LOTROCommunity

General gaming frustration in late 2014

Thanks about the F1 advice. I didn't mean to imply you mislead me.

I wonder whether somebody made a driver for a joystick that emulates a racing wheel set. That should be a relatively easy.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah mine too. I really hope they'll manage to make it good     Another titles imho worth to keep your eye on: 1. Sui Generis - they have really small budget, like 10x smaller than PoE or Torment

I'm feeling the same way.  I just feel better over-all when I stay off the gaming computer.  I have a lot of magazines and books that piled up while I've spent so much time playing, and it feels a lot

Hi Warspeech, I actually undeleted my characters last week out of frustration with the other mmos I'd been trying. None of them grabbed me and I came to realise that fundamentally tab targeting mmor

Been on my radar for a while now ...

Yeah mine too. I really hope they'll manage to make it good :)

Another titles imho worth to keep your eye on:

1. Sui Generis - they have really small budget, like 10x smaller than PoE or Torment, but they're doing interesting game and pushing ahead whole industry when it comes to physics in crpgs imho.   Video is really old and it is pre-aplha/alpha.  I also advise to look at other videos (also old,  but game is still in developement, they will show new ones closer to release)

2. Enderal

3. Torment Tides of Numenora

+ then there is The Witcher 3 incoming from AAA side of gaming.

Good times for crpg enthusiasts :)

• Upvote 2

You welcome :)

btw.  I've just remembered about another rpg project that is in the works for quite some time already and is going strong :

@OP

There is a LOT of interesting stuff happening outside of MMO(RPG) genre and outside of AAA console ports.  There is just some effort needed to know about this.  Limiting yourself to mmo sites and mainstream gaming sites like i.e. IGN or similar, won't get you info about many interesting stuff.

Playing LOTRO this week has made me realise that I'm done with mmos. They've been such a huge part of who I was for so long the thought of not having an mmo in my life has been alien and strange to me. I've been trying to find an mmo to keep me interested, failing thinking it was the games fault when now I realise it is me: I've changed.

I liked your post which is why I apologize, I'm going to snip the hell out of it.

For me it's a little different.  I'm not done with MMO's yet.  I just need to find one worth spending real world money on. 

I haven't changed, MMO's have.  Warcraft and Lotro are shells of their former selves.  The things that made the 2 games unique have been effectively removed.  The trait system in Lotro was definately one of the things that attracted me to the game.  As was the hybridity of the WOW 3 tree system.  Neither of these 2 things exists anymore.  Deep builds make players feel as if their characters are special.  Guardian 1 took 5 blue traits but I only took 4. 

What else has changed with MMO's that has chased me away other than character building?  In Lotro's case it's the lack of endgame.  Even though I have a bunch of alts, I'd rather focus on a single character I can enjoy at the level cap.   I'm not saying being an alt-er is a bad thing some people enjoy that, as I do on occasion.  

So for me it isn't that I'm changing it's the games that are changing, and not for the better.  I feel we are getting far less for the buck than what we got 8-10 years ago.   So to me the games changed more than I have.   IF Lotro was even remotely close to what was offer 2-3 years ago.  I'd still be playing.  But it's current form is unplayable, and not fun.  If there was a game that's like WOW BC era or Lotro Moria Era I'd be playing it today.

Bloody hell, now I even installed D3!

Apparently, my D3 account was compromised at some point last year(after which I tried to login and couldn't, so changed the password.

Apparently, they had banned my D3 account(for this reason), so had to submit ticket to get it unbanned.

I have it firmly secured now with the battle.net app.

I rolled back my account to pre-hack, because I noticed that someone had taken one of my chars(a monk)and levelled it to cap. I also had a crapload of gold that I personally hadn't earned, so rolled it back. The only illgotten gains I want are from TPB ;)

So, started from scratch again, just finished Act 1 on my Barbarian.

Yeah, there isn't much out there. The search for money has dumbed games down so much it's sickening. I'm really thinking about getting back to RPGs again. At least those were fun, with real people, and stories were original. I'd pay 20 a month for a decently made game that had some challenge and wasn't a WoW clone.

Been really enjoying the Elite Dangerous beta, but then I'm a sucker for space trading games.  Currently has 2,500 star systems in this beta.  They're talking about simulating the entire galaxy (400 billion star systems).

I've already paid for Star Citizen, but I think I'll be trying out Elite Dangerous when it comes out, because it sounds awesome.

Right, Star Citizen I have some hope in. I threw some money their way but I avoid absorbing any kind of information until somebody I trust tells me whether it sucks or not in a couple years.

I liked your post which is why I apologize, I'm going to snip the hell out of it.

For me it's a little different.  I'm not done with MMO's yet.  I just need to find one worth spending real world money on. 

I haven't changed, MMO's have.  Warcraft and Lotro are shells of their former selves.  The things that made the 2 games unique have been effectively removed.  The trait system in Lotro was definately one of the things that attracted me to the game.  As was the hybridity of the WOW 3 tree system.  Neither of these 2 things exists anymore.  Deep builds make players feel as if their characters are special.  Guardian 1 took 5 blue traits but I only took 4. 

What else has changed with MMO's that has chased me away other than character building?  In Lotro's case it's the lack of endgame.  Even though I have a bunch of alts, I'd rather focus on a single character I can enjoy at the level cap.   I'm not saying being an alt-er is a bad thing some people enjoy that, as I do on occasion.  

So for me it isn't that I'm changing it's the games that are changing, and not for the better.  I feel we are getting far less for the buck than what we got 8-10 years ago.   So to me the games changed more than I have.   IF Lotro was even remotely close to what was offer 2-3 years ago.  I'd still be playing.  But it's current form is unplayable, and not fun.  If there was a game that's like WOW BC era or Lotro Moria Era I'd be playing it today.

