LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
warspeech

More layoffs at Turbine? (Massively article)

I agree with Tenderloin*.

I can't really knock him for the message, although it is funny it leaked the layoffs.

And, I feel bad for anyone facing the layoffs. Not a happy situation.

*you have the best name ever to make fun versions of, Tenderlion.

As much as I dislike the guy, I think the "you know where to find me" part was just a "hey friends, if you want to talk, I'm here" kind of thing.

Of course, I'm not sure how empathetic someone who got off the sinking ship and into a cushy job can be to those who are losing their jobs unexpectedly, but still.

Call me old-fashioned, but this is the kind of thing you express privately, not on a twitter feed.

To me it's the same as "Sorry to hear about the DUI, I"m here if you need me", or "Thinking of all my friends caught up in the insider trading scandal, you know where to find me".

• Upvote 1

As much as I dislike the guy, I think the "you know where to find me" part was just a "hey friends, if you want to talk, I'm here" kind of thing.

Of course, I'm not sure how empathetic someone who got off the sinking ship and into a cushy job can be to those who are losing their jobs unexpectedly, but still.

For anyone that's seen the movie Titanic, remember the guy who snuck off the ship onto one of the lifeboats when they were excepting women and children only?   When a friend hits the unemployment line sometimes it's best to keep one's mouth shut.   Especially if you yourself had a pillow to land on before the layoffs hit.   I know if the people at my former companies got laid off I certainly would not tweet about it. 

As someone who was unemployed twice in the last 3 years I can tell you that this attitude: "hey friends, if you want to talk, I'm here" kind of thing.

Is certainly not something you want to hear.  If a fellow emploee jumped ship before layoffs and said that to me, it would make me wanna fucking punch babies.  I may not have had a problem with Richard while he was at Turdbine but really he should think before opening his big yap.   People losing their jobs is a sensitive subject in todays economy, especially with the average unemployment time being 18 months.  Not to mention the Boston gaming jobs are nonexistent, which means re-location.  Best to let the wound heal before addressing it in any way shape or form.  Especially in public on Twitter or facebook.  Some people feel the need to post about everything though.  Turbine employees should have know for a while now about the situation at the company and I would suspect most were looking for employment before this. 

But seriously man it's about tact when I read Richard statements and the lack there of.

Phone support was closed today, with a forum post this morning to let people know, so I suspect there may have been some losses there.

The updated info in the article (the official word from WB) is the exact same generic 'message' as with the previous layoffs (beginning of this year?).

Almost a copy/paste, if I remember it right.

Edit: Yes, it's exact copy/paste :)

Anyone got twitter/fb info on who's gone and who's still there. Curious about the fate of JWB. Last time we had a ton of info, this time not so much.

All we have is:

1) Phones being closed (no news for anyone).

2) Sapience leaking it.

3) WB confirming it.

Even though the text is the same, WB officially confirmed today the layoffs at Turbine.

Thanks for summing up the thread I've already read and clarifying that you have nothing to answer my question. 

Thanks for summing up the thread I've already read and clarifying that you have nothing to answer my question. 

You literarily asked if anyone had info ("Anyone got twitter/fb info"), and I replied there was no other info ("all we have").

You don't have to be snarky. Why be rude?

Honestly it seemed to me pretty obvious there was no new info. This just happened today, and if there were more news on it, someone would post it here.

• Upvote 2

Anyone got twitter/fb info on who's gone and who's still there. Curious about the fate of JWB. Last time we had a ton of info, this time not so much.

I feel like JWB has been given such a small team and budget these past few years that it won't make a difference to the game if he's still a dev or not. And for him personally, it may be better to get out of Turbine and get a job somewhere where his talent is allowed to shine again. Muting his creativity has got to be one of Turbine's dumber moves.

Heaton does specifically mention lotro though don't know why he would put that in his tweet if it wasn't effecting lotro

Hes an attention whore

• Upvote 3

I feel like JWB has been given such a small team and budget these past few years that it won't make a difference to the game if he's still a dev or not. And for him personally, it may be better to get out of Turbine and get a job somewhere where his talent is allowed to shine again. Muting his creativity has got to be one of Turbine's dumber moves.

Yea. If he even has a steady team of any size at this point. Having him working on quests is just sad. While you're right that it might be better for him to get out, him being there is one of the few hopes I have for any content I might enjoy more than a single play-through.

As predicted earlier this year, more retrenchments at Turbine, though I thought this one would be the final tranche and coffins nail.

From all reports from this forum, Infinity Crisis is a failing dud.  Apart from the LOTR Licence which is of course in WB hands now, was IC the only trick up Turbines sleeve?

DDO, AC, LOTRO ? Which one gets shut down first? Which gets sacrificed to save the others?

I still predict Turbine will be wound down and its' name will devolve to a Wiki comment.   Ignoring the recent Producers Letter, could Turbine be  wound down this year? ...only 2 months to go...  in corporate world, that is an aching eternity or mere split second, depending on the numbers being crunched and the attitude of the crunchers to those being crunched.

I feel there is no love affair here.

20 April 2010 was the date when WB acquired Turbine...  5 year anniversary this coming year.  20 Apr 2015  Turbine formally winds down? That is only 6 months away with a full half year profit and loss sheet to prove their worth.

CrankyCat

Call me old-fashioned, but this is the kind of thing you express privately, not on a twitter feed.

To me it's the same as "Sorry to hear about the DUI, I"m here if you need me", or "Thinking of all my friends caught up in the insider trading scandal, you know where to find me".

In a company the size of Turbine do you think everyone has everyone's details to be able do that privately?

I don't like the guy either but this seems to me like someone saying if you want to talk I am here. Also by doing it generally, any other Turbine employee could see it and talk too.

PJ.

• Upvote 1

Infinite Crisis Facebook has slowed since yesterday, it is usually quiet on weekends, regardless.

Turbines marketing team would be my guess for the biggest area to see cuts.

Infinite Crisis shrunk as well, but as usual, no details released.  it will be up to the individuals themselves to state & i can't speak to the mindset of those let go...

did Lotro lose anyone?  there wasn't much to take from to begin with & as far as the small core on development...

unlike May 2014 cuts, which took folk by surprise...  this one was on the radar & folk had to see it coming.

Someone on the OF says that produktion malfunction guy may have gone, going from the fact his blue name has been turned off. No idea if it's true or not if so best wishes to him

Someone on the OF says that produktion malfunction guy may have gone, going from the fact his blue name has been turned off. No idea if it's true or not if so best wishes to him

if he is one; he is one of about 80 let go on October 15, 2014.  of a company that is listed between 201 - 500 employees.

i did suspect the 201 as the bottom end, may be in need of revision.

if he is one; he is one of about 80 let go on October 15, 2014.  of a company that is listed between 201 - 500 employees.

i did suspect the 201 as the bottom end, may be in need of revision.

What's the source of that 80 being let go? Curious to know the extent to which IC was hit compared with lotro / ddo. Thanks.

Can't find him in the dev tracker. Does anyone know the spelling of his username?