LOTROCommunity

Pillars of Eternity (Project Eternity) - Infinity Engine homage

I searched and apparently there isn't a separate thread for the crowdfunded game Obsidian is bringing to fans of the old Infinity Engine games this winter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Funded 2012 (I backed)

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

I was quite active on the Obsidian forums while the game was just being Kickstarted and during embryonic theory/mechanics/philosophical/design discussion stages but wandered off since the alpha-beta "quiet" period is for development. It's currently in the beta testing phase, and though I have backer beta access, I haven't had the time to devote to properly testing it. Lots of beta and demo videos on Youtube, though. Anyone beta testing?

Can't wait. This is supposed to roll up all the "best" aspects of all three major Infinity Engine games, and I'm really hoping the PS:T homage shows through nicely. More pluses (from my point of view :P): No romances (should be moddable), no co-op/MP support (lots of dev discussions about how that takes away from the SP experience).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a problem with Kickstarter, it's the same issue I have with Steam early access. Once the company has your money for early access or potential development, where is the incentive to actually fin

I searched and apparently there isn't a separate thread for the crowdfunded game Obsidian is bringing to fans of the old Infinity Engine games this winter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Funded 2012 (I backed)

I was quite active on the Obsidian forums while the game was just being Kickstarted and during embryonic theory/mechanics/philosophical/design discussion stages but wandered off since the alpha-beta "quiet" period is for development. It's currently in the beta testing phase, and though I have backer beta access, I haven't had the time to devote to properly testing it. Lots of beta and demo videos on Youtube, though. Anyone beta testing?

Can't wait. This is supposed to roll up all the "best" aspects of all three major Infinity Engine games, and I'm really hoping the PS:T homage shows through nicely. More pluses (from my point of view :P): No romances (should be moddable), no co-op/MP support (lots of dev discussions about how that takes away from the SP experience).

Wish I'd known about this two years ago, but no matter.  I'll buy it when it gets released.  (Not inclined to pre-order anything that can't be returned if defective.)  Thanks for this info.

I loved all the Infinity Engine AD&D-based games.  Actually went out and bought my first PC in order to play BG.  (Had a nearly obsolete loaner from my job for occasional work from home that could handle Diablo I, but not much more.)   Planescape: Torment was by far the best even though it had the lowest replay value.  I did reinstall it and play through it again a few years ago, and had forgotten enough to make it feel more than 50% new - I remembered all the landscapes but had forgotten a lot of the details and much of the plot.  

Thanks again!

This could be fantastic!

I loved / hated Planescape Torment... I tried to be so very good in an effort to keep Nameless from his fate... no joy there. :(

Edit: I remember back in the day when I first played BG (don't recall if 1 or 2) and rolled a Half Orc Swashbuckler in dual wield = WooHoo!

My LOTRO Champ still feels the love. :)

Edit: Changed what might be a spoiler from PS: Torment... but it's very old Tril :)

Fitty! Spoilers! LOL :P (Edit: Heh, thanks Fitty. Yes, it's old, but it's still a "cult" classic because it never got the wide audience BG/IWD did. I really hope more people could try it out, but it doesn't play so fantastic on a lot of new PCs...)

I agree that PS:T had low replay value compared to the others, but it had enough considering the mind-bending depth involved: Party NPC combinations, and trying different stats on your character (all the attributes affected available dialogue options, but especially INT/WIS/CHA). It's still my favoritest thing despite shortcomings.

(Anyone who would like to try the old school Infinity Engine games, check out GOG.com. DRM free!)

Forgot, official website for Pillars: http://eternity.obsidian.net/

Official Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianEnt/videos

I won't link a demo/beta vid since there are so many (and some of the official demo interviews have spoilers, oops). I like going into a game know barely enough about the world lore but NOTHING about the story, even intro.

Having followed the development of this thing since the beginning on the Obsidian forums (and over 1000 posts, go me), I have to say it's been the best, most transparent communication between game developer and players ever, which makes sense given the crowdsourcing.

Scratch that, release has been pushed to "early 2015." Many suspected it might be, though, especially given beta banter, and I'm glad Obsidian went with that decision if they really do need the extra time. I just hope they don't run out of money before then since time = money. Ah well.

http://forums.obsidian.net/forum/87-pillars-of-eternity/

This is very dissapointing, (isn't it second time already they push release date?) althrough seeing some beta footage&comment I can understand why.   There is still many things that need to be fixed, improved or changed.

