LOTROCommunity

The truth comes out Part 2 (about moderation on Official Forum)

Ok fine if it will shut you all up.  Richard Heaton did what he wanted and was never held responsible for his actions by anyone at turbine.   Even though he was a Turbine employee, the rules never applied to him.  He is the spawn of satan and everything everyone else said about him is true and I am just off my rocker. 

I already said he was unprofessional, inappropriate and a dick in many posts already but I'm 100% positive the people jumping all over me agreed with that. 

Apologies if my opinion differed 1 time in 2 years from the status quo.

They don't. Not for me, anyway.

I remain flabbergasted you have this perspective, Quinn.

I've been saying it about Richard for 2 years.   But back then as today I use the same phrase.

"With that said I don't condone his actions"

Which means I won't excuse the shitty way he handled the community during his reign. 

The way he created a de facto forum police force.

The way he blamed players for Turbines mistakes.

The way he has twisted the truth in the past. 

The way he played favorites by putting his pets on the PC

The times he came up with his fake numbers to support the removal of game features.

The way he used snarky remarks instead of being professional.

His targeting of undesirable posters (basically the ones telling the truth.)

Maybe I was simply trying to find reasons why one would act that way.  But I guess I should stop vocalizing those ideas as they turn threads into the bullshit above.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sapience was a ego-maniacal dickhead on a power trip. Honestly, I can't see how anyone could possibly want to try to excuse his behaviour.

What I bolded up there is the thing that I would take and turn around.    The community was in no WAY the hostile snake pit that HE turned into prior to his f*king with people in it.  Yeah... we wer

Honestly, that's a bit shocking.  How could he run something like this and not be prepared to answer that question?   If he had even an inkling of something 'new' on the horizon, he would surely be

I took that as a troll post myself, it seemed to be dripping with sarcasm.

I'm in the US so didn't read Codies forums, remember, we had Patience :), but are you really bring PvP threads into it? It goes without saying that they would be aggressive, they are in every game, I was referring to general forums.

Sorry dude, didn't realise you were from the US.

It wasn't just the PvMP sections, as I said, the section for the Eldar server was just plainly horrible. Also whilst GD may not be as bad as it has been, but it was certainly no wonderful heaven. 

To be honest it was the same as any other game forum. you had trolls and haters just like everywhere else, it was nothing special. 

Would stop already.  I never made any excuses for Richard Heaton.  And how do you personally know that he wasn't commanded by his bosses to do certain things.

How can you explain Cordovan's (the DDO CM) behavior during that period?  It was very Heatonesque.  You have no clue what Paiz commanded him or Richard to do. 

I'm speculating and so is everyone else so really no need to keep arguing these points without facts.  Neither of us will have facts either way to support if he was told to do the things he did or he was told to do them.

The way I look at it is that he must of had some talk or direction from who ever his manager was in regards to how he moderated the forum. 

Was Sap a massive dick.. hell yeah, and I can tell that you are not defending him and I agree that his manager or upper management instructed him to remove and stamp down on anybody posting anything that might look bad. 

... I agree that his manager or upper management instructed him to remove and stamp down on anybody posting anything that might look bad. 

I think you are right. As bad as he was at being a CM, this must be true. I can see a lot of the problems being due to his own personality and pettiness too.

I think you are right. As bad as he was at being a CM, this must be true. I can see a lot of the problems being due to his own personality and pettiness too.

I agree too, granted he became very petty and was a really bad CM, but he would never have gotten away with as much as he did for as long as he did if his bosses hadn't been implicit in it or even ordered him to be heavy handed, businesses just don't operate that way almost every employee has someone they have to report to, so someone higher up must have been a party to it.

I think it's quite telling that Rowan hadn't been running the show for long before Sapience left.

I think the forums are an afterthought to most suits at Turbine.  Most of them probably didnt care that they existed, they are more concerned about nickels and dimes and milking every penny from the game so they can get a nice Xmas bonus.  

Sap™ probably gave nice reach arounds so Paiz probably looked past Saps complete and utter destruction of Turbine's once proud forums.  Out with the shit and in with Rowan and Id love to bet he told Sap to start looking for another job and allowed him to save face.

Of course its purely speculation on mine and other's parts but I cant picture Sap being paid much to run those feeble forums over at Xtra Life, Id bet hes making less.  Of course his White Knighters praise him for working for a charity...news flash, charities are cut throat businesses.  Nothing noble about working for a charity unless you are doing it for FREE, besides that its just another job.

I agree too, granted he became very petty and was a really bad CM, but he would never have gotten away with as much as he did for as long as he did if his bosses hadn't been implicit in it or even ordered him to be heavy handed, businesses just don't operate that way almost every employee has someone they have to report to, so someone higher up must have been a party to it.

Anyone watch Freelorn on the twitch VOD stream? People are talking about it on the OF forums. Someone asked about any Raids coming, and he was quiet for a long time and then said "I have no new information".

