LOTROCommunity

More layoffs at Turbine? (Massively article)

warspeech

Nah. If it was scripted, it wouldn't sound like it was written by someone with English as a second language.

Unless the person is intentionally trying to make it sound casual.  Which is possible, but who knows in this case.

Here's a challenge: find anyone who write's like this:

"if those change in the next coupla' weeks. "

This actually looks to me like someone trying to sound casual. I doubt anyone would naturally type out coupla'

It just looks like an amateur attempt by someone who is doing their paid job: trying to influence readers that things will be fine with the game (so keep on playing and spending!). Although, I could also see some older poster going back and editing his post to sound hip. But it is just too perfectly written to cast doubts in readers minds.

I am sure Lotro managers are praying players will still pull out their wallets to buy the beorning class, despite this news.

Someday, when the game finally closes, Nymphonic will have a laugh and reveal that him and cdq and THK and this guy and a few others were all paid to write positive things on the forums. Even more likely: a few people have several alt accounts they do this with.

• Upvote 1

Here's a challenge: find anyone who write's like this:

"if those change in the next coupla' weeks. "

I write like that. People here have probably seen different contractions I use, because I try to write how I actually speak. Though I would've preferred coupl'a, as the contraction is in the wrong place in his version.

• Upvote 1

I am gonna' go look, Doro, and see if you really would add a ' at the end, or even write coupla by itself!

Doesn't  ^    look stupid with the ' at the end. I would never add that.

EDIT:  Busted! Doro:

No one has ever, in the history of this site, even used the word "coupla" before on this site. That is a lot of posts! And never a coupla to be found. 

Unless the person is intentionally trying to make it sound casual.  Which is possible, but who knows in this case.

Maybe the person who wrote this simply has some insider knowledge because his parter/parents/etc. work for turbine?

Someday, when the game finally closes, Nymphonic will have a laugh and reveal that him and cdq and THK and this guy and a few others were all paid to write positive things on the forums. Even more likely: a few people have several alt accounts they do this with.

This would actually restore my faith in humanity. Sadly I think they really believe the stuff they're posting.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if some users are actually turbine staff in disguise

I am gonna' go look, Doro, and see if you really would add a ' at the end, or even write coupla by itself!

Doesn't  ^    look stupid with the ' at the end. I would never add that.

EDIT:  Busted! Doro:

No one has ever, in the history of this site, even used the word "coupla" before on this site. That is a lot of posts! And never a coupla to be found. 

You asked for someone who writes like that. Not the exact use of the word. And I already said that an apostrophe at the end doesn't make sense because that isn't where you put a contraction.

Given WB announcement of 9 new DC comic films, perhaps IC has come too soon.

no, the issue there is that it is a MOBA-type, in a market saturated with MOBA-types & that a MOBA does not showcase the uniqueness that is all the identities & powers of the DC catalog.  not in a way that would satisfy a large cross-section of the comic fan-base.  it is at best just a niche audience there, and a small one at that.

if infinite crisis was to be made...  a MOBA-type was just a horrible match for the DC franchise.

the game will never penetrate the comics based fans to the degree that would derive success & to draw the existing MOBA crowd...  honestly, too late to the game & with an inferior product, for too long now.

throw it up on steam and have another Guardians of Middle Earth.  it is done.

Warner is currently in love with the mobile games market.  pity they can't see the future there as well.  because that market has already peaked & with the heavy handed monitization models, the earth has been slowly scorched and fatigue has set in.

the green eyed vision, tends to be myopic though, so i am sure they'll see clear, once it is too late.

Given WB announcement of 9 new DC comic films, perhaps IC has come too soon.

IC was always going to fail for 2 primary reasons.

First is that it would never be able to compete with League of Legends or DOTA.

Second is when you are using a pre existing IP, in IC case DC Super Heros, is that you will either have to stick to lore which makes balancing an impossible task and very difficult to introduce new characters or completely piss all over lore, invent new skills, powers, characters piss off every DC fan, the very customer you are trying to entice.   

On top of this when you consider that MOBA's by their very nature can not have any lag to speak off then and Turbines history, never stood a chance. 

Riot have more money then god and still have the occasional hiccup which causes a huge amount of rage on the forums. Over the last 18 months Riot have been poaching staff from many other developers by literally throwing stupid amounts of money at them, the E-Sport angle has been incredibly successful, seriously who ever at Turbine thought it would be a good idea to make a MOBA now is a complete idiot. 

Most people that I know who have played IC have said that it "could be" a decent game but it needs a lot longer in beta as it requires a lot more polishing and has some fundamental flaws such as characters movements limited to a 8 way pathing, UI needs to be cleared up as it is very cluttered and character movement needs to be smooth by quite a bit. 

Essentially if it gets released with these issues they are going to lose a lot of players as the game play can not complete with either DOTA or LOL.  

