LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Darmokk

WTF is Glyph?

I was just patching. Trion seems to have shielded their game behind a "Glyph" thing? Is it safe to enter my game password there?

They also earlier spammed my email with unrelated garbage from Glyph.

Can anyone shed some light?

It is the new launcher for all of Trion's games. So instead of a different launcher for each game you launch Glyph and pick the game you want to play. It is safe to use.

Also before you laod the game click on settings and choose advanced from the menu on the left hand side. There you can have Glyph shutdown when you launch the game. You can also have it remember your login details from your current location.

And here

But yeah, go through the settings! You can make Glyph behave very minimalist.

It is safe to use.

In the case of Archeage, this is debatable due to the rootkit anti-hacking stuff it installs, which supposedly then doesn't uninstall itself fully even if you uninstall the game. This is just what I've heard.

These guys continue to email spam me for whatever the hell "Trove" is.

Not amused. I thought they were supposed to be the good guys?

You can remove your email address from all their promotional lists via Glyph account (web browser). Account > Newsletters

I'm pretty sure that's the setting, anyway.

You can remove your email address from all their promotional lists via Glyph account (web browser). Account > Newsletters

I'm pretty sure that's the setting, anyway.

Yeah that's the problem. I don't have the game password with me. Unsubscribe links under unsolicited email should work without login.

I hope they end up in spamfilter hell for that.

I don't remember if I was automatically subscribed at the beginning or not, but somehow I didn't get any of their promotions until one day Trion said they were giving away free stuff (some kind of trove with potions, 3-day patron pass, something else like credits?), so I subscribed. Since I only gave them one of my spam-catcher Gmail accounts dedicated to games anyway, it doesn't bother me---but I don't remember seeing an unsubscribe link on their emails either. :P Agreed that there should always be a link and it should work without login.

... I only gave them one of my spam-catcher Gmail accounts dedicated to games anyway, it doesn't bother me...

And there I thought I was was only clever one.... 

Since I only gave them one of my spam-catcher Gmail accounts dedicated to games anyway, it doesn't bother me

I have a similar process, having my own email host I can create unlimited email address, so whenever I sign up for an online game I always create a new email address just for that game, that way only emails relevant to that company go there and I don't have to trawl through spam on my personal email accounts.

I didn't feel it is necessary to use a throwaway email address for a company that's supposed to play nice.

And it is important data that they don't, or stopped, or have a temporary piece of brain damage.

I didn't feel it is necessary to use a throwaway email address for a company that's supposed to play nice.

And it is important data that they don't, or stopped, or have a temporary piece of brain damage.

Can't parse that last sentence of yours.

I would say Trion has slid substantially in terms of game support since going F2P and releasing both Defiance and now Archeage. They seem spread a bit thin and are probably starting to embrace the standard F2P mantra that high turnover is preferable to retaining long-term customers. Wait times for support tickets are still in the weeks since AA dropped.

I've been keeping an eye on how they respond to things ever since switching from the sub to F2P model, and the worse yet has to be the 25-hour rollback on one of their biggest/oldest shards very recently. But while Trion gave a ton of things to make up for the chat overhaul instability earlier this year, they gave a mere 750 credits ($5) to only some of the subscribers, nothing to people who actually bought a collector's edition, and the worst part of the fiasco was FORGETTING to communicate to the customers of three shards that saw downtime and rollbacks for an entire week. I mean, wow. No one expected Trion to have fallen that hard, let me tell you.

Despite that, I will say the content is still light years ahead of LotRO and should compete with other AAA titles. I bought a CE well after the rollback debacle because I didn't lose anything myself and am not a subscribing patron anyway, but I'd keep that fragment of cynicism in a healthy place because the slide might be happening now. Probably.

I don't want to end up with the same vivid disgust as I did with Turbine, so I'm just going to enjoy things while I can. :P