in game currency, it will take a long time to collect the money to do so without using the AH.  If you want to use in game bartering via trade you face the uncertainy of item thieves just like any other game.  You could also send items COD.  But seriously why waste time that could be better spent playing the game.  I spent 6$ after reaching level 23ish.  I have access to the AH and I was able to get 1000's of platinum just selling loot boxes. 

2.  As I said above sell the loot boxes you get to get money.  As will all MMO's I never spend money on gear unless it is level cap gear.  You can obtain gear by running instances, via instant adventure or through crafting.   Quests also reward gear.   I may have had a few outdated pieces upon reaching level 50 but upon reaching level 60 most of my gear was in the 57-58 range. 

3.  Is crafting viable?  Sure most of my toons are using a mix of crafted and instance won gear while leveling up.

3A.  It may seem fast at the lower levels but come level 50 you are going to see a considerable slow down.  I found that 50-60 were 5 times slower than 1-50.  As it should be as the 50-60 is current content.  People check for achievements not gear most of the time, but I found joining a decent guild nullifies the need to have ubber gear.   I found letting guildies know my former game history was important.  They knew I had tanked hardmode dungeons and raids in WOW as well as lotro.   SO I wasn't treated as a total noob straight off the bat.  When you get there you will find it is much more diverse than many other games.  When I'm alone I solo some of the duo chronicles or do the solo one.  There are dailies, max level IA, etc.  And for all the evil groupers there is plenty to do.

4.  I'd forget the retail version.  See if you like the game first.  I think it was about level 35 for me when I said yes I want to continue playing for a long time.

As of today I have spent about 46$ on this game.   I used some of the rex for a mount, some for storage space and some to get a quick soul walk when the respawn was far away.  I have even spent some on stuff I did not need.  I still have over 500 rex.    I do have a max level outfitter so bag space is always there.  Compared to what I spent in WOW and Lotro to get the same enjoyment (hundreds) I think 46$ was a pretty good bargain.  I've taken a bit of a break from the game as I am trying Skyrim for the first time so that is consuming my time.  I'd like to come back for the xpac and join a new guild so I can enjoy the new raids and stuff while it is fresh.

Quick question: how do I buy auction selling access? I don't see it anywhere as I look at the store so I must be missing it somehow.

Yep, 1500 loyalty. You get loyalty  when you spend money. 5 euros get close to 1k credits and close to 2k loyalty, so that's enough. A subscription would also work.

And if you prefer to stay F2P, you can buy a REX in game from AH and use it. It will also give enough loyalty. They cost around 1.1-1.2k platinum on my server.

3A.  It may seem fast at the lower levels but come level 50 you are going to see a considerable slow down.  I found that 50-60 were 5 times slower than 1-50.  As it should be as the 50-60 is current content. 

That sounds painful. Leveling already feels a bit too slow for me at 44. Although maybe it's because I downscaled and play in lower level zones, maybe that's a slow way to level.

Leveling from 50-60 is a lot slower than previous levels. Partly due to larger xp needed, but more in part due to the harder difficulty of the mobs. There is a big jump in the mob stats, especially health, which slows you down a lot.

I didn't really find 50 to 60 that much slower once I geared up to be honest.

There is such a big gear jump from 49 to 50 it does make it harder to fight, but once you have a few pieces of SL dropped equipment it gets much easier, trash drops in SL zones can be better than epic dungeon drops from old zones, not only because the stats are higher but because there are stats on SL gear that are not on old gear.

The big mistake people make when they start in the SL zones is to carry on the way they were before doing IA's and dungeons for XP, this doesn't give as much XP in SL as it did in the old zones. You have to adjust your levelling technique once you hit 50, quest chains and hunt rifts are where the XP is at in SL, once you understand that it's not that much slower.

Yeah, I didn't have much problem in the 50-60 zones; for one, there are two SL continents, and I noticed many players just pick one and don't bother with the other. I hop between them for quests, although it makes keeping track of the underlying story quests slightly confusing here and there, but xp isn't a problem; not to mention doubling up quest rewards, some of which are decent cosmetic sets, or provide crafting mats from break-down. Trion has also adjusted the SL mob difficulty and xp gains at least twice, I think.

By the way, most people would say skip Ember Isle (old level 50 cap, like Angmar), but I say if you like more backstory/lore stuff, do those quests. That's another decent chunk of xp right there, though the old quest rewards aren't so useful for leveling anymore. EI is more difficult for a fresh 49-whatever because the mobs are, I think, level 52, but I did the initial Storm Legion quest chains for the level 50 SL gear, then went back and did EI.

