LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Trilwych

Minions (new with 3.0)

Trion's official intro: http://community.riftgame.com/en/2014/09/16/introducing-minions/

RiftGrate's guide to minions: http://riftgrate.com/2014/10/27/guide-minions-system/

2m6wg83.jpg

The idea behind them is to collect Minion Cards and then send them on Adventures that reward you with notoriety, minion experience, artifacts, dimension items/keys or crafting/gathering materials. There’s even some valuable minion-only drops like Attainium Crystals used in upgrading gear of all tiers.

This is certainly a neat subsystem that can appeal to all playtypes and is structured in such a way that is easily monetizable for Trion (though you can certainly just stick with the single adventure slot, though I doubt most people would---I only have 2 slots now!).

So far I've gotten a bunch of dimension items ranging from building blocks to a purple-quality building. Notoriety---which I opened on the wrong character, oops. Artifacts are my least favorite adventure because I feel people should be out looking for them, since they're a major attraction for exploration. Crafting mats are my favorite. (**Note about crafting materials adventures---whatever level toon you CLAIM the finished adventure on is the level of crafting materials you get. So if you want level 60-plus crafting materials even though your crafter is level 40, you must claim on a level 60 toon.)

Right now, while the autumn festival is active, you can get festival-related adventure cards too. I expect Trion will do this for all festivals. The downside is that adventure cards are given purely by RNG, and DO refresh after a while if you don't take it.

• Upvote 1

I only have the 1 slot just now, but have gotten lots of stuff. I dont do dimensions so I just sell the stuff which is a good source on income.

The puzzle in Draunheim, which is just a version of the old board game mastermind, can give minions as a reward and you can do the puzzle as many times as you want in a row, so long as no one else is there. I did this the other day and got 6 new minions and a few duplicates and have sold them for around 90 platinum.

I only have the 1 slot just now, but have gotten lots of stuff. I dont do dimensions so I just sell the stuff which is a good source on income.

The puzzle in Draunheim, which is just a version of the old board game mastermind, can give minions as a reward and you can do the puzzle as many times as you want in a row, so long as no one else is there. I did this the other day and got 6 new minions and a few duplicates and have sold them for around 90 platinum.

So THAT'S where some minion cards are coming from. I noticed a whole bunch of duplicates on the AH yesterday and wondered what people were doing to farm them.

For anyone wanting to use this to make money, dont forget the minions are shared between all your toons on a server. This means the market will not last to long as people wont need to keep buying them again and again.

For anyone wanting to use this to make money, dont forget the minions are shared between all your toons on a server. This means the market will not last to long as people wont need to keep buying them again and again.

I don't have the patience for doing the puzzle for those minions, so no competition from me.

As for reselling dimension items, the prices severely tanked with the new AH fees, and it's only going to get lower with the additional influx from minion adventures. Buyer's market, definitely.

I am still getting a least 1 piece a day worth at least 10 platinum, so not to bad. Most of it sells for little, but getting so much of it I still dump it on the AH and people still buy it. I dont care about making huge sums of money from it, lots of little amounts soon add up.

I got a number of minions from various achievements and nightmare rifts. One easy achievement with a minion is near Gyel fortress (spelling?). You go to Gyel porticulum, and there's an old ship right next to it. You get on top of the ship, there's this big chain going from the end of the ship towards the fortress. Jump on the chain and walk to the end of the chain. When you get to the end, jump on the thing that connects the chain to the fortress. It takes just a few minutes and you get an achievement and a minion.

I've unlocked 4 minion slots now, it's pretty addictive!

I agree that artifact rewards probably isn't the best idea -- but then i also don't like the fact that you can track artifacts, and that there are artifact zone events. When I started the game, artifacts were a nice little prize for exploring and looking at some harder to see places.

In general, exploring in the game is far less fun to me now than at the start. In SL and NT regions, exploring feels less rewarding, it's harder or often impossible to climb on rocks. So when I go to explore, I often end up wasting my time and having to go back and go around stuff. Old zones were smaller, but there was generally a way to climb everywhere, going outside questing areas was an adventure.

^-I'll look into that easy minion achievement... ;)

And I agree that Trion has iteratively diluted the great exploration draw that was artifact collecting. The daily login gift gives one too, after all. Meh. At least there are still puzzles, but I never do those.

I'm tempted to buy REX with platinum to open another minion adventure slot. Gah.

Also, the entrance to the Goboro puzzle is very close to that chain. I never finished the puzzle but it was still fun to get there and look at it, it looks interesting (in order to get to puzzle, you need to click a door knob in a garbage pile, but it's easy to miss it, so it's best to look at youtube videos for exact location).

Also, the entrance to the Goboro puzzle is very close to that chain. I never finished the puzzle but it was still fun to get there and look at it, it looks interesting (in order to get to puzzle, you need to click a door knob in a garbage pile, but it's easy to miss it, so it's best to look at youtube videos for exact location).

If you do try that puzzle set aside a good chunk of time, it took me over an hour, it is very frustrating at times but good fun. Also if you have the graphics at max you should get some nice screenshots

I've unlocked 4 minion slots now, it's pretty addictive!

I agree that artifact rewards probably isn't the best idea -- but then i also don't like the fact that you can track artifacts, and that there are artifact zone events. When I started the game, artifacts were a nice little prize for exploring and looking at some harder to see places.

In general, exploring in the game is far less fun to me now than at the start. In SL and NT regions, exploring feels less rewarding, it's harder or often impossible to climb on rocks. So when I go to explore, I often end up wasting my time and having to go back and go around stuff. Old zones were smaller, but there was generally a way to climb everywhere, going outside questing areas was an adventure.

With Dreamweaving needing so many artifacts it was bound to happen. I'm running all my toons on both accts. through the Autumn Fest dailes and racking up about 200 ribbons a day after breaking the artifacts down.