LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Silverangel

Good Game Discussion Forums?

Was just wondering where else you guys go for games.  If there are any other forums that are good for discussing and reading about MMOs and RPGs.

It seems like there are a lot of options, but they're either not fully-featured, or I've never gotten pulled into them, or they fall far short of feeling like a community.  LotRO community is a wonderful little nook, but it falls a little short if someone isn't playing LotRO at the moment.  Is Steam good?  MMORPG?  :?

I honestly stick with forums tied to specific games or developer firms. I've only been skimming Rift's forums lately since I can't get onto my PC comfortably at the moment, but I spend a lot of time on Obsidian's forums for their Pillars of Eternity discussions. XKCD's general gaming forum has some interesting threads but it's not as active as the specific-game/developer forums.

I used to be into wargaming, which had nice forums. They would also discuss other game which then turned out not to be too dumb.

All gone to hell.

I have one forum for that, but it's not in english.

Other than that I've resigned from other many other forums - I do NOT recommend places like mmorpg.com or massively.  I don't want to get into my reasons for that, but I just do NOT recommend those.

Althrough you may want to give www.rpgcodex.net  a try.

I am not an user there, but I was reading for some info/opinion on some games there.  Both forums and site really cover preety much all, esepcially (but not limited to) single player rpgs.  Both old, new, mods, etc

RPGCodex has a....reputation, but anyway.

I forgot about the SomethingAwful forums ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44 ). I haven't participated there, but I know Josh Sawyer, a head developer, regularly posts there and may even post more than on his own Obsidian forums; keep in mind that I believe merely registering requires a $10 fee, which might keep out most of the riff-raff (like Metafilter's fee).

RPGCodex has an interesting front page news feed.  From there I jumped to Numera's Tumblr blog, which I enjoyed poking through.  I bookmarked Pillars of Eternity too, since the development of that game looks really interesting and discussion-worthy.

I comment on Massively sometimes.  It's a random popcorn activity.  The writers are--I don't know--real and likeable there.

Thanks so much all for the responses.   :*)

FWIW I have a similar problem with computer forums. You can find other forums such as about music or photography where you can discuss the topic at hand without getting too exposed to people's naive political views.

However, if you want to discuss computer technology in general or programming in particular you are effectively screwed, because those forums are just full of full-on opinion posting. Probably got to do with the age of people involved. But still, pretty annoying.

• Upvote 1

It seems like if you want to discuss programming, then that's what you're in for.  At least there is Stackoverflow.  I can't think of another venue where upvoting and downvoting works so usefully.  Heavy up and down-voting in game forums seems to just rend the fabric of their very existence.

Stackit and redoverflow are too result-oriented. I would really like to have a free-floating discussion (without reordering). The format is very useful for problem-solving, but not for conversation.