LOTROCommunity

Pillars of Eternity (Project Eternity) - Infinity Engine homage

Trilwych

I have a problem with Kickstarter, it's the same issue I have with Steam early access. Once the company has your money for early access or potential development, where is the incentive to actually finish the game to a high quality? I mean they have your money already, doesn't really matter to them anymore how good the game is.

I would add pre-order, founder-packs and alpha/beta access selling to this list as well.

Crowd funding is definately a way that make customers lose at least part of their leverage on company making the product.

In case of crowdsourced/kickstarted purely box/b2p single player game without things like cash shop or tonnes of small paid DLCs  like Pillars of Eternity main way of making additional revenue&profit is to sell game to more consumers.  Of course that is not any kind of guarantee that product will be good, as creators could have their business model based on de-facto defrauding crowdsourced money and putting out cheap, bad product.

Said all that I am personally happy that Pillars of Eternity was created. I will say my 2cents about game itself later on.

• 2 weeks later...

Few quasirandom thoughts provoked by reading this thread, and a few user reviews.

1. I have to say that I am happy that I didn't invest in this kickstarter at the time. Characters are by and large bland, storyline so-so, immersion/pull factor lacking. It may be "faithful" to iwd1/2 in a way, at least story-wise. I haven't replayed bg1 for years, so I don't know whether that game "was" better, or that it is just a case of my expectations being lower at the time, and them have changed along with the changes in game companies' ideas about what makes for a good gaming experience.

2. personally, I don't really have principled objections to crowd funding, other than insofar as I'm lining the pockets of companies whose business model is rent extraction. And KickStarter, as an intermediary, demands a pretty big cut for bullshit 'services', which makes me not want to back projects this way. In the case of Obsidian, specifically, I do think that they're trying to have their cake and eat it. I think the various arguments about "it wouldn't be fair to backers who paid a premium price" don't really hold water, as that assumes that the only reason to back some project is to pay a lower price, as opposed to making something possible that otherwise wouldn't have happened, etc.. I would be happy to pay something on the order of €5-7 for this game, but not a great deal more. Yes, quite a bit of work went into it, and you can get a lot of play time out of it, but so far (30ish hours played) I can't really say I'm getting much else out of it other than passed time. Too bad, i guess.