LOTROCommunity

General gaming frustration in late 2014

I'm having a harder time finding a post-LOTRO game than I thought.

LOTRO has done terrible damage to my trust in anything that is enforced-updates online. I always knew about the potential trouble, that the company will dumb down the game to attract wider audiences while they hope to keep the existing people with investments (in the case of RPGs huge investments) in. I just never knew how brutal exactly that would be. I also don't generally like the concept of being out of luck when they turn the servers off.

I started off gaming Wing Commander. That was awesome. Along came Privateer which I quite frankly never remotely understood (which might explain why I like but don't get Eve now). No biggie since along came DooM and Duke Nukem3d. So much LAN fun. Some space games. Tie Fighter with a different LAN. Awesome. Tried flight sims but could never get used to the swivel issue and UI complications. Half Life was a good one. The new toy was wargames, after sims didn't work out. Some very good games 1999-2003. Unfortunately all gone now. Not a sustainable hobby. Worst of all all the websites and forums are in serious decline, too. Tried flight sims again, still failed. Also, stupid DRM really ruins game fun for me. So a couple FPSes fill the void, I don't game much. I would have tried WoW early enough if it wasn't for the cartoonish look.

LOTRO was awesome until it was stabbed in the back by Kate Paiz, Fernando Paiz and whoever put them in charge before the WB takeover.

Oh and I loved that realistic Formula 1 game they had in the 1990s. When they were still allowing competition. Today? One semi-arcade F1 game, with an exclusive license. No demo, no sales, no information except fake trailer videos. Not biting.

So, that's what, a million games and nothing to play? Have cash. Would give to good game.

The MMO thing takes dents. As posted, I really don't like the recent Trion stunts and TESO has turned sour on many. I still play Eve but I dunno what I'm doing there. Star Trek Online is nice but it just isn't engaging enough compared to what we had.

Do I have to hope for an open source game? The whole situation is ridiculous.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah mine too. I really hope they'll manage to make it good     Another titles imho worth to keep your eye on: 1. Sui Generis - they have really small budget, like 10x smaller than PoE or Torment

I'm feeling the same way.  I just feel better over-all when I stay off the gaming computer.  I have a lot of magazines and books that piled up while I've spent so much time playing, and it feels a lot

Hi Warspeech, I actually undeleted my characters last week out of frustration with the other mmos I'd been trying. None of them grabbed me and I came to realise that fundamentally tab targeting mmor

I've never played LAN games, only pure SP or MMOs.

These days, with the exception of SP games, I keep my expectations as fluid and modest as possible; find a particular thing(s) in a given game that's interesting and glom onto it, but keep an eye on the people behind it as well. Be ready to bail, but not before I wring out as much enjoyment as I want to. It is what it is. :/

Open source, no idea. There's always abandonment risk there, the same as with commercial projects. Crowdsourcing? Similar risks. Consoles? At some point when the world isn't producing something that grabs you, you have to adjust your own expectations and just move on, unless you have the power to change it yourself. Accumulating too much frustrating angst over mere entertainment is unhealthy in the long run. :)

I think a lot of folks are in a similar boat, Darmokk.  Tried ESO and EQ2 some after leaving LOTRO.  No luck.

I'm looking forward to Dragon Age Inquisition while dabbling in EQ Landmark and awaiting EQ Next.  If EQ Next doesn't pan out for me and my family... whew... perhaps my days of MMOing are over.  At some point, a company is going to have to make a sustainable game in a niche that works and stick with it...and allow me some stability. 

Finally tried WoW.. yes... World of Warcraft.

Seems like Turbine decompiled WoW with a $20 piece of software and added Tolkien skins to it before having a guatemalan monkey recompile it with a soggy coconut shell.

That said, gonna be on that game for a while, keeping me quite amused to say the least.

Exact same PC as when I last played LOTRO... can see way further into the distance.  Have yet to find myself frozen in place.  Have yet to have a quest bug out on me (Lv45).

Really fuckin wish Blizzard had gotten the Tolkien IP instead =(

Would have been a bit more cartoonish, sure, but waahaaay higher quality.  Imma "heydt" my first toon to 90, decide if I want the new expansion to hit 100 or "heydt" a couple more classes before that, then see about raiding guilds and such.

