LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Belechannas

Warlords of Draenor Launch

Midnight Pacific time tonight.

Blizzard, in suitably over-the-top fashion, apparently commissioned this, um ... eye-catching ... promotion in Times Square today (photos courtesy of wowhead.com):

433110.jpg

433099.jpg

433105.jpg

Yes, that's a yellow cab, with a huge orcish battle-axe ("Gorehowl") embedded in the roof and a "Flat Fare Draenor" decal on the side...

I have been playing WoW recently. So many nice small improvements to the game. It a great game.

I will be curious how people rate WOD after playing for a while. I hope it's excellent.

I'll give Blizzard some credit, they can market like a boss.

No cosplay girls is fail!  It wasn't even cold in NYC today.  Just cold enough-

So, the launch went about as you would expect.

Very high server populations, a few issues with quest bottlenecks, and some server instability.

The highest level of frustration (for me at least) was in the starter instance, where there were a few bottlenecks that took several minutes of clicking on the same object as hundreds of others and hoping your click "registered". My server crashed twice during the first couple hours. There were a LOT of people...

After getting out of the intro and into the landscape world, things got a bit better as people spread out a bit and (likely) the server population started to drop a bit as the hour got later. There were a few periods of severe server lag, and frequently mobs were slow to appear as you approached them (aka "reduced awareness" in LotRO).

People generally seemed to be in love with the first landscape zone, and enjoying the quests to the extent the lag allowed.

Pft.  I logged in today at 3pm my time with a queue of 4,500.  3.5 hours later I'm down to 2,500.

The good news I suppose is that the expansion has been getting very favourable reviews by both reviewers and players.

Blizzard's Community Manager cleverly tried to shift blame for all the lag onto the players, telling them the game was fine and it was their computers' fault.

Oh, wait. Wrong game. He didn't say anything like that. What he actually said was:

It's absolutely our fault. We obviously expected an increase in logins, and prepared for well above what we were expecting. The actual amount is far above even that. We have to prepare new hardware and software to actually install. Nothing can be done until that's ready.

They are doing server hardware upgrades right now.

An hour-by-hour detailed update on the status of various problems and work to address them is here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15270807748#1

Having run a second character through the first landscape area last night, I can say that the improvements to quest bottlenecks are extremely noticeable and significant. One quest where the item respawn took 5 minutes for my first character now takes seconds.

Once you got through the queue, the play experience was also much more stable and enjoyable than the previous night, with little noticeable lag and no disconnections.

• Upvote 2

Good to see they're much more honest and open. I suppose when you're the big dog of MMOs, you don't have to lie and try to hide anything like shitter games do.

• Upvote 1

It's funny how a company can actually be successful by making a great product. As opposed to doing an awful job with an MMO, and doing everything on the cheap, and and trying to hide that.

Well, gotta give Blizzard credit, they were caught on the wrong foot with server instability and lag for the first two days, but whatever they did during the 4-hour maintenance early Saturday morning resulted in huge improvements.

No lag or instability, and population caps have been put high enough that there were negligible (5-10 min), or no, login queues on my server for the rest of the weekend.

Nice job, Blizzard. Though I didn't care for how the removed instantaneous hybrid class builds with their super-streamlined non-trees in Pandaria, they still know how to run an MMO...

Still wish Blizzard had gotten to do LOTRO instead of Turdbin and Wanker Bros >=(

Did I mention how I love all your new names for TB/WB? lol!  +1

We need to compile a list of all the one you have come up with over time, hehe

Still wish Blizzard had gotten to do LOTRO instead of Turdbin and Wanker Bros >=(

I totally agree. They should have taken over after Moria - and kept improving the game and making great content.

WoW's Executive Producer apologizes for the problems during the first two days after launch, and gives everybody five free days of play time:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15269759060#1

WoW Community:

I know how much everyone was looking forward to this expansion, and once you were able to get in and start having fun, all the comments I've seen indicate that this is one of our best yet. But the quality of the content does not excuse the subpar launch experience we delivered, and I apologize for that.

The first two days of the expansion were not a great experience, with many of you facing high queues or significant gameplay problems. We worked around the clock to tackle the demand issues and technical challenges, and fortunately things started looking better on Saturday. While millions of you were able to get in and play over the weekend, with many already reaching level 100, others still ran into very lengthy queues, particularly on the highest-population realms.

To help address this, we’ve expanded the new instancing tech we used to improve queues on Saturday and we’re continuing the process of applying that to raise the capacity of all realms again. This will result in approximately double the prelaunch capacity on each realm, which should greatly reduce queue times for most realms if not eliminate queues altogether.

In recognition of the difficulties so many of you ran into when trying to play over the first few days, we're adding five days’ worth of extra time to every subscription in the Americas, Oceania, and Europe that was active as of Friday, November 14. Things are already in a much better place than they were going into the weekend, so I hope you’ll now be able to focus on having a ton of fun with this expansion.

