LOTROCommunity

I think the Beorning class is fun

The generally poor quality of Update 15 is kind of embarrassing. But in spite of all that, I'm having a lot of fun playing a new Beorning.

There are so many things about this class that are so very wrong. But I find myself not really caring, because I'm having so much fun. Just about everyone else seems to be having fun, too.

If I tried, I could probably write a whole page of bug reports and complaints about this new class. But I'm not even tempted to, because I don't want to stop playing!

I honestly haven't had this much fun in LOTRO in years. Maybe it's not Turbine's best work, but it has restored some of my faith in the studio's ability to make games that people actually enjoy playing.

I'm not saying everyone should run out and spend $10 on this. But if you happen to have 1000 TP on your account, I think you might enjoy playing a Beorning more than a couple storage upgrades.

I'll probably be back to my usual cynical self in a week or two, but for now, I'm going to go turn into a bear and kill some stuff!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tried the Beorning class. Figured I would try taking one through their starter zone to see what it played like.   Was not expecting it to just dump me in Archet after less than 10 mins of play. Was

I just swap my racial (Norn) Elite slot if I feel the urge to play as a bear (or Raven or Snow Lepard or Wolf) ...   Skills While transformed, your weapon skills are replaced with the following

Wait! - what is this wizardry?

How many mithril coins did they pay you for this "unsolicited" endorsement?

:Y

None. But I think I may be suffering from a honey-cake induced psychosis.

I don't think I've spent more than an hour or two at a time in LOTRO since Tower of Orthanc raids during RoI. But I played my Beorning for five hours straight tonight. On a weeknight!

I had my bear/cat/seal fun in WoW, which was very polished, so this wouldn't be enough for me to even try if I was still in-game and had the TP stash... I think the key to enjoying it, as you say in your post, is simply to not care about "investing" in it (about mechanics, the lore, balance, utility in groups, etc.), and that applies to LotRO as a whole now anyway.

Don't spend actual cash, don't buy store stuff to make it "better" like those stat books or LI things or whatnot... But if you can get it free, by all means, right?

Glad you're having some fun now, so enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

I look forward to the return of our cynical-yet-oddly-happy Mithril Overlord.

I had my bear/cat/seal fun in WoW, which was very polished, so this wouldn't be enough for me to even try if I was still in-game and had the TP stash... I think the key to enjoying it, as you say in your post, is simply to not care about "investing" in it (about mechanics, the lore, balance, utility in groups, etc.), and that applies to LotRO as a whole now anyway.

Yes, the whole shapeshifting aspect (and the class design in general) is very primitive compared to druids in WoW. I stopped playing that near the end of Burning Crusade, which people have since told me was the pinnacle of druid flexibility as a hybrid class.

I think you're right. Lowering my expectations from Turbine has finally paid off by pleasantly surprising me with something fun. It's sort of an uncanny feeling.

I just swap my racial (Norn) Elite slot if I feel the urge to play as a bear (or Raven or Snow Lepard or Wolf) ...

250px-Becomethebear.jpg

Skills

While transformed, your weapon skills are replaced with the following skill set (and the right side of the skill bar is disabled).

Skill Activation.png Tango-recharge-darker.png Description 1
33px-Swipe_%28Become_the_Bear%29.png
 Swipe ¼ 0 Lash out with bear claws, damaging foes in front of you.   25px-Redirect_Arrow.png
33px-Brutal_Swipe.png
 Brutal Swipe ¼ 0 Strike foes in front of you with bear claws, making them vulnerable. 2
33px-Heavy_Swipe.png
 Heavy Swipe ¼ 5 Swipe at your foes knocking them back. 3
33px-Maul_%28Become_the_Bear%29.png
 Maul 1½ 5 Slash repeatedly at foe. 4
33px-Roar.png
 Roar ½ 10 Roar, giving allies might. 5
33px-Charge_%28Become_the_Bear%29.png
 Charge 3¾ 15 Hold down to charge at foes.

And even though the skills you get while transformed are not the most powerful, it is fun sometimes :D

• Upvote 2

Starting a beorning at level 1 might have saved it from disaster. It allows players to revisit the nostalgic places in starter areas/Eriador on a class/race they never played before, and fondness for early game memories combines with the nuance of the new class.

