LOTROCommunity

When MMOs Slip Into Maintenance Mode...

bucko39

Not everyone.

I would not continue playing microtransactioned Lotro, even if they would keep Eriador quality, kept servers in EU, resigned from game tokenization ,updated servers performance and updated character models.

Yes, microtransactions sipped fun of playing Lotro that much for me.

What if a sub would completely have negated the need to use the cash shop (i.e. all things in the cash shop were things availible free for VIPs)

No, but that the only things in the cash shop was bag-space, vault-space, quest packs, classes, instance clusters and such, all availible free to subs.

If the ONLY (like literally ONLY, no cosmetics, no xp or other enchancers, no armor,weapons, mounts, no potions,  no housing or craft item no other in-game items, no gold selling including PLEX-like selling,  no real money auction house, even no things like additional animations or something)  things in CS would be bag&vault space and world parts (regions, dungeons, etc)  then yeah I could play something like that.

I would propably not pay sub though, but play as person buying access to parts of world from "Cash Shop"

I don't think any company would decide on that kind of model in MMOPRG though.    (unless they would figure out how to make a game in which you may need to endlessly buy more vault&bad space for $ regularly, but then I would not play it )

If the ONLY (like literally ONLY, no cosmetics, no xp or other enchancers, no armor,weapons, mounts, no potions,  no housing or craft item no other in-game items, no gold selling including PLEX-like selling,  no real money auction house, even no things like additional animations or something)  things in CS would be bag&vault space and world parts (regions, dungeons, etc)  then yeah I could play something like that.

I would propably not pay sub though, but play as person buying access to parts of world from "Cash Shop"

I don't think any company would decide on that kind of model in MMOPRG though.    (unless they would figure out how to make a game in which you may need to endlessly buy more vault&bad space for $ regularly, but then I would not play it )

Exactly this.

A cash shop should be an alternative option to a subscription. But many games are being greedy and making it so that even subscribers are required to pay extra to experience the full game. Those games will never get any money from me.

this game's fate was sealed with the introduction of the Solo Play update (the one that was meant for Wardens to be able to solo fucking everything) & the Lotro Store.

Had those 2 crucial moments not happened, I wonder how radically different this game would've turned out. 

What is better for Turbine in the long run? The increase in short-term revenue or the massive subscription bleed? When was the last wave of layoffs in Turbine?

Ironically I believed at the time and actually still do that F2P could of actually made Lotro a much more successful game IF it had been implemented in the right way.

As for selling items that give an advantage.. again I am not and never have been overly bothered. 

Lotro is a PvE game.. so what items somebody else is using really has no effect on you. 

If somebody wants to pay say $50 for an item of armour that gives slightly better stats then what can be acquired in game and then is deemed to be useless 10 levels later, I couldn't careless. 

If you start to get guilds demanding that you have one of these items.. leave. 

I would be fine with all of this so long as 2 requirements are met. 

Any items purchased in store would not be allowed in PvP and they put the money earned back into the game. 

this game's fate was sealed with the introduction of the Solo Play update (the one that was meant for Wardens to be able to solo fucking everything) & the Lotro Store.

Had those 2 crucial moments not happened, I wonder how radically different this game would've turned out. 

What is better for Turbine in the long run? The increase in short-term revenue or the massive subscription bleed? When was the last wave of layoffs in Turbine?

I think the games fate was sealed long before that. 

I actually believe it started with the MoM and let me explain.

The introduction of Radiance, the very poor implementation of the LI System and the ridiculous amount of bugs that went months without being fix left a very bitter taste in a lot of players mouths. 

I can't remember if they then messed around with skills just before Loth was released with with its released but that pissed off a lot people, especially Captains. 

After that everything things just got worse and worse but I would say the rot started with MOM.

• Upvote 1

I think the games fate was sealed long before that. 

I actually believe it started with the MoM and let me explain.

The introduction of Radiance, the very poor implementation of the LI System and the ridiculous amount of bugs that went months without being fix left a very bitter taste in a lot of players mouths. 

I can't remember if they then messed around with skills just before Loth was released with with its released but that pissed off a lot people, especially Captains. 

After that everything things just got worse and worse but I would say the rot started with MOM.

I agree.  Each big update and expansion I've experienced made Lotro worse overally.   Mirkwood had put final nail in Lotro as virtual world and made it purely simple solo rpg game with group end game and it brought fundament of cheap, trash, grind Lotro future in forms of Skirmish system, that was later used through whole Lotro  (dungeons scaling, big battles and generally a paradigm that game should be about personal grinding easy content ad nauseum  ).

• Upvote 1

Exactly this.

A cash shop should be an alternative option to a subscription. But many games are being greedy and making it so that even subscribers are required to pay extra to experience the full game. Those games will never get any money from me.

I first started playing just as F2P launched. I didn't mind the model used but after a few months of playing I quickly realised that being VIP was a rip off and that it was better to be premium and purchase quest packs when they were on sale. As time went by I did however start to become narked, then annoyed and eventually exasperated with LOTRO's model. As a VIP (I stupidly bought a year's worth when first starting) I didn't feel very vip, but milked. I was enjoying the game immensely but my annoyance at the cash grab for all the nice things was the beginning of the end for me.

I remember posting something on the OF to the effect that as a subscriber I didn't think VIP gave enough and that it was disgusting that VIPs had to put up with such things as festival quests being on long cool downs unless you use mithril coins to reset.  Suffice it to say the usual suspects shouted that down and said VIPs got more than enough. On other threads in Suggestions where I complained that certain store items cost too much, or should be cheaper for VIPs, again I was shouted down by the usual suspects.

I agree with Doro above; a subscriber should be able to earn everything that is for sale the store in game, including storage, the class mounts and permanent speed increases through gameplay.

I firmly blame the players for Turbine screwing them. Not enough complained about the ridiculous prices/ screwing of VIPs and when people did, they were told they were wrong and that Turbine's prices were just right.  After all they have to make a profit to keep the game going and they don't begrudge them that. With comments like those, why the hell would they change anything it it is obviously working? Some people are so in love with the ideology of capitalism they ask to be ripped off.

I firmly blame the players for Turbine screwing them. 

I tend to agree with this.  There seems to be two extremes that sometimes dominate the forums...but I think the devoted Turbine apologist causes more harm as they drown out much needed constructive criticism and feedback that could make the game better.