LOTROCommunity

Turbine sending out TP codes. RNG at work again.

I have two accounts.

One is my main account which I used to have subbed as VIP.  I cancelled VIP last year when Helm's Derp released.  It's currently Premium and I have every expansion, raid, instance, skirmish, quest pack, etc..  When I looked on myaccount.turbine.com for this one yesterday, there was no address entered.

The second account has always been "Free to Play" and I only subbed as VIP for one month to get the benefits for a couple of characters on it and it was during the free 2 weeks of VIP promo they ran at the end of the year last year.  This account has a couple of expansions, several quest packs and a few other things on it.  When I looked at myaccount.turbine.com it had my address in it from when I created the account.

I have yet to receive anything in the mail from Turbine.

My guess is that you have to be VIP to be considered.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So... [X] Shitty unclear communication about opting. [X] RNG. [X] Black box process. Seems about right for Turbine.

Just lol.

I'm not purporting that the one million I came up with is based on fact making your Sapience reference not really appropriate. Just LOL. anyway no one has any numbers because Turbine doesn't divulge s

My guess is that you have to be VIP to be considered.

That would make sense, and explain why many forum users got the mail. It is a much smaller pool of players (who are VIP) and heavy forums users are more likely to be VIP than a random player (more likely to be premium or free).

To only offer or reward a select few people a gift alienates a lot of people who have been playing and supporting the game with time and money for years.  This is the atmosphere they have created and they need to be doing more to repair that breach in trust then handing out TP codes to "random" players.

I dont see how this alienates people anymore than Turbine staff handing out codes and player gatherings, which allows random people in one area to get the codes or handing out codes at game conventions that only a small number of players attend. Sending a letter and code to every player would be hugely expensive and that money could be far better spent. Send out some at random is good PR (or it should be) and if it goes to someone that hasnt logged in for a while and brings them back to the game then it could be beneficial to Turbine

I dont see how this alienates people anymore than Turbine staff handing out codes and player gatherings, which allows random people in one area to get the codes or handing out codes at game conventions that only a small number of players attend. Sending a letter and code to every player would be hugely expensive and that money could be far better spent. Send out some at random is good PR (or it should be) and if it goes to someone that hasnt logged in for a while and brings them back to the game then it could be beneficial to Turbine

Unlike receiving a random prize in the mail, I have a choice of whether I want to spend the money and go to a convention or other gathering they have.  They don't need to send a letter and code via snail mail to every player.  They have more than enough capability to send everyone an email or some other equally easy digital delivery service.

Unlike receiving a random prize in the mail, I have a choice of whether I want to spend the money and go to a convention or other gathering they have.  They don't need to send a letter and code via snail mail to every player.  They have more than enough capability to send everyone an email or some other equally easy digital delivery service.

Not everyone had a choice to go to the gatherings that Sapience held. Many of us could not afford to fly to the US to meet him, or co to any of the gaming conventions that Turbine used to go to. Out of all the players only a small number could go, and they often got cods for item that you could only get from these conventions, or from the party that Turbine held afterwards.

This is not the first time they have given items away to a small number of players, and it will most likely not be the last. It should be seen as a good thing, but some just cant see anything Turbine do as good no matter what it is. Some people just want to complain all the time and are never happy.

To me it looks like the letters are away to be more sincere to the players as they are handwritten and not some mass mailshot.

I am a bit confused... Wasn't the Customer Support hit the hardest during the last round of staff reduction?

And didn't they reduce the phone support work-hours shortly afterwards? Or I misremember it?

Is it the same people now - i.e. the remnants of this department - who are handwriting 100s if not 1000s of these cards?

Apparently these PR things do work to some degree because there are already those few cheering about how benevolent a company is Turbine.  Of course these are the same people that cheer that they're doing such a fine job when the servers go down for a day or more multiple times a year.  I think I'm going to let someone at Turbine set me on fire so I can thank them for pissing on me to put it out.

Apparently these PR things do work to some degree because there are already those few cheering about how benevolent a company is Turbine.  Of course these are the same people that cheer that they're doing such a fine job when the servers go down for a day or more multiple times a year.  I think I'm going to let someone at Turbine set me on fire so I can thank them for pissing on me to put it out.

I'll be paraphrasing that one in the future.