Yes, they delayed from earlier this year already. I'm disappointed, but I'm okay with it. Obsidian is in a tough situation with an already spotty reputation for buggy games (due largely to pushed release by publishers), but in terms of the total risk, I think delay is better to both appease backers and increase retail adoption of a final polished product. As far as I know, all the party companions have been written, and most if not all the text, which is most important to me considering I could handle a buggy PS:T back in the day. :P

• 3 months later...

Just posted on Obsidian's official website.

The final game will be released on March 26th, 2015! At that time you will be able to purchase it "for reals" on Steam, GOG, and other online retailers.

Sprint to the Finish

In these last few months the team is laser-focused on a few keys areas:

Polishing and Bugs. The entire team is busy fixing as many bugs as possible. We are also going through the existing content and polishing it up – check out the brigandine!

Finalization of... Everything. We are also in the process of finalizing everything from backer reward items to game boxes. It is quite a bit of stuff, but we are making great progress and everything is on track for the release date.

Showing Off the Game. In addition to finishing up the game and everything else surrounding it, we are also going to be showing off the game. We will be doing a live stream tomorrow at 1pm PST (21:00 GMT), on Paradox's Twitch page. Also look for us at PAX South later this month and PAX East in March (PAX East isn't confirmed yet) where some of the Pillars team will be giving a preview of the game and answering panel questions. It may even be live streamed!

Something came to light on the Obsidian OF a couple months ago, however, that really put a damper on my enthusiasm. It turns out the Collector's Book isn't limited to the $$$ Kickstarter tiers at all; the Collector's Book was a major reason to upgrade to higher backing tiers with the heavily implied assumption that the "Collector's" items are limited editions. This isn't the case for the book, which will be available to the general public through other retailers. So I intend on selling my box when I get it, keeping only the digital goodies.
  • 2 months later...

OK, might as well bump. Backers like myself can download the game now with our keys, but I'll wait a bit. Also, Obsidian decided to release the discs later so they could get a more "finalized" burn or something, so physical reward backers I believe are getting our other goods before the actual discs.

Other info about the game:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki

Looking good: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71674-pillars-of-eternity-is-number-one/

To be honest, I wouldn't have backed if the makers weren't seasoned industry veterans who understand game project management and how to handle a budget, especially in this day and age when so many studios no longer exist (Black Isle, Bioware - damn EA, etc.). A bunch of other crowdfunded computer games have failed because a couple guys who helped design and program part of a computer game decades ago still wouldn't know the business side of things, while Obsidian is a whole dev studio. Besides, they're banking their reputation on this (this made all sorts of gaming news back then), so I didn't worry about backing.

Crap, I suddenly have a lot of gaming to do. When I played the other IE games, I spent any time I could spare every day to play...

Hmm. Apparently the minimum system requirements were surreptitiously upped. :/

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71519-system-requirements-change/

But the manual lists the old requirements or something? That's very weird. Thing is, for an old-school isometric CRPG, I would never expect it to require a lot compared to other "modern" games. So I wonder what's going on.

^A dev responded to that thread, but I can't load anything now because Obsidian's forums are being completely hammered as the game released today. I'll wait a couple days and try to download it later. It's on the top sellers for both Steam and GOG, yay.

Edit

Nice: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity

Edited by Trilwych

Bump for justice. There's a thread just starting with different known "it works" specs, and it seems the actual requirements are squishy.

e.g.

Pentium Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram, and a 4 GB readyboost USB with Windows 7, 32-bit. Graphics card is a NVIDIA 750Ti

Win Vista 32bit

Core2 E6700

GTX 260

4 GB

I've been catching up with some older backer updates and finally got to the video clips that will be a part of the making-of documentary (which I think is backer only, but honestly I wouldn't mind for this to be released on the backers' dime). Now, admittedly I had little interest in that at the beginning, but these bits are amazingly honest--and transparency is great, like what Aylwen's been able to give us here, even a little bit. Being an independent game studio sure sounds hard. (But then, what happened with Bioware eaten by EA and Turbine eaten by WB, well, things must change; I'm glad Obsidian is still independent, though!)

