LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Helcawen

New Graphics Card

Heya, it's me Imoen.... sorry ...

Anyway my brother is building me a new pc for christmas (mind you at the rate he does things it might be easter) and i was wondering if you guys could recommend a graphics card for around £200...

Thanks all :)

• Upvote 1

Heya, it's me Imoen....

Pft, +1 just for that!

I can't help you with the card, though, as I personally just go with an online custom service and pick out of what choices they give me that would fit in the case/on the mobo.

The only thing I regret not doing with my last system was going for a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate, because I sure as hell don't want Windows 8 on my next system. *grrrr*

After sticking with NVidia since 1997 I finally switched to ATI cards, due to reliability concerns of NVidia hardware. I have a huge stack of dead and semi-dead NVidia cards. And I was fed up with dragging their closed-source drivers around, especially since they closed nvnews and built their own braindead forum for feedback. The open source drivers for the ATI are good-ish. Specifically they run LOTRO in wine but not ST:O, whereas the Intel 4400 drivers do both. The ATI card is also doing triple-head which will be important later when it might graduate up from my gaming machine to something more important.

The one I have is a MSI Radeon 7950.

It's plenty fast. I think I only spent $100 on an ebay snipe.

Probably be easier if you gave us the specs of the other components. That way, all viable options can be worked out, including the potential for future SLI/crossfire setups.

That's not a very good CPU choice if you play a lot of games that are older or low budget.

The Seagate is also on my hate list.

I personally keep in mind warranties. For example, HDD manufacturers all reduced their standard warranties back in 2011, from 3-5 years down to 1-year. For that reason, I tend to stick with WD Black label, but YMMV. SSDs are another thing, and I always have one for OS/software and HDD storage.

As for video cards, the nomenclature is so annoying... You have the NVidia and AMD GPUs with numbers and suffixes, then with different manufacturers carrying the same GPUs and adding prefixes---I don't know what the difference is, like how different is one GeForce GTX 970 compared to the next? Bleh. I've gone with Tomshardware recommendation lists as a starting point for a while now and check discussions about individual cards if I'm inclined to do so (seriously, I'm not that hardcore, though). Some people are loyal to brands though, so again YMMV.

That's not a very good CPU choice if you play a lot of games that are older or low budget.

Agree with both of these points.  I know you don't want AMD for Rift.  The graphics card looks super.

Agree with both of these points.  I know you don't want AMD for Rift.  The graphics card looks super.

Any particular reason why not?

Rift's version of Gamebryo uses a single-core, which means all of those AMD cores aren't doing anything for you.  The 4Gz seems really good though, so you probably don't need to worry about it.  I'm not a technie, but I've just seen the complaints over the years in the Rift forums.  Here is a recent thread where people talk about it:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/newcomers/440776-bad-performance-my-new-pc.html

It's not AMD that's the real culprit, then, but just having lots of slower cores.

In general, 4-cores are enough for the vast majority of people, aim for faster; higher number of cores are best for 3D rendering, lots of Photoshop, other productivity/science applications.

Edit: Oh, it's possible there are compatibility issues with AMD/ATI products specifically. I was just talking about the "AMD cores" versus single-threaded performance requirements.

AMD introduced real slowness for some applications, per-core, per-clock slowness, with Bulldozer. They can be really disappointing, also for example for my picture editing.

In addition to better per-core speed for a broader set of applications the Intel CPUs also offer better and/or more Turbo mode, which is what you want for single-threaded games. On the other hand it's a real bother to get Intel CPUs with full functionality including all virtualization and ECC support.

Also FYI, in countries where that is legal, Seagate warranty starts when the drive leaves the factory, and there is no way to find out how old a drive on a webshop is.

I'd pick Intel Core i5 over that AMD cpu for the reasons stated already in this thread.

The GFX seems very expensive for a GTX 760. As much as 4GB is better than 2GB, 4GB versions are usually vastly more expensive than 2GB and I don't find it particularly useful for low/midend GPUs.

I think 750W is way overkill for this setup (there are 550w and 650w versions of the PSU he picked). 