I'd hit an RP server, game looks cool enough for it... but experience has taught me that those people take things WAY too seriously at hand, unless one of you knows an RP server/guild where it's not the end of the world if you say OOC that have to logout because power just went out.

Actually Codemasters F1 game is pretty good. It can be as realistic or arcady as you like, with many difficulty settings to play with. Disclaimer, I haven't played the very latest version, but regularly play the previous one, it needs a controller or racing wheel as it doesn't really work that great with a keyboard.

Elite: dangerous out next month. Dragon Age next week if you like your rpg, although it will follow on from the other 2 so if you haven't played those it may be a problem.

My goto games at the moment are;

TF2 - years after release I still play this classic

Hearthstone

Divinity: original sin

Football Manager

I haven't regularly played an mmo in a while although I have been trying the beorning out.

Was the F1 game you refer to in the 90's called 'World Circuit' by any chance?

Your gaming history is uncannily similar to mine Darmokk.

I notice you didn't mention the Star Control series :/

Those were super good IMO.

The quest games by Sierra were also tops :)

Also, stupid DRM really ruins game fun for me.

I hate it as well, but remember that every MMO = DRM too. You have played Lotro for so many years, but it is using DRM too.

To just put DRMs like Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc into perspective.

===========================

There are plenty of single player or non-mmo multiplayer games out there, ones that you don't have to update even if they are on online DRM systems like damn Steam (if you remember to turn off auto-update), don't get me wrong I don't like Steam or other DRMs as well, but it is possible to have basic control over your software with them. (aside of ownership :/

Nowadays it is propably best time for non-mmo gaming since early 00s, there are many things that suck or are downwight bad in industry, but at the same time there have not been so many good titles released /upcoming as there are now since 2003 or so.

Sure many AAA SP & non-MMO games suck balls, but there are some that do not + plenty of smallre budget awesomesauce games.

I can recommend few titles for you - you would just have to say what type of games you would be interested in.

PS. I agree about MMO % MMORPG genres which for me failed and is not interesting anymore due to inability to solve fundamental problems within it. I don't look for an MMO anymore. No point, until many long-standing problems can be fixed, which they can't be fixed realisically, not anytime soon.

For me the whole MMO thing is wearing off, no game seems to give me the experience I had back in the day with UO, followed by DAOC, SWG and LOTRO.

Back then I would be heavily involved in alliances and guilds, really into group content and mass pvp, I used to lose track of time playing those games, literally playing until early morning and then having to head off to work after only two or three hours sleep.

But lately I've not been able to really settle in any game, I 've found plenty of games that I really like and look forward to playing, but nothing that really draws me in any more, I just keep getting to that point where I think to myself "why am I doing X day in and day out? What is my goal playing this?" and I can't think of a single reason, yet I never felt this way in my earlier mmo's.

Maybe I'm growing out of mmo's now, or maybe they just don't make them the same as they used to, I don't know, but it's very frustrating, I can't even turn to single player games because they simply bore me and feel pointless.

Well, maybe I should just get the F1 game. It's not that I can't drop the $50 full price. It's just I would prefer to give them to somebody nicer than EA.

And I would *highly* prefer that the F1 organization just charges royalties from whoever thinks they can make a F1 game, instead of signing these stupid exclusive deals.

IP exclusive deals are *really* going on my nerves. And in this case they would also prevent an open source implementation.

EA make an F1 game? I was referring to this one by Codemasters;

http://www.codemasters.com/uk/f12014/360/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226580/

I would never buy a sports game from EA, they are usually shit.

Edit: I can't even find an EA Formula 1 game, is it a recent game?

EA make an F1 game? I was referring to this one by Codemasters;

http://www.codemasters.com/uk/f12014/360/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226580/

I would never buy a sports game from EA, they are usually shit.

Edit: I can't even find an EA Formula 1 game, is it a recent game?

Nah, NHL<insert year here> have tended to be good games. I know NHL04 was installed/played for years on some of my other computers.

FIFA, they've been ok. Haven't yet tried FIFA15.

Oh. Looks like I misremembered. No EA for the F1 game.

There's only one game, three cheers for exclusive licensing, but it is codehamsters. Furthermore, it is only the 2014 edition that is completely information-free. 2013 looks like a nice buy and they have information. So there it is.

The purchase reminded me of another source of gaming frustration: Steam.

I rarely use Steam, prefer to buy Amazon download. Steam is really annoying in that every time I log into the website to buy a game they say "access from new computer", never mind it is the same browser profile (that's what they mean) for years. Then I have to go into yahoo mail to get the code, and yahoo users know how that goes these days. Even if yahoo happens to be up right now, they use that to spam me right in my inbox.

At least steam stopped actually disabling my entire account after too long inactivity, requiring a human interaction to re-activate it (without any proof, just for the asking). That was really annoying.

Considering that I was one of the first vehement supporters of Steam when they came out I would say I am more than a bit disillusioned.

Oh. Looks like I misremembered. No EA for the F1 game.

There's only one game, three cheers for exclusive licensing, but it is codehamsters. Furthermore, it is only the 2014 edition that is completely information-free. 2013 looks like a nice buy and they have information. So there it is.

I hear 2014 is pretty much the same game as 2013,just a few minor changes and an updated roster. It's why I still play 2013 and didn't bother to buy the new one.

Amazon or GOG for me....

Yeah. The problem is that Amazon recently got into the annoying habit of selling Steam games (codes) and representing them as "Downloads" so that you can't see whether it is an Amazon download or a Steam install.

I should probably check back and contact them if that's still the case.

Well sadly I have a similar tale.

Started off with 3rd person shooters for online games.

Mixed in some PC DND games in that earlier/telephone modem era, ala Icewind Dale, BG, and Close Combat

WOW was my first real online MMO circa 2005/2006

While I played WOW and onwards I also played the Battlefield series. 

The thing that kept me playing MMO's so long was that it was the closest thing to matching my previous tabletop experience.

It was end of Moria that I made the switch to Lotro. 

March this year is when I started playing Rift full time.

I really wish Rift could have kept my interest longer, but it didn't. 

My game time has been reduced to maybe 20 mins a night on the mobile game clash of clans.  I have a clan I'm pretty social with.  So it gives me my community/social fix.

But in reality I want to play another game and have time to do so.

I want to play a real mmo with tabletop like mechanics.

I've seen a lot of ESO videos and write ups, but I just don't think it's enough to get me to spend money.   My old WOW guild suggested Wildstar but I just can't get into the idea of dropping that kind of cash for a game with uncertain futures.

I do miss the single player DND style games of making an entire group and then using turn based to control them all.   The problem with the current single player fantasy games is that they give you like 3 character/classes to choose from.  It's just not enough customization.

I'm in gaming limbo.  The only game I spent any money on this year was Rift.  It was money well spent.  I've even looked at the games just coming out and none look even slightly appealing.  

Obviously I wasn't the only one.  If capcom releases a real Resident Evil game soon I might buy that.  With my luck it will be terrible.

Another thing that really helps making me jump on a game is location-independence and with that I mean that I can play it from any computer in the house, or a computer I took to a hotel room, without lengthy reinstall procedures, much less DRM that has a limited set of installs.

LOTRO was very good with that. You could just copy the installed tree around and with the exception of UI mods you could just start it in any windows, Linux or mac if you used wine.

Steam is OK for that as you can have the steam folder on a network drive and use that, or copy the whole folder. It doesn't really care and there's self-repair. You log in once from somewhere and all you have to do is wait a bit more or less depending on how screwed up your tree is.

But some wargames have very draconical DRM. Limited number of activations, and no ability to give them back on uninstall. Install tree can't be copied because of random registry entries that it isn't smart enough to re-create (not counting DRM related items). The latter also applies to wargames that don't do it because of DRM, they do it because the developers have very little working knowledge of these things. All they want is make their tinny-tiny game that cooperates with nothing in Visual studio, and then they go to a publisher that might or might not slam on heavy DRM.

What year is it? Screw your random registry garbage. There is no reason not to be able to just start a program from an install folder.