LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
drul

European Space Agency (ESA)’s Rosetta space mission

Some nice promo movie about an space mission I had no idea Europe is undertaking !

Making of:

more about mission, etc :

www.esa.int/rosetta
www.ambitionfilm.com

Do people in Europe know how bad guys wearing scarves look to Americans? when it's not very cold.

To us, it is weird to wear a scarf indoors or when it's not very cold outside. Looks like wearing women's clothes. I know it's trendy/fashion in some parts of Europe.

Considering that by narrative he's some kind of post-human psionic master/professor & who knows how many thousands or more years into future - then it did not even occur to me to judge his clothing by today's standards. 

Besides I think their clothing(that give sort of pseudo far east/zen/something that could be wearable by some of students of philosophy/art on Uni, etc) are like that on purpose.

Anyway - one of last things that I thought of when watching this short film.

Anyway - one of last things that I thought of when watching this short film.

Exactly, a European doesn't even notice it. But to an American it is like wtf is that? The guy is clearly wearing a clothing style common in France and other places in Europe. It is clearly a scarf.

I don't think Europeans realize how bad it looks to Americans to see men wearing scarves. Or at least to some of us. I don't mean bad as in wrong, just looks like bad fashion sense. I think the movie people know this - you almost never see a big budget movie with a man wearing a scarf - unless it is outside in the cold.

Ha ha. I would give the movie 4 stars. It would be 5 but I have to take one off for the movie making me think why is that guy wearing something so off.

The planned landing is on 12/11/2014 at around 13:35 GMT and we should get a radio signal if it is a success at around 16:00 GMT

Eh? Indoors?

It's outside, supposedly being on Iceland.

I am just saying that the fashion of wearing that kind of scarf, that way is totally alien to us in the US. We only wear scarves for the cold. The guy isn't even using his scarf by wrapping it around his neck well. Just pointing out the difference in clothes cultures. 

We do this:

http://cf.ltkcdn.net/womens-fashion/images/std/147645-301x289-layered-winter-scarf.jpg

147645-301x289-layered-winter-scarf.jpg

But not this:

n-HOW-TO-TIE-SCARF-MEN-large570.jpg

Exactly, a European doesn't even notice it. But to an American it is like wtf is that? The guy is clearly wearing a clothing style common in France and other places in Europe. It is clearly a scarf.

I don't think Europeans realize how bad it looks to Americans to see men wearing scarves. Or at least to some of us. I don't mean bad as in wrong, just looks like bad fashion sense. I think the movie people know this - you almost never see a big budget movie with a man wearing a scarf - unless it is outside in the cold.

Ha ha. I would give the movie 4 stars. It would be 5 but I have to take one off for the movie making me think why is that guy wearing something so off.

Fourth_Doctor.jpg

The planned landing is on 12/11/2014 at around 13:35 GMT and we should get a radio signal if it is a success at around 16:00 GMT

Is that Nov 12 or Dec 11?

The scarf didn't bother me at all and I live in the US. It's the future, so different styles. I thought the video looked cool.

As an American I'm insulted that you, Nosam, are are pointing something so ridiculous, is the whole world suppose to be viewed through an American mindset, one that you get to choose? Besides, it's not a scarf, it's a mantle. It's also fantasy, what's he suppose to wear, jeans and a T shirt?

8480_John_Wayne_americas_cowboy_Puzzle_l

...and if you're sayin' the Duke is unamerican, then them's fightin' words!!!!!

The scarf didn't bother me at all and I live in the US. It's the future, so different styles.

Not directed at you Tinker, but your quote is useful:

1) it did not bother me, I just thought it looked weird.

2) I was just saying this: I don't think Europeans realize how feminine scarves look on men to some in the US. If I went to work wearing a woman's scarf and kept it on indoors people in the US would think it was very strange.

3) It's not really a futuristic style - it's a European fashion style (men wearing those type of scarves).

4) a handkerchief has a purpose other than fashion. The guy in the video is dressed in a scarf for fashion, and obviously not warmth.

My whole point was to point out men in the US tend to wear scarves (or handkerchiefs) for some purpose, like to be warm. You almost never see men in the US wearing scarves indoors or as a fashion statement. Whereas you see this a lot in places in Europe like France.

I was just pointing this out. Not saying we are right or everyone should follow our customs. Should the makers of this video care how people in the US perceive it? Maybe. Maybe not.

Probably most Americans would not know that the scarf he is wearing is a European fashion style. Maybe they will just think it is "futuristic". Maybe I have a different view because I have been in Europe and France so many times and so notice the difference in men wearing scarves.

Besides, it's not a scarf, it's a mantle. It's also fantasy, what's he suppose to wear, jeans and a T shirt?

It is a square scarf wrapped around him and resting on his shoulders instead of being around his neck. And it clearly is put on him not as something alien but in the tradition of men in Europe wearing scarves.

This whole discussion seems kind of meaningless actually. It's not important.

It looks more like lace or a doily than a scarf to me,. I don't know, I think it looks kinda cool on Littlefinger, sort of like some of the light armor shoulder pieces in LOTRO. Would I wear it? fuck no, but I'm not a fashion maven. ;)

On second look, more like a piece of ratty bedspread someone rescued from the trash, but still Littlefinger pulls it off.