I was logged in to share some conversations in /world and get some perspectives, so far all the reactions I've heard have been overwhelmingly positive. But the worst of the officially posted "known issues" with beorning start with the legendary item mess, and the 'Shadows of Angmar' areas the new beornings are still going through are mercifully light on grind and sparing them from buggy microsystem management (and broken armor sets) they will encounter after 50 onwards.

But by then, folks will already be too invested into their toons to stop playing them - again the smart decision to let beorning experience begin at 1. 

In all honesty it does sound like a fun leveling toon for casual landscape content, which hits the spot for many altoholic 'levelers' still playing. But I wonder how many will keep playing and giving class feedback after they bring their beorning to 100, rather than simply setting it aside and rolling a new beorning.

I wonder how it performs in groups, an aspect that was very neglected in beta due to inability to autolevel it. Please keep posting your thoughts as you progress with it.

I'm glad you're having fun, Fredelas!

Since I'm Premium, the only way I'd start a beorning is if they do one of those "free VIP trials" like they did last year so I could get all the VIP unlocks for it.  I have more than enough points for the class unlock, so maybe someday.

I bought it with points that I have accumulated with my lifetime membership. Haven't actually played it since round 2 of beta. Same goes for Central Gondor or the Epic Battle. Probably won't get around to actually playing this update until sometime in December. Hopefully all of these bugs are fixed by then (yeah right, who am I kidding). I'm glad that you're at least having fun with it. Hopefully I'll be able to share your opinion, but I'm not too sure based off what I experienced in beta 2...

Starting a beorning at level 1 might have saved it from disaster. It allows players to revisit the nostalgic places in starter areas/Eriador on a class/race they never played before, and fondness for early game memories combines with the nuance of the new class.

"Nuance" is probably not the correct term to apply to anything Turbine does now. :)

I was logged in to share some conversations in /world and get some perspectives, so far all the reactions I've heard have been overwhelmingly positive.

Not surprising, given that the remaining players MUST be both "blind" Tolkien enthusiasts (i.e. don't actually care about appropriate lore application in a game environment as long as lore exists) and pro-Turbine (or don't give two shits about Turbine, I suppose). I'd be shocked if there was a "meh" response because at this point I think even the remaining players are desperate for something new, when even the epic storyline has fallen in quality.

But the worst of the officially posted "known issues" with beorning start with the legendary item mess, and the 'Shadows of Angmar' areas the new beornings are still going through are mercifully light on grind and sparing them from buggy microsystem management (and broken armor sets) they will encounter after 50 onwards.

But by then, folks will already be too invested into their toons to stop playing them - again the smart decision to let beorning experience begin at 1. 

In all honesty it does sound like a fun leveling toon for casual landscape content, which hits the spot for many altoholic 'levelers' still playing. But I wonder how many will keep playing and giving class feedback after they bring their beorning to 100, rather than simply setting it aside and rolling a new beorning.

So in another thread, we posited that starting at level 50 was a cash grab for Turbine in that they hoped people would buy all the accelerator shit in the store, but I think you're right; adding a new class like this is most appropriate for alt-holics who don't care about endgame anyway (because there is none). Starting at 1 would have been the best decision, but obviously Turbine can't do "best."

I wonder how it performs in groups, an aspect that was very neglected in beta due to inability to autolevel it. Please keep posting your thoughts as you progress with it.

Does it really matter? Placing a half-baked class like this in a group setting will only bring out even more problems with it, so keeping it solo for the beta-on-live feedback seems most appropriate---why bother with bug reports when everything on BR was apparently ignored. :P Or maybe players will be more apt to just have all-beorning groups for silliness anyway. (I do remember all-druid groups back in WoW, quite fun.)

I duoed a bit with a beorning. Unlike Wow's druid, you can't stay in bear mode forever. The base gameplay is that you build rage as a human, and use it as bear (and as human also sometimes). The rage decay out-of-combat means that it is best at low levels to stay in combat. In my duo, we actuallu soloed mobs while the other beorning went to pull the next one.