Quick question: What are lootboxes? So far I found 2 keys, but no boxes.

The random grouping kinda confuses me as well: I've ended up in a group several times now without knowing how and when I accepted to join. Kind weird that nobody ever talks in groups ... or in zone chat. Since worldchat is working, I'm pretty sure groupchat isn't muted. But maybe it's just me.

I like the fact they have these random public events, like the instabile artifact hunt (although I barely found any so far :P)

Biggest pita is glyph ... Every time I login, I'll have to enter a code to "confirm" my location via a code they send me by email. Once I finally made it into the game, my character is coin locked ... so I need to enter a second key.

Tried to uninstall glyph, sadly I can't play rift at all without glyph (or I'm doing it wrong)

Lockboxes are very rare world drops that contain RNG-based loot appropriate (usually) for your level (which means the common advice is to NOT open until reaching cap), and also require keys, which are also world drops. I've only gotten 3 lockboxes from world drops myself, ever. They may drop more commonly in dungeons, dunno.

Okay, public grouping.

The group-join button appears when (1) you're near zone event mobs or a rift, and (2) there is someone nearby with public grouping ENABLED (which it is by default, but you can disable your own setting by right-clicking your portrait). You can also join a public group without the popup button by selecting someone in a public group and clicking the little (+) button on their portrait. Public groups form, as you surmised, basically during zone events. It's completely optional to join, but it helps with zone event situations that need some cohesive action...

Chatting is usually mute or minimal---most Rift players have experience in other trinity MMOs, so people expect you to know your role. Your ROLE is the little colored icon that appears next to your portrait in a group setting---tank, heal, damage, support---and depends entirely on how you choose your soul tree points (and no one can inspect your actual tree choices). The only times I've seen people chat in a public group during a zone event is when there isn't a tank ("can someone tank?") or healer (ditto) or there's a mechanic that some people aren't understanding ("drag to the cannons!"). Don't worry about that overmuch, as public groups quickly disperse at the end of a zone event. But I still love it.

Oh, Glyph is the unified launcher for all Trion games. You should go into settings and change (I don't remember the exact settings since I'm not on my PC right now)---you can make Glyph automatically shut down (doesn't stay in memory) when launching a game, and also set the startup screen to only the games you have installed.

As for the code/coin lock thing, I'd check the tech support forum or search since sometimes people post about it in General.

http://forums.riftgame.com/technical-discussions/tech-support/

This might be relevant to you:

http://forums.riftgame.com/technical-discussions/tech-support/428785-coin-locked-every-time-i-login.html

NOTE: I have seen a number of threads on the general OF lately complaining about customer service wait times, which I assume has to do with a rough Archeage launch. :/ FYI.

I'm using proxy servers a lot, so there's my problem I guess ..

Also: User received an infraction for this post Infraction tags? Really?

Biggest pita is glyph ... Every time I login, I'll have to enter a code to "confirm" my location via a code they send me by email. Once I finally made it into the game, my character is coin locked ... so I need to enter a second key.

Tried to uninstall glyph, sadly I can't play rift at all without glyph (or I'm doing it wrong)

Weird, I get none of that. I just open glyph and click play, no codes at any point.

As to lock boxes, I found some 4 or 5 so far in the ~month I've been playing, one from world kills, one in an instance, the rest of them from daily rewards for warfronts and such.

I just sold them, they seem to sell for 30-150ish platinum each on my server, depending on their type.

I didn't open any of them, but I heard that they can drop random cosmetics, currencies, gear, mounts, raid consumables, store items. But there are many types of lock boxes and treasure trove boxes in the game with different loot tables.

Also, I read a dev post that the new expansion will bring different lock boxes, and current ones won't scale to 65. So it's probably better to try to sell them if you find any before the expansion. That post didn't say anything about keys, so I don't know if they will work for lvl 65 boxes or not.

I'm using proxy servers a lot, so there's my problem I guess ..

Also: User received an infraction for this post Infraction tags? Really?

Yes, I saw that post, and it was edited by the mod so it probably contained "colorful" language (or attempting to get around the filters). Infractions are public for all to see, which I think actually helps keep Trion accountable too. It's never perfect. More details about their moderation policy, which changed this year, here:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/417788-please-aware-new-forum-toxicity-policies.html

Ban people for making "toxic posts"? Sounds like something "you know who" was doing over on the offical forum on a daily basis.

Pretty excited to see what Nightmare Tide will be like. Medicus looks very interesting (: