LOTROCommunity

Upcoming Space games (ED, SC): Review

I'm really interested in Elite: Dangerous as I'm a little bored with GW2, the game I've played exclusively since I left Lotro and I don't want to invest so much time in games any more, don't want to start a new game that needs to be played so much every day to not get left behind the progression. And most of all, I don't want a game that needs subscription ! Buy2Play like Gw2 ...

... and ED offers all that. I remember playing the first Elite on an Amstrad 464 back in the 1980s, had a lot of fun roaming the universe, mining and exploring and pirating. :D

Has anyone played ED beta ? What is recommended when it comes to steering my spaceship ? I don't want to spend 100$+ to buy a flight stick, but I guess some kind of joystick would be needed ...

I threw a bit of money in the general direction of Chris Robert's new toy. However, I purposely stay away from their forums and from the partial betas.

ED I dunno about, I never quite liked the less combat based space games, namely Privateer was a huge disappointment for me after Wing Commander.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played ED beta, but I have watched it on twitch a couple of times. Not sure if I will buy it. The way they handled single player/offline did put me off a bit.

But I will probably end up buying it anyway, just to have something to do until SC persistant universe alpha is out.

I have thrown quite a bit of cash at SC (nowhere near the amounts I spent on Lotro over the years tho). The Dogfighting module, or Arena Commander as it's called, is fun, but not really my kind of thing, atleast not until the bigger ships are flyable.

The FPS module coming early next year looks interesting, and the zero-g mechanics might make it a fun little game of it's own.

But what I'm really looking forward to is the big explorable universe they're building. The feeling I got from Freelancer looking for pirate bases and hidden jumpgates. To just take my constellation out to explore and trade.

And even if the hype for SC is huge, my own expectations has always been pretty low. As long as it's Freelancer with prettier graphics and the ability to walk around planetside I'll be happy. Right now it seems like it will be a lot more than that, so ofcourse I hope they can deliver on most of their promises.

I've backed for a nice Aurora LN over a year ago and I've already got my backing worth of entertainment just watching the project develop.

Haven't made much flytime in the Arena Commander though. It's too Alpha-ish. My own LN isn't in there yet and the controls are still being tweaked. I'd rather not spoil the experience for me by playing in it's current state.

Can't wait for the PU and tweaking the godmother out of my little Bessie, as I call my rocket-propelled four-barrelled turret.

50 bucks seems like a cool price for such a nice looking game.  How playable will it be without buying anything from the store though?  Will I be flying a glass bubble armed with pea-shooters against XWings and Colonial Vipers?  I'm thinking I might like to give this a try but might wait til I get my taxes back in February.  Still have to finish Dragon Age Inquisition.  The lack of a subscription seems to make it an easy game to dabble in and enjoy periodically.

50 bucks seems like a cool price for such a nice looking game. How playable will it be without buying anything from the store though? Will I be flying a glass bubble armed with pea-shooters against XWings and Colonial Vipers? I'm thinking I might like to give this a try but might wait til I get my taxes back in February. Still have to finish Dragon Age Inquisition. The lack of a subscription seems to make it an easy game to dabble in and enjoy periodically.

Are we talking ED or SC?

ED has only cosmetic items in their store, as far as I know, although I haven't really done much research as I will most likely only go SP if I get it.

SC on the other hand could ofcourse be considered p2w with the ships in the pledge packages (and they will also sell a limited amount of ingame currency after release). But it's the same as ED, it wont really matter if you intend to go solo or on private servers. In SC's Persistant Universe (Their Mega-server) you could ofcourse get an edge by RMT'ing a ship and equipment for it, but keep in mind that SC is quite a bit about multi-crew ships, so it wont really matter how decked out your single seater is when the orgs come rolling in in their Destroyers and Frigates (or even larger ships).

Are we talking ED or SC?

ED has only cosmetic items in their store, as far as I know, although I haven't really done much research as I will most likely only go SP if I get it.

Yeah, ED cosmetics = ship decals that you do not even see yourself (outside hangar) and so definately fluff ... I bought the Preorder Mercenary Edition, will get the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS for Xmas. Tomorrow will be release and I will not really dive into space before getting and getting used to my HOTAS, and when I do I will start in SP mode ... don't wanna get ganked by the Beta players that keep their ships/credits (there will not be a wipe! DUH!) and have months of practice.

Sneak-peeked into Combat Demo and now REALLY looking forward to full game :Y

There is ... actually you could choose to SP all the time if that's what you wish.

But I don't think ED will ever be a gankfest, for two reasons. One, the space is so vast that you can avoid real player contact if you stay off the "populated areas". Two, I think the game is not really attracting the ganking kind of players ... well at least I hope so.  ;)

EDIT: this is from a Reddit/ED post

4) Game modes

While the offline mode has been scrapped and you have to be online to play, you can still choose to play in one of three possible modes. All three offer the same functionality, the only difference is in player interaction and group makeup. All three modes happen in the same persistent universe, so e.g. if a solo player exhausts a trade route in his T9, every player in open, group and other solo players will feel it.

Open - open world with everyone else that plays open. You will meet peaceful traders, honorable pirates and crazy murderers alike, on both the NPC and PVP front.

Group - groups can be made up freely, and if you run in a group, you will only ever meet the players in that group. All sorts of NPCs as above.

Solo - You are the only player in your universe, everybody else is NPCs.

Hello, my name is CMDR Pisciculus and I'm noobishly flying around in my little Sidewinder :Y

I couldn't wait for Xmas and the HOTAS so I started my career in Elite Dangerous, playing with KB+M and I must admit I'm having a BLAST!!! I highly suggest doing some of the tutorials, especially the ones about docking, taking off and Supercruise/Hyperjump. ED has a steep learning curve, but once you know (at least) the basics it's really nice to actually decide what you want to do and what you want to be.

Played for a few hours the past two days and racked up a few credits, did some delivery missions and tried out trading (well, 4t cargo rack isn't that great but I tripled my creds in the first trade) and will continue to do so until I can afford the Hauler and some mining equipment, then try out mining. I postpone combat until I have my HOTAS, but from what I experienced in the tutorial missions and combat tutorial it's really something to look forward to.

Game runs smooth as butter on my comp in Ultra settings, graphics are really nice to look at, sound is great (Teufel 5.1 FTW!). Bytheway, the release went flawless, no queues nor crashes. I didn't expect that, after the Archeage debacle ;)

Did the first combat yesterday !

Was peacefully exploring a star system when I noticed laser beams ahead of me, so I slowly closed in and saw two Eagles attacking a Cobra MK III. Set my target on the Cobra and was told "This pilot is wanted!" and it's shields already down to 30somthing %. Those Eagles attacked poor Cobra from all sides, out-manouvering it and soon a voice told me "Target shields down!". Cobra hull down to 30% ... 20% ...10% ... I was floating close enough by now, so I thought to myself "Hey, why not!" and gave it a shot ...5% ... all my power to my weapons ... kaBOOM!

YEEEEHAW ... I got the kill-shot ! And a bounty of 52k creds ! For just 2 laser pew pew from my tiny noob Sidey, while those Eagles did all the work _O-

PS: All that was still in Single Player Mode, I wouldn't have dared to try kill-steal real players flying in Combat Ships !

Started with 1000 creds and the Sidewinder (4 slots storage), I made some more money selling exploration data and doing delivery and courier missions. Sold my Sidey and got me a Hauler, upgraded storage racks to 18 slots and now running trade biz. I'm at 200k crads now, thats halfway to getting a Cobra MK III ... and I still own my Eagle, that is more of a combat ship. Will try out Mercenary and Headhunter missions with it when I got the HOTAS.

PS: Still having a blast with the game, if you're into space games I highly recommend :Y

No, haven't played Wing Commander and what's Privateer ? Actually, the original Elite (1984) and Homeworld (1999) were the only space games I played.

Got my HOTAS finally, today I installed it and configured the buttons then played some hours to get used to it ... great addition to the game, steering is much better than KB+M. Also stocked up enough credits to get me a Cobra MK III, upgraded storage racks and found a nice trading route, each round trip gives 25k profits plus missions ...

... unfortunately, I pressed the Boost button a few minutes ago while taking off, crashed my Cobra with cargo full of Palladium into the station wall. Effers! Could barely afford the insurance, lost all cargo and am now back at 8000 creds.  |:(  So with no funds for trading left, tomorrow I have to check out bounty hunting and maybe I do a lil pirating  })

Wing Commander was a great space fighter shooter in the early 1990s. Chris Roberts then made a trader/travel type game named "Privateer" which people like me bought blind but didn't get into.

Trying to find out whether Elite is the former or the latter :-)

I googled ED. On the results page, saw this: "Spectacular Multiplayer Space Epic. On Sale Now, Only $59.99!"

Never mind.

It better be a really good game to make me pay $60. I know some people wouldn't care though. I would rather buy a great game for $20 on sale.

Wing Commander was a great space fighter shooter in the early 1990s. Chris Roberts then made a trader/travel type game named "Privateer" which people like me bought blind but didn't get into.

Well ED is kinda both  :)

The shooter part is if you choose to be a pirate, mercenary, assassin, head hunter ... but it's not an arcade-like shooter, more like a flight sim with "realistic" feel.