What is very clear to me is that company policy is to manipulate players by withholding the truth from them whenever Turbine can benefit from it. Obviously Freelorn knows there will be no raids, and none are being made, but he has to follow Turbine's policy of never telling the truth in situations like this. And of course some players are telling others on the OF that new raids are probably coming, and Freelorn could not talk about this super exciting project (new raids).

It is all about spin and keeping players hoping. They are desperately trying to hide how little they are still putting in to this game.

It is all about spin and keeping players hoping. They are desperately trying to hide how little they are still putting in to this game.

To be honest, the only people who still have hope are the same people who find the flavour of windows to be moreish.

Anyone watch Freelorn on the twitch VOD stream? People are talking about it on the OF forums. Someone asked about any Raids coming, and he was quiet for a long time and then said "I have no new information".

What is very clear to me is that company policy is to manipulate players by withholding the truth from them whenever Turbine can benefit from it. Obviously Freelorn knows there will be no raids, and none are being made, but he has to follow Turbine's policy of never telling the truth in situations like this. And of course some players are telling others on the OF that new raids are probably coming, and Freelorn could not talk about this super exciting project (new raids).

Some of us are damn stubborn too and insist on getting answers. I also have a thick skin and don't easily get discouraged from continuing to ask.

Some of us are damn stubborn too and insist on getting answers. I also have a thick skin and don't easily get discouraged from continuing to ask.

Yes, but are you able to see the obvious (that no one is working on any raids at Turbine), or are you playing in to their game by hoping (depsite all evidence of the last 4 years) that Turbine will suddenly surprise us and spend all this money on making a raid (despite their history, and the recent lay offs).

To me, anyone who can't see there are no raids coming is just being stupid.

Yes, but are you able to see the obvious (that no one is working on any raids at Turbine), or are you playing in to their game by hoping (depsite all evidence of the last 4 years) that Turbine will suddenly surprise us and spend all this money on making a raid (despite their history, and the recent lay offs).

Asking about raids is probably still better than not asking, though.

(From a fellow HD beta tester) - I admire your stamina Beanie for sticking with it and being proactive despite pretty much everything that went down over the past year.

Sounds like Turbine is just treading water in anticipation of WB's decision as to its fate, what with the latter's still ongoing company-wide review and layoff spree. Putting my feelings for the game's direction aside for a moment, I hope folks hang on to their jobs.

And then there's Leixy, who suggested that a multi-billion dollar a year corporation should fund an instance cluster via kickstarter. Derp.

Leixy is one of those "clever trolls".  He'll side for, he'll side against, all in the name of getting a reaction.

download2.jpg

Yup, someone's definitely keeping them on a tight leash over there for sure.

Erm.. Why are people asking about raids still? Didn't they very clearly (in a producers letter or something) state that there would be no more raids? Or has something changed again?

They have never said that there wouldn't be any more raids, they've said that for the foreseeable(not sure when this was said the last time)future, there would be no new raids made. Or like last year, when someone asked, they said that there was no plans for any new raids for 2013/2014.

They have never said that there wouldn't be any more raids, they've said that for the foreseeable(not sure when this was said the last time)future, there would be no new raids made. Or like last year, when someone asked, they said that there was no plans for any new raids for 2013/2014.

I could have sworn I read that they decided they were not going to do raids any more and would be focusing on the big battle style systems instead, I even remember rick causing a huge argument over it, maybe it was as you say no new raids planned this year and I'm remembering wrong, been ages since I read the OF.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?161-New-Player-Questions-amp-Impressions

I see the New Player Questions forum has just become a spam trap now, so many undeleted spam threads at the moment, all with links to reddit.

I could have sworn I read that they decided they were not going to do raids any more and would be focusing on the big battle style systems instead, I even remember rick causing a huge argument over it, maybe it was as you say no new raids planned this year and I'm remembering wrong, been ages since I read the OF.

Check how uncomfortable Frelon gets at around 39:07 in here when the question of raids is put to him

http://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream/b/588417346

http://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream/b/588417346

edit: Is there a way to embed old Twitch videos in here as there is YouTube ones?

IDK, he doesn't look "uncomfortable" to me, I'd say he looked 1 of 2 ways depending on your view:

1) He's playing to the camera in order to feign that there is information when there actually is none.

or

2) Has information and is trying to decide if there is anything he can say or how he can say it without breaking in house NDA's and is playing to the camera to indicate there is information that he can't impart currently.

either way, to me, it looks staged more than uncomfortable.

Holding back information isn't helpful at this stage, just say if there is a raid or instance cluster planned for U161718...99 .

I totally agree.

That doesn't mean they do, considering how the last few major things have not appeared, Housing, Kin Update, LI Upgrade 2 and now Imbuing (so far), I'm not sure I would say we are going to launch a raid until I was damned sure it was going to launch.

Holding back information isn't helpful at this stage, just say if there is a raid or instance cluster planned for U161718...99 .

I would understand them being silent even if there is raids planned. There is so much lately that has been delayed or canceled. I understand if they don't want risk pissing off more people.