LOTROCommunity

General gaming frustration in late 2014

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah mine too. I really hope they'll manage to make it good     Another titles imho worth to keep your eye on: 1. Sui Generis - they have really small budget, like 10x smaller than PoE or Torment

I'm feeling the same way.  I just feel better over-all when I stay off the gaming computer.  I have a lot of magazines and books that piled up while I've spent so much time playing, and it feels a lot

Hi Warspeech, I actually undeleted my characters last week out of frustration with the other mmos I'd been trying. None of them grabbed me and I came to realise that fundamentally tab targeting mmor

I do miss the single player DND style games of making an entire group and then using turn based to control them all.   The problem with the current single player fantasy games is that they give you like 3 character/classes to choose from.  It's just not enough customization.

Not entirelly sure what kind of games do you mean, but since you have mentioned Baldur's Gate earlier, then let me throw you some recently released or upcoming titles:

Divinity : Original Sin,  Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment Tides of Numenora

Well something amazing happened. You might have seen me posting about Update Hell before. Sometimes I can't play for extended periods and then there is so much crap coming down that I sit down on an evening and can't play that day because it's all busy.

Anyway, Steam did something right. It started updating itself and I was ready to go watch TV. But it actually has a deferred update now. The steam application itself doesn't enforce updating itself anymore. It starts working on the app updates and downloads using its own old version while downloading a new version of itself and finally -wait for it- it ASKS whether it should update itself.

I am stunned.

Well something amazing happened. You might have seen me posting about Update Hell before. Sometimes I can't play for extended periods and then there is so much crap coming down that I sit down on an evening and can't play that day because it's all busy.

Anyway, Steam did something right. It started updating itself and I was ready to go watch TV. But it actually has a deferred update now. The steam application itself doesn't enforce updating itself anymore. It starts working on the app updates and downloads using its own old version while downloading a new version of itself and finally -wait for it- it ASKS whether it should update itself.

I am stunned.

I really don't have any issues with Steam. I actually find it incredibly convenient to have almost my entire library of games in one place and cloud based (DVDs break and I'm regularly replacing, upgrading or reinstalling computers), with broadband speeds as they are now I can uninstall and reinstall as I need, Steam looks after patching games for me so that I don't have to go seeking them out, the store is intuitive, I regularly use the overlay to chat with friends and share screenshots whilst playing and I can add non Steam games to the library if I wish to use the overlay in those. Also the obvious convenience of purchasing games and playing them a short while later without leaving my seat is a good thing although not exclusive to Steam.

As far as Steam updating itself, it's never taken more than a few minutes for me. I wouldn't say I was a fan, it's hard to be a fan of a shop, but I will often prefer to buy a Steam key for a game instead of a non Steam boxed version if one is avaliabl for example and I very quickly switched to the Steam version of Lotro when it arrived.

I resisted buying WoW's battle chest for 4 euros (including a month of subscription) just last week. I am back in lotro at a friend's request to duo the new class through the best parts of lotro. We probably won't reach 100, but we are revisiting old places and having fun.

I don't think I will spend anything on video games until one of my kids is old enough to ask for it. Which might be in ten years.

I must be an idiot. I'm still content with GW2.  :)

But as I've told friends, that will most likely be my last online game. I enjoy it, but it eats up an insane amount of time that I could be spending doing other things. Lately I'm feeling a pretty strong desire to spend less time playing and more time reading and writing. Time to get back to what sent me to the internet in the first place.

;)

I'm feeling the same way.  I just feel better over-all when I stay off the gaming computer.  I have a lot of magazines and books that piled up while I've spent so much time playing, and it feels a lot more productive to read than it does to play these days.  Even though it's still essentially just sitting around, it doesn't drain me the way games do.

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile, WoD launch seems pretty botched.

And the world fails to be surprised.

Then again, playing LOTRO first did steel my nerves nicely for this kind of stuff.  Boredly cheapshotting the shills on the brutally inflamed forums while servers come back up ^_^

I'm in the same boat here.

I've been scouring MMORPG.com for a new game and the vast majority of them are themepark grindfests.

I won't play anything with a pay to win store.

It is very discouraging.

I just play Left 4 Dead on the Xbox or maybe Borderlands.

I may be done with MMORPGS until they grow up.

So the worst has happened. I bought F1 2013.

Holy cow. Me and the gaming industry are so far, so far out of sync. Let's lease aside that now Steam has after all decided to forcefully upgrade itself and let me wait. Open source software never does that.