I also hope you'll accept my apology and keep your faith in us. The support voiced by many of you as we worked through the challenges was immensely appreciated. We're extremely grateful to be part of such a passionate community. We love World of Warcraft, and we're very proud of this expansion, so stumbling out of the gates like this was very disappointing for all of us.

On behalf of the World of Warcraft development team, as well as everyone at Blizzard, thank you all again for your patience and understanding.

See you in Draenor.

Sincerely,

J. Allen Brack

Executive Producer, World of Warcraft

Figuring at least half their 6-7 million subs are in the areas affected, that's gotta be at least $7M they just gave away...

Personally, I've had no issues at all since the Friday/Saturday night maintenance.

WoW's Executive Producer apologizes for the problems during the first two days after launch, and gives everybody five free days of play time:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15269759060#1

Figuring at least half their 6-7 million subs are in the areas affected, that's gotta be at least $7M they just gave away...

Personally, I've had no issues at all since the Friday/Saturday night maintenance.

Well it appears they gained 2.6m subscribers this month alone so I would guess they can afford it;

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/11/20/world-warcraft-gains-2-6-million-subscribers-one-month

Well it appears they gained 2.6m subscribers this month alone so I would guess they can afford it;

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/11/20/world-warcraft-gains-2-6-million-subscribers-one-month

No point looking at figure like that this close to the launch of an expansion, it's well know that a huge amount of people had quit WoW and were waiting to return to try out WoD, give it two to three months then look at the subscription figures in my opinion

Tenth anniversary celebration begins in-game in a few hours, running through January 6:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/16889478/world-of-warcraft-10-year-anniversary-celebration-begins-tomorrow-11-20-2014

Featuring nostalgic versions of a classic raid (Molten Core) and a classic battleground (Southshore vs. Tarren Mill).

And an adorable pet (a Molten Corgi - get it?) for anybody who logs in while the event is running:

M41EUHKCB15K1407278832688.jpg

No point looking at figure like that this close to the launch of an expansion, it's well know that a huge amount of people had quit WoW and were waiting to return to try out WoD, give it two to three months then look at the subscription figures in my opinion

3 million extra subscribers * 3 months is pretty decent money, I'd say.

3 million extra subscribers * 3 months is pretty decent money, I'd say.

True, but it's only a temporary increase, the bigger picture is to look at regular income, not short term increases in revenue.

True, but it's only a temporary increase, the bigger picture is to look at regular income, not short term increases in revenue.

Also true, however if you can gain 3 million subs every expansion even if they leave again then the expansion more or less pays for itself plus quite a bit of spare change, even with 5 days free time given away. WoWs regular income isn't exactly small, this burst of additional income no matter how brief, probably ensure it's future for quite some time and give Blizzard a nice profit. Turbine (and every other MMO producer) can only dream of such a figure.

They do need to desperately fix something... 

Mob bottlenecks.   You know the odd quest where you have to get 10 warg hearts, and it takes about 40 wargs to get those 10 hearts?  Also copied to the letter from WoW as is most of LOTRO *snickers*

That's my one huge gripe with WoW, the fact that devs tend to code for a population of 500 per server.  Mining was much more relaxing on LOTRO I'll tell you that much...  Though now that my Hunter's got skinning and mining being handled... gonna really enjoy the other crafts.  Oh and, fuck herbalism methinks, not going through THAT gathering nightmare competing with half the server again.

Now ... during the two days of lag... I MAY have compared WoD's launch blunders as very LOTRO-like hehehehehehe.  May explain why they fixed it so damn fast =P

tl;dr I got me a Winged Guardian mount.

edit: BTW.... Runs MUCH lighter than LOTRO, and that's graphics on ultra while *flying* around.  On a clear day I can see GW2 off in the distance.

That's my one huge gripe with WoW, the fact that devs tend to code for a population of 500 per server.  Mining was much more relaxing on LOTRO I'll tell you that much...  Though now that my Hunter's got skinning and mining being handled... gonna really enjoy the other crafts.  Oh and, fuck herbalism methinks, not going through THAT gathering nightmare competing with half the server again.

While I agree it's quite frustrating to find unclaimed mining nodes in WoW, and it is slightly harder to progress than in LOTRO I do have to disagree that LOTRO mining was more relaxing, I and many other found it extremely frustrating and annoying to mine, there just weren't enough nodes for everyone back then (maybe it's better now I don't know), I remember a period of time when the LOTRO forum was flooded with posts where people were bitching, whining and even raging because every time they went for a node it would be a race to get there first and how people used to "steal" nodes while the person who was there first was fighting a mob that had interrupted them mid mine.