You could also choose to be a trader, equipping a big spaceship especially for that with lots of cargo space ... and if you want to, you could avoid fights and flee if someone confronts you.

Or you could equip your ship for travelling and exploring, or for mining asteroids.

Or you could choose to do everything, with a multi-functional ship.That's what I do right now, jumping around space systems exploring and if I stumble upon wanted ships or get interdicted, I shoot them and cash in bounties. I found a nice trade route that gives 30k profit, did that to get 500k for a good ship and some better equip ... but its a bit boring do just do that forever, so last night I cashed in bounties of 150k and had lots of fun with my kill-warrent scanner.  >:)

TLDR: Trading is a good start to get some credits and a better ship, bounty hunting is fun and profitable.

Nosam, I preordered for 40 Euros and got a HOTAS for another 40 Euros (xmas gift), but I expect to play Elite "exclusively" and for a long time, though more casual than hardcore. The big plus of ED is it's Buy-to-play. Another plus for me is the optional multiplayer mode, right now I prefer solo play. I think it is worth the initial investment.  :Y

Nosam, I preordered for 40 Euros and got a HOTAS for another 40 Euros (xmas gift), but I expect to play Elite "exclusively" and for a long time, though more casual than hardcore. The big plus of ED is it's Buy-to-play. Another plus for me is the optional multiplayer mode, right now I prefer solo play. I think it is worth the initial investment.  :Y

It does sound really cool, and I looked at some videos based on this thread. I will have to save up though, or wait for a sale, since my gaming budget is limited. $40 for a good game seems reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

... and after several hours of playing ED I have to agree to some of the mentioned flaws and limits.

- Exploration: I only used the Basic Discovery Scanner (BDS) that "finds" planets, stars, etc in unexplored systems within a certain range and when scanning them gives basic data. You can upgrade the BDS and expand the range. You can aditionally get a Detailed Surface Scanner, which gives detailed infos. After scanning them you can sell the data to Universal Cartographics.

BUT: after scanning a few systems, there's not really that much great stuff to discover and so this explo effect wears out quick. If you're not that guy who loves to stare at the stars through a telescope for hours/days/months ... well ... its getting boring fast.

- Trading: is needed to get a good start, to afford bigger/better ships and equipment and if done right, is highly profitable. Once you found a really good profitable trading route, you make credits quick and get a bigger ship to haul more cargo to get more profit. That said, I'm not that much into economic sims and doing statistics and market analysis when playing a game, reminds me too much of work ... so I accepted the need, but prefer the more combatty stuff.

BUT: it's just you, the single space trucker. Your effect on even a local market is small, not to mention bigger areas/multi-systems. And once you got the biggest ship with biggest cargo space, you fly back and forth, buy and sell ... for credits you don't really need any more. You make a million, a billion, a trillion ... but right now, you can't buy a station, own/rule a system. So what to do with the creds, watch them pile up ?

- Mining: I just did a sneak peak into that, basically you find a good place to mine, shoot asteroids with a mining laser, collect the bits, refine them, fly to a station and sell them. For credits. Some say it's meditative, others say it's boring. I'm more into pew pew stuff that fights back and is more of a challenge.

- Combat: The fights are really nice, give some good challenge. But once you got the Anaconda or Python, and are fully decked out, I guess the fights will get dull. Like, your M1A1 tank against that Mercedes truck / Porsche with machine gun mounted / other M1A1 ... sure, the last fight would be much about the pilots skills, but you know, once you got the M1A1 you can shoot them all and just have to avoid other M1A1s.

- Multiplayer: as its now, even if you play the MP mode you can't really interact, like go and do some bountyhunting together. Only one pilot gets the bounty, you can't share the loot, not even send your friend his share. And I've read that even if you are in the same instance of space, you might not see the same enemies as the pilot flying next to you. It's said that stuff like wings and other multiplayer features are coming ... now, it's actually non-existant.

- Missions: deliver this data/good frm ore to there, bring me some of this, find me some of that, shoot 4 of these, hunt that guy ... rinse, repeat. Sure will get boring after a while, is really missing some depth and variety.

TLDR: As non-beta player, I'm still kinda new to the game and having fun but really see the limitations and the flaws on the horizon. As a casual I might still enjoy the game as it is for a while and hopefully in that time features will be expanded, variety added and especially the multiplayer part had a work-over.

I don't know which kind of game Elite is more similar to, but I think your best bet is to simply research it yourself.   List of features + gameplay videos + reviews should be more than enough for yourself to know whenever ED is like Wing Commander or not.

Privateer was apparently modelled off of the original Elite, Frontier:Elite II and Frontier:First Encounters games, so the latter is probably closer.