The first thing about F1 2013 is that it has a raw console interface. On the PC. There is a dialog, full screen, with a single text entry box. Don't think pressing keys enters text. Don't think that the mouse is connected to a mouse cursor so that you can click on the text field to change that. No, you are expected to magically know that the return key is the equivalent to some random game controller key enabling text input. Terrible. I hate console interfaces so much. On PC, anyway. Never owned a console. Never will.

Gameplay. I drive around. Joystick does NIL. Why? This racing game doesn't support a joystick. Say what?

But that isn't all. I managed to buy, and I mean I had tried so far to avoid that, a racing game which has on/off only steering. I suppose if you buy a wheel and pedal hardware set then you get gradual steering. But now the thing goes like the 1986 Ford I once had where the only positions for steering are full left, middle, full right. I mean. WTF? I am so angry. It isn't the wasted $30. It is the humiliation that I ended up with this.

I can't find any indication that this game has any form of wing adjustments or allows you to try different tires.

Last but not least, it looks meh. It looks like it doesn't use PC graphics at all and runs at a TV resolution, or the texture quality for one anyway, all the time.

I'm feeling the same way. I just feel better over-all when I stay off the gaming computer. I have a lot of magazines and books that piled up while I've spent so much time playing, and it feels a lot more productive to read than it does to play these days. Even though it's still essentially just sitting around, it doesn't drain me the way games do.

I'm the same. I don't know if it is because I am finally growing up, but games just don't seem to be doing anything for me anymore like they used to do. I don't get immersed and quite frankly can take them or leave them. Nothing keeps me interested enough to make we desperately want to play it. I'm having so much fun reading at the moment.

I'm finding it weird and wondering if I should give up on all games. I was looking forward to Dragon Age Inquistion but don't know if I will bother.

Hi Mallorn!  long time no see!  :w

I've been thinking about you, because I'm awfully close to doing the "delete all characters and uninstall LOTRO" thing that you did.

Do you have any regrets or second thoughts about that, or any general advice on getting to that point and making the decision?

Hi Mallorn! long time no see! :w

I've been thinking about you, because I'm awfully close to doing the "delete all characters and uninstall LOTRO" thing that you did.

Do you have any regrets or second thoughts about that, or any general advice on getting to that point and making the decision?

Hi Warspeech,

I actually undeleted my characters last week out of frustration with the other mmos I'd been trying. None of them grabbed me and I came to realise that fundamentally tab targeting mmorpgs are all the same really. I've tried quite a lot of games and they all have the same grinds and repetition, so I thought at least with LOTRO I'm at cap, like the world, understand the lore and have all the nice things.

I got the new update and played through it fast. I preferred it to Dol Amroth. I thought the new BB was okay for a single play through but is mind numbingly boring and slow to do as a daily.

The new roaming threats are just rare elites which spawn in random places on the map and have a daily quest directing you to kill them. The "end game" is landscape dailies to get rep for 3 factions. It is a deep boring grind.

I'm glad I undeleted my characters as I did come to regret deleting them. It's nice to know I can log in whenever I want even if it is just to be in the game world without actually doing anything. I like going to the pool at Bywater and just find it peaceful to look at with the game music on.

I've been playing the game far too much in the past week similar to how I used to, spending ages doing the deeds for the new area. Its quickly become a habit that is not fun and takes hours upon hours of my time. I'm a bit OCD and the deed lists in LOTRO appeal to that flaw in me.

Watching that South Park freemium game episode really drove home to me just how silly we all are for putting up with annoying and unfun content which has been designed purely to cause addiction and frustration to make us want to make it easier for ourselves by purchasing items from the game store.

I think deleting and uninstalling was good for me as it was the only way I would've stopped playing. Having come back for a week, I've realised I've missed nothing and it's given me clarity. I don't need games in my life. I just play them out of habit.

Once again I'm uninstalling. I needed to return to LOTRO to see if the reason no other game has kept me interesed is simply because I prefer LOTRO for all its faults. I realised I don't. The landscape and setting are nice but everything else is just grind grind grind. I don't enjoy the gameplay but log in out of habit and feel compelled to do deeds etc.

Playing LOTRO this week has made me realise that I'm done with mmos. They've been such a huge part of who I was for so long the thought of not having an mmo in my life has been alien and strange to me. I've been trying to find an mmo to keep me interested, failing thinking it was the games fault when now I realise it is me: I've changed.

If you want to get away from the game and think the only way you can do that is by making sure you can not log in, then I would say yes delete your characters and uninstall.

I wouldn't give your gold and inventory away because the option to undelete for free is always there if you change your mind in the future.