This crowdfunded game saved Obsidian from closing its doors. Wow. Can the game industry realistically evolve with this? In retrospect, thank goodness Obsidian was forced down this path. I hope they could hire back some of the people they laid off.

This is one of my favorite backer updates, describing in general the job of a game producer and how a game is produced. Transparency is GREAT.

So: how fun is the game? I watched some combat video on Youtube. Looks interesting - but slow?

Depends on how you liked the Infinity Engine games. (Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale.) Difficulty can be adjusted, of course. I notice that the vast majority of negative user reviews are from people who literally complain it's too old-school: no full voice-overs, no 3D zoom rotating camera graphics, too much text to read, too micromanagey (like D&D style weapon type against enemy type), so on. There's no co-op/multiplayer mode (thank GOD). The party companions are expected to have a fair bit of their own development, but no cheesy fanfiction romances or Bioware sex scenes. You're expected to pause a fair bit to issue commands to party members as well. Stuff like that.

I haven't played yet because I just started downloading parts of my pack, and I know they have a patch planned for next week. But I know I'll like it. :P Because THIS is the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" that Bioware completely failed to deliver with Dragon Age.

@nosam9

Haven't manged to start to play yet. Will get you know later on.

Because THIS is the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" that Bioware completely failed to deliver with Dragon Age.

+1

Failed so much or actually IMHO they have not intended to make actual spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate in first place and just used "spiritual succesor" to make more sales.

@nosam9

Haven't manged to start to play yet. Will get you know later on.

+1

Failed so much or actually IMHO they have not intended to make actual spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate in first place and just used "spiritual succesor" to make more sales.

Yeah, they may have had intended the bait and switch. Either way, Bioware will never get another cent from me! I think there's a good chance Obsidian has a franchise on their hands now, at least.

For me, the Pillars game-play and atmosphere are just perfect, beating DAI hands down. In the DAI thread I wrote why EA will never get a penny out of me, but let's be fair - graphics and VO in DAI are excellent, Infinity is for OLD People (akhm...), and generally Inquisition is a very good game, just the micro-management is dreadful there, especially when compared to Pillars. 

but let's be fair - graphics and VO in DAI are excellent, Infinity is for OLD People (akhm...),

Considering that millions of  kids and young people play such games like Minecraft or even League of Legends which don't have good graphics then I do not agree.

Besides reading i.e. Steam reviews shows that players without previous expriences with "old school" RPGs also do play PoE and rate it positively. Sure most reviews are from folks which have played i.e. BG2, but not all of them. Some admit it's their first isometric "old school" rpg.

I generally think that old players vs new players division is overemphasised by media and old players themself.  I am sure there are plenty young folks that don't mind doing reading or thinking in a video game.  Sure they are in miniority, but such players always were a miniority even in so called "old days" of 90s/early 00s.

I like the look of the game. I just refuse to buy it. Companies using Kickstarter is so wrong to me, especially when they freely admit they had people coming in to the office and just sitting around before starting the Kickstarter. So money wasn't an issue. They just used it as an easy way to save their company (from their own incompetence, it seems), not to make a game. Not to mention that god-awful video they made about how sad they all were, with sad music and sad faces all talking really seriously about how they can't run a company with begging for donations.

And not only did they get damn near $4 million from Kickstarter (4 times their funded goal), they also charge an arm and a leg for different versions of the game... all of which are digital. Nope, I can't get on board with this.

I decided to check it out.

My verdict, at least so far, is fairly "meh". Not terrible by any means, but not great either.

I mean, it definitely looks and plays like a 10-year-old dungeon-crawler video game. No doubt they have brought the look and feel of the Infinity Engine back to life. The combat/game mechanics, which are no longer D&D-based, seem pretty good.

On the other hand, the story-telling, as least to the point I've reached, is hardly anything special. Sometimes the writing is pretty good. Other times it is jarringly bad. The world itself and the overarching plot aren't particularly compelling to me.

I played about 6 hours. I'm still only level 3, with 1 activated class ability. Granted, I'm not trying to power-level, and I'm exploring each zone I go through pretty thoroughly, but the progression seems pretty slow.

At this point, I think I might prefer to play Dragon Age 2, or Dragon Age Inquisition, neither of which I've finished, simply because of the far superior eye-candy and faster pacing.