LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Darmokk

General gaming frustration in late 2014

These security checks are really out of control.

GW2, which I found somewhere on a local HD, takes the cake for today.

Although the computer is the same as before and could have been marked as a device actually owned by me they insist on going through a security check via email. OK. Except their email is slow. But hey at least it's a nice email that doesn't trigger 55 of my spam filters. OK, game authorized.

Their authorization is not a code to enter into the game, it is in a link in a web browser, and it doesn't care that I clicked the link to allow computer 1 from computer 2. OK.

However, here is the cake: although I just clicked that security link in the browser on computer2, when I want to log into my GW2 web account on the same computer in the same web browser that just certified the security link they will then go into blocking mode again and do another round of emailing and link clicking.

Hello?

Hmn, you seems to be running into a lot of security issues, all the same from different games, games that I don't have the same issues with and aren't huge common issues that I know of.

I really don't know what to tell you.

I've never had issues with GW2 having to authorize a machine more than once, nor Rift, or Steam, or any other game/software that needs you to authorize a machine, except when Virgin changed my IP on me after updating a server and occasionally when Steam has a big update.

Are you sure you don't have a dynamic IP or something?

You're not using a satellite or mobile connection are you? They're well known to cause these kinds of auth issues, because the carriers tend to change IP's constantly.

Must be on your end, Darmokk! :P

Somewhere, you had mentioned that Rift always asks for login to patch. That rarely happens to me; I think I've had to re-login to Glyph once every couple months or so, and I have 2-factor auth enabled.

But asking for a web-click instead of entering a code in-game is weird.

i get the GW2 security check & email confirmation anytime i am away from the game for an extended period.

once cleared, it works just fine, and if i play consistently, i don't encounter any more checks.

as for the failed attempt?  i have no idea, but i just have my desktop, so...

I didn't use GW2 for a very long time. It's just idiotic to authorize the same computer twice. Three times in my case actually since you have to navigate away from the security turnaround confirmation pages, otherwise a new login with authenticate again (on the web).

I don't think I said that Rift requires login. Rift's problem is patching patcher in launcher and other "Glyth" antics.

Are you sure you don't have a dynamic IP or something?

You're not using a satellite or mobile connection are you? They're well known to cause these kinds of auth issues, because the carriers tend to change IP's constantly.

You are missing the point. I do have a new IP address, certainly since I last used GW2 which is about 24 hours after I bought it.

The point is the repeated authentication of the same IP address. I have the three emails all asking to authorize the same IP address, all sent within minutes, and I did confirm every one right away before taking new actions.

It is just people being sloppy and playing security theater without thinking it through.

It is late 2015 and nothing much has changed.

The LOTRO experience with years of labor backstabbed seem to have caused commitment issues with MMORPGs. I still consider TSW a game that would be suitable for me but IIRC it doesn't run in anything but Windows and I am not willing to chain myself to a single computer anymore, and I only have one windows machine.  I might get into it. I used to hate puzzles but now I am more looking forward to them.  I did have issues enjoying combat in there, though.

Wargames are still as much in the dumpster as a year ago with no progress. No open source games that I consider hot. Maybe that flight simulator.

My attempt to get into a racing game crashed and burned with EA antics.

It is all good since I am seriously bumping up my photography which is also exercise given the weight of my equipment.

For me 2015 has been a great year for games, in no particular order I have so far thoroughly enjoyed;

• Metal Gear Solid V
  • Fallout 4
  • Assassins Creed: Syndicate
  • Undertale
  • Tales From The Borderlands
  • Game Of Thrones  -  Telltale game (although the final episode was terrible
  • Cities Skylines
  • GTA V
  • Rocket League
  • Mario Maker
  • The Witcher 3
  • Ori and the blind forest
  • Bloodborn
  • and a remastered Grim Fandango

to name just a few.

One thing I have done this year though is not play a single MMO, I think MMOs are dead for me and that is kinda sad, unfortunately though unless someone really re-invents the genre I can't see myself getting back in to them.

On 26.11.2015 at 5:08 PM, Darmokk said:

My attempt to get into a racing game crashed and burned with EA antics.

DIRT Rally.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/

Recently released by Codemasters.

Opinions are this is what fans been waiting for a long time and that Codemasters finally came back to their old self and their times of glory 10+ years ago with this game.

6000 positive vs 450 negative ' user reviews' on Steam page.    I haven't played it myself (yet hopefully), but I hear nothing but great opinions about it.

+ Also 2015 is propably best year in terms of games  for at least last 10 years.   Diffrence is - if you want to buy and play a good game you cannot just go to your nearest most well known AAA developer like EA or Activision and take their latest title from your interesting genre like you could 10+ years ago.

In these times you actually have to put some effort into finding good game.

As for MMOs/MMORPGs.  Yeah dead for me as well.  It would really have to be some miraculous reinventing of the genre and brillant solutions to problems plaguing them for me to get into them again.

On 12/27/2015 at 1:59 AM, drul said:

As for MMOs/MMORPGs.  Yeah dead for me as well.  It would really have to be some miraculous reinventing of the genre and brillant solutions to problems plaguing them for me to get into them again.

FFXIV solved most of the complaints I had about MMOs, as I've generally liked it.  However, if you aren't willing to group up, you're gonna hate it as grouping is mandatory to advance the main story line.  That said, you might be able to distract yourself with crafting as that is an extremely complex crafting system as they made all of the professions interdependant on each other.

7 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

FFXIV solved most of the complaints I had about MMOs, as I've generally liked it.  However, if you aren't willing to group up, you're gonna hate it as grouping is mandatory to advance the main story line.  That said, you might be able to distract yourself with crafting as that is an extremely complex crafting system as they made all of the professions interdependant on each other.

I have played FF XIV in some beta before it's release.  While it was certainly better than this F2P trash we're given in last years, it did not fix most things I have against MMORPGs.  I have nothing against forced grouping, that is not the problem I have with MMORPGs.