LOTROCommunity

More layoffs at Turbine? (Massively article)

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WOW!! how much are they paying you?

What's rather sad is how this forum reacts to people who continue to play lotro. I certainly don't have to justify to any of you my reasons for doing so. Not surprising that people such as Brokk left

I have no intention of trying to document that a stalker who had been bothering me for a long time went to obsessive lengths to trace my posts on the OF to my posts here to 'prove' that I was somehow

you are a terrorist troll.  

why cant you people let turbine be.  you are all bullies and hate mongers and further more you are misogynistic woman haters who live in your moms basement.

I don't live in my mom's basement !!11!1!!128

On a side note:

They greatly increased the 'communication' events at the time of the hobbit runs to Isengard and later through Moria, as well as the additional live streams with Sapience first and now Frelorn. Months ago they said they want to do this and they did it. Which is great.

The problem is, the informational value of these is close to zero. Taking a look at that:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?554350-Frelorn-Q-amp-A-from-Livestreams&p=7247382#post7247382

Almost all questions have an answer along the lines of "I don't know but I'll ask around." Luckily, he could answer whether he's doing live streams and which games he plays...

Snip......

I think Frelorn has too much on his plate for this live stream nonsense.  Video game development is month to month not week to week.  After a while the questions get redundant when you hold these events on even a monthly basis.  I think a lot of the nonsense questions kind of muck up the usefulness of the stream, but I think we can allow for some fun questions. 

If I was organizing these streams they would only be scheduled before content releases/major fixes.  This way there is a lot more meat and potatoes to the questions answered.  Also gives Frelorn plenty of time to prepare for what kinds of questions he may face. 

As a salesperson I can tell you that we use that "I don't know but I'll ask around." comment for very detailed questions.  It's a salesperson tactic.  What it says is "I don't know everything about the product but I know other folks more experienced I can use as a tool."  If you are using it more than 1 or 2 times in a conversation you should probably not be selling that product.

He uses it when he responds to this question:

"How much will Central Gondor cost and will the Beorning come with it like the wardens did with Moria? "

And really this is a question he should be able to answer in beta 1 build.  The problem is that they like to play with the pricing in the beta builds.  I don't see what the advantage is to being vague on pricing when it comes to upcoming updates?  Set a price and stick by it. 

I will agree that a bunch of it sounds like noise.  Bear mounts for Beornlings?  Could Beornings have pet rabbits which hop on their backs? Trolling or stupid? 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the layoff have been with customer services. English phone support is going to be 2pm till 6pm Monday-Friday now.

Hello everyone,

Starting on November 10th, English Phone Support hours will be changing. Phone Support will be available from 2:00 PM Eastern time until 6:00 PM Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

If you have an urgent issue or are unable to get in touch with a live agent during those hours, you will have the opportunity to leave us a voicemail. Please leave us a clear message with your name, username, phone number, and a brief description of your issue, and an agent will attempt to get back to you at the next available opportunity or a time you specify if possible.

You can also fill out a ticket at the support site listed in my signature and we will get back to you via email. Additionally, you can tweet us @lotro and add –CS at the end so one of our support agents will be better able to see your tweet!

As always, we appreciate your feedback. You can send us a feedback ticket by selecting the ‘Question Type’ Feedback when submitting a ticket through the web, or by responding to the survey you are sent after a Customer Service Agent has responded to your ticket.

-Coldblue

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7259480#post7259480

Looks like the layoff have been with customer services. English phone support is going to be 2pm till 6pm Monday-Friday now.

Wow.  I wonder what happens when that guy has to call in sick, or his temp agency reassigns him.

Sounds like they should just go all in and phase out phone support entirely.  Cutting it down to a half-day just seems redundant.

Sounds like they should just go all in and phase out phone support entirely.  Cutting it down to a half-day just seems redundant.

Especially if it is always the same half day in one randomly picked timezone for a game that is marketed worldwide.

While this may not affect Europe so much, there are other time zones that will not benefit from the change.  C'est la vie.

Of course, when you bring up the topic of the layoffs and their affect on LOTRO, the usual responses from players of various degrees of dependency or self-importance:

"You're just making that up.  You have no facts." (Many of the facts concerning the effects of Turbine's dealings have been documented.)

"They only laid off people from phone support." (Tell that to the developers that have stated otherwise in their Twitter feeds or company review sites.)

"That's how the cycle goes.  Once development is well underway, companies always let their temp devs go."  (If the ones let go were temporary contract workers, they weren't WB employees, and companies only announce layoffs of employees.)

"What an idiot.  You obviously got banned and are just having a tantrum in World."  (Ad hominem is alive and well.)

"The game's doing fine." (Proof by assertion is alive and well.)

"I've worked in the industry for umpteen years, and you're completely talking out of your bum." (Appeal to authourity is alive and well.)

You guys have got it all wrong. The game is so perfect and flawless now, that there's only 4 man-hours per day of Customer Support work to do.

On a busy day.

• Upvote 3

It says "starting this week" in the article. It comes very close to the Turbine layoffs, which is why I think the Turbine layoffs were the opening salvo of the 1000 that's going. Considering we were told about them cutting 1000 employees from that Division before the Turbine layoffs, they surely haven't done all of them yet. Not only that, cutting another 1000 within a few months of the first ones?

Either something's seriously fucked at WB or this is just the same round of layoffs that hasn't been done fully yet.

As you know, we at Warner Bros. have committed to reducing costs across the company in order to meet our long-term financial targets, and that includes cutting staff. These changes are challenging, but we believe they will allow us to reallocate resources and position the company for growth and stability in the years ahead.

We've now completed much of our company-wide review, and most business groups will be announcing staff changes this week, beginning today. However, some groups, including Finance, MIS and Technical Operations, have been engaged in more complex reorganizations; they will make some staff changes now, with most coming in the first quarter of next year. Similarly, international territories will proceed according to local policies and protocol, and most of their changes will be announced in the early part of next year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/warner-bros-ceo-kevin-tsujihara-layoffs-memo-2014-11

but fear not, investors...

Time/Warner Earnings beat Wall Street projections.

anyway, with the Hobbit III just round the corner of the month...

i've said elsewhere on these forums, the fate of LoTRO would be clear, at the latest by the Spring of 2015.

& if the rumor of a new focus on mobile games is true...  staff levels for that endeavor can indeed be very small.

yeah,  i do think Turbine is in for one last cull in late February, early March.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they should just go all in and phase out phone support entirely. Cutting it down to a half-day just seems redundant.

If they did that then I am sure some (not necessarily you) would say why don't they at least open for a few hours a day.

PJ.