In a company the size of Turbine do you think everyone has everyone's details to be able do that privately?

I don't like the guy either but this seems to me like someone saying if you want to talk I am here. Also by doing it generally, any other Turbine employee could see it and talk too.

PJ.

Given that this was Sap's previous justification for shutting down the thread about layoffs in February of this year

"I think we've reached an unfortunate conclusion to the discussion here. As I mentioned earlier it is not my place, nor yours, to invade the privacy of those impacted. While I can understand some of you feel you have a 'right to know' I will remind you that those individual's right to privacy trumps it."

his being one of the first ones to break the news yesterday, in a tweet that was used as the source for Massively's article on it, is more than a little hypocritical.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?542154-Turbine-hit-with-another-round-of-layoffs&p=7101316#post7101316

• Upvote 1

Would not be surprised to see DDO and LOTRO sunsetted within a year, with IC shuffled off to another WB-owned company, and Turbine remolded into a Mobile-only game developer.

That is quite possible. "Refocussing the brand" is quite common and looking at Turbine right now - a stable of legacy fantasy MMO titles, a new moba based on a comic book IP and a branch into mobile games, it does appear to be somewhat vague as to what its core value proposition is. If I were the CEO of Turbine I would not be looking to stand the company up as some form of generic development house that is duplicated x times over across WB. Rather I would want to present a strategy based upon a specific niche that I can carve out.

So, if mobile games are where the money is, then moving the legacy titles and IC off to other parts of the company gets rid of those distractions.

Edit - and that could mean selling lotro and ddo to someone else, recouping some money and getting shot of the problem. Who knows, SOE or PWI could buy up the titles.

Then they'll create a new subsidiary just for the legacy games, put the titles in there and run them on a shoestring.

Hmm but wouldn't it be better for them as a company to basically cut ties with their past and "reinvent" themselves under a new banner for moblie development? You know, start over with a clean slate?

Seems like that would be the most logical step.

Hmm but wouldn't it be better for them as a company to basically cut ties with their past and "reinvent" themselves under a new banner for moblie development? You know, start over with a clean slate?

Indeed, which is why in every organisation I have worked, once a system is identified as legacy it gets just enough money and attention to keep the lights on and that's that. Hence why turbine, to reinvent themselves needs to get shot of lotro & ddo.

"Turbine - powered by your phones"

Indeed, which is why in every organisation I have worked, once a system is identified as legacy it gets just enough money and attention to keep the lights on and that's that. Hence why turbine, to reinvent themselves needs to get shot of lotro & ddo.

Assuming the best case scenario happens like this, it'd at least have a much happier fate than what happend to poor ol' City of Heroes :(

"Turbine - powered by your phones"

I knew it was only a matter of time before society forces me to conform and buy an Iphone.

Producing low-budget games, with tons of opportunities for micro-transactions, very few content updates (if any), no need to even pretend they care about customers. It's the perfect thing for such an incompetent, malicious company!

To be honest, I think it's reasonable to think that Turbine and the Exec Prods of the various games have known that this was going to happen and told to plan accordingly.

Honestly, there is no reason to think that Rowan hasn't consulted with Upper Management on the feasibility of the current long-term plans, as laid out in the Producer's Letter for October. Obviously, he was told that he'd lose some staff from LOTRO(well, 2 have gone at least, we know of Kehleyr and ProductionMalphunktion and the latter only came onboard LOTRO around June).

I absolutely believe Turbine still has plans/funding in place to keep developing content for LOTRO for the next couple of years(or he wouldn't have talked about things to come in 2016).

They may consider letting it go if they knew they were going to lose the lawsuit with the estate, after all if that goes the estates way it renders most Lotr content useless now, Internet games would be a no go, movies are now exhausted and when the last film comes out the merchandise will soon dry up, all that's left is disc based games. Some bean counter will undoubtedly be making calculations as to wether it's worth paying for a licence still when the returns are ever diminishing

Wasn't he the guy that pissed off so many at the unofficial DDO forums? If so, I hope they're celebrating.

Yes, that was MajorMalphunktion(his alter ego).

They may consider letting it go if they knew they were going to lose the lawsuit with the estate, after all if that goes the estates way it renders most Lotr content useless now, Internet games would be a no go, movies are now exhausted and when the last film comes out the merchandise will soon dry up, all that's left is disc based games. Some bean counter will undoubtedly be making calculations as to wether it's worth paying for a licence still when the returns are ever diminishing

To be honest, I absolutely think there will be a settlement that lets MEE hold onto the license, because they stand to lose so much revenue if they contest it fully and the judgement goes against them.

WB as well, since they are the ones that keep spewing out these half-baked games like Guardians of Middle-Earth, Shadows of Mordor, War In The North(or whatever that one I dled was called, played through once, uninstalled)