I think If you have to ask yourself "Am I having fun?" then it is obvious what you need to do. It's a waste of time to play something out of habit, nostalgia or hope that it will get better if it is not fun. When you've had something in your life for so long it is difficult to let it go because you're so used you're used to having it there and it seems odd not having it there. But life is too short to waste your time. If there is other more productive and fun things to do with your time, then I say get rid of LOTRO.

• Upvote 1

Holy cow. Me and the gaming industry are so far, so far out of sync. Let's lease aside that now Steam has after all decided to forcefully upgrade itself and let me wait. Open source software never does that.

The first thing about F1 2013 is that it has a raw console interface. On the PC. There is a dialog, full screen, with a single text entry box. Don't think pressing keys enters text. Don't think that the mouse is connected to a mouse cursor so that you can click on the text field to change that. No, you are expected to magically know that the return key is the equivalent to some random game controller key enabling text input. Terrible. I hate console interfaces so much. On PC, anyway. Never owned a console. Never will.

Gameplay. I drive around. Joystick does NIL. Why? This racing game doesn't support a joystick. Say what?

But that isn't all. I managed to buy, and I mean I had tried so far to avoid that, a racing game which has on/off only steering. I suppose if you buy a wheel and pedal hardware set then you get gradual steering. But now the thing goes like the 1986 Ford I once had where the only positions for steering are full left, middle, full right. I mean. WTF? I am so angry. It isn't the wasted $30. It is the humiliation that I ended up with this.

I can't find any indication that this game has any form of wing adjustments or allows you to try different tires.

Last but not least, it looks meh. It looks like it doesn't use PC graphics at all and runs at a TV resolution, or the texture quality for one anyway, all the time.

To be fair, I did mention in my post that the game needs a controller with a stick (like an xbox controller) or a racing wheel. As you noticed, a keyboard is no good, I own an xbox controller for my PC and use that as the stick gives me gradual stearing.

http://www.codemasters.com/us/f12013/pc/faq/136/

You can adjust a lot to do with your car including the wings, as with existing F1 rules though you have to set your car up once for the race and you have a limited set of tires. You can change all of this during qualification or the practice session, it's all there. If you are still having trouble finding where to do this let me know and I'll maybe put up some screenshots or something. As I recall when you first start the game it throws you in to the Young Driver Test which is kind of like a tutorial so maybe you were in that?

Someone has gone through all the races and listed there recommended setups here for each race.

http://f1carsetup.com/index.php?/forum/130-f1-2013-setups/

ps. I also dislike the console interface, the actual racing itself though is good (without a keyboard!). Start off on easy difficulty then gradually turn off all the driver aids (assisted braking etc...) as you get better.

Been really enjoying the Elite Dangerous beta, but then I'm a sucker for space trading games. Currently has 2,500 star systems in this beta. They're talking about simulating the entire galaxy (400 billion star systems).

I keep meaning to give this a try, really looking forward to it.

The purchase reminded me of another source of gaming frustration: Steam.

I rarely use Steam, prefer to buy Amazon download. Steam is really annoying in that every time I log into the website to buy a game they say "access from new computer", never mind it is the same browser profile (that's what they mean) for years. Then I have to go into yahoo mail to get the code, and yahoo users know how that goes these days. Even if yahoo happens to be up right now, they use that to spam me right in my inbox.

There are wiki lists (Google i..e "games that need Steam", etc) that specify which games require Steam, Origin,Uplay to work.

New AAA games that have non-DRM (non-Steam,non-Uplay,etc) and DRM (Steam,Origin) versions are extreme rarity. Only upcoming AAA game I know of that will be like that is The Witcher 3 as it will have DRM free version on GoG.com. (boxed versions will propably depend on region, country I guess?)

CDProjekt is unique in DRM and DLC policy though, so I would not expect other game comanies making AAA titles to follow them.

The purchase reminded me of another source of gaming frustration: Steam.

I rarely use Steam, prefer to buy Amazon download. Steam is really annoying in that every time I log into the website to buy a game they say "access from new computer", never mind it is the same browser profile (that's what they mean) for years. Then I have to go into yahoo mail to get the code, and yahoo users know how that goes these days. Even if yahoo happens to be up right now, they use that to spam me right in my inbox.

At least steam stopped actually disabling my entire account after too long inactivity, requiring a human interaction to re-activate it (without any proof, just for the asking). That was really annoying.

Considering that I was one of the first vehement supporters of Steam when they came out I would say I am more than a bit disillusioned.

10 years from now, Steam will be considered 'evil' by many players.   It will go exactly same way like Google did.   10 years ago Google was nerd-star battling bad Microsoft.    Nowadays it is very diffrent.  It will be exactl same with Steam.

People need to stop to perceive corrations as people and making 'connection' towards them or such situation will be on endless loop with all new&growing corporations and/or products.

Modern gaming market, especially (but not limited to) AAA market is very diffrent from gaming market in 90s or early 00s.

Nowadays AAA gaming is mulitplatform.  AAA games limited to one platofrm are rare, there like 1-3 games like that per year and usually it is made because Sony or Microsoft paid lot of extra money to developer to close the game to Xbox or Playstation only, and even more - it is simply because studio is owned by Sony or MS directly.  It is expensive to made AAA game on 1-platform only so it is rarely made.

Anyway - nowadays when you want to buy AAA game on PC you simply need to spend this 10-20 minutes for research.  Check gameplay video on youtube or other such video service + read some forum posts or/and FAQ.

If you don't do this then you're risking nasty surprise of a bad port.

MMORPGs will not save you from this either. (not to mention that limiting yourself to MMORPGs will made you miss many great titles and genres)  More and more MMORPGs will be multiplatform and/or made with gamepad as main steering device in mind as well. 

Word of advice for racing games and joystiq - they do not support them anymore. Simple as that.

If you want gradual steering you either need wheel or for cheaprer option -  console game pad with analog sticks.  Joysticks nowadays are limited to flying airplanes / helicopters in some games.  You won't get joystick support in other games.

tl;dr

You need to spent some time researching game nowadays if you want to buy games succesfully.  No way around that.  Buying in blind, will get you bad results, especially when you're normal and have expectations.   Fortunatelly (in this overall un-fortunate situation) is that researching is VERY easy and quick nowadays.   Gameplays / let's plays are plenty, so are forum posts/FAQ.    

10 minutes is usually enough to research if some game is a good or bad technically (port, performance, UI, graphic and other options, game modes, etc) and concept&design wise.

I actually undeleted my characters last week out of frustration with the other mmos I'd been trying. None of them grabbed me and I came to realise that fundamentally tab targeting mmorpgs are all the same really.

Watching that South Park freemium game episode really drove home to me just how silly we all are for putting up with annoying and unfun content which has been designed purely to cause addiction and frustration to make us want to make it easier for ourselves by purchasing items from the game store.

MMO / MMORPGs are mosty primitive grind games.  Even in P2P times there were like this, just in F2P / cash shop titles proportions of grind vs. actual gameplay is even more skewed, so it's even more visible.

Just think of where actual gameplay in MMORPGs is and where it is not.  

In example - quests - if you have a quest for which you follow and arrow, to click highlighted items - then there is no gameplay in that at all.  No decision making, just going through the motions.   Yet most players seem to prefer that, as they play to get an arbitrary pixel-number as fast as possible.

Tab-target or non-tab target does not have anything to do with that.   MMOs where you need to aim (i..e Defiance), have exactly same grind and unfun addictinion mechanics as tab-target MMOs because aim /non-aim is not the reason for their existance.

Once again I'm uninstalling. I needed to return to LOTRO to see if the reason no other game has kept me interesed is simply because I prefer LOTRO for all its faults. I realised I don't. The landscape and setting are nice but everything else is just grind grind grind. I don't enjoy the gameplay but log in out of habit and feel compelled to do deeds etc.

Playing LOTRO this week has made me realise that I'm done with mmos. They've been such a huge part of who I was for so long the thought of not having an mmo in my life has been alien and strange to me. I've been trying to find an mmo to keep me interested, failing thinking it was the games fault when now I realise it is me: I've changed.

Good decision!

MMORPGs and most other MMOs are glorified facebook games.  There were always like that in big part, but instead of getting rid of that, they actually became even more like that.   Actual issues like RMT,  AI, static worlds & content that prevent creation of MMORPGs that are not facebook-like grinds  are not adressed. (ofc also because of technology limitations). 

This is not only companies fault,  this is also consumers fault for playing those kind of things those companies produce.

Should be called Path of Desync really.

It's pretty fun, but it feels way too short and - let's be true - it's a terrible grindfest.

Short?  It did took me a long time to complete all 3 acts - I think it took me like 25-40 hours for 3 acts on lowest 'diffculty'.

All hack&slash games are terrible grindfest.  If you want to play them at "end game" especially. That is true for all of them I know of ( Diablo, Torchligh, Titan Quest, Marvel Heroes, etc).   

Anyway imho PoE is good, althrough I won't play it again ever again propably because it is F2P.   It was first F2P game I've spent in,  I really dislike that even though I did spend money - I still do not "own" the game.  I would have to continue to spend money in cash shop to continue to enjoy full game experience.

It feels like I just rented PoE instead and I really dislike idea of renting games.  (full fledged virtual world mmorpg's might be only exception I could agree to do that).