The trees are a bit messed up, with low-level bonuses applying to level 40 skills. The bear form skills are pretty OP, the question is how often can you manage to use them. There is no pause for regen between fights, as you don't need power and you can heal yourself.

I tried the beorn in beta and my opinion on it is that DDO got the better version of the "class", just judging by some DDO videos I have seen.  I played a WOW druid for 5 years (the entire time I played), lets not compare this new "class" to that, ever.   If the WOW druid was remotely close to a beorn I would have abandon mine at level 10.  Of course 70 levels later when WOTLK hit the class was still one of the best tank/DPS/healers hybrids in the game (with 2 DPS modes cat and boomkin, melee/ranged).   Fun to play for sure. 

With all that said I don't want to be a total debbie downer.   I think players who have never played a shapeshift in WOW may enjoy this class, maybe even some that did.  Most of the players left playing tend to be altaholics with 10-14 toons so they will welcome this class.  Being someone who can only manage 3 or 4 toons at a time, I can't say I'd spend real money on this if I was still a regular player, there's just so much missing that I wish was there.    I'd never abandon my tank classes (guardian/warden) for this. 

I played one from beta 2 til the end of the beta.  The cosmetic choices certainly got worse as time went on.  If you can get past that I think the class can be enjoyable if you play like me and enjoy chain pulling lots of mobs in one pull.  There was a lack of ranged pulling in the beta modes, not sure if that has changed live or maybe I missed something?   For an MMO losing players left and right, this may be just what it needs to keep some of the remaining players and possibly bring back a few for the time being.  I apparently am not their target audience.   What they were trying to accomplish with the class was keep the nymphonics of the world happy, and it might do just that!

The class has a few bugs that's for sure, but at least you can enjoy the best content Lotro has ever offered with a beorn, levels 5 through 65.       

Well 1000 TP would only cut it for current VIP or lifetime membership holders.

An additional char slot might be needed too which brings it to 1295. Then for premium it needs the class trait slot unlocks which I think are rather crucial to a class. Not sure about the bears but I would be surprised if it was any different.

So while I would have enough TP saved up to get all this I really do not want to spend my points on trait slot unlocks.

Maybe I will get the bundle and try it but I would feel like playing a crippled class without the traits which makes me think to wait for a sale which will likely be off for several months.

Well let's not forget people like me would have to delete a character since the slots are maxed out.

Another example of "shut up and take my money" and Turbine going "no".

Well let's not forget people like me would have to delete a character since the slots are maxed out.

Another example of "shut up and take my money" and Turbine going "no".

you have 17 character slots? ( i think that is the max...  it could be even hirer now.)

uh...  if you really wanted to try the class that badly... why not just roll one on another server?

honestly though, this discount DDO druid...  the DDO version is rather a shadow of WoW's version...  i just can't work up the interest.  & with no legitimate end game, i actually can't see a reason to experiment with new class mechanics.

so aside from seeing the Beorning intro...  i have already gone through the early game for each previous class (all past level 50)  i have no desire to do it again.

i have the legacy lifetime TP, but for myself, there really is no point.

you have 17 character slots? ( i think that is the max...  it could be even hirer now.)

Well that's another one of those things how Turbine disrupted my LOTRO play.

I started out with several accounts, that's where the characters were. On the same server. So along comes f2p but hey you can just continue what you are doing, right? No, they made VIP as a method of getting a reasonable amount of the game a no-op. You have to put lots of cash in - per account. So I switched to one account and made mules in there.

Okay, what---are the engines/coding behind DDO/LotRO really so different that they couldn't clone from DDO?

the animations are the same.

DDO's version has DPS (wolf form) Tank (bear form) & Support (druid form)

so it couldn't be a complete port.  hence the Lotro version, whilst launched, is still in early stages of development & will go through many changes.

whilst one could argue that skinchanges had more than just bear forms (mentions of other animal sounds at night in "The Hobbit" than just the single bear)  it would be hard to justify multiple transformations, when the cornerstone "Beorn" only ever became a bear.

regardless,  the version in Lotro doesn't pique my interest. i am certain, i won't be playing one.  ;)