LOTROCommunity

No, You're Not Entitled To Your Opinion

Just an article that I enjoyed addressing the people who conflate "I have a right to my opinion" with "my argument is valid".

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/no-youre-not-entitled-your-opinion

Honestly, I think pretty much everyone here (not counting the occasional fly-by-night trolls) already understands this concept, so consider it preaching to the choir, but I thought I'd share anyway.

It only works until you find someone who just won't argue their point and stonewalls any question of it, even going so far as to try to make you look stupid for asking for a better explanation.  Those you just can't reason with.

That is too fucking true. The number of times I'm clashing with someone here and they try to bail or close it down with 'well that's my opinion', like it makes it an untouchable truth or something. Back that shit up or your opinion is less than useless to me.

That is too fucking true. The number of times I'm clashing with someone here and they try to bail or close it down with 'well that's my opinion', like it makes it an untouchable truth or something. Back that shit up or your opinion is less than useless to me.

That's just your opinion....

Opinions are important in science, aunts to invention even (curiosity being the mother).

So yeah, opinions can be handy when an experienced well-studied person comes up with a hypothesis.......... 

Then they should be limited to what lunch should be between experiments... yarr!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps they're bailing because you're being an asshole and they can't see any further point in trying to engage? A Freudian might read something into the fact that you chose the word "clashing" rather than, say, "discussing". No, you're not always like that. But sometimes you damn well have been. So, sometimes, maybe it's you, not them.

Perhaps they're bailing because you're being an asshole and they can't see any further point in trying to engage? A Freudian might read something into the fact that you chose the word "clashing" rather than, say, "discussing". No, you're not always like that. But sometimes you damn well have been. So, sometimes, maybe it's you, not them.

Nah, it's them.

But I said clashing instead of discussing because a discussion requires two parties. No such thing when they refuse to back up their point and use the excuse of 'opinion' like they get a free pass.

But I said clashing instead of discussing because a discussion requires two parties. No such thing when they refuse to back up their point and use the excuse of 'opinion' like they get a free pass.

In fairness, that also is true!