LOTROCommunity

oculus rift is going to play a huge part in the next 5 years of LOTRO

Ifreborn

turbine will sell lotro branded foam weapons with Bluetooth embedded in them.  These weapons will allow you to interact with the world like never before.

LOTRO will be the number 1 MMO no only in the USA and EUROPE  but the world due to its embracing of VR and the rift.

The magic moment will be when players have to convert IRL money to Paypal Credits to Facebook Credits to Oculus Rift Credits to Turbine Points to Mithril Coins to get BIG GIANT GLOW-IN-THE-DARK GHOST SHREW (and the shrew will obviously be covered in Extra Life logos). That's when LotrO will finally be the WoW-killer people were talking about back in 2007.

There are some problems with this prediction.  I'm not sure where to start, actually.  I don't think I will.

Can I?

The Rift is built for a controller, you cannot see your own hands let alone figure out the keys on a keyboard, it's very disorientating. Apart from the obvious answer that Turbine wont do this, Lotro isn't built for it and you would have to play in the first person which really sucks in Lotro, Occulus Rift isn't built for anything other than a controller.

turbine will sell lotro branded foam weapons with Bluetooth embedded in them.  These weapons will allow you to interact with the world like never before.

LOTRO will be the number 1 MMO no only in the USA and EUROPE  but the world due to its embracing of VR and the rift.

I remember VR from the mid 80's and is wasn't good then it still isn't. The masses do not want to spend hours with something attached to their heads. Look at 3D T.V. another failed rehash and that only required people to wear glasses.

I played an excellent VR game in japan a long time ago. We were seated in jeeps, with the VR headset and a plastic handgun which was tracked and reproduced in the game. So we could see a reconstruction of our arm moving, and point and shoot at things around us while the jeep was moving. Think virtual safari, with dinosaurs attacking you. That would make a great funfair attraction, but I don't think anyone would want that at home.

. That would make a great funfair attraction, but I don't think anyone would want that at home.

and i think that is the crux of the issue with 3D and VR. Both had been tried with varying levels of success, but when applied to home appliances 3D seems to have fell by the wayside, not only 18 months ago the buzz for it was still very high and yet very few channels offer full 3D productions. It's great as a fad and something to "go see" but having to wear those glasses verytime you want to watch something or a headset everytime you want to game is just a step too far yet for people. I always remember those VR sets they had on Tomorrows World in the 80's they where going to be commonplace in the near future a bit like i keep hearing of Oculus Rift - the next big thing but really is Joe Normal ready for it?

3D will probably expand slowly. I barely go see movies which aren't 3D these days, and usually watch non-3D movies at home. VR is a different thing, as in I can't even think of  good VR game beyond a simple gimmick.

The point of a game, any game, is to:

• discover stuff
  • try to perform actions
  • have fun

You can't realistically make an interface for a 3D set where you "get better at playing". You can still have nice things to discover and display, but then a good screen or even a 3D game should be enough and less inconvenient.

I have used the Oculus playing EVE Valkyrie and sure it was fun but I do not think it will ever become mainstream. 

3D is a fad that comes around every 10 - 15 years.

I remember about 20 years ago playing on a full virtual reality arcade machine and it had the same hype as Oculus Rift does now. 

I think there's a market for VR games.

Not tab-target skill-heavy classic MMOs though.

The space sims under development has huge potential, preferably in a combination with programs like Voice Attack.

The creepy-scary games we've seen quite a bit of lately (Alien:Isolation, Outlast, Evil Within) could also be fun with VR.