The case is IMO bad if you care just a bit about noise. The fans are noisy and the almost-infinite amount of ventilation holes do nothing to reduce that noise. I recently bought Fractal Design R4 and I love the noise reduction: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4bl

If budget is an issue I'd shave off the custom CPU cooler for now and buy that later, and use those money on improving other parts.

Hummm. ASRock board. Had one, was not impressed with it. Don't know though, they might've improved quality since then!

I built my dad a pc with an Asrock board, it has been solid.  But this was a high end itx board.  It is a really small pc was a pain to build.

Also get a Samsung 840 pro 256GB SSD card it makes a huge difference and is supposedly very reliable. I would not even consider getting a PC without an SSD main drive.

I built my dad a pc with an Asrock board, it has been solid.  But this was a high end itx board.  It is a really small pc was a pain to build.

Also get a Samsung 840 pro 256GB SSD card it makes a huge difference and is supposedly very reliable. I would not even consider getting a PC without an SSD main drive.

Well, the one I had I got in 2008, so they probably have improved since then!

With regard to the PSU: I would say 550w is ample; you might even consider going down to 450w; Seasonic is also a good brand for PSUs. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-rm550

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4bl < I find this case plenty pretty, and it's quite a bit cheaper than the one on your list now.

I'd also recommend going for the 2gb version of that GPU.

wrt the CPU: I'm doubtful that having access to 8 cores has added value, or that it will do so in the next 2 years. As such, I'd recommend getting something like this cpu for now, and if it turns out to be useful in the future, to get an 8-core 2-3 years down the road. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd4350frhkbox

Alternatively, you could get this cpu: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad860kxbjabox i.c.w. a different motherboard (the 860k uses an fm2+ socket, rather than an am3+): http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fm2a88mextreme4

If you up it to 250-300ish, you could get a 970!

Other than that, this is the card currently residing in my PC:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-xfx-radeon-r9-280x-dd-black-edition-28nm-6200mhz-gddr5-gpu-1080mhz-2048-streams-dvi-hdmi-mdport

Decent enough!

I put together a new PC in January this year and this was exactly the sort of comment I continuously run into. It is true in essence (as we'd all like the best) but ultimately far from helpful.

Advising anything outside of the budgetary parameters is a waste of time and also doesn't address the enquiry itself. The concept of a budget is very specific. You set it and work within in it. Suggesting spending more is illogical ;)

I am genuinely interested as to what people would recommend as a graphic cards with a £200 budget?

I put together a new PC in January this year and this was exactly the sort of comment I continuously run into. It is true in essence (as we'd all like the best) but ultimately far from helpful.

Advising anything outside of the budgetary parameters is a waste of time and also doesn't address the enquiry itself. The concept of a budget is very specific. You set it and work within in it. Suggesting spending more is illogical ;)

I am genuinely interested as to what people would recommend as a graphic cards with a £200 budget?

This one is $265 CDN dollars which is in the 200 pound territory.

After the rebate though if you count those. :)

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-geforce-gtx-770-oc-c4-84358-1457.htm

Edit: Wow the pound is really strong since I last looked (years ago) and 265 CDN is actually 147 pounds sterling.

Look at the link I posted and you'll see it was within the budget(and also, one I have myself).

Maybe you could've clicked on the link and seen the actual price of it before criticising?

• Upvote 1

I agree there, Seagate aren't that great any more, they used to be good but over the last few years they've gone down hill. For SATA HD's I'd go with Western Digital, they seem ve4ry reliable and good quality to me, for an SSD I'd recommend a Kingston, same for memory Kingston HyperX or better memory in my opinion, Kingston seem to really have act together.

Look at the link I posted and you'll see it was within the budget(and also, one I have myself).

Maybe you could've clicked on the link and seen the actual price of it before criticising?

I think I've got the R9 270x and though it works well for gaming, I've had nothing but trouble with it making an annoying 'whining' in certain circumstances (hence, I haven't suggested it despite it's cheaper price). Have you not had any draw backs from the 280x? Looks like an interesting one to setup a crossfire with.