Are you really sure about that?  That you have not changed and that you would happily play game same as old WoW or Lotro?

Cause let me tell you one thing.  I had similar opinion to you and then I've tried playing exactly that on private server (WoW ofc).  There are servers out there that are exactly like vanilla, bc or tlk WoW down to little details. Perfectly stable, bug free, etc

What was the result?

I've bounced off it really fast.  Damn it was boring.

Then I've realized that my expectations have not stayed the same and it is not only about mmorpg becaming worse.   Yes mmoprg's became worse (imo), but my expectations have risen as well.

So i.e. Lotro would not only have to be better than it is now, and just go back to it's 'golden age' for me to play it.  It would have to be significantly better than it ever was. 

Being significantly better than it is now, would not have been nearly enough. I would not play Moria or even SoA Lotro. Lotro would have to be better than it was at it's best time.

Be aware the offline mode has been removed, prompting a lot of annoyed people

This has actually upset me quite a bit. I'm way more into SC than Elite, but I did plan to buy it once released. But I did intend to play it like a single player game. Even if that's still possible (but with the need to be online), I think it's a shady move.

Maybe I'll just stay away from it and continue the alpha journey in SC

I don't really see why "always online" is seen as so evil anymore. Broadband in the home is now like having running water or electricity. My pc is always online anyway, it'sno big deal.

There's still quite a few countries, and a lot of American states that still don't have broadband, I have quite a few friends in the US that can't get broadband and have to rely on very slow dial up or choppy satellite connections.

There's still quite a few countries, and a lot of American states that still don't have broadband, I have quite a few friends in the US that can't get broadband and have to rely on very slow dial up or choppy satellite connections.

Not sure I could cope living somewhere as backward as America. I lost broadband for a week recently, it was incredibly depressing!

I don't really see why "always online" is seen as so evil anymore. Broadband in the home is now like having running water or electricity. My pc is always online anyway, it'sno big deal.

It's "evil" because of a few reasons:

1. The user usually gains nothing from it.

2. When the 'always on' internet connection between player and game servers breaks down because of ISP issues, DDOS attacks or whatever other issues, the game is often completely unavailable

3. As Androclese wrote, not everyone have broadband. Some areas are still too thinly populated for ISPs to have a RoI to go and supply decent internet to those areas.

Some of those issues aren't relevant for Elite Dangerous though.

2. When the 'always on' internet connection between player and game servers breaks down because of ISP issues, DDOS attacks or whatever other issues, the game is often completely unavailable

3. As Androclese wrote, not everyone have broadband. Some areas are still too thinly populated for ISPs to have a RoI to go and supply decent internet to those areas.

There's also:

4. Always being online means you are always being monitored.

5. Always being online means developers can put out half-assed content and just update it later, or ask people to pay for DLC that would have otherwise been included.

Kinda reminds me of those situations where a game forces you to use some shitty third-party account to play it. Like 'Windows Live' or 'uPlay', where they try to stop people downloading illegal versions. Or when Steam refuses to let you play an offline game in offline mode. If gamers let them get away with this sort of shit, they'll try to get away with more. Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile and all that.

your carbon footprint must suck...  earth destroyer 3000.

it isn't like having it always on is cheaper, or provides you with kickbacks...  quite the opposite.  basically it is a really dumb concept.

anyone intending to hijack my CPU cycles, will find the prospect entirely impractical.  if i am not using my PC, i shut it down.

if i am not using my PC, i shut it down.

Same here. I guess I can understand the misunderstanding, I meant it is always online (when it is switched on!)

In this instance haven't they basically said they can't make the game they want without utilising some cloud computing, haven't they mentioned millions of galaxies and in order to achieve that they need to utilise some cloud computing

It is about control over game experience. (& money)

Offline means that:

1. Mods will be possible  (no addons in mmos are NOT mods)

2. Player have control whenever to apply patch or not or /and which patch version to play

3. Player/community will always be able to play the game, even if game company will shut down servers or bankrupt or anything else

It is about control of product and game experience and not about having internet or not.  (althrough ofc no offline sucks for those who can't get broadband)

In this instance haven't they basically said they can't make the game they want without utilising some cloud computing, haven't they mentioned millions of galaxies and in order to achieve that they need to utilise some cloud computing

Bullshit.  Gameplay is peer-2-peer and galaxy is made via procedular generation.  You don't need cloud computing.

Cloud computing for games is bullshit, always take what game companies say with grain bucket of salt.  Remember i.e. EA and Simcity? Cloud computing is nowadays used to PR necessity of always online and only that.  I am yet to see ANY game that use so caled cloud computing in any way.   

Tbh I find it hard to imagine what games feature nowadays would need so much compute power(and possible) that it would need to use i.e. dozens or hundreads of server chips power to compute it?  Do you know any?

"Always online" / "cloud computing" = It is all about having control over product, always online is best DRM and sales managment.

This has actually upset me quite a bit. I'm way more into SC than Elite, but I did plan to buy it once released. But I did intend to play it like a single player game. Even if that's still possible (but with the need to be online), I think it's a shady move.

Maybe I'll just stay away from it and continue the alpha journey in SC

Isn't SC always online too?

Additionally I personally think that SC will be much more heavily monetized that Elite.

There is one resounding advantage to Always on-line. It is indeed DRM. Pirated games are so 2013.

That said, having control over to patch or not, the ability to mod your own game and the ability to keep playing forever even if the service shuts down are no small things either.

I guess all the pirating we did came with a price. Enter the era of Always on-line gaming.