LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Altreg01

So this happened in /World yesterday

I bet people who defend lotro like that haven't played any other mmo since lotro went f2p or simply don't want to know what other games have to offer.

Otherwise I don't see how people can seriously accept or even defend the path the devs have chosen for this game.

Or perhaps they do it to get a rise out of people, because it's how they get off, trolling others.  Trolling others in game is probably more fun than the game itself at this point. 

I've been a part of many online gaming communities.  I find that those that defend poor decisions by developing studios are doing it for one of 3 (or all 3) reasons:

1.   To stupid to know better, player doesn't use the features in question, or

2.   They do it because they feel the developer will notice them, that in a huge community they will stand out from the rest.  We had two or three  players like this in another game I played.  And guess what it worked.  They were flown out to the studio and allowed to test before other players.

3.  Some people like trolling others.  You can't tell me the Lotro Elite did not get off on telling others they were wrong, that their opinions were shit and seeing them flame.  They did it so often there is no other explanation for it.  They relished those moments which is why they always return with rebuttals no matter who proves them wrong, the CM included.

Yes DOP and his senile wife are on E.  There was another whose name is tossed around about the O-forums who was actively part of the bashfest, I believe it was Gunstan...Gunston??  

Just amazes me that as this game clings to life its staunchest defenders are telling people to quit.  E was once a top 3 server, now its bottom 3.

And if you really think Mounted Combat is an awesome mechanic then you are definitely brainwashed.  Look turbine has served up another festering pile of shit, but who cares theres sweet corn in it!!! Yummmmy!!!!

And if you really think Mounted Combat is an awesome mechanic then you are definitely brainwashed.  Look turbine has served up another festering pile of shit, but who cares theres sweet corn in it!!! Yummmmy!!!!

And you've never played a burglar. MC on a burg has got to be one of the worst experiences in video game history.

And you've never played a burglar. MC on a burg has got to be one of the worst experiences in video game history.

Indeed. Same with the guardian.

When I brought this up back then, the usual suspects responded with the usual non-sense that illustrated that some people simply can't be bothered by not having the first clue, ie: "I Don't Have This Problem On My Captain", "I Think MC Is Super-Fun On The Lore-Master", "I Would Very Much Like Mounted Instances", etc.

This was, BTW, the same people that complained in other threads that somehow Bugud and that other mounted war-band was too difficult for them, seeing they were unable to read their logs and figure out that maybe dismounting them first thing should have helped...

SNy

Indeed. Same with the guardian.

When I brought this up back then, the usual suspects responded with the usual non-sense that illustrated that some people simply can't be bothered by not having the first clue, ie: "I Don't Have This Problem On My Captain", "I Think MC Is Super-Fun On The Lore-Master", "I Would Very Much Like Mounted Instances", etc.

This was, BTW, the same people that complained in other threads that somehow Bugud and that other mounted war-band was too difficult for them, seeing they were unable to read their logs and figure out that maybe dismounting them first thing should have helped...

SNy

Oh god, the calls for mounted instances... I'd forgotten about those.  I'm so glad that never happened.

...but.....but......you can ride around and not get attacked.....but, yeah, the DPS stinks!

My main on Meneldor is a burg. Hated MC on him to death

Oh god, the calls for mounted instances... I'd forgotten about those.  I'm so glad that never happened.

MC is just another forgotten gimmick. It will soon fade away like skirms'

MC is just another forgotten gimmick. It will soon fade away like skirms'

We use the lag steeds to get out of the map. Otherwise, it is completely forgotten. Skirms on the other hand aren't that bad to level with so they're not completely worthless. Fucking boring, but not worthless.

I love telling the story of my burg in mounted combat.  It lasted about 10 mobs.   I only reached level 84 1/100th because I skipped EVERY MC quest or mob.  Had to skirm my way through the last level.  My guardian suffered through it painfully as well.  I never died but the battles took quite a while on other DPS toons I was making 3 to 4 passes.  On my guard 14 at times.  I took several of my toons through MC.  A hunter, an RK, a warden, a champ and the 2 above.  I never told myself that this was something I wanted to do on a regular basis.  And yes I was the asshole Warden soloing Bugud on foot. 

There was even a point when I deconned my Bridle and replaced it with a regular weapon on most toons.  After about 2 months of farming Bugud for a symbol I finally gave up on that losing scratch ticket.   Banners anyone? 

I think skirm was another good idea poorly implemented. I never thought anything could have worse AI than the npcs that fight, but Skirm soldiers proved me wrong.  I really think this could have been corrected by having 2 soldiers available and hoping 1 was smart enough to not be obliterated or stuck.  The idea that one player can finish an instance was interesting.   Better AI and the addition of extra soldiers would have improved it vastly.   It's gotten about as much work done to it as PVP which is..........pretty much nothing.  Sure they added a few new ones (mostly by turning moria quests solo) but they never really revisited revamping it at any time.  Just more opportunity wasted...par for the course.

• Upvote 1

MC on any melee class is horrible. It's much better on ranged classes. 

Using /follow made it much less horrible, but then they broke follow. I recently decided to take a couple of toons through Western Rohan, and it seems now that the MoBs are programmed to head straight for the nearest enemy when you put them on follow. At one point, I had like 5 mounted guys against me. Needless to say, I died. And then I logged, because it just wasn't fun.

My guardian suffered through it painfully as well.  I never died but the battles took quite a while on other DPS toons I was making 3 to 4 passes.  On my guard 14 at times. 

Glad to know it's not just me.  I'm levelling a guardian and I hate mounted combat.  I don't take the quests anymore it's such a cruddy experience for me.  Thought it was just me not understanding or missing some vital aspect of it.

I love telling the story of my burg in mounted combat.  It lasted about 10 mobs.   I only reached level 84 1/100th because I skipped EVERY MC quest or mob.  Had to skirm my way through the last level.  My guardian suffered through it painfully as well.  I never died but the battles took quite a while on other DPS toons I was making 3 to 4 passes.  On my guard 14 at times.  I took several of my toons through MC.  A hunter, an RK, a warden, a champ and the 2 above.  I never told myself that this was something I wanted to do on a regular basis.  And yes I was the asshole Warden soloing Bugud on foot. 

There was even a point when I deconned my Bridle and replaced it with a regular weapon on most toons.  After about 2 months of farming Bugud for a symbol I finally gave up on that losing scratch ticket.   Banners anyone? 

I think skirm was another good idea poorly implemented. I never thought anything could have worse AI than the npcs that fight, but Skirm soldiers proved me wrong.  I really think this could have been corrected by having 2 soldiers available and hoping 1 was smart enough to not be obliterated or stuck.  The idea that one player can finish an instance was interesting.   Better AI and the addition of extra soldiers would have improved it vastly.   It's gotten about as much work done to it as PVP which is..........pretty much nothing.  Sure they added a few new ones (mostly by turning moria quests solo) but they never really revisited revamping it at any time.  Just more opportunity wasted...par for the course.

On the note of skirmishes - they could have gone really far with this feature. Compared to traditional instances they're probably really cheap and easy to make (look at how many were released with Mirkwood if you want proof that Turbine can pump out a lot of them at once). They weren't everyone's cup of tea but a fair few liked them (and more probably would if we weren't stuck repeating the same ones since 2009 for the most part). They seem to scale easily as well. Could have been a great way to regularly add content to the game that was repeatable. But noooo, we can't have that now can we?

MC on any melee class is horrible. It's much better on ranged classes. 

Using /follow made it much less horrible, but then they broke follow. I recently decided to take a couple of toons through Western Rohan, and it seems now that the MoBs are programmed to head straight for the nearest enemy when you put them on follow. At one point, I had like 5 mounted guys against me. Needless to say, I died. And then I logged, because it just wasn't fun.

It's not bad at all on a Champ, I can 1 shot mobs just by blowing my horn. BEEP! BEEP!

Same with cappy and warden, but burg and guard are absolutely horrible.

As I played through RoR with my burg first of all, not knowing how much better the other classes were kind of made for a very dull and underwhelming experience - either I was able to 1-shot a mob or it took a lot of riding around etc. 

Then again, I've always gone through lotro content first on my burglar so I'm used to delaying the feeling of disappointment.

On the note of skirmishes - they could have gone really far with this feature. Compared to traditional instances they're probably really cheap and easy to make (look at how many were released with Mirkwood if you want proof that Turbine can pump out a lot of them at once). They weren't everyone's cup of tea but a fair few liked them (and more probably would if we weren't stuck repeating the same ones since 2009 for the most part). They seem to scale easily as well. Could have been a great way to regularly add content to the game that was repeatable. But noooo, we can't have that now can we?

Exactly my feeling on skirms...but no they are long forgotten.  Hope they revive skirms and forget about BBs

The game engine is actually a serious limitation. From the start you can tell that it's a horribly aged piece of shit. What Blizzard's team has done with their 2002 engine is amazing, and worth a mention in a textbook about game design somewhere. What Turbine has done with their 2002(or 2004) engine is to just let it ferment.

WoW: From http://i8.tinypic.com/25k6geg.jpg to http://images.v-media.eu/world-of-warcraft/wow_wod_frostfeuergrat.jpg

Lotro: From

to this monstrosity: http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae338/zalladi/LOTRO/DolAmrothOuter_zps438846db.jpg

Combine that with clunky NPCs, trash item design (greater resolute items that scale far too powerfully for low levels), 6-year old legendary weapon system still in use, trash quest design (Archet level 1: Kill X bristlehide boars, Galtrev Level 68 Kill X Boars with the exact same skin) Turbine's wooden servers (10 people fighting in the Etts = reduced awareness for the entire server) endless Solo quests that defeat the purpose of grouping with anybody, no raids and no PvP updates and the result is you questioning why people still play this fucking game. And why do they bother leveling when it's pretty much known that the later the expansion the worse the game gets? Why boost EXP when at the end there is just an endless daily quest grind for gear to do nothing with but PvP in an ignored zone? God I could just go on forever and ever and I'll still be surprised and sad when this game shuts down.

And before anyone asks I don't play WoW.

Where is that picture from? Looks like a reject from WoW from when they started? :-(

PJ.

Where is that picture from? Looks like a reject from WoW from when they started? :-(

PJ.

That's early footage of Middle Earth Online, originally Vivendi was developing LOTRO alongside Turbine, they called it MEE originally, but they got the boot and Turbine took over and made a lot of changes including the name, it was a very different game back then, some might say better.

PJ.

correct, it's from one of the earlier alpha versions of WoW

That's early footage of Middle Earth Online, originally Vivendi was developing LOTRO alongside Turbine, they called it MEE originally, but they got the boot and Turbine took over and made a lot of changes including the name, it was a very different game back then, some might say better.

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant The picture not the video :)

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant The picture not the video :)

Clearer than 'where is that picture from'? That's just crazy talk.