LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

Getting started

Actually, Trion's moderation has been worlds better than Turbine even with the changes. No comparison, really. The key is differing definitions of "toxic." Whether things stay that way is another story entirely.

Actually, Trion's moderation has been worlds better than Turbine even with the changes. No comparison, really. The key is differing definitions of "toxic." Whether things stay that way is another story entirely.

What's amazing is how often the devs jump into conversations and mix with the players in the forums.  It's very cool and civilized-like.

I have purchased a few mounts, which is strange as I never normally do that!

Right?  It's like it's all laid back, and they don't get up in your face with the store, and then you're perfectly fine with handing them some benjamins.

Biggest pita is glyph ... Every time I login, I'll have to enter a code to "confirm" my location via a code they send me by email. Once I finally made it into the game, my character is coin locked ... so I need to enter a second key.

Tried to uninstall glyph, sadly I can't play rift at all without glyph (or I'm doing it wrong)

I now started having this issue too. I lost my internet yesterday and my IP got changed. So now they want a key from me, but the biggest issue is that they haven't sent me any keys for over a day now.

I checked forums, apparently people have to wait for those keys for many hours sometimes. Eventually they arrive, and you get a key for each time you clicked "resend key", so I think I will get some 50 emails from them at some point.

But it looks like no Rift for me this weekend.

A rather annoying technical issue.

I wonder if this is related to their load from ArcheAge. It's running from Glyph too, right? Maybe their Glyph servers can't handle it anymore.

It seems that their customer support is similarly lagging right now. There are posts on their forum about 5 weeks+ customer support queues.

Yeah, I have absolutely no doubt the huge tech support/customer service backlog in Rift has direct relation to the problems with ArcheAge. Trion had to fly more servers to Europe to help with load and are still hiring more tech support reps, as far as I know. Complaint threads on the main OF alongside the sticky "Customer Service Wait Times."

Honestly, I can only wonder what will happen when Rift 3.0 releases in early October, hmm. If you're not having issues, just count your lucky stars, I guess. Or just duck and wait, as I usually do.

I didn't really find 50 to 60 that much slower once I geared up to be honest.

There is such a big gear jump from 49 to 50 it does make it harder to fight, but once you have a few pieces of SL dropped equipment it gets much easier, trash drops in SL zones can be better than epic dungeon drops from old zones, not only because the stats are higher but because there are stats on SL gear that are not on old gear.

The big mistake people make when they start in the SL zones is to carry on the way they were before doing IA's and dungeons for XP, this doesn't give as much XP in SL as it did in the old zones. You have to adjust your levelling technique once you hit 50, quest chains and hunt rifts are where the XP is at in SL, once you understand that it's not that much slower.

Yeah, I didn't have much problem in the 50-60 zones; for one, there are two SL continents, and I noticed many players just pick one and don't bother with the other. I hop between them for quests, although it makes keeping track of the underlying story quests slightly confusing here and there, but xp isn't a problem; not to mention doubling up quest rewards, some of which are decent cosmetic sets, or provide crafting mats from break-down. Trion has also adjusted the SL mob difficulty and xp gains at least twice, I think.

By the way, most people would say skip Ember Isle (old level 50 cap, like Angmar), but I say if you like more backstory/lore stuff, do those quests. That's another decent chunk of xp right there, though the old quest rewards aren't so useful for leveling anymore. EI is more difficult for a fresh 49-whatever because the mobs are, I think, level 52, but I did the initial Storm Legion quest chains for the level 50 SL gear, then went back and did EI.

I followed these advices after 50, now I'm at 55, and I got to say I'm enjoying Rift much more now. I was pretty bored of it by mid 40s. But Ember Island and Storm Legion story lines are just so much more fun. Zones have way more character, they have local tribes / cities with their own issues and lifestyles, and story lines are interesting. Quest mechanics are more diverse as well.

Before 50, it seemed like every zone had some sort of cult that was causing more or less the same issues, and I had to kill a bunch of cultists and then kill some leader. It was ok once, twice, but later it was just deja vu again and again.

Also, Ember Islands and Storm Legion towns and cities look mostly like towns and cities. Pre-50, it was often just a bunch of NPCs camping in some place that made no sense, and sometimes they didn't even have tents or fires.

A much better experience.

By the way, what's the deal with hunt rifts? I was invited to a group yesterday, I did 10 or so, got some achievements. XP was ok, but not great compared to story quests, and they seemed pretty boring. Is it just a matter of taste and an option for people who hate questing? Do people do them to collect currencies for lvl 60? Or is there some additional reason for doing them?

By the way, what's the deal with hunt rifts? I was invited to a group yesterday, I did 10 or so, got some achievements. XP was ok, but not great compared to story quests, and they seemed pretty boring. Is it just a matter of taste and an option for people who hate questing? Do people do them to collect currencies for lvl 60? Or is there some additional reason for doing them?

Hunt Rifts can be done to get Notoriety with certain groups, earn gear, etc. They are all really leading to the Raid-sized Great Hunt Rifts, though. It's just another form of dynamic content in Rift, something you can do if you like, or ignore if you prefer.

• Upvote 1

Hunt rifts are a great source of income, but primarily they are the easiest and best way to get the two most important reputations in game, torvan and lycini, there are certain best in slot (gearing up for endgame raiding and beyond)items that can only be purchased through those rep vendors including upgradable epic cloaks and epic essences among other things.

• Upvote 1

Glad you're enjoying it, Kirmis! About raid rifts. There are some "unspoken" rules about those things that you need to figure out (search/read/ask on Rift forums) and make sure are communicated clearly when starting a PUG raid rift...such as--it's not uncommon for the raid leader who has the rift lure to run it master loot and take the greatest spoils.

• Upvote 1

Glad you're enjoying it, Kirmis!

About raid rifts. There are some "unspoken" rules about those things that you need to figure out (search/read/ask on Rift forums) and make sure are communicated clearly when starting a PUG raid rift...such as--it's not uncommon for the raid leader who has the rift lure to run it master loot and take the greatest spoils.

Yup, when raid and greater hunt rifts are arranged be prepared to not have a shot at the big ticket loot, the reason for this is actually justified in these circumstances because it's not just a matter of turning up at a rift with a raid, the leader actually has to buy a "key" which summons the rift and that's fairly expensive, so it's only fair they get the first pick.

Yup, when raid and greater hunt rifts are arranged be prepared to not have a shot at the big ticket loot, the reason for this is actually justified in these circumstances because it's not just a matter of turning up at a rift with a raid, the leader actually has to buy a "key" which summons the rift and that's fairly expensive, so it's only fair they get the first pick.

Yes, though also within reason, as there's a variety of possible loot that can drop, and I think different groups have different arrangements depending on what might drop, so... basically, I wouldn't attempt raid rifting until after doing some homework. :) But that's true for pretty much all raiding, eh.

There's that annoying mechanic where the difficulty of a raid rift increases dramatically when building the turrets, so it's also not uncommon for raids to NOT build defenses even though that appears the logical thing to do (people have been yelled at for trying to follow script). I don't know if Trion ever adjusted that, as it's been a while since I even participated in one.

There's that annoying mechanic where the difficulty of a raid rift increases dramatically when building the turrets, so it's also not uncommon for raids to NOT build defenses even though that appears the logical thing to do (people have been yelled at for trying to follow script). I don't know if Trion ever adjusted that, as it's been a while since I even participated in one.

The trick is to only build the conduits for the first stage, build nothing and keep the conduits alive in the second stage and when the boss spawns build the turrets to help take him down, doing it that way I can solo up to GH2 (sometimes 3 depending on which one it is) on my Rogue and duo GH3/4, still need a group at least for GH5 though.

The trick is to only build the conduits for the first stage, build nothing and keep the conduits alive in the second stage and when the boss spawns build the turrets to help take him down, doing it that way I can solo up to GH2 (sometimes 3 depending on which one it is) on my Rogue and duo GH3/4, still need a group at least for GH5 though.

Right right, basically the more defenses are built, the more difficult the mobs... Are the rewards also adjusted down, though? Maybe the crux of the issue I'm forgetting is that the rewards end up the same or very close, which makes the more difficult stages pointless. It makes no sense to promote this kind of degenerate gameplay by virtue of poor design. The incentives should be much better the more difficult the encounter, as influenced by players themselves. If the trick is still in full force, I wish Trion would fix that already. Ah well.

Right right, basically the more defenses are built, the more difficult the mobs... Are the rewards also adjusted down, though? Maybe the crux of the issue I'm forgetting is that the rewards end up the same or very close, which makes the more difficult stages pointless. It makes no sense to promote this kind of degenerate gameplay by virtue of poor design. The incentives should be much better the more difficult the encounter, as influenced by players themselves. If the trick is still in full force, I wish Trion would fix that already. Ah well.

Not harder, more of them spawning quicker. No the rewards aren't scaled although I think there is more loot if more people are involved. It's not actually a bug or exploit, it's working as intended, it's their way of scaling the rifts so you can do them in small groups or raids so a bigger spread of people can enjoy them, if you're in a small group and want to do the content then you do it without turrets, if you're a couple of groups and want a challenge you ramp up the turrets, unfortunately a majority of gamers lately seem to want quick and easy so they get done without turrets even if a full raid is present.

Not harder, more of them spawning quicker. No the rewards aren't scaled although I think there is more loot if more people are involved. It's not actually a bug or exploit, it's working as intended, it's their way of scaling the rifts so you can do them in small groups or raids so a bigger spread of people can enjoy them, if you're in a small group and want to do the content then you do it without turrets, if you're a couple of groups and want a challenge you ramp up the turrets, unfortunately a majority of gamers lately seem to want quick and easy so they get done without turrets even if a full raid is present.

Ah, I see. It's still degenerative game design, though, in the sense of encouraging the quickest shortcuts, but eh...not as bad as the Instant Adventure design where the missions get harder with more people in the group (right?) but people end up going AFK to let the others do the work for them, soaking up xp in the process. Not sure how that can even be fixed.

Well. At least there are lots of content options in Rift if someone doesn